No announcement yet.

Trial by Fire (314)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode was pretty good. I thought it was a descent piece of development for Grant. We are now finally starting to see his past more, I mean I don't remember ever reading much on any of Grant's back ground. But I thought we saw a bit more of Sivea throughout the entire episode, it was very emotional, and we found out alot about some of her character.
    The episode did remind me alot of an episode of Deep Space nine, called Starship Down. Where Kira had to talk to Sisko who was in a similar situation.
    I was alos beginning to miss the Valiant, and the whole episode arcs with them. It was nice to see the ship and the crew again. Any way, there you go.

Comment

Okay this episode has made me join the forum.

I love horizons episodes and character development. I read two episodes a night for weeks to catch up on them all.

The story is good, I love the moment between Shivea and Christine, but why did you have to commit a "star trek" technical flaw?

Shutting down power to life support doesn't immediately evacuate all the air in the rest of the ship. It stops recycling it. The lights go down. the heating/cooling gets turned off, the air stops moving but it's still there. Unless a hull breach occurred which it did do in sections. Just like a submarine. if you lose life support you don't die immediately. Your in it deep, but your not dead yet. The Russian sub Kursk is a good example, they estimate that survivors lived for some 24 hours after the ship had lost all power.

Now to help you out a plausible side scenario. The plasma storm is straining the cooling systems. Once Chase shut down life support to the rest of the ship the thermal storm that was raging outside(plasma is hot ) heated the air of the rest of the vessel thus making it impossible to breathe even though air is present. The life support system was drawing more energy, because it was trying to keep the ship cool. The weakening shields were letting some of that heat hit the hull thus heating it up.

Normally you guys are good enough to avoid little errors like that. I do enjoy stargate horizons. and I will wait for the next episode to hit the servers, so keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
        Okay this episode has made me join the forum.
        That's great to hear. And welcome to the forum!

I love horizons episodes and character development. I read two episodes a night for weeks to catch up on them all.
        Thanks a lot. I'm glad you've enjoyed the show so far.

The story is good, I love the moment between Shivea and Christine, but why did you have to commit a "star trek" technical flaw?

Shutting down power to life support doesn't immediately evacuate all the air in the rest of the ship. It stops recycling it. The lights go down. the heating/cooling gets turned off, the air stops moving but it's still there. Unless a hull breach occurred which it did do in sections. Just like a submarine. if you lose life support you don't die immediately. Your in it deep, but your not dead yet. The Russian sub Kursk is a good example, they estimate that survivors lived for some 24 hours after the ship had lost all power.
        Yeah, that's definitely a valid point. There's no official technical explanation for how exactly life support works on a Vorian ship. But in this case, it was necessary to go this way for story reasons. Often you kind of have to make compromisses, and chose what works best for the drama of the story. And in this case, we needed Sivea and Christine to be cut off from Chase, Tom and Yusuf.
        Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

One can theorize that life support also involves shielding radiation. With no life support system, the radiation flood the ship.
          Although they could walk around the ship, radiation is too dangerous for them AND if they opened a blast door, they risk to get radiation in the safe areas.

Comment

Originally posted by jmm View Post
            One can theorize that life support also involves shielding radiation. With no life support system, the radiation flood the ship.
            Although they could walk around the ship, radiation is too dangerous for them AND if they opened a blast door, they risk to get radiation in the safe areas.
            That is why i added the plasma storm heating up the ship theory. I understand the need to keep the groups separate for the story. I just thought the explanation was weak.

Comment

This episode was half and half for me. It was good in ways that it helped create a foundation for Chris and Sivea's up-and-coming friendship, more Grant backstory and more Grant/Callen developement. But beyond that, didn't particualy enjoy it.

The problem of such a large cast once again showed in this episode. In that by having such a large amount of characters, it seemed to bog down stuff at places. We'd got 3 scientists dying, doing pretty much nothing - no tension there BTW. It's about time someone was topped off.

This sort of episode would have worked alot better with only a few characters in the main focus. You could have devoted more time to Sivea/Chris and helped define them more.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                It's about time someone was topped off.
                Hmmm. Careful with what you say.

Spoiler:
                There might be something down the road that we won't see coming. There's a very big possiblity that before the season ends, someone from the regular cast may be leaving.

I warned you to be careful with what you say.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post

I warned you to be careful with what you say.
                  You just might get it.

Comment

:O SOMEONE ON THE CAST OUGHT TO DIE!

It'd be for the best of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
                      :O SOMEONE ON THE CAST OUGHT TO DIE!

It'd be for the best of the show.
                      But who do you chose to kill? How do you chose which one to give the axe, especially a VS?

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                        But who do you chose to kill? How do you chose which one to give the axe, especially a VS?
                        Why would it matter if it's a virtual series or a television series?

It's funny. If it happens on SG-1 or Atlantis, fans are upset. Here it seems you actually WANT someone to die.

But anyway. Feel free to speculate how to interpret what I said in the post above.

Comment

Why would it matter if it's a virtual series or a television series?

It's funny. If it happens on SG-1 or Atlantis, fans are upset. Here it seems you actually WANT someone to die.

But anyway. Feel free to speculate how to interpret what I said in the post above.
                          I don't want any one to die.
                          And why i think it matters more in a VS is if you are doing a television series there is the good old contract despute. The fastest way to get out of a contract is by killing the character off. In a VS it does not matter because there are no such things as contracts.
                          I don't know, maybe it is just me, but I would have a hard time killing off one of the main characters that i have laboured so long and so hard on for these past three years. Unless of course I was aiming for making a particular point with his/her death. But, thats just me, I would not just kill off a character.
                          Unless of course its Lenori?

Comment

The terms and conditions surrounding a character's departure, if indeed there is to be one as it seems, don't necessarily involve death. In sci-fi, nothing is concrete and nothing is as it seems. Hmmm, starting to sound like the SG1/SGA producers.
                            Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                            Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                            Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                            Stargate Destiny, Fan
                            Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                              I don't want any one to die.
                              And why i think it matters more in a VS is if you are doing a television series there is the good old contract despute. The fastest way to get out of a contract is by killing the character off. In a VS it does not matter because there are no such things as contracts.
                              I see what you mean. But what about the shows where actors and producers get along really well, and yet plenty of characters are killed off all the time? 24 comes to mind.

Actually, I think it's a little easier on a virtual show. Because every time you decide to kill off a character on a TV show, it also means you're going to let one of the actors go. Here's an example regarding "Path of Revelation." If anyone here hasn't read it, watch out for spoilers.

The decision to kill off General Williams was made very late in the game, even after the original first draft of the episode had been written, if I remember correctly. So if we'd shoot that, this change would have meant that we'd have to get together with John M. Jackson (the actor cast for Williams), and share the bad news with him. At the time we wrote "The Devil to Pay" we honestly had no idea that we'd be killing him off in the next episode.

So you'd talk to the actors, and because they're pros and understand how the business works, they usually completely understand the reasons, knowing you're not doing it because you didn't enjoy working with them on the show. That's just the nature of the business.

But anyway, the point is that here that's not too much of a problem. Even though when you love a character as well as the actor the character is written for, it's still a pretty tough thing to do. It wasn't an easy decision in the case of Williams, because we all liked him. But we all knew it was the right decision.

Comment

But Horizon needs a departure. With Atlantis/SG1, it wasn't that needed. I feel that you've got too many characters and it's not doing the other characters a favour.
                                sigpic
                                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                                X