Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant Emerald01's Avatar

McKay Got my DVDs - Some advice for TPTB

1. What happened to being able to hit "next" to skip the credits and go to the beginning of the main episode segment? That was a nice feature. Please go back to doing it that way for the season 3 dvds.

2. Please stop having Peter Deluise and Gary Jones do commentaries. They are not labeled, so I have no forewarning and suddenly I find I've wasted my time working my way into a commentary that ends up focusing mainly on SG1 and/or sex. I'd rather you put the time/energy/resources into something more interesting like better cast interviews, blooper reels, deleted scenes, a frog chewing its toenails, etc.

Those are the two main things. I'm only on the 5th ep of the second season and have just become irritated enough to turn on the computer and type this when I realized I was missing entire segments of episodes by clicking next. You guys did it right on the first set. Click Next, it just skips the titles. WHY is that such a hard thing to get? (This annoys me on the Lost DVDs, but at least their opening titles are all of 2 seconds.)

I love this show, but honestly, I am NOT happy with the purchase so far. Except for the Martin, David, Martin Commentaries, of course. Oh, and the one where Deluise actually was *involved* with the episode and talking to someone else *involved* with the show was okay.

And what *is* wrong with the PD/GJ commentary, anyway? It sounds like it's been heavily edited. Or like they had to block out some of what Peter said? Please tell me that he didn't have to be "bleeped" on a commentary.

I can't even be bothered to look at the special features at this point. I'm so utterly aggravated with these DVDs. All I ask is that you PLEASE fix this on the season 3 DVDs. I bought season 2, expecting the same general quality as season 1. I am disappointed. I hope season 3 rises to the bar set by season 1.

I love you guys. I do. Just please think a little when you're throwing the season 3 discs together?

Thank you kindly,
    Emerald

General

Default Re: Got my DVDs - Some advice for TPTB

Uh...they do label the commentaries; it's on the commentary page.

Lieutenant Colonel ussrelativity's Avatar

Just took a look on it on Amazon, and it is #6 in DVDs right now!

It is the highest in boxed season sets for now!

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald01 View Post
    1. What happened to being able to hit "next" to skip the credits and go to the beginning of the main episode segment? That was a nice feature. Please go back to doing it that way for the season 3 dvds.
    For crying out loud, it's 60 seconds!

2. Please stop having Peter Deluise and Gary Jones do commentaries. They are not labeled, so I have no forewarning and suddenly I find I've wasted my time working my way into a commentary that ends up focusing mainly on SG1 and/or sex. I'd rather you put the time/energy/resources into something more interesting like better cast interviews, blooper reels, deleted scenes, a frog chewing its toenails, etc.
    I never listen to the commentaries, so I've no comment.

Those are the two main things. I'm only on the 5th ep of the second season and have just become irritated enough to turn on the computer and type this when I realized I was missing entire segments of episodes by clicking next. You guys did it right on the first set. Click Next, it just skips the titles. WHY is that such a hard thing to get? (This annoys me on the Lost DVDs, but at least their opening titles are all of 2 seconds.)
    Again, it's 60 seconds. Let it go... Personally, I love the opening sequence. I like seeing a dramatic pose of each character with the actor's name displayed against clips from the show with the dramatic theme music.

I love this show, but honestly, I am NOT happy with the purchase so far. Except for the Martin, David, Martin Commentaries, of course. Oh, and the one where Deluise actually was *involved* with the episode and talking to someone else *involved* with the show was okay.
    Why are you not happy with the purchase? I assume you bought it for the 20 episodes and not for the bonus features, right? The bonus features are just that... a bonus.

And what *is* wrong with the PD/GJ commentary, anyway? It sounds like it's been heavily edited. Or like they had to block out some of what Peter said? Please tell me that he didn't have to be "bleeped" on a commentary.
    I never listen to the commentaries, so I've no comment.

I can't even be bothered to look at the special features at this point. I'm so utterly aggravated with these DVDs. All I ask is that you PLEASE fix this on the season 3 DVDs. I bought season 2, expecting the same general quality as season 1. I am disappointed. I hope season 3 rises to the bar set by season 1.
    You're not happy with the Season 2 DVD set, because you can't skip a 60-second introduction sequence and because the commentaries are goofy? No offense man, but you sound very spoiled. You should be happy you have all 20 episodes on DVD.

General

Oh, you should really listen to the commentaries DJ, they're usually very entertaining and informative.

so press fast forward instead of skip chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    so press fast forward instead of skip chapter.
    That's what I do.

If you don't like whoever's doing the commentary for an episode, don't listen to it, it's that easy. (I avoid the PD/GJ commentaries because I like commentaries where people actually talk about the episode that's being played.)

Airman

I like the people doing the commentaries, very informative and fun to watch...

The only thing i might've disliked is the special effects for the menu bar and what not... a little cheesy, i thought they could've uped it a bit. But i'm watching the episodes much more than the menu so it's not that big of a deal.

Hmm... I have to agree with the original author about the dvds. However I think the issues are not big or important as you other guys are already commenting. Still I think it is only good to point out these few things that still could and should be improved.

The ability to skip the credits is very nice feature and really simple to implement. I would hope to see this feature in every dvd box release of this kind. Of course it does not ruin the dvd or bother me too much if it is not there. But knowing how easy it would be to do I don't think it is too much to ask or at least wish for in the future releases.

What comes to the commentaries... they are a bonus as mentioned... but still it would be only fair to try to have interesting bonus material. I think it would be more fair to leave it simply out if there is no time or resources to do it well. What makes episode commentaries interesting or gives them any real 'bonus' value is that they really give some insight on the episode. Of course anyone can do commentary about anything, but clearly it get less and less interesting when the people making comments have less insight about the thing they are commenting about. Thinking about how many people actually are involved in creating of eatch episode, it really should not be a big problem finding couple of them to tell about how it was done... it does not always need to be the director or some other main guy...

In overall the dvd is ok though and I have no complaints about it. I am happy with it.... if only they could have less idiotic yelling from Rodney.

My season 1 dvds don't allow you to skip the credits either, so Im not sure what you are talking about. This set actually has a very nice scene selection upgrade and a play all feature, which is very nice.

Like others have said, the commentaries are bonus and optional, if you are really letting the 2 seconds it takes to look at who does a commentary before listening to it bother you, then thats too bad.

Overall these dvds have some of the best production quality of ANY tv series out there, and I don't think that is even a matter of opinion. Maybe you don't like the content, but the Audio/Video quality is fantastic, they include more extras that almost any other series, including commentary on every episode, and they are packaged nicely.

On the opening credits for the first three episodes, how do they handle it in U.S. syndication? Do they use the 60-second Season 2 opening credits or the 60-second opening credits from Season 1 on the first three (which are on this DVD)? I can't remember what they did for syndication. And what did Canada air?

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by macphoen View Post
    On the opening credits for the first three episodes, how do they handle it in U.S. syndication? Do they use the 60-second Season 2 opening credits or the 60-second opening credits from Season 1 on the first three (which are on this DVD)? I can't remember what they did for syndication. And what did Canada air?
    The US syndication run I've seen used S1 credits for first three episodes, then S2 credits for the rest. Both are 60 seconds.
    Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
    Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
    -Clueless Lemming Cretin-
    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...emmingsig4.jpg
    Image by Cailliath

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macphoen View Post
    in my area there are showing the full opening credits from season 2

anyone having trouble finding the season 2 set? I went to Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart and none of them had it. BB had the tags but no sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    anyone having trouble finding the season 2 set? I went to Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart and none of them had it. BB had the tags but no sets.
    There's an outside chance it's already sold out, or perhaps they haven't received them yet. For my area, it is really slow.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    Oh, you should really listen to the commentaries DJ, they're usually very entertaining and informative.
    Never is too strong a word. I should have said, "usually don't." I mostly listen to commentaries to paticular scenes. I only watch 2-3 hours of TV in a day. If I'm gonna watch Atlantis, I'm going to watch it without the commentary.

I prefer the featurettes that are dedicated to individual episodes or the season as a whole.

I always like to watch it without the commentaries first, then afterwards with the commentaries.

Hmm, these things have already been mentioned by Australians like myself who purchased the Boxset months ago including there being the PD/GJ commentaries. *shrugs*

My only problem really with the DVDs is the price for what you get, 20 eps, no real specials (just the little ones) and they missed a shot in the episode The Siege pt 3 that should have been left in!!! (but I already started a thread for that ages ago so... )

All DVDs have annoying features, although I do agree SGA ones are fairly annoying, I find the navigating tiresome even season one's gave me a headache and what is with all the bloody ads!

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    My only problem really with the DVDs is the price for what you get, 20 eps, no real specials (just the little ones) and they missed a shot in the episode The Siege pt 3 that should have been left in!!! (but I already started a thread for that ages ago so... )
    They did? Which shot? Or could you point me to this other thread? Thanks!
    Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
    Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
    -Clueless Lemming Cretin-
    http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...emmingsig4.jpg
    Image by Cailliath

Chief Master Sergeant Emerald01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    For crying out loud, it's 60 seconds!
    The season 1 DVDs, and the SG1 dvds I've watched let you just skip the credits and go right to the begining of the main episode. There is NO reason they couldn't have done this. It's easy and logical. Instead, I get to fast forward through the credits. Stop it. Then rewind the proper spot because inevitably, it gets over shot, or I have to watch part of the credits. I've seen them countless times, I don't need to see them again. It gets very, very old. And making it so that it skips to the right spot is EASY and a convenience that shouldn't have been left out.

Asafor the commentaries being labeled, I later discovered that they're labeled if you go in through the Special Features menu, but they are not labeled in the section for each episode or on the covers. Even so, I'd rather they didn't waste the time on a commentary with PD/GJ and just do something more interesting instead. It can't be THAT hard to find SOMEone who actually worked on the episode to comment. I'd settle for the effects supervisor or one of the camera operators. Or an editor. I love getting different perspectives on the production of the show. I just want it to be from someone who worked on the ep and who won't end up talking about SG1 the whole time. I do NOT need to listen to PD and GJ discuss the upcoming 200th episode of SG1. *yawn* To think they could have done something actually interesting with that time and energy. It's aggravating.

Again, it's 60 seconds. Let it go... Personally, I love the opening sequence. I like seeing a dramatic pose of each character with the actor's name displayed against clips from the show with the dramatic theme music.
    That's great for you. But please don't tell me what to do. I happen to find the 2nd season titles dull, and even if I didn't, I don't need to watch them every time I watch an episode. It's just not unreasonable to have the option to skip them if I want.
    Why are you not happy with the purchase? I assume you bought it for the 20 episodes and not for the bonus features, right? The bonus features are just that... a bonus.
    Incorrect. Bonus features are what MAKE dvds. If I just wanted to watch the eps again, I'd pull them back up on the DVR. Any reviewer will tell you the same thing. Good bonus features are what make a good DVD. So, no. I didn't just buy them for the episodes. I bought them for the inside looks at things, the secrets they show, the interesting commentaries by people who actually know about the show.

The commentaries by cast and crew are informative and interesting. I love watching the episodes with the commentaries. I learn things, and they are entertaining. They give insight to the people behind the show as well.

If having come to expect a quality, careful production is spoiled, then I guess I am. I am happy with having the episodes. I am LOVING some of the commentaries so far. At least I found the back way into the commentaries so I can skip the icky ones with PD. The sad part is that I've come to dislike his commentary so much that I can't listen even when he actually was invlolved with the episode. And that makes me sad. I used to like PD a lot when he did other shows and stuff.

I have some complaints about the DVD set. They're not even unreasonable issues. And certainly no reason for you to start with the name-calling. Think about it. What could have been your point in replying? To convince me that I should just be content with what I have? If so, your tone really countered any hopes of that. You are more than welcome to disagree with me. But please leave the condescension behind next time.

In general, I am indeed happy with my set, but if you don't let someone know you want something improved, then it won't get done. I don't see the problem. Other than having to apparently justify my opinion to a certain few. If you happen to think that the ability to skip the titles is a detriment, then by all means, say so, and we can debate the pros and cons. Personally, I don't see a down side to it, so why should it worry you?

If you wish to debate having PD/GJ commentaries as opposed to features that have more related to the show, then I'm for that. I loved the blooper reels on the dvds for 1st season, and I love seeing deleted scenes. These are tried and true special features that have become standard on most DVDs. And they're already on film. They just have to be thrown together for the discs. I think it would be much more sensible, economical, and entertaining to have those than to have had PD and GJ sit down and babble.

Well, that was quite a ramble. But seriously, at least I can say that I would say this same thing to any of these people in person, if it came up in conversation. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I love the show, and overall, the DVDs are enjoyable. It happened to hit me after accidentally star6ting two PD commentaries and then I watched a whole episode that I hadn't seen before (Conversion) and went "What is he apologizing to Teyla about?" That was when I realized I must have missed something and found that I had missed a huge chunk of the episode because I clicked Next like I do with my season 1 discs. How silly of me.

So there you go. I stand by my opinion. Those who disagree are welcome to do so. I'm sure there are folks who love the PD/GJ commentaries because they've been hardcore SG1 fans for a long time and will take what they can. I just feel that Atlantis is getting short shrift in a lot of ways. But that's a whole different rant.

Cheers!
    Em

ARGH! Again with having to FF through the credits! argh! I'm trying to just watch this episode of a darn good show without interruptions!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast