This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    Oh, you should really listen to the commentaries DJ, they're usually very entertaining and informative.
    Never is too strong a word. I should have said, "usually don't." I mostly listen to commentaries to paticular scenes. I only watch 2-3 hours of TV in a day. If I'm gonna watch Atlantis, I'm going to watch it without the commentary.

I prefer the featurettes that are dedicated to individual episodes or the season as a whole.

Comment

I always like to watch it without the commentaries first, then afterwards with the commentaries.

Comment

Hmm, these things have already been mentioned by Australians like myself who purchased the Boxset months ago including there being the PD/GJ commentaries. *shrugs*

My only problem really with the DVDs is the price for what you get, 20 eps, no real specials (just the little ones) and they missed a shot in the episode The Siege pt 3 that should have been left in!!! (but I already started a thread for that ages ago so... )

All DVDs have annoying features, although I do agree SGA ones are fairly annoying, I find the navigating tiresome even season one's gave me a headache and what is with all the bloody ads!

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
          My only problem really with the DVDs is the price for what you get, 20 eps, no real specials (just the little ones) and they missed a shot in the episode The Siege pt 3 that should have been left in!!! (but I already started a thread for that ages ago so... )
          They did? Which shot? Or could you point me to this other thread? Thanks!
          Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
          Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
          -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
            For crying out loud, it's 60 seconds!
            The season 1 DVDs, and the SG1 dvds I've watched let you just skip the credits and go right to the begining of the main episode. There is NO reason they couldn't have done this. It's easy and logical. Instead, I get to fast forward through the credits. Stop it. Then rewind the proper spot because inevitably, it gets over shot, or I have to watch part of the credits. I've seen them countless times, I don't need to see them again. It gets very, very old. And making it so that it skips to the right spot is EASY and a convenience that shouldn't have been left out.

Asafor the commentaries being labeled, I later discovered that they're labeled if you go in through the Special Features menu, but they are not labeled in the section for each episode or on the covers. Even so, I'd rather they didn't waste the time on a commentary with PD/GJ and just do something more interesting instead. It can't be THAT hard to find SOMEone who actually worked on the episode to comment. I'd settle for the effects supervisor or one of the camera operators. Or an editor. I love getting different perspectives on the production of the show. I just want it to be from someone who worked on the ep and who won't end up talking about SG1 the whole time. I do NOT need to listen to PD and GJ discuss the upcoming 200th episode of SG1. *yawn* To think they could have done something actually interesting with that time and energy. It's aggravating.

Again, it's 60 seconds. Let it go... Personally, I love the opening sequence. I like seeing a dramatic pose of each character with the actor's name displayed against clips from the show with the dramatic theme music.
            That's great for you. But please don't tell me what to do. I happen to find the 2nd season titles dull, and even if I didn't, I don't need to watch them every time I watch an episode. It's just not unreasonable to have the option to skip them if I want.
            Why are you not happy with the purchase? I assume you bought it for the 20 episodes and not for the bonus features, right? The bonus features are just that... a bonus.
            Incorrect. Bonus features are what MAKE dvds. If I just wanted to watch the eps again, I'd pull them back up on the DVR. Any reviewer will tell you the same thing. Good bonus features are what make a good DVD. So, no. I didn't just buy them for the episodes. I bought them for the inside looks at things, the secrets they show, the interesting commentaries by people who actually know about the show.

The commentaries by cast and crew are informative and interesting. I love watching the episodes with the commentaries. I learn things, and they are entertaining. They give insight to the people behind the show as well.

If having come to expect a quality, careful production is spoiled, then I guess I am. I am happy with having the episodes. I am LOVING some of the commentaries so far. At least I found the back way into the commentaries so I can skip the icky ones with PD. The sad part is that I've come to dislike his commentary so much that I can't listen even when he actually was invlolved with the episode. And that makes me sad. I used to like PD a lot when he did other shows and stuff.

I have some complaints about the DVD set. They're not even unreasonable issues. And certainly no reason for you to start with the name-calling. Think about it. What could have been your point in replying? To convince me that I should just be content with what I have? If so, your tone really countered any hopes of that. You are more than welcome to disagree with me. But please leave the condescension behind next time.

In general, I am indeed happy with my set, but if you don't let someone know you want something improved, then it won't get done. I don't see the problem. Other than having to apparently justify my opinion to a certain few. If you happen to think that the ability to skip the titles is a detriment, then by all means, say so, and we can debate the pros and cons. Personally, I don't see a down side to it, so why should it worry you?

If you wish to debate having PD/GJ commentaries as opposed to features that have more related to the show, then I'm for that. I loved the blooper reels on the dvds for 1st season, and I love seeing deleted scenes. These are tried and true special features that have become standard on most DVDs. And they're already on film. They just have to be thrown together for the discs. I think it would be much more sensible, economical, and entertaining to have those than to have had PD and GJ sit down and babble.

Well, that was quite a ramble. But seriously, at least I can say that I would say this same thing to any of these people in person, if it came up in conversation. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I love the show, and overall, the DVDs are enjoyable. It happened to hit me after accidentally star6ting two PD commentaries and then I watched a whole episode that I hadn't seen before (Conversion) and went "What is he apologizing to Teyla about?" That was when I realized I must have missed something and found that I had missed a huge chunk of the episode because I clicked Next like I do with my season 1 discs. How silly of me.

So there you go. I stand by my opinion. Those who disagree are welcome to do so. I'm sure there are folks who love the PD/GJ commentaries because they've been hardcore SG1 fans for a long time and will take what they can. I just feel that Atlantis is getting short shrift in a lot of ways. But that's a whole different rant.

Cheers!
            Em

ARGH! Again with having to FF through the credits! argh! I'm trying to just watch this episode of a darn good show without interruptions!
            Emerald
            ~ Ninja Squirrel ~ Attack Squirrel ~
            I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald01 View Post
              The season 1 DVDs, and the SG1 dvds I've watched let you just skip the credits and go right to the begining of the main episode. There is NO reason they couldn't have done this.
              Weird, my season 1 sets don't let you skip. They have the most worthless chapter breaks of any dvds I have. You are right though, it is annoying regardless. I always assumed it was some misguided attempt to make you see the credits.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring View Post
                They did? Which shot? Or could you point me to this other thread? Thanks!
                http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27997

Comment

Yeah, I remember that thread. Weird thing, that. Personally, I always wished they'd skip the "previously on" things and put director's cut versions of the episodes on the DVDs, but that's one of my "I wish" things for all DVD sets.

Cheers!
                  Em
                  Emerald
                  ~ Ninja Squirrel ~ Attack Squirrel ~
                  I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald01 View Post
                    The season 1 DVDs, and the SG1 dvds I've watched let you just skip the credits and go right to the begining of the main episode. There is NO reason they couldn't have done this. It's easy and logical. Instead, I get to fast forward through the credits. Stop it. Then rewind the proper spot because inevitably, it gets over shot, or I have to watch part of the credits. I've seen them countless times, I don't need to see them again. It gets very, very old. And making it so that it skips to the right spot is EASY and a convenience that shouldn't have been left out.
                    I understand your frustration, but as I've said before, it's only 60 seconds. Is it really that bad for you to listen to a minute of theme music?

Asafor the commentaries being labeled, I later discovered that they're labeled if you go in through the Special Features menu, but they are not labeled in the section for each episode or on the covers. Even so, I'd rather they didn't waste the time on a commentary with PD/GJ and just do something more interesting instead. It can't be THAT hard to find SOMEone who actually worked on the episode to comment. I'd settle for the effects supervisor or one of the camera operators. Or an editor. I love getting different perspectives on the production of the show. I just want it to be from someone who worked on the ep and who won't end up talking about SG1 the whole time. I do NOT need to listen to PD and GJ discuss the upcoming 200th episode of SG1. *yawn* To think they could have done something actually interesting with that time and energy. It's aggravating.
                    I don't listen to commentaries, so no comment.

That's great for you. But please don't tell me what to do. I happen to find the 2nd season titles dull, and even if I didn't, I don't need to watch them every time I watch an episode. It's just not unreasonable to have the option to skip them if I want.
                    First off, thanks. Second, how is telling you what I like telling you what to do? I don't understand. You're right, it's not unreasonable to have the option to skip them. Those who made the DVD menus probably didn't think that people would want to skip the credits. Again, it's just a minute, I don't see why it's a big deal. I honestly don't.

Incorrect. Bonus features are what MAKE dvds.
                    I buy the Atlantis DVD's for the episodes. The pressense of lack of bonus features have no effect on weather or not I purchase Stargate: Atlantis DVD's. I wasn't aware people bought the sets soley for the bonus features.

If I just wanted to watch the eps again, I'd pull them back up on the DVR. Any reviewer will tell you the same thing.
                    Not everyone has a DVR. I certainly don't, nor do I care to have one. If I like a movie or TV show enough to watch it more than once or twice, I go buy the DVD.

Good bonus features are what make a good DVD.
                    That varies from person to person. I only buy Special Edition DVD's loaded with special features if it's a favorite movie. If it's just a random movie I'd like to own, I just buy whatever edition I run across first.

So, no. I didn't just buy them for the episodes. I bought them for the inside looks at things, the secrets they show, the interesting commentaries by people who actually know about the show.
                    I understand. I just wasn't aware people did this.

The commentaries by cast and crew are informative and interesting. I love watching the episodes with the commentaries. I learn things, and they are entertaining. They give insight to the people behind the show as well.
                    Understood.

If having come to expect a quality, careful production is spoiled, then I guess I am.
                    I didn't say expecting quality, careful production is spoiled. I do think that complaining over the inability to skip a 60-second sequence at the press of a button sounds spoiled. Sometimes, you just have to make do. Sorry.

I am happy with having the episodes.
                    Awesome!

I have some complaints about the DVD set. They're not even unreasonable issues.
                    The commentary complaint is valid. The inability to skip a 60-second sequence is not (in my opinion). It's one minute for crying out loud!

And certainly no reason for you to start with the name-calling.
                    Please, don't make false accusations. I did not engage in name calling. I specifically said, "No offense man, but you sound very spoiled." That is not name calling. If you can't handle that type of statement, well... wow... how do you get along with people who disagree with you?

What could have been your point in replying? To convince me that I should just be content with what I have?
                    Yes.

If so, your tone really countered any hopes of that.
                    It's text on a screen. It has no tone.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me.

But please leave the condescension behind next time.
                    It was not my intent to be condescending. I appologize if I made you feel bad.

In general, I am indeed happy with my set
                    Woo-hoo!

if you don't let someone know you want something improved, then it won't get done.
                    Agreed.

I don't see the problem.
                    There isn't one. I simply don't agree with your opinion on skipping the credits, that is all.

Other than having to apparently justify my opinion to a certain few.
                    You don't have to justify your opinion, but you must realise that this is a message board, and thus people are allowed to disagree with you.

If you happen to think that the ability to skip the titles is a detriment, then by all means, say so, and we can debate the pros and cons.
                    I don't think it's a detriment, I just think it doesn't matter one way or the other. I always watch the credits, but if I were in your shoes and couldn't skip the credits, I would just shrug my shoulders and let them play while I play with my cat.

Personally, I don't see a down side to it, so why should it worry you?
                    It doesn't worry me. You posted a complaint about the DVD chapter selection, so I responded. That is why you started the thread... so people could respond... right?

If you wish to debate having PD/GJ commentaries as opposed to features that have more related to the show, then I'm for that.
                    Why one or the other? I think they should have both! There should be a commentary for each episode plus about 3-5 half-hour featurettes on the season as a whole.

I loved the blooper reels on the dvds for 1st season, and I love seeing deleted scenes.
                    I don't care for bloopers, but I love deleted scenes. That is probably my favorite DVD special feature: deleted scenes.

These are tried and true special features that have become standard on most DVDs. And they're already on film. They just have to be thrown together for the discs.
                    Indeed.

I think it would be much more sensible, economical, and entertaining to have those than to have had PD and GJ sit down and babble.
                    Why not have both?

Well, that was quite a ramble.
                    Long posts are thought provoking.

But seriously, at least I can say that I would say this same thing to any of these people in person, if it came up in conversation. I'm not trying to be mean or anything. I love the show, and overall, the DVDs are enjoyable. It happened to hit me after accidentally star6ting two PD commentaries and then I watched a whole episode that I hadn't seen before (Conversion) and went "What is he apologizing to Teyla about?" That was when I realized I must have missed something and found that I had missed a huge chunk of the episode because I clicked Next like I do with my season 1 discs. How silly of me.
                    Never seeing the episode title and post credit credits should have tipped you off.

ARGH! Again with having to FF through the credits! argh! I'm trying to just watch this episode of a darn good show without interruptions!
                    It's not an interuption, it's part of the episode! lol

Comment

This will help folks pick and choose commentaires.... I'm going for ones with SGA actors first and producers....

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/sho...w.php3?ID=9270

Big review at the URL above, but here are the extra details

Commentaries

The Siege, Part III: Director Martin Wood, Writer Martin Gero, Joe Flanigan, and David Hewlett
                      The Intruder: Director Peter DeLuise and Actor Gary Jones
                      Runner: Martin Wood and David Hewlett
                      Duet: Peter DeLuise, Martin Gero, and David Hewlett
                      Condemned: Peter DeLuise and Gary Jones
                      Trinity: Martin Wood and Writer Damien Kindler
                      Conversion: Martin Gero, Joe Flanigan, and David Hewlett
                      Aurora: Martin Wood and Peter DeLuise
                      The Lost Boys: Martin Gero, Joe Flanigan, and David Hewlett
                      The Hive: Martin Wood
                      Epiphany: Director Neil Fearnley
                      Critical Mass: Director Andy Mikita, Rachel Luttrell, and Director of Photography Benton Spencer
                      Grace Under Pressure: Martin Wood, Martin Gero, Amanda Tapping, and David Hewlett
                      The Tower: Producer Paul Mullie and Andy Mikita
                      Long Goodbye: Andy Mikita, Torri Higginson, and Benton Spencer
                      Coup d'Etat: Martin Wood, Martin Gero, and David Hewlett
                      Michael: Martin Wood and Peter DeLuise
                      Inferno: Peter DeLuise and Gary Jones
                      Allies: Andy Mikita, Martin Gero, and David Hewlett

Mission Directive: The Siege, Part II featuring Director Martin Wood (10:46)
                      This featurette begins with some lengthy plot summary from Martin Wood that
                      is probably not necessary on a bonus feature. Following this segment, we do
                      receive some good information about visual effects and the light tone on the set.
                      Wood also discusses the changes to Lieutenant Ford and the need to introduce
                      jeopardy for the primary characters.

Mission Directive: The Intruder featuring Director Peter DeLuise (11:00)
                      Peter DeLuise also begins this piece with some plot summary, but it is
                      briefer than in the previous feature. He openly describes how it rips off SG-1's
                      episode Entity, and speaks with his typical enjoyable demeanor. The best element
                      involves the discussion of filming challenges, which covers the use of the
                      same sets to depict multiple areas.

Mission Directive: Instinct featuring Director Andy Mikita
                      (15:09)
                      Andy Mikita's features are usually the most informative, straightforward
                      extras among the directors. These piece's comments praise the script, describe his
                      enjoyment of filming outdoors, and identify some old SG-1 items present in
                      the lab set. We also view some good behind-the-scenes footage with shots from
                      both inside the camera and out.

Introduction to a Character: Ronon Dex (15:06)
                      This worthwhile introduction avoids fluff and includes some great material
                      from Robert C. Cooper and Martin Wood about the reasons for creating Ronon.
                      Jason Momoa had never seen Stargate before or fired a gun, but he appears to be
                      very proud of the part. This featurette includes lots of clips, but they are
                      accompanied by interesting comments and do work for this type of profile.

Road to a Dream with Martin Gero (19:16)
                      This hilarious featurette attempts the tongue-in-cheek humor that often fails
                      on DVD features, and it actually succeeds. Set up like a documentary with an
                      off-screen interviewer, it chronicles Writer Martin Gero's supposed attempts
                      to become an actor, and the result is plenty of big laughs. He tests the
                      Scottish accent with Paul McGillion, rehearses a fun scene with David Hewlett, and
                      tries to one-up Rachel Luttrell with his "acting background." Gero's attempts
                      to sneak in front of the camera during an infirmary scene are classic.

Profile On: David Hewlett (20:51)
                      This lengthy profile covers the series' most entertaining actor, David
                      Hewlett, who plays the neurotic Dr. McKay. He was cast at the last minute to replace
                      a character who wasn't working, and I cannot imagine the show without him.
                      This feature also covers the difficulties of giving him so much exposition and
                      techno-babble during each week. This enjoyable profile concludes with a few
                      quick questions from fans.

Stargate Atlantis: Stunts (18:21)
                      This enjoyable feature focuses on Stunt Coordinator James "Bambam" Bamford,
                      who showcases tremendous enthusiasm for his craft. He usually choreographs the
                      fights within a very short time, and then films rehearsal tapes to assist the
                      directors during filming. We also see multiple shots of Paul McGillion jumping
                      on a mat to avoid a CGI Wraith dart and hear from Rachel Luttrell about
                      preparing for her complex stick fights.

Profile On: Paul McGillion (20:43)
                      This considerable profile introduces one big surprise that I had somehow
                      missed to this point—Paul McGillion doesn't speak with a Scottish accent. His does
                      have a Scottish background and was born there, but his English is fairly
                      standard. This feature spends a good deal of time covering McGillion's friendship w
                      ith David Hewlett, and their silly scenes in Duet receive significant
                      coverage. The two actors goof off during much of the later moments, which is fun but
                      could have been shortened.

************ click on link for full review******

My feeling? no offense, but ditch Gary Jones and get in David Nykl and/or Kavan Smith! Oh evenPaul McGillion, heck, he sure as heck better do "Sunday."

Comment

Inferno: Peter DeLuise and Gary Jones

i would rather listen to nails on a board
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Why does Gary Jones comment on episodes he's not even in?

Comment

Why does Gary Jones comment on episodes he's not even in?
                            i think it's in his contract. there's no reason for him to be there at all.
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                              anyone having trouble finding the season 2 set? I went to Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart and none of them had it. BB had the tags but no sets.
                              YES! I almost pre-ordered but figured I'ld get it day of and watch it that night and no one has it here in Nashville. NO ONE. I even made sales guys call other stores...ha!

Damn I miss DC......

Anywho, I'm ordering it off Amazon..should have done that first, I would have had it by now.

sigpic
                              www.savecarsonbeckett.com
                              Visit My Flickr!!

Comment

I decided to check and they did it on ours too. Makes no sense but I'm not going to let 5 seconds bother me too much.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X