This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my DVDs - Some advice for TPTB

1. What happened to being able to hit "next" to skip the credits and go to the beginning of the main episode segment? That was a nice feature. Please go back to doing it that way for the season 3 dvds.

2. Please stop having Peter Deluise and Gary Jones do commentaries. They are not labeled, so I have no forewarning and suddenly I find I've wasted my time working my way into a commentary that ends up focusing mainly on SG1 and/or sex. I'd rather you put the time/energy/resources into something more interesting like better cast interviews, blooper reels, deleted scenes, a frog chewing its toenails, etc.

Those are the two main things. I'm only on the 5th ep of the second season and have just become irritated enough to turn on the computer and type this when I realized I was missing entire segments of episodes by clicking next. You guys did it right on the first set. Click Next, it just skips the titles. WHY is that such a hard thing to get? (This annoys me on the Lost DVDs, but at least their opening titles are all of 2 seconds.)

I love this show, but honestly, I am NOT happy with the purchase so far. Except for the Martin, David, Martin Commentaries, of course. Oh, and the one where Deluise actually was *involved* with the episode and talking to someone else *involved* with the show was okay.

And what *is* wrong with the PD/GJ commentary, anyway? It sounds like it's been heavily edited. Or like they had to block out some of what Peter said? Please tell me that he didn't have to be "bleeped" on a commentary.

I can't even be bothered to look at the special features at this point. I'm so utterly aggravated with these DVDs. All I ask is that you PLEASE fix this on the season 3 DVDs. I bought season 2, expecting the same general quality as season 1. I am disappointed. I hope season 3 rises to the bar set by season 1.

I love you guys. I do. Just please think a little when you're throwing the season 3 discs together?

Thank you kindly,
    Emerald
    Emerald
    ~ Ninja Squirrel ~ Attack Squirrel ~
    I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Uh...they do label the commentaries; it's on the commentary page.

Comment

Just took a look on it on Amazon, and it is #6 in DVDs right now!

It is the highest in boxed season sets for now!

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald01 View Post
        1. What happened to being able to hit "next" to skip the credits and go to the beginning of the main episode segment? That was a nice feature. Please go back to doing it that way for the season 3 dvds.
        For crying out loud, it's 60 seconds!

2. Please stop having Peter Deluise and Gary Jones do commentaries. They are not labeled, so I have no forewarning and suddenly I find I've wasted my time working my way into a commentary that ends up focusing mainly on SG1 and/or sex. I'd rather you put the time/energy/resources into something more interesting like better cast interviews, blooper reels, deleted scenes, a frog chewing its toenails, etc.
        I never listen to the commentaries, so I've no comment.

Those are the two main things. I'm only on the 5th ep of the second season and have just become irritated enough to turn on the computer and type this when I realized I was missing entire segments of episodes by clicking next. You guys did it right on the first set. Click Next, it just skips the titles. WHY is that such a hard thing to get? (This annoys me on the Lost DVDs, but at least their opening titles are all of 2 seconds.)
        Again, it's 60 seconds. Let it go... Personally, I love the opening sequence. I like seeing a dramatic pose of each character with the actor's name displayed against clips from the show with the dramatic theme music.

I love this show, but honestly, I am NOT happy with the purchase so far. Except for the Martin, David, Martin Commentaries, of course. Oh, and the one where Deluise actually was *involved* with the episode and talking to someone else *involved* with the show was okay.
        Why are you not happy with the purchase? I assume you bought it for the 20 episodes and not for the bonus features, right? The bonus features are just that... a bonus.

And what *is* wrong with the PD/GJ commentary, anyway? It sounds like it's been heavily edited. Or like they had to block out some of what Peter said? Please tell me that he didn't have to be "bleeped" on a commentary.
        I never listen to the commentaries, so I've no comment.

I can't even be bothered to look at the special features at this point. I'm so utterly aggravated with these DVDs. All I ask is that you PLEASE fix this on the season 3 DVDs. I bought season 2, expecting the same general quality as season 1. I am disappointed. I hope season 3 rises to the bar set by season 1.
        You're not happy with the Season 2 DVD set, because you can't skip a 60-second introduction sequence and because the commentaries are goofy? No offense man, but you sound very spoiled. You should be happy you have all 20 episodes on DVD.

Comment

Oh, you should really listen to the commentaries DJ, they're usually very entertaining and informative.

Comment

so press fast forward instead of skip chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              so press fast forward instead of skip chapter.
              That's what I do.

If you don't like whoever's doing the commentary for an episode, don't listen to it, it's that easy. (I avoid the PD/GJ commentaries because I like commentaries where people actually talk about the episode that's being played.)

Comment

I like the people doing the commentaries, very informative and fun to watch...

The only thing i might've disliked is the special effects for the menu bar and what not... a little cheesy, i thought they could've uped it a bit. But i'm watching the episodes much more than the menu so it's not that big of a deal.

Comment

Hmm... I have to agree with the original author about the dvds. However I think the issues are not big or important as you other guys are already commenting. Still I think it is only good to point out these few things that still could and should be improved.

The ability to skip the credits is very nice feature and really simple to implement. I would hope to see this feature in every dvd box release of this kind. Of course it does not ruin the dvd or bother me too much if it is not there. But knowing how easy it would be to do I don't think it is too much to ask or at least wish for in the future releases.

What comes to the commentaries... they are a bonus as mentioned... but still it would be only fair to try to have interesting bonus material. I think it would be more fair to leave it simply out if there is no time or resources to do it well. What makes episode commentaries interesting or gives them any real 'bonus' value is that they really give some insight on the episode. Of course anyone can do commentary about anything, but clearly it get less and less interesting when the people making comments have less insight about the thing they are commenting about. Thinking about how many people actually are involved in creating of eatch episode, it really should not be a big problem finding couple of them to tell about how it was done... it does not always need to be the director or some other main guy...

In overall the dvd is ok though and I have no complaints about it. I am happy with it.... if only they could have less idiotic yelling from Rodney.

Comment

My season 1 dvds don't allow you to skip the credits either, so Im not sure what you are talking about. This set actually has a very nice scene selection upgrade and a play all feature, which is very nice.

Like others have said, the commentaries are bonus and optional, if you are really letting the 2 seconds it takes to look at who does a commentary before listening to it bother you, then thats too bad.

Overall these dvds have some of the best production quality of ANY tv series out there, and I don't think that is even a matter of opinion. Maybe you don't like the content, but the Audio/Video quality is fantastic, they include more extras that almost any other series, including commentary on every episode, and they are packaged nicely.

Comment

On the opening credits for the first three episodes, how do they handle it in U.S. syndication? Do they use the 60-second Season 2 opening credits or the 60-second opening credits from Season 1 on the first three (which are on this DVD)? I can't remember what they did for syndication. And what did Canada air?

Comment

Originally posted by macphoen View Post
                        On the opening credits for the first three episodes, how do they handle it in U.S. syndication? Do they use the 60-second Season 2 opening credits or the 60-second opening credits from Season 1 on the first three (which are on this DVD)? I can't remember what they did for syndication. And what did Canada air?
                        The US syndication run I've seen used S1 credits for first three episodes, then S2 credits for the rest. Both are 60 seconds.
                        Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                        Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                        -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Originally posted by macphoen View Post
                          in my area there are showing the full opening credits from season 2
                          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

anyone having trouble finding the season 2 set? I went to Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart and none of them had it. BB had the tags but no sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                              anyone having trouble finding the season 2 set? I went to Circuit City, Best Buy and Wal-Mart and none of them had it. BB had the tags but no sets.
                              There's an outside chance it's already sold out, or perhaps they haven't received them yet. For my area, it is really slow.

Comment

Working...
                              X