This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-302 & Puddle Jumper Weight

I was sure I've asked this brfore but I searced and it came up empty so I guess I didn't. Anyway does anyone know the weight of an F-302 or a Puddle Jumper? Thanks

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

"Heavier than me."

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post
      "Heavier than me."
      Well that's a given.

On a serious note, I don't think the weight of a jumper/302 has ever been mentioned. Besides the obvious point, are we talking weight with the inertial dampening turned on or off?
      The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

What does inertial dampening systems have to do with weight? Inertial Dampeners are things that prevent things inside the starship from feeling the effects of shifts in velocity and acceleration. When a ship goes from 0 to warp, it's the thing that prevents the crew from slamming into the hull and turning into salsa. has nothing to do with weight.

and turning on anti-grav (which is what I think you were thinking of) is really pointless, since Antigrav effectively lifts you off the ground by countering the effects of gravity in small increments. It would be like asking "HOW MUCH WOULD THEY WEIGH IF SOMEONE LIFTED THEM UP WITH CRANES."

Comment

lets say, power off, on the ground, on earth, nobody inside. any body know how much it weighs?

Comment

The answer, as stated above, is no.

Comment

The puddle jumpers can change their weight anyway...

Comment

What does inertial dampening systems have to do with weight? Inertial Dampeners are things that prevent things inside the starship from feeling the effects of shifts in velocity and acceleration. When a ship goes from 0 to warp, it's the thing that prevents the crew from slamming into the hull and turning into salsa. has nothing to do with weight.

and turning on anti-grav (which is what I think you were thinking of) is really pointless, since Antigrav effectively lifts you off the ground by countering the effects of gravity in small increments. It would be like asking "HOW MUCH WOULD THEY WEIGH IF SOMEONE LIFTED THEM UP WITH CRANES."
                You're right, inertial dampening shouldn't have anything to do with weight, but it seems to be one of the pieces of "kronky" science in the show:

1) In redemption, Sam's explaining the technical problems with getting the gate in to orbit, she states that the engines were designed for a vessel with an alien internal dampening system, with a lower overall mass

2) And in SGA "The Storm", Carson claims that he's adding weight to the jumper by resetting it's inertial dampening
                The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

Frakking writers... *grumbles*

Comment

"Heavier than me."
                    LOL... Must put jumper on Jenny craig!~

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      LOL... Must put jumper on Jenny craig!~
                      Who?

Comment

Originally posted by the_dark_light View Post
                        Well that's a given.

On a serious note, I don't think the weight of a jumper/302 has ever been mentioned. Besides the obvious point, are we talking weight with the inertial dampening turned on or off?
                        Sorry. Inertial Dampeners deactivated. I know it's never been mentioned but can anyone guestimate?

Spoiler:

Carter?

I... haven't left yet

Comment

... How the heck does one guestimate the weight of a ship that has no real point of comparison?

I guess you can start with "it's not heavy enough to sink into the ground when it lands", but just about ANYTHING on the planet can do that.

Comment

... How the heck does one guestimate the weight of a ship that has no real point of comparison?

I guess you can start with "it's not heavy enough to sink into the ground when it lands", but just about ANYTHING on the planet can do that.
                            Well you could compare the F-302 to another fighter of similar size and shape. Add weight for the inertial dampeners & life support & take weight for material used e.c.t.

Spoiler:

Carter?

I... haven't left yet

Comment

We could start wondering what is it's displacement. We got the lenght and height, don't we?
                              Then we could assume that it's made of an alloy of trinium, which is 100 times ligher and stronger than steel, so what do we have here.. for steel we could use iron.. let's say trinium weights 76g per litre or 76kg per cubic metre.

Comment

Working...
                              X