This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate mythology = Real mythology

I was in my mythology class today and I just found out that Abydos is a real place in Eygpt. I know a lot of the Goa'uld and other things have mythology in them but then I started going through my mythology book and realized there are tons of mythology connection (some inacuate) in the Stargate universe. I mean there I know thats what the show is based on the Goa'uld being gods but I mean damn I didn't realize there was this many. Just thought I should share that and if anyone else wants to comminit on this go ahead. Also did you know that Osrisis is a man in mythology but a woman on Stargate just thought I should add that
    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
    A Face you Can Trust
    sigpic
    So whats the worst that could happen?
    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The goa'uld Osiris is male - he only posseses a female.

All Stargate mythology is based on mythology from around the world. Stargate was used as a 'possible' answer or eaning to the myths - an explanation if you wish
    sigpic
    Spoiler:
    President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
    President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
    Forum Charmer
    Forum Ambassador
    Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
    VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
      The goa'uld Osiris is male - he only posseses a female.

All Stargate mythology is based on mythology from around the world. Stargate was used as a 'possible' answer or eaning to the myths - an explanation if you wish
      That must be akward for him to be a male and have a female body
      Vote Anubis for President in 2012
      A Face you Can Trust
      sigpic
      So whats the worst that could happen?
      Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
      It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

The actual symbiote doesn't have a gender.
        They just have preferences for their hosts.
        Osiris always took male hosts, so is referred to as male.
        It took Sarah as a host because it didn't have much choice She was around when it was freed from the jar. Why she didn't change hosts afterward is anyones guess. Perhaps his first experience as a female excited him, hehe.
        Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by fugiman View Post
          That must be akward for him to be a male and have a female body
          Baal made fun of Osiris (about how he took a pretty girl as a host).

The explanation for the differences in Earth mythology is that the stories were told by word-of-mouth until they were scrolled down. Most of it was 2nd hand anyway. So there would clearly be inaccuracies.

In the SG Universe most Goa'ould are believed to have originated the myths, where only a few adopted mythological figures & posed as them.

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
          The actual symbiote doesn't have a gender.
          They just have preferences for their hosts.
          Osiris always took male hosts, so is referred to as male.
          It took Sarah as a host because it didn't have much choice She was around when it was freed from the jar. Why she didn't change hosts afterward is anyones guess. Perhaps his first experience as a female excited him, hehe.
          I always thought that all Goa'ould should be considered male aside from the queens like Hathor & Egeria.
          sigpic
          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
          ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
            I always thought that all Goa'ould should be considered male aside from the queens like Hathor & Egeria.
            I think Martoof once said that they were genderless, when talking about Jolinar hiding out in a guy. But either way, except for the queens, they're all the same gender wise.
            Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
              I think Martoof once said that they were genderless, when talking about Jolinar hiding out in a guy. But either way, except for the queens, they're all the same gender wise.
              Oh, I know you're right, that's just my opinion on how it should be.
              sigpic
              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
              ~David Hewlett

Comment

The same thing with Selmak, when the Tok'ra was in the female body, she referred to it as "her and I." And over the series when you see Jacob, after being blended, he refers to Selmak as he.

The only thing that has gender with the Goa'uld is their names.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

They have borrowed from just about every major mthyos out there. Some more than others
                  sigpic

Comment

I recently went to an Egyptian Exibit and noted a few interesting facts which were different from the Stargate World.......

1.) In SG1 the first god is refered to and spelt as "Ra"
                    However in Egypt the name is spelt "Re", and pronounced as Ra but some pronounce it as Ray.

2a.) Hathor is another that is pronounced differently then in SG1. it should be pronounced as Hat-or.
                    b.) in methology she was the daughter of Isis and Osiris (who were brother and sisters and childen of Re.
                    c.) Re forbid the union and destroyed Osiris sending every part of him to different parts of the world. Only once Isis gathered every part of Osiris back together was she able to have Hathor.
                    CARTER:
                    You spent seven years on MacGyver......and you can't figure this one out.......

We've got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum.........build a Neucliar Reactor for crying out loud.......

You used to be MacGyver........MacGadjet.........MacGimmic........Now your Mr MacUseless.......

Dear God............I'm stuck on a glacier with MacGyver.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdY3...eature=related

Comment

I've always been into Sci Fi and Mythology, so when I found SG I found a show that fascinates me.
                      Originally posted by G.B Shaw
                      Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
                      Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.
                      Criminals do not die by the hands of the law. They die by the hands of other men.
                      You'll never have a quiet world till you knock the patriotism out of the human race.
                      Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them.
                      One man that has a mind and knows it can always beat ten men who haven't and don't.
                      You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
                      The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed but that he cannot believe anyone else.
                      www.7-scales.co.uk
                      http://twitter.com/7Scales

Comment

Originally posted by AustrALIEN View Post
                        I recently went to an Egyptian Exibit and noted a few interesting facts which were different from the Stargate World.......

1.) In SG1 the first god is refered to and spelt as "Ra"
                        However in Egypt the name is spelt "Re", and pronounced as Ra but some pronounce it as Ray.
                        Both 'Ra' and 'Re' are accepted since there are no vowels in the hieroglyphic language.

Originally posted by AustrAlien
                        b.) in methology she (Hathor) was the daughter of Isis and Osiris (who were brother and sisters and childen of Re).
                        Hathor was a sister of Osiris and Isis.

Originally posted by AustrAlien
                        c.) Re forbid the union and destroyed Osiris sending every part of him to different parts of the world. Only once Isis gathered every part of Osiris back together was she able to have Hathor.
                        And it isn't Hathor but Horus who was conceived after Isis managed to piece Osiris back together. Proof are the many depictions of Isis with little Horus in her lap (or in the Christian world Maria with the little Jesus).

And now my question to you...

What was the exhibition about? Was it about the whole of Ancient Egypts history or only a small part of it? Were there any cool stuff to see?
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
                          Baal made fun of Osiris (about how he took a pretty girl as a host).
                          Wasnt Ba'al. It was that Goa'uld whose name I have forgotton that attempted to win the Tollan triad trial of Klorel. Zipacna I think it was....

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

You just found out Abydos is in Egypt?

I now have no doubt that my education in home school was a decent one, as I learned that at seven.
                            Either that or the quality of education has greatly declined in the last decade.

Comment

^come on now no need for sniping
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X