Atlantis and 3 ZPMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis and 3 ZPMs

We all know that as a result of the Asuran attack on Atlantis, we now have 3 ZPMs. However, 2 were moved from Atlantis to the Oddysey and the Antartic Defense Platform.

Wouldn't it have been more prudent to just use all 3 ZPMs to fly Atlantis back to the Earth or another Milky Way Planet, so that the City would no longer be under attack from the Wraith, and to allow more direct research to be performed on the City's systems which could translate into an effective deterrent against the Ori or any other would-be Enemy?

No because we have no idea how much power it would drain to take Atlantis on an intergalactic trip. Also, then the Ori would probably end up destroying it. Plus, Weir would complain about the moral responsibilities of the expedition waking the Wraith and such. And yes, I have seen "First Strike" but Weir's not the only one who thinks that way.

Vala,

Comment

well it would be ineffective and slow. ok so we have2 ZPMS at earth. ones with odyssey, probably still cloaked, around in the galaxy making voyages around and spying on the ori, the one on earth is still on the antarctica outpost. Even if Odyssey is on earth, ready to give their zpm to SGC, and have the other 1 from antarctica transported to The SGC aswell, how will they know that atlantis is in trouble?remeber in first strike, the gate is too close, that atlantis cant dial out... so atlantis cant inform Earth about how they MASSIVELY screwed up... then even if the apolllo can fly back to earth, its two weeks man.... if they give up the ZPM, they die.... if appoloo flys back, it would take2 weeks, in which they're dead(put in mind that atlantis's shield only can keep up 29 hours) b4 dead. they won't know. and if earth tries to dial atlantis, they find something wrong, then they wait 38 mins, it still doesnt work,they send the oddyssey with the zpm, it will still take 4 days, with 2zpms, we narrow it down to 2 days, but wat are the chances of earth even trying to dial atlantis? they have a regular check back every week or so i think. so no point.

Comment

Originally posted by marlowe54 View Post
        We all know that as a result of the Asuran attack on Atlantis, we now have 3 ZPMs. However, 2 were moved from Atlantis to the Oddysey and the Antartic Defense Platform.

Wouldn't it have been more prudent to just use all 3 ZPMs to fly Atlantis back to the Earth or another Milky Way Planet, so that the City would no longer be under attack from the Wraith, and to allow more direct research to be performed on the City's systems which could translate into an effective deterrent against the Ori or any other would-be Enemy?
        There's a lot of "coulds" and "maybes" and "possiblys" in that idea. If there was nothing going on in the Milky Way then I'm certain Atlantis would've kept all three ZedPMs. But the Milky Way is currently getting pasted by alien invaders who have yet to lose a fight. The Ori have to be stopped at all costs, even if it means limiting Atlantis to one ZedPM.
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

My problem isn't so much that there are reasons why they might not do that, but rather that they never addressed them. They made us believe that Carson ruined the hyperdrives and so they couldn't go anywhere even with 3 ZPMs. Then all of the sudden it's a big surprise that Atlantis has a chance to fly to safety because the Asurans had just enough time to get underwater and repair the engines. I don't buy that nobody would bring up the issue of removing the city back to the Milky Way and that someone like Mckay couldn't just say something along the lines of; "Oh well that would drain most of the ZPM power and without replacements it would leave us extremely vulnable especially since our best chance of getting new ZPMs is here in the Pegasus galaxy." It also should've been the first question on the I.O.A's mind, before ordering 2 ZPMs be returned to Earth as it's the only weapon capable of possibly going head to head with an Ori ship an winning. Obviously Atlantis needs to stay in the Pegasus galaxy for the show, but at least throw us a bone as far as explaining how that works within the plot.

Comment

Originally posted by marlowe54 View Post

Spoilers anyone?
            You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mckay View Post
              well it would be ineffective and slow. ok so we have2 ZPMS at earth. ones with odyssey, probably still cloaked, around in the galaxy making voyages around and spying on the ori
              Spoilers for "Talion"
              Spoiler:
              The Odyssey is no longer stuck cloaked, they used to to go to Arkad's planet.

Vala,

Comment

Bringing the city back to the MW would kill the show.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                  There's a lot of "coulds" and "maybes" and "possiblys" in that idea. If there was nothing going on in the Milky Way then I'm certain Atlantis would've kept all three ZedPMs. But the Milky Way is currently getting pasted by alien invaders who have yet to lose a fight. The Ori have to be stopped at all costs, even if it means limiting Atlantis to one ZedPM.
                  I don't think they would have kept all three of them. One would be sent to Earth to be installed into the Antarctic defense outpost. Two would remain at Atlantis.

Comment

One's on the Odyssey.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
                      One's on the Odyssey.
                      I know, but in another scenario is what I was referring to.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Beckett destroyed atlantis engines in the return part 2 i think.
                        sigpic

Comment

He only disabled/damaged them.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                            Bringing the city back to the MW would kill the show.
                            I could not agree more .

Atlantis with 3ZPMs means bad luck for bad guys and what will keep us entertained then? Rodney and his diet?

Comment

Originally posted by Eye Of Ra View Post
                              Spoiler:
                              Beckett destroyed atlantis engines in the return part 2 i think.
                              Spoiler:
                              In First Strike they claim that "the replicators fixed all the damage" when Sheppard and Mckay first came up with the idea in front of Zelanka.

Comment

Working...
                              X