• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution of the Daleks (2905/305)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 29
    EVOLUTION OF THE DALEKS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2905

When the Daleks reveal their "final experiment" to create Human-Dalek hybrids, the Doctor must decide whether or not the newly reborn Dalek Sec is worth helping. Meanwhile, the Daleks put Hooverville within their crosshairs.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:45 PM.

Well, well, well.

What a sorry excuse for a plot.

This is more or less without the swearing what I wrote up in my LJ about this mess of an episode *well it took ages for the thread to be opened and I was bored*

Well, I have to admit "Daleks in Manhattan" & its second part "Evolution of The Daleks" has left me wondering what's going on?

From the blatant "shipping" (yes lets keep that deadend of a plot going shall we) to The Daleks using humans and their DNA to create a Dalek hybrid race; well sorry but The Daleks would N.E.V.E.R... E.V.E.R do this!!! Don't care, don't want to hear it.... they would N.E.V.E.R ... E.V.E.R do this!!!! (I guess if you have little knowledge of The Daleks you may have believed it but The Doctor should have known better. For him to even entertain this not to mention try and work with them it just rang so hollow).

Was this a lame attempt to appeal to a US market now that SciFi has agreed to buy another series of the show? And what was the black guy's "god" speech supossed to be about? Doctor Who does not "do" god and to me it felt so out of place. Not to mention just plain naff. I found myself willing The Dalek to "Exterminate" him already! Sorry but the atheist part of me just couldn't stomach it.

So are they finding themselves running out of ideas? Marketing an ep is easy when you have a known *evil doer*?

I don't know, I didn't hate it but the second part made me not love the first part as much, and it just left me thinking the show (the writer) has no idea or worse; no concern for its own *as hard to follow as it is* C.A.N.O.N.

They wouldn't even say Davros, why not?

Plus side:

Daleks are cool and a real Dalek takes no crap from anyone.
    David Tennant worked the actions and words he was given as best he could and almost saved the entire episode single-handed from being the disaster it surely would have been.
    Martha is, well I am not hating her. Hating the shipping but not her.

*goes off to try and forget this ever happened*

Comment

That episode stunk, for lack of a better word

wildly out of character Daleks (going against the basic principles of Dalek-ness) they do not hybridise at all they keep themselves pure

wtf was going on with Dalek Sek, a hybrid of the evil Dalek Sek and the evil ganster guy is some sort of good guy - not buying it

The plot dragged, the characters were corny, the can't we all get along speech really pissed me off, we all knew what was going to happen, the speech was doomed from the start, it was cheesy, overstated and got in the way of the episode

The end, oh no the last ever Dalek (how many more last ever Daleks will there be, is this like the third one) emergency timeshifts out, how unexpected he only used the exact same escape method as last time. I felt like shouting at the doctor for being stupid,its not like he had dozens of ray guns to shoot the dalek with before he time shifted instead of running ineffectually at him

Bad science, I know this is Dr. Who, so try to tune out the science for the most part, actually it's usually not that bad,
      *But gamma rays in lightning? Gamma rays + people = very very dead, if that radiation reached New York in anyway millions would die, more would get cancer
      *Lightning carrying the doctors DNA, that didn't make any sense, at all
      *A genetics laboratory made up of coloured boiling liquid, oh that'll work
      *The genetic in general stunk but I sat through SG:A retrovirus arc so I can't really complain

All in all the worst episode of season 3, and maybe all the new series of Dr. Who, (although "Love & Monsters" was terrible)
      sigpic

Comment

Did they just...

Spoiler:
        Leave 1930's New York with a fully functional Dalek genetics lab, 2 severely damaged Dalek cases and 1 thats probably intact and several dozen Tommy Gun/Death Ray hybrids?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Coot View Post
          Did they just...

Spoiler:
          Leave 1930's New York with a fully functional Dalek genetics lab, 2 severely damaged Dalek cases and 1 thats probably intact and several dozen Tommy Gun/Death Ray hybrids?
          Well if they have then
          Spoiler:

It would be a nice foundation for an american series of Torchwood

Oh god no. Can you imagine the mess they would make of that? Look what they did to The Office

Comment

Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly fed up with Preachy Doctor Angst?

Admittedly this episode was slightly better than last weeks but it still wasn't as good as dalek episodes of old, I can't see many kids hiding behind the sofa these days.

while the saving of Lazlo was nice it was a bit predictible, I think if he'd have kicked the bucket I'd have reacted a bit more, but I just thought "Yeah, the Doctor will save him".

I know Dr Who is sci fi and he's invincible but credibility was stretched a little thin with the whole lightning-strike-timelord-DNA-mixing-with-dalek-DNA thing was too much, I mean there was a time when radiation poisoning caused a Doctor to regenerate, now he can withstand a gamma radiation strike. I have to admit I did wonder if he's turn into the Hulk, but that's me being silly.

all in all, it was a bit better but not much

Comment

that would of changed the timeline considerably.

that episode was not that good, it only leaves one dalek left(maybe more out there) but i wanted more daleks to survive
              sigpic

Comment

I think part of the explanation for the total dire-ness of this episode is that it was not written by RTD. I hope whoever did has been taken out and shot, because it was truly, truly awful.

Cheesy speeches by the doc and Hooverville mayor, unspeakable shipping, plot with holes you could drive a tank through, unbelievable motivations of the Daleks, terrible acting.

Just because it's sci fi doesn't mean we'll put up with any old crap.

Looking forward to a better effort next week.
                sigpic
                "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Well, it looks like I'm the odd one out...

I loved this episode - thought it was excellent.

I thought the Daleks were great. It seems to me that it was only really Dalek Sec who was into the whole hybrid plan - the other three just went along with it because Sec was the leader, until they decided the plan was going to damage them.

David Tennant was, as always, fantastic.

The Time Lord DNA being carried by the lightning made no real sense, but I can look past it...

9/10...

(BTW, if a Dalek shoots the Doctor, can he regenerate from that? They keep talking about it as if that would be it for him...)

Comment

Well - guess its just me who accepted it as an ok Ep - my only REAL problem was the shippyness.

To me, the episode would of gone better if the Sec, and the hybrids had worked - AND THEN been turned on, but not eliminated by the other pure Daleks. I think it would of been interesting to have two sects of Daleks - the new hybrids living their way, and the pure out there still trying to rule.

The hybrid thing wasnt a major let dwn too me, as I see it as a last resort - the cult of skaro were out to think of "out of the box" ways to win and survive. Well, they did compared to the old Daleks.
                    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

This ep was a bit disappointing. I was willing to play along last week, but now the whole thing seems too ridiculous. As has already been said, the Daleks would NEVER choose to lessen themselves by crossing with humans. Daleks are PURE. Anything else would be not-Dalek and would be exterminated.

If one Dalek went crazy and decided it was the only way, fine, but for the other Daleks to continue the program (even under the excuse of them being full of Dalek DNA) just doesn't scan.

The Doctor going along with any of it was insane. The Daleks have been his most baneful enemy since Day 1, why in hell would he willingly help them to "evolve" and possibly come back to cause even MORE trouble? If the Daleks are weaker because they lack emotion then giving them that emotion will make them an even stronger enemy than they already are. Ridiculous. No way he'd agree to it.

The whole Dr Frankenstein vibe was a little much, too. Brought to life by lightning? Even gamma-irradiated lightning? I googled it and came up with some articles that seem to support it... in theory, but it still seems pretty dodgy to me.

It's a shame that all the human Daleks were killed. I'd have been VERY curious to see the larger implications of their having Time Lord DNA in their mix. Obviously it didn't include the bit about regeneration.

Y'know, it occurs to me that the Doctor does an awful lot of shouting in this show. I wonder if DT ever gets a sore throat from it all. lol

Comment

Nice Episode much better than last weeks. Loved how the Dalek sac started to change his mind about his origins and actually got the DR to want to help him in the dalek species rebirth.

The Scene where the 2 daleks had their doubts about the Sac was a nice idea giving them a sense of indvisuality (yes i can't spell ha ha ha.)

SOOOO the JellyFish was a baby Dalek after all.

Also 4give me if i am wrong but when they looked at the cityscape from the top of the empire state building where they infact not looking at the empire state building itself?

Next weeks episode looks great! With the Manticore like spider dude moster. Excellent monster + Excellent CGI = Gd looking episode.
                        sigpic
                        Banner Made By Me for Me
                        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                          ...when they looked at the cityscape from the top of the empire state building where they in fact not looking at the empire state building itself?
                          Kinda seemed like that, didn't it? But it's the Chrysler Building. You can tell because the top is different.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                            The Doctor going along with any of it was insane. The Daleks have been his most baneful enemy since Day 1, why in hell would he willingly help them to "evolve" and possibly come back to cause even MORE trouble? If the Daleks are weaker because they lack emotion then giving them that emotion will make them an even stronger enemy than they already are. Ridiculous. No way he'd agree to it.
                            Well, Human-Dalek Sec seemed fine to just go and live peacefully, without the exterminating and "supreme race" stuff, so I figured that's why the Doctor was helping.

Or he thought he'd be able to get away and stop the thing getting powered up...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith View Post
                              Bad science, I know this is Dr. Who, so try to tune out the science for the most part, actually it's usually not that bad,
                              *But gamma rays in lightning? Gamma rays + people = very very dead, if that radiation reached New York in anyway millions would die, more would get cancer
                              *Lightning carrying the doctors DNA, that didn't make any sense, at all
                              *A genetics laboratory made up of coloured boiling liquid, oh that'll work
                              *The genetic in general stunk but I sat through SG:A retrovirus arc so I can't really complain
                              I was shouting the same thing at the TV/My familly all night.

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                              I thought the Daleks were great. It seems to me that it was only really Dalek Sec who was into the whole hybrid plan - the other three just went along with it because Sec was the leader, until they decided the plan was going to damage them.

(BTW, if a Dalek shoots the Doctor, can he regenerate from that? They keep talking about it as if that would be it for him...)
                              I agree with the first point, I actaully liked Dalek Sec and the idea that he would try and implement change. For the people claiming that Dalek's are not like that I would point out that these are the views of one Dalek and do not show the views of their people as a whole. But even Dalek Sec couldn't make it a good episode.

As for the question at the end, I was wondering the same thing. I suppose it doesn't make the show very exciting though if the Doctor just stands there and goes, "Kill me, I don't care I still have two more lives." If you wan't a cannon explanation I suppose you could claim the Dalek's made an anti-regeneration gun during the time war.

Comment

Working...
                              X