Evolution of the Daleks (2905/305)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    I notice on "another" forum many are raving about it but I still fail to see where they are coming from. I guess like Stargate and some other shows, fandom will love anything as long as it is part of the franchise.

That makes me kinda sad.
    Makes me happy. It's better that some other people are being made happy by this story than that everyone was left feeling as time-wasted as I was.

Madeleine

Comment

Frak. That sucked. I mean really.....I knew it was bad, so I was looking for something good but.....The Daleks yelling "Pig Slaves" was what I came up with (loved it every time they said that for some reason).

But wow.....not only was the ep overall bad, but the editing of it was brutal. How did the Doctor go from standing in the theater to suddenly standing in the empire state building in front of the Dalek at the end? It felt like an entire scene was missing!

Don't buy the Dalek evolution thing for a second. Or any of the "science" in this ep, and I'm usually not picky about that.

Oh and the acting all round stucked except for DT FA. Especially of Dalek Sec, Lazlo, and Tahllula. And I wanted to strangle her by the end of last week!

The "speech" was stupid. We all knew what would happen.

And the shippiness was annoying. I don't mind Martha fancying the Doctor (what straight woman wouldn't?), but it a) doesn't need to be so frakkin obvious, and b) there don't need to be any "conversations" about it.

First time watching Doctor Who that I couldn't wait for the ep to end. The preview for next week was more exciting than the whole ep combined, can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
        Frak. That sucked. I mean really.....I knew it was bad, so I was looking for something good but.....The Daleks yelling "Pig Slaves" was what I came up with (loved it every time they said that for some reason).

But wow.....not only was the ep overall bad, but the editing of it was brutal. How did the Doctor go from standing in the theater to suddenly standing in the empire state building in front of the Dalek at the end? It felt like an entire scene was missing!

Don't buy the Dalek evolution thing for a second. Or any of the "science" in this ep, and I'm usually not picky about that.

Oh and the acting all round stucked except for DT FA. Especially of Dalek Sec, Lazlo, and Tahllula. And I wanted to strangle her by the end of last week!

The "speech" was stupid. We all knew what would happen.

And the shippiness was annoying. I don't mind Martha fancying the Doctor (what straight woman wouldn't?), but it a) doesn't need to be so frakkin obvious, and b) there don't need to be any "conversations" about it.

First time watching Doctor Who that I couldn't wait for the ep to end. The preview for next week was more exciting than the whole ep combined, can't wait!
        So what do u think of there new evolution.

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
        Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
        http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by teal'c2006 View Post
          So what do u think of there new evolution.
          Ummm.....summing up my post, it sucked.

Comment

Ummm.....summing up my post, it sucked.
            I agree...... What were they thinking....

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
            Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
            http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty bad for Doctor Who. I expect so much more from this show than what I saw last night. It was a real yawner and just plain annoying.
              Hope that got the crap out of their systems for the rest of Season 3.

Comment

Well I have to say, it wasn't nearly as bad as Michael and his army or superbugs. *head desk*

But yeah, both dalek eps were bad.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

But still. It's always good to see the Daleks

Comment

Originally posted by General David Niemi View Post
                    But still. It's always good to see the Daleks
                    It would have been had it not have been for Doomsday.

My problems with this episode lie simply in the fact it was just a saturation of Daleks. After Doomsday (which I felt was SO unneeded), I was annoyed to see them again. On the whole I didn't MIND the episode, so if it had say appeared after a two year absence of Daleks I may have enjoyed it more.

But several other things ruined it for me. The pig men seemed majorly irrelevant and illogical. I'd rather have seen Robomen as a nod to the Dalek Invasion of Earth. Dalek Sec as a new creature worked fine for me, if he hadn't have still worn those daft shoes and suit. My final problem lies with plot. The daleks have ALWAYS used human DNA to make more daleks. In Revelation of the Daleks we saw for the first time that humans were being turned into Daleks. Because of course, daleks are genetically enegineered. In Parting of the Ways, the Emperor mentions that humans from the Game Station were pulped and their DNA used to create new daleks...

So I'm not sure as to why it seemed so new to the daleks. Granted, this step was slightly bigger but still...

On the plus side, the ep felt a LOT like a classic ep to me, and that amused me. Especially the way the Dalek emerged from the elevator for the first time, and there was a human enemy with an alien behind him. It seemed very retro. As did the daft idea of having a human with a mask being the main baddie, kinda reminded me of City of Death.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

That episode was exceedingly odd. I'm not calling it the worst ever (I think I'll reserve that for the Idiot's Lantern), but it wasn't good.

I agree that the Daleks would not choose "to mingle with us commoners" even if their race depended on, but I can't accept the new and improved Dalek Sec.

1. Tell that actor that William Shatner is not an acting icon. Line delivery should not be a word, pause, three words, pause, etc.

2. Dalek Sec took over a guy that was a jerk to begin with. He wasn't exactly a save-the-world-type of guy, but as soon as Sec and Loser Boy merge, he begins to sing of peace, love, and harmony. I might have accepted this if Sec had merged with a monk, a doctor, or anyone else focused on equality and peace, but not a guy that happily sent workers to their possible deaths. He was a human-Dalek before the merger. I can see why the other Daleks were confused.

The pig men still don't make sense, and I want to know why Laslo can talk when they others don't even get lines beyond growls.

I agree with Trek_Girl, the editing was just bad. I'm hoping that the DVD will have deleted scenes that would explain this mess. The episode was jerky, and some scenes dragged while others were just skipped.

1. The "Why Can't We Get Along" speech was awful. It took way too long; it was poorly delivered, and anyone with a brain could figure out that the guy was the equivilant to a Star Trek red shirt as soon as he decided to chat with the Daleks. (Only the Doctor and the main villian are allowed long speeches.)

2. If Laslo and Tulullah were supposed to be important, we needed a scene where she yelled at him for thinking that she wouldn't accept him. We at least needed a more dramatic "He lives" scene.

3. I also didn't like the Martha and Tulullah let's ponder our love lives at a critical moment speech. They have eleven minutes, and the companion is busy wondering if the Doctor will get over Rose? I like Martha, but that was dumb and somewhat out of character.

I also agree that plausibility in general was stretched badly this week.

1. The Doctor can get hit by lightning and live to tell the tale. Interesting. His hair wasn't even standing up. Given DT's hair, it should have been on end. The whole gamma ray thing was also bad. I don't even like or study science, and I knew that gamma rays and humans don't mix well.

2. I realize that the Doctor is an amazing timelord, but universal history, time travel, keeping universes and timelines straight, and how the universe should work is already a lot on the man's plate. Apparently, he also has time for a degree in genetics.

Overall, the episode was poorly done.
                      Spoiler:
                      It is truly frightening that this writer is said to be back in Series 4.
                      A 5/10 only because it could have been worse.
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

i thought that David Tenant did a good job in this episode and i thought for sure that he would kill the last Dalek for good. but i guess we have to season four only 7 more episodes intill season 4 though im waiting for the 3-part season finale/

Comment

the only question I had was how did the Daleks suddenly show up on the stage of the theater? Instant transport traveling device?

next week's previews looks like a (more) cheasy bad ep to me.

The Daleks one was only bad in the cyclops, octopus make-up of the Dalek hybrid. D-A-L-E-K-S always talk in monotone. But when the two Daleks were plotting mutiny (sort of within the ranks) casting doubts upon their "master"... hee-hee... Oooooooookay.

I think the props and creative make-up people decided it was a bad idea to continue that creature in future eps, just because it looked awful! Interesting *conscience* concept, but awful makeup...

--------------------

I loved the idea during the ending that the doctor finally got to say
                          "THE DOCTOR is now IN..!!!"

and one more item... I never knew for sure the Statue of Liberty that was shipped to America had a sister / cousin in Paris (France). Heard rumors about it, but never actually saw it anywhere, until today watching an American Idol special segment... and "she" (the original statue) looks small in comparison with the Eiffel tower behind her, too.

I didn't think TPTB actually went to NYC, NY (USA) to film there, when France is just across the river and down the countryside a few (hundred) miles...

Comment

Well, at least I know I wasn't seeing things! I thought the DW episodes are actually longer than what we are used to in North America so the CBC would have to cut somewhere. I didn't notice less commericals during DW
                            And of course mys 7 year old son LOVED it. Anything with Daleks in it. My 3 year old daughter gleefully shouted out Doctor Who when it came on. My son's totally in love with Martha. He didn't care much for Rose.
                            Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I'm so tired of mindless/emotionless slaves by now, be they Robomen, Cybermen, run-of-the-mill daleks or pigs on two legs.
                              sigpic

Comment

Better than the first part, but not by much...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X