No announcement yet.

Stranger In A Strange Land (309)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am getting sick and tired of the jack/kate/sawyer show.

i'd love to see something different
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think the whole "branding/marking" thing was a fake deal. When someone is "marked" the whole point is to humiliate them by having everyone know what they did. Pirates were branded on their faces, for example. Juliet got a nice, teeny brand on her back where no one can see it. What's the point?

As for the "big" ship in the far background, I was lurking at thefuselage.com (the official forum) and some folks have said it was a cruise ship and the crew couldn't just ring them up and say, "move your boat". They tried to film using various angles, but it shows up in one scene. Something similar happened in season 1 where folks were talking on a hill, but if you look closely, one can see a teeny car driving in the distance. The producers said they didn't notice it during filming and didn't have time later to go back and refilm the scene.

This show is filmed in Hawaii, which is chocked full of tourists year round. Trying to make it appear deserted can be challenging, to say the least.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
        Juliet got a nice, teeny brand on her back where no one can see it. What's the point?
        And Jack got a bigger tattoo that no one could see when he wore his shirt. Still, several Thai people (and maybe the Others) could "see" he was marked with or without his shirts. It's possibly the same for Juliet. Maybe that's the subtle point TPTB wanted to make. (?)

As for the "big" ship in the far background, I was lurking at thefuselage.com (the official forum) and some folks have said it was a cruise ship and the crew couldn't just ring them up and say, "move your boat". They tried to film using various angles, but it shows up in one scene. Something similar happened in season 1 where folks were talking on a hill, but if you look closely, one can see a teeny car driving in the distance. The producers said they didn't notice it during filming and didn't have time later to go back and refilm the scene.

This show is filmed in Hawaii, which is chocked full of tourists year round. Trying to make it appear deserted can be challenging, to say the least.
        I read on another forum that cruisers similar to this one are usually used to transport workers to and from drilling platforms (or to transport them to and from the Hydra island). I'm not sure whether TPTB intentionally put that boat there or whether they worked it in because they couldn't "move" it, but if someone says that THIS was an accident, I call them crazy.

No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
        (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Um, if this was in reply to my comment on the big ship, i didn't notice that one! I was noting the one at the end of the episode when all "the others" were going back to their island...

Am I the only one that though that was also included in a commercial 2 weeks ago?

It definitley was, i noticed that too.

Comment

wasnt that just the ship the others where going to perspective can do strange things. is it just me that find it odd that a thai woman in thailand would tattoo chinese characters on jacks arm is that just ignorance by the writers

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
              wasnt that just the ship the others where going to perspective can do strange things. is it just me that find it odd that a thai woman in thailand would tattoo chinese characters on jacks arm is that just ignorance by the writers
              A Thai fan (who's also a mod) in another lost forum said tattoos tend to be disregarded in Thailand.

And American, British and German tattoo artists (and probably from many other nations as well) do Chinese characters. It wouldn't be surprising if the few existing Thai tattoo studios also did them for those rich culture-naive tourists from somewhere else.
              No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
              (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

good point all seemed a bit over the top how they all hated him because he got a tattoo

Comment

Yeah, was there a reason for that? I wasn't paying as close enough attention as I should have, so I have no clue why those guys beat up Jack after he got the tattoos....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Well, it was implied that her tatoos were more than just tattoos: she could see what a person really was and would mark them as such. Maybe she was some kind of magical person in her area and wasn't allowed to share her gift with outsiders.
                    Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
                    I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
                    What have these years left to me?
                    Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
                      Great job ABC you just took the prize away from NBC! That was a hard thing to do but you did it!

What prize you ask, the prize for biggest ly in a preview / commerical!

THREE QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED!!!

Umm.... did I miss something? The only thing answered was what the tattoo meant and no one gives a damn about that!
                      if you had listened to the previous week's podcast, damon and carlton addressed that. they even went as far to say they really didn't know what the ABC promotion department was talking about. as far as they knew there was only really 1 major question being addressed - and that was jack's tattoos, but there were a few other little things that people would get some info on.

so chalk it up to the ABC promotional dolts. because, you know, previews are designed to attract viewers, and the LOST writers and preoducers really have nothing to do with making the previews.

so chill.

Originally posted by AnUbIs2004 View Post
                      Quite true, I finished this episode just getting more and more annoyed with this show. Here is what I got answered:

1.) Do the writers know where this show is going? NO
                      2.) Do the writers know how to weave several storylines together and maintain our interest? No
                      3.) Do the writers know how to just make it so we have more questions asked than answered each episode? Yes
                      1.) Actually, if you've ever read any articles or listened to any interviews, you'd know the answer is YES. They've known the entire time what the endgame is for Lost. It's getting there that is filling in the blanks. They know major plots, and what people are doing what. But of course they don't have the entire thing written in their minds. So, you're wrong. Plain and simple.

2.) This is debatable. Some people only want mythology story, but that simple can't happen. And with a show with a topic as broad as Lost, and with as many characters, the complexity is really high. So it takes time to weave everything together. And yes, as far as I'm concerned, they are doing a great job of it. I say this because when you watch the flashbacks, you see how they characters, or objects/themes, are all connected. This is why people keep posting screenshots of "look what i found in this office!" or things like that.

3.)Debatable, but also an unfair question. Would you rather have every mystery answered right now? ok. shows over. What's on next? Patience dude. Patience.

and that boat was left in the shot on purpose. its probably a research vessel used for transporting the dharma peeps back and forth (maybe its the ferry) - its pretty big. and its not the boat that showed jack and juliet on in the very last scene - that was a small motor boat liek the one they gave michael and walt.
                      besides, if it was a real boat that just happened to be in the way while they were filming they could have easily digitally removed it.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                        Yeah, was there a reason for that? I wasn't paying as close enough attention as I should have, so I have no clue why those guys beat up Jack after he got the tattoos....
                        I think it was because Jack aggressively forced Achara to perform something that she repeatedly told him she didn't want to do, and something that she knew would bring consequences. I think the tattooing was something that Achara and her family wanted to keep seperate from the outside world. Big cultural no-no to say the least for Jack to invade that, if not a serious question about Jack's anger-management issues.

To be honest, I find it strange how this man is being portrayed as the show's "hero" when he has repeatedly displayed very disturbing behaviour concerning women. It's not even as if his flaws are addressed in any way, DL and CC seem to think we will all worship him.

As for the episode itself, I did enjoy some parts; Isobel is pretty cool, and the last scene was nice. Also interesting to see Cindy etc. However I did think there was a lot of bad writing in the episode, though I don't really think that's anything unusual on Lost. Quite looking forward to some focus not on Jack/Kate/Sawyer for a change.

Stargate SG-1 Survivor - Season 2

Gateworld's Next Top Artist (NEW!)

B'elanna: This ship will not survive the formation of the cosmos...

Comment

Originally posted by Celsius View Post
                          To be honest, I find it strange how this man is being portrayed as the show's "hero" when he has repeatedly displayed very disturbing behaviour concerning women.
                          I was thinking the same thing. His behavior with his ex-wife disturbed me, he went way beyond the acceptable reaction when he lost her. I could understand angry, distraught, incredibly jealous, but he was a creepy psycho stalker, not a leader or a hero.

He doesn't treat women well at all, not once have I seen him act the way I think a leader or a hero should towards women (or to anyone). But, it was his behavior to the Thai woman that lost me forever as a Jack fan. He is crazy, he has anger management issues and he doesn't seem to have any problem justifying stalking the women in his life and manhandling them.

I am usually the first to defend a character who is being accused of being abusive towards women. I think that people overreact to little nuances that could go either way, but there are no little nuances to Jack's behavior. He is not a nice man and he is not a mentally or emotionally stable man.

I'll take Sawyer's in-your-face bad boy attitude any day of the week. At least he is open & honest about being a bad boy... and I have never seen him be abusive towards the women in his life the way that Jack has been.

Comment

Working...
                          X