• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashes Before Your Eyes (308)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON THREE
    FLASHES BEFORE YOUR EYES
    EPISODE NUMBER - 308

After a premonition leads Desmond to save Claire's life, Charlie tries to find out what happened to him when the hatch imploded. Desmond considers the possibility that he has been given a second chance with Penny when he wakes up at home.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 06:05 PM.

Interesting episode, but it was a bit "WTF?" in my opinion. I hope that Desmond was just having a vision rather than his consciousness actually somehow moving through time, which is a little far fetched even for Lost!

I really don't want Charlie to die either! I hope Desmond is wrong.

Comment

The episode was starting to drag so I figured there had to be a twist to the end for it to work. One could say Desmond hallucinated the whole thing due to a whack on the noggin, but the Charlie bit was interesting. There is a rumor of another reg dying this season. Hmmmm.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

you thought this episode dragged?

seriously?

unbelievable.

Comment

I didn't think Lost would be able to pull off time travel. Ever. I just didn't think it could within the reality of the show. I WAS WRONG. This is quite possibly one of the best episodes of LOST ever. I don't agree with the previous posters. It was time travel. If you don't accept it as time travel, the episode loses its meaning and impact. Desmond (and Henry Ian Cusick the actor who played him) carried this episode masterfully. Desmond's precognition now makes sense and the woman who was also a time traveller is also an intriguing character. However, I do take issue with the fact that Desmond being knocked out is what initiated his return to the present. If he got knocked out, then what happened to him afterward? Did he continue his life as he was supposed to? Did he lose his memory of future events in that timeline? This is probably what happened, but time does not always afford all explanations. It was good to get back to the beach folks, even if a few were missing, some were less missed than others (Nikki and Paulo...).

Overall, ***1/2 stars for an emmy worthy performance by Henry Ian Cusick and an answer that's really satisfactory
          Spoiler:
          Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Originally posted by memnarch View Post
            I didn't think Lost would be able to pull off time travel. Ever. I just didn't think it could within the reality of the show. I WAS WRONG. This is quite possibly one of the best episodes of LOST ever. I don't agree with the previous posters. It was time travel. If you don't accept it as time travel, the episode loses its meaning and impact. Desmond (and Henry Ian Cusick the actor who played him) carried this episode masterfully. Desmond's precognition now makes sense and the woman who was also a time traveller is also an intriguing character. However, I do take issue with the fact that Desmond being knocked out is what initiated his return to the present. If he got knocked out, then what happened to him afterward? Did he continue his life as he was supposed to? Did he lose his memory of future events in that timeline? This is probably what happened, but time does not always afford all explanations. It was good to get back to the beach folks, even if a few were missing, some were less missed than others (Nikki and Paulo...).

Overall, ***1/2 stars for an emmy worthy performance by Henry Ian Cusick and an answer that's really satisfactory
            loses meaning on LOST?
            it had one?
            VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

I don't think we can conclude it was actually timetravel. One major thing would be that Desmond made SUCH a scene infront of Charlie in his 'experience' that I can't imagine Charlie not recognizing him, but it IS Lost.
              "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

its possible when desmond turned the key he was suspended in time, and his subconscious began to tell him about changing fate - fate is an underlying theme of the show.

changing the fate of the barkeep was one way he altered his own fate. so if by helping other people he can maybe change his fate in the end.

(turning the key and activating the failsafe was him changing fate for everyone on the island - and also changing his fate by allowing the station to sense the signal and for Penny to help find him)

Comment

My feeling about this episode in short: I was expecting a little more.

The Lost Moments already covered most of the island scenes, and TPTB said the fans will get to know more about what happened after Desmond turned the key. I was expecting to learn what happened to the hatch (other than it just exploding), how Desmond survived, why he was naked, and why he could see future events (and I don't mean a silly because-he-just-can or because-he-hit-his-head-bad answer please).

That doesn't mean there weren't moments/things that I totally enjoyed:

- Bloody, er, painty Desmond
                  - seeing Penny and Mr. Widmore so early on (I expected to see them in ep 3x12 at the earliest)
                  - so many easter eggs and references to island events (music, visuals,...)
                  - very good UK sets
                  - the psychic lady
                  - the photo

I was just expecting a little more insight. And that didn't really happen. But I guess this won't be the last Desmond episode. Henry Ian Cusick is a good actor, and he should stay on the show for a while.
                  No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                  (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

i did like the UK sets. It LOOKED like they were in London.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I did feel its a bit like final destination with charlie going to die and he cant stop it

Comment

I did love this episode. It was amazing...
                        but, I do NOT want Charlie to die!

I was trying to figure things out though, i caught on fairly quickly what had happend to Desmond... going back to before the island, re-living his past...

event 1: Desmond turns the key, goes back to when he painted a room in his house red.
                        event 2: Desmond starts to realize he knows when things will happen next.
                        event 3: Desmond figures out what's going on, somewhat, through the crazy jewelry store lady. (that was kinda creepy!)
                        event 4: Desmond discovers he can change how things will turn out.

then, they take us back to the island, and Desmond explains he was trying to save Charlie's life, and that the universe will keep correcting itself, and he'll try hard to save Charlie... yadda yadda yadda..

I was kind of curious, if Desmond can prevent things from happening, and apparently he's done things over, and over, and over again, why didn't he try to change things earlier? For example, if he knew that he would crash their plane, why didn't he make sure he didn't? if he knew that Jack, Kate, and Sawyer were going to go to find the Others, why didn't he try to stop them? And, if turning the key is what sent him back, then WHY does it seem he's only repeating his life AFTER the key was turned?

Comment

Sorry, but I feel that was the worst episode ever next to "Fire plus water". I don't like that Desmond became Hiro v2.0 from Heroes. I think there are too many unanswered questions in the show and we don't need to watch "superheroes". They were earlier average people, but now? What will be the next? Somebody will be immortal or begin to fly? etc. Bah... The whole episode was very boring. Why should they explain so slowly that the future can't be changed?
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

then, they take us back to the island

He was hit on the head and woke up in the woods. I don't think we're meant to believe he continued reliving his entire life up to that point again.

Also remember we have no way to distinguish between whether he lived part of his life over again, or if it was all in his head (perhaps Demonds version of one of Locke's vision quests). He didn't change anything while in the past, he made a huge scene infront of Charlie but Charlie doesn't remember him, etc. Or atleast we have no evidence whatsoever to think he did change something, ergo, there's functionally no difference between it being in his head, or actual timetravel, except that we have prescedent for 'in his head' experiences on the island.

Comment

I don't like that Desmond became Hiro v2.0 from Heroes.

But how do we know he did? I think it's a big mistake to assume he actually time traveled. Locke has had 'visions' where he learned things he couldn't know as well. Knowing Eko needs help and knowing Claire is drowning aren't entirely different. If he'd changed something in the past and had it carry to the future it would have been more clear (say he cut himself in the past then had a new scar when he got back to the island).

Comment

Working...
                              X