X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could Carter replace Weir? SPOILERS

This thread contains spoilers for the end of 3-20 "First Strike."

I haven't seen "First Strike," but I am aware of how the episode ended in relation to the city and Dr. Weir, so don't spoil the rest of the episode for me.

We know Tapping is signed on to Season 4 for a total of 14 episodes, which is almost equal to being there as a full time regular. We also know that Torri Higginson has been reduced from a series regular to a recurring guest star, but the number of episodes is unkown.

I'm hoping Weir will remain in charge of Atlantis, and that the actress's demotion to recurring guest star simply means Weir won't be in ever single episode. I'd be cool with this so long as it's something like 10-15 episodes.

However, I feel that there is a very strong chance that Weir will either step down, be severely injured and thus incapable of leading Atlantis, or be killed off. This would allow Sheppard to take over the Atlantis Expedition or it could allow Carter to take over the expedition. Think about it... Atlantis, the technological marvel, lead by Carter. It just makes sense. Carter's brains would be applied to the city while McKay's brains are applied in the field. Why else would Carter spend so much time in Atlantis? It just makes sense.

If this is the case, do you think this'll be good or bad for the show? If you don't think Carter will replace Weir, tell us why!
    Last edited by Daniel Jackson; 08 February 2007, 08:55 PM.

Personally, I don't think it seems NECCESARY to do this, but I wouldn't be devestated. I really like the character of Weir, and I have seen First Strike in which
    Spoiler:
    some developments occur that make me see your theory as highly plausible.

It just didn't seem like the show was crying out for it, but hey, bringing in an established SG-mythology character is not a terrible thing - to me it was much more a stretch of the imagination after the events of Lost City that all of SG-1 wouldn't be working in Atlantis for a while!

So, here I am, non comittal but hoping for it to be handled well.

Comment

why would carter replace weir? she's the same rank as sheppard and it's been said that she will command her own ship. people seem to keep thinking that weir may be killed off but there's no evidence to support that.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by langdonboom View Post
        Personally, I don't think it seems NECCESARY to do this, but I wouldn't be devestated. I really like the character of Weir, and I have seen First Strike in which
        Spoiler:
        some developments occur that make me see your theory as highly plausible.

It just didn't seem like the show was crying out for it, but hey, bringing in an established SG-mythology character is not a terrible thing - to me it was much more a stretch of the imagination after the events of Lost City that all of SG-1 wouldn't be working in Atlantis for a while!

So, here I am, non comittal but hoping for it to be handled well.
        in a realistic environment after the ori are gone, all of SG-1 would head over to atlantis due the huge resource they are. that's why i quite like the idea of carter coming over (i would have prefered daniel but fair enough)

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          why would carter replace weir?
          If Weir leaves the show, I forsee Sheppard, Carter, or some new guy taking command.

she's the same rank as sheppard
          She could always get a promotion. I know she just got a promotion three years ago, but the woman's a genious! Besides, I am sure that are a few people in the military who have moved up in the chain of command quite fast.

and it's been said that she will command her own ship.
          No, it has not. It's been said she will come in her own ship. That could simply mean she's commanding the ship in her first episode, but that could quickly lead to a command transfer. It could also mean that Carter has a personal ship, like a Puddle Jumper for example.

people seem to keep thinking that weir may be killed off but there's no evidence to support that.
          "First Strike" is evidence to suppot the speculation. Obviously she doesn't die in the season premiere, because she'll be in more than one episode. However, she could always die of her injuries, be killed in an explosion later on, or sacrifice herself to save the city.

Comment

I severly doubt it.
            All it means to me is that the team will be going off world more often for the whole episode so there less need for weir.

Comment

Well carter might be the commander for a season with wier as her advisor then after her contract has run out wier takes over becouse carter says she does a good job,she couldnt do it bla bla back to normal

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

There is no point to kill Weir. I can see a story arc involving the power struggle between Weir and the military that leads to Carter being in command temporarily. That would make some interesting stories.
                I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Sams and weir are too nice to let there be a power struggle. A power struggle between weir and sheppard would be cool though. If anything Carter would be weirs advisor but again I doubt that'll be how it'll go.

Comment

Personally I'd like to see Dr. Jackson in charge of Atlantis.

Comment

The episode is 3-20. . . . . . but that's neither here, nor there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy_Little_Muffin View Post
                        Personally I'd like to see Dr. Jackson in charge of Atlantis.
                        if weir ever had to leave i'd love for that to happen. Daniel is the next best qualified person to lead the expedition.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                          This thread contains spoilers for the end of 4-20 "First Strike."

I feel that there is a very strong chance that Weir will either step down, be severely injured and thus incapable of leading Atlantis, or be killed off. This would allow Sheppard to take over the Atlantis Expedition or it could allow Carter to take over the expedition. Think about it... Atlantis, the technological marvel, lead by Carter. It just makes sense. Carter's brains would be applied to the city while McKay's brains are applied in the field. Why else would Carter spend so much time in Atlantis? It just makes sense.

If this is the case, do you think this'll be good or bad for the show? If you don't think Carter will replace Weir, tell us why!
                          Wow-I know I'm stepping in dangerous waters here, since I'm a newbie and this is a hotly debated topic on this board. Hopefully I won't get in over my head.

After watching First Strike, I'm really not sure which way they're going to go, but I think one of the two will end up leading (Sheppard or Carter). There were foreshadowings in the episode that could be interpreted either way. I'm pretty sure that Elizabeth will be in less than half of the episodes. No, don't ask me where I get that idea from. It's just my own feeling based on the fact that both Hammond and Landry on SG-1 retained a place in the credits, and I don't think Weir would lose that if she was only going to take a similar background role. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

I can't tell where they're taking the show next year, and I think that will have a lot of bearing on who commands. If the situation they find themselves in at the end of the season is only temporary, and they return to the status quo within two or three episodes, then, yeah, I could see Carter taking command. If in fact this was a way of launching the show in a whole new direction, then I think (and personally hope) that Sheppard will command.

This again is just my opinion, but I hope they go with the latter option, and not just because of the command issue. I think it opens up a lot of exciting possibilities.

Trying to stay on topic...Could Carter replace Weir? It's possible. Would it be a good thing? That's up for debate, obviously, depending on how you feel about the Carter character. Personally, I don't want to see Carter replacing Weir, and I don't think it would be good for the show. I'm ok with her in Atlantis otherwise, but I'd rather not have her in command. This is only my opinion-I'm not trying to criticize others who disagree. As to why I feel that way.... well, I'll just stick with saying it's just my opinion. The issue of Carter in command (whether of SG-1 or Atlantis) has come up before on this board while I was still an anonymous lurker, and been long and bitterly debated. I'm getting braver, but I'm still not brave enough to stick my neck on that chopping block. And so, signing off now...feeling some small measure of fear for daring to post here.... (Squawk!)
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                          sigpic

Comment

If Carter lead's atlantis this means sheppard might loose his militry responsabillitys i would hate to think that carter would be taking over, they should stay where they are, and how they gonna wield this around the 2movies because she get's trapped on a ship and lives out 50years of her life

Comment

Originally posted by alyssa
                              Could she replace Weir? Not unless she suddenly learns five languages, and then adds Ancient to that. And not unless she has some secret history as a diplomat/negotiator we don't know about.
                              I wonder if we'll ever get to see Weir use her language skills again. Not since "Lost City, Part I" have we seen her speak another language.

Comment

Working...
                              X