• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not In Portland (307)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON THREE
    NOT IN PORTLAND
    EPISODE NUMBER - 307

Jack uses Ben's life on the operating table to try and free Kate and Sawyer, but Juliet has an agenda of her own. When Kate and Sawyer manage to escape, they must find help from one of the Others in order to make it back to their island.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 23 November 2007, 06:06 PM.

Egads what an ep!!

Loved the impact the story had on everyone who was listening...even what's-his-name-Zeke seemed to do a bit of a double take of Jack.
    sigpic
    Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
    "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

Indeed. I'm starting to like Tom, a.k.a. Mr. Friendly. I hope we get a backstory on him since he's one of the most mysterious characters on the show, except Ben.

Despite the fact that the action didn't switch to the beach at all it was a really good episode. Juliet's research may have been how Sun got pregnant, if it works by getting a woman pregnant who can't. The story telling was a very powerful moment. It brought Jack and Kate back to the very beginning and I could see Sawyer getting a little jealous. I'm not very sorry to see Pickett go. I've never really understood his dislike of Sawyer.

Ben being Alex's surrogate father was unexpected, although there was some mention of their connection in the fall finale. Did anyone catch what the subliminal message about Jacob said? I ask because Jacob apparently is an Other who compiled a list of the survivors.

Overall, ***1/2 stars for the powerful performances all around and the mini revelations.
      Spoiler:
      Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Comment

Wow, four big HUH?! moments in the first two minutes, and a couple more later on. That's what I love LOST for.

All of the LOST moments that aired for this ep were mostly from the first 10 minutes, and then one scene shortly before the end (the Kate/Sawyer boat escape scene). Nothing really surprising about the escape in itself.

What I didn't really expect was Juliet's flashbacks to the time before the island, the reason why she's here, why she hasn't left and why the heck she was acting so weird in the first 6 episodes. Makes sense to me ATM, and I don't feel cheated by TPTB. I'd rather have more screentime for the others/not-so-others now, than less.

I loved the Clockwork Orange scene. I watched that movie a couple of days ago because I knew there would be references to that in this ep. I would love to sit down in that room and watch the screen for the whole time. Someone in another forum has posted screen caps from the video, and I'm still puzzled.

The 3 years, 2 months and 28 days back reference should mean the week(s) around September 11, 2001. Another date is expected to crop up at the end of S3, and I hope TPTB use these cosmic dates wisely.

Can't wait for more.
        Last edited by sgeureka; 08 February 2007, 02:27 AM. Reason: grammar
        No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
        (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

This was a fantastic ep. Lost is getting better and better.
          I liked the clockwork orange stuff. I guess thats how
          they condition people.

I'm wondering if Michael was in one of these.

Comment

i was thinking that juliet's work probably explained sun. she was taken then a few days/weeks/episodes later she was preggers
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              i was thinking that juliet's work probably explained sun. she was taken then a few days/weeks/episodes later she was preggers
              But I thought the problem was with her husband, not her and she lied to him about it?

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

it may be. i can't recall if the issue was jin or sun, but it might have been jin

of course....if the problem is jin, then where did the baby come from?
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  of course....if the problem is jin, then where did the baby come from?
                  Possible implied solution 1.) And why can Locke walk after being in the wheel chair? And why does Rose feel she's no longer ill? Why do wounds heal so fast on the island?

Possible implied solution 2.) Why haven't we seen any biological Others' children on the island? Why are the Others so keen on steeling kids? And why did they bring a fertility doctor on the island for experiments at all (if we can believe Juliet)?

Could be red herrings though, but I doubt it.

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."

Comment

After this episode, finding that Juliet was able to induce pregnancy in such a way, Ive formulated a theory that perhaps the island(s) is(are) a testing ground for survival of humanity (or certain people) if there should be some kind of disaster.

Keeping babies coming is a big part. The research into how humans react in certain situations (seemingly what has happened in the DHARMA stations) is important (e.g. what happens if you task a person with a task that must be done indefinitely on a close schedule - the button & timer). The healing of injuries/disabilities?

Sure, there's more to it, but that's my speculation on the purpose of everything - then again nothing in that explains the numbers, the prophecies of crashing on the island, the auto-mated defence system monster, etc.

Awesome episode. It was great to have some background of an Other.

Comment

sun was never taken/captured.

the one time she had the bag put over her head, it was Charlie.

Comment

Well, i haven't been a great fan of the Jack/Kate/Sawyer eps at the start of this season (mainly because i much prefer episodes with all the cast in and interacting).

Having said that - this was by far the best of these, and does redeem the point of the opening to the season somewhat in my eyes. Yep - enjoyed it a lot.

Oh and, bizarrely, that was the second mown over by a bus scene i watched in one day
                        I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

I thought it was implied that Sun had gotten pregnant by that guy she was having the affair with - after all it was revealed that it was Jin who was impotent.

They also have made a big deal about Sun and her lies so this kind of all ties in...

Comment

Okay, I knew that LOST was a weird show, and that the show's fans might have some mild form of craziness themselves, but what I heard/read about in a LOST forum some minutes ago leads me to wonder whether I'm still too sane for this show.

Lost - Backwards Speech during the Brainwashing scene in Not in Portland
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwWhM8Xb_oQ
                            (This gives a few hints about where they're going in S3 and 4, if you aren't a LOST spoiler freak already.)

And it sounds a little creepy, but it's even creepier that TPTB included this message over and over in there. And that I didn't notice and didn't even think about checking this sequence myself.

Comment

It was originally said that Sun was the one unable to conceive. It was later revealed in the same episode that it was infact Jin. The doctor was scared of what Jin might do. In the same episode we had reason to believe Sun had been faithful and attributed it to an 'island miracle'.

We learned earlier this season that Sun was infact not faithful to Jin, so it could be either.
                              "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Working...
                              X