Not In Portland (307)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ItsDan View Post
    Okay in fairness and to not be dismissive of your theory I went back to watch the scene again. You're right in that when Jae starts kissing her she says she can't. But up until that second she looks really guilty. It also appears to be morning, like they'd spent the night together.
    Based on what TPTB have chosen to share with us about Sun and "the other man", I would say their relationship was "progressing". I don't know what time of day it was when they were in bed together, but it did appear to be daylight outside. That said here are some reasons for the basis of my theory.

1. I can't imagine Jin allowing his wife to be gone overnight.
    2. Why would Sun tell Jin the truth about him not being able to conceive, and then lie about being with another man?
    3. You don't say "I can't do this" AFTER you already have. You might say "I can't do this anymore", but that's not what she said. Evidently, that was the last time she saw him alive, so there was never an opportunity for "the other man" to change her mind.
    4. Assuming Sun was telling Jin the truth, to most logical explantion is that Jin has become fertile. The healing powers of the island have been demonstrated repeatedly.

Just some random thoughts.

Comment

1. I can't imagine Jin allowing his wife to be gone overnight.
      2. Why would Sun tell Jin the truth about him not being able to conceive, and then lie about being with another man?
      3. You don't say "I can't do this" AFTER you already have. You might say "I can't do this anymore", but that's not what she said. Evidently, that was the last time she saw him alive, so there was never an opportunity for "the other man" to change her mind.
      4. Assuming Sun was telling Jin the truth, to most logical explantion is that Jin has become fertile. The healing powers of the island have been demonstrated repeatedly.

Fair points. To play devil's advocate:

1) Jin may have been working, presumably many of his 'missions' could have been late at night. But yes that is a good point.

2) When Sun told Jin he was the only man she'd been with, she looked away and I immediately felt like she was holding something back or was lying to him. This was in season 2, before we had the season 3 bedroom scene.

3) Okay but lots of things can be implied. Also the way she said 'I'm married' and he shrugged it off as 'oh, that...' seems to me like it was an issue they'd 'dealt with ' before. If it was their first time in bed I doubt he would have been so dismissive about her marriage. If they'd already slept together he may have known it really wasn't that big of a deal to her once she got over her initial hesitance. Also the whole scene is odd if they weren't post-coital when the scene began.

That would imply they removed their clothing, calmly got into bed naked, pulled the sheets up to their shoulders, waited a few moments, and only then did Jae move towards her. I can't imagine most affairs start that way.

My personal take on the situation was that they'd already had sex, perhaps alcohol was involved (I should go back, see if theres a 'champagne bucket' in the room I didn't notice), or perhaps it was just in a moment of passion. The next morning (or just later if it was during the day) when Sun's blood wasn't boiling anymore she felt guilty and began to think about her marriage. The 'this' she referred to when she said "I can't do this" was the affair as a whole, not sex in general.

4. Yes exactly. That's certainly a likely scenario considering what we've seen. The timeline is a little odd, her and Jin weren't getting along when they got to the island, it wasn't really until the end of season 1 that they were close again. How long is that? A couple weeks in show time? It's possible she'd feel pregnant in that timeframe, but many women wouldn't.

I also like to stay atleast a little sceptical about the medical miracles on the island. To review:

-Locke's legs are healed! Well, except we don't know how he got into the wheel chair. If he was hit by a car I think people will be upset considering how long we've been waiting to find out. There is of course the possibility it was all in his head. I think thats partially reinforced by the fact that Locke has temporarily lost the use of his legs when he doubted himself.

-Rose's brain tumor is gone! Well assuming she ever had one, assuming she a) told the truth and b) wasn't misdiagnosed. Oh and even if she DID have one, how do we know it's gone? We have only her 'feeling' on it.

-Sun is pregnant! Well of course she had opportunity if nothing else to have an affair. Even if you don't personally think she did, it's still possible.

Am I missing any? Also consider all the people who weren't healed, so it isn't a universal effect. I personally DO believe the healing is happening, but I also notice all the major ones seem to have more rational explanations.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

-Locke's legs are healed! Well, except we don't know how he got into the wheel chair. If he was hit by a car I think people will be upset considering how long we've been waiting to find out. There is of course the possibility it was all in his head. I think thats partially reinforced by the fact that Locke has temporarily lost the use of his legs when he doubted himself.
        If anything, he suffered a proper accident. He may be able to walk, however it doesn't appear as if he can feel pain in legs, if he's got any sensation in them at all.

--

Overall I don't think you are missing anything, but Locke seems to be the only real proof there is some sort of healing ability on the island, perhaps with the exception of how Charlie was able to recover from his addiction fairly quickly but as you stated, there are other explanations as to how others could have been healed if they had injuries (minus Locke, who does seem to have a proper problem).

I also do believe that the healing can happen, and that it does have a somewhat powerful if unpredictable effect. Rose was supposed to have been cured from cancer in pretty much instantly (along with Locke), yet Ben's own tumour were something that needed to be removed by surgery and he's been on the island all his life. The whole idea of univeral and unlimited healing potential would just removes something from the show, because have such a force on the island would remove a lot of the danger, and it would also make injuries a lot less serious.

In the end, people who've been injured yet able to survive for a short time should have a better chance of healing if it was something affecting everyone. Boone, Shannon and Libby all survived for a short time after being injuried, yet still died instead of an powerful force healing them

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X