Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627

Thread: Rare Pairings

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

Default Re: Rare Pairings

I hate S/J with the heat of a thousand suns so I generally avoid places where it's the be all, end all of all pairings.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

S/J? Do you mean Sam & Jack O'Neill or Sam & Janet Fraiser?

If you mean Sam & O'Neill then I completely agree, I dislike them together too, I like them as just good friends and colleagues, I could never understand the appeal of this pairing and it doesn't help that I don't like O'Neill's character overall, so I don't like him with Sam. I would much rather prefer Sam with Martouf or Daniel or even Mitchell over O'Neill, I think the Sam & O'Neill ship is probably 1 of the most over-rated pairings I've ever seen from any show.

But if you mean Sam & Janet together, then I don't really like that pairing either, I like them together as just good friends, they were like sisters and I love how close they were, sad Janet died

Quote Originally Posted by LindaL100 View Post
    S/J? Do you mean Sam & Jack O'Neill or Sam & Janet Fraiser?
    Sorry, I assumed everybody knows S/J stands for Sam/Jack -- or is the most used for it anyway.

Especially, since a few posts earlier, I made a mention I like Sam/Janet (which is also S/J but in a different category and less referred to it that way).

icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

It's a little confusing when both pairings are referred to as "S/J" so I wanted to be sure, thanks for clarifying.

Anyway another rare pairing I like is Sam & Jonas Quinn, I believe this pairing is VERY rare compared to many others since the only person I know so far who likes them together is myself lol I really liked Sam's relationship with Jonas in S6, I think Sam was the most welcoming of Jonas joining the team after Daniel left and she was the one who encouraged O'Neill to give Jonas a chance to prove himself on the team and forgive him. Unlike O'Neill, Sam respected Jonas from the start and she really brought him into the fold and under her wing, they had this kind of mentor/pupil working relationship and I think it's because of this reason that Jonas had the closest relationship with Sam, they worked great together in S6, and I like the idea of them as a couple too it's too bad that Jonas was a main character only in 1 season and then only guest appeared in 1 episode in S7 and that was the last we ever saw of him, I wish he had become a permanent member of the team and stayed for the rest of the seasons I would rather have Jonas back than to have Mitchell & Vala join the show.
    And I just realised that this pairing can also be referred as "S/J", it's getting even more confusing now!

Honestly I ship Sam with several guys in SG-1, I like her with Daniel, Mitchell and Jonas, but my OTP is still Sam & Martouf no other Stargate couple or pairing comes close to Sam & Martouf for me!
    I'm really disappointed that Sam did not end up with either of these guys though instead it was hinted many times in SG-1 and once in SGA that she ended up with the one male character whom I dislike her with; O'Neill although this pairing was never officially confirmed, but we can all agree that Sam & O'Neill were strongly hinted to be a couple.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, and bar from the canon couples nothing is certain. I don't care about hints or whatever. If it wasn't specifically said or shown, it's not canon for me.

In fanfiction anything is possible (as fanfic authors demonstrate on a daily basis).

I agree with you, as long as these couples or pairings are not officially confirmed, they can't be considered canon, despite the fact that there were many hints implying that Sam & O'Neill became a couple, but it was never actually confirmed so they should not be considered canon.
    The only pairings that are canon are couples who were actually together in the series like Daniel & Sha're and Sam & and that cop Pete Shanahan.

But if you include alternate realities, then Sam & O'Neill were shown to be "canon" in at least 2 alternate realities in the earliest seasons, Sam & Martouf were also mentioned to be canon in 1 alternate reality, and so were Sam & Rodney. But pairings and events that happened in alternate realities are probably not considered 'canon'.

Alternate realities are not this reality. But canon they are.
    As far as realities go, only Earth 1 (otherwise I'm going to confuse myself) is of importance.

it's just that some people don't consider alternate realities to be real canon, if they are then pairings like Sam & O'Neill and Sam & Martouf would have to be considered "canon" too, but most fans I've seen don't consider these couples to be real 'canon' couples even though they were together in alternate realities.

Many people seem to consider pairings and events that actually happened in the main universe that the show is based in real 'canon'...some consider alternate realities to be just 'possibilities' rather than actually canon. I guess it's a matter of subjectivity...

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

As with the alternate reality canon couples thing, I agree that a lot of people just seem oblivious or just outright dismissive to it. Especially if they include a char from their favorite ships, and they just don't multi ship. It's all a matter of opinion and perception though. The cool new ideas and ship fics though is why AO3 is so great.

Personally, my fav alt reality ship & OTP is Sam & Rodney, but I ship a lot of people, lol. One rare pairing example I like is the idea of Vala/Rodney.. I just think they'd work well together emotionally and get into all sorts of funny mishaps.

I never did jump on board with the whole Sam/ Jack thing either.
    Sam and Martouf all the way for me.
    I tend to think that anything D and C and thereafter is set in an alternate reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gefjon87 View Post
    I tend to think that anything D and C and thereafter is set in an alternate reality.
    Just sail along on the river of Denial -- there's always room on my boat since they killed off one of my favorite characters in SGA which was also part of my OTP --> Kate/Teyla - Kate Heightmeyer bit the dust in Doppelganger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gefjon87 View Post
    I never did jump on board with the whole Sam/ Jack thing either.
    Sam and Martouf all the way for me.
    yay glad to see another Sam & Martouf shipper! IMO they were the couple that should've happened and should've been endgame! Martouf did not deserve to die he deserved to have a happy ending with Sam! At least they were together for a while in an alternate reality, I think that's the most we will ever get as far as Sam & Martouf romance is concerned...it's still better than nothing I suppose.

As for whether alternate realities should be considered real canon or not, I agree that it really depends on individual opinion, some consider it canon and some don't.

Another couple I like and can be considered "rare" is Teal'c & Ishta, I like them together a lot, they're both very similar, both rebelled against their respective Goa'uld lords to fight for a better future for their people and they're both very strong-willed, they were such a good couple together which is why it's so disappointing that Ishta only appeared in 2 episodes and then she just disappeared and was never mentioned again she was such a great character with so much potential, I liked her alot and wanted her and Teal'c to have their happy ending, after losing their respective partners, they deserved to be happy together. And they were actually canon in the series...however I assume their relationship didn't last since Ishta never appeared again after ep 8x09 and she was never mentioned again afterwards

But I don't see many people who ship them together, anyone else here who likes Teal'c & Ishta?

Teal'c & Ishta... I can't even remember who she was but I think you mean the Jaffa woman.

That was indeed a nice side-relationship. Teal'c had a few women on the side.

yes Ishta was the leader of the all-female Jaffa Hak'tyl Resistance, I think she and Teal'c were great together, I just wish we could've seen more of her in the series. Like I said before she was such a great character with so much potential to bring more to the series, it has always confused me as to why the Hak'tyl was represented by Ka'lel on the Jaffa high Council when Ishta was their leader, shouldn't Ishta be the representative since she's the leader? The only reason I can think of that would explain why Ishta didn't come back after only 2 episodes is that the actress who played Ishta Jolene Blalock was working on 'Star Trek Enterprise' which was being filmed at the same time as seasons 7 & 8, so the actress was probably busy with ST Enterprise & the producers couldn't get her back for more eps.

Well Teal'c had romantic relationships with a few women in the series, 1 of them was his wife of course, he also had a relationship with a Jaffa priestess whom he was involved with before he met his wife (they reunited later), and finally Ishta was the last woman he was romantically linked with. I wish Ishta had come back, I really wanted her & Teal'c to be endgame.