Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best SG-1 episode to show to an 'outsider'?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best SG-1 episode to show to an 'outsider'?

Hi! Newbie here- I usually lurk once in a while... I'm un-lurking due to a big decision I need to make, and would love to get input from y'all.
    My best friend has promised to watch Stargate SG-1 episodes for my birthday. She's not a science fiction fan, but I've been gushing about SG-1 for years, and I've finally broken her down.
    Now- the BIG QUESTION... which episode do I show her first???
    I have Seasons 1-8 on DVD. Keep in mind that she's not a big science fiction fan... I'm thinking to avoid any Unas episodes.
    Let the opinions begin! (Deadline is Feb 10th.)

Disclosure or Inauguration (are the best for an stargate intro)
    or my favorite trilogy Avalon/Origin (i showed this eps to my friends and they get hooked xD)

Dont use Threads xD (one friend mine saw that ep first, was very confusin XD)
    Hallowed are the Ori !!!
    Follow the path of the Enlightment !
    Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

My hub and I just started to rewatch the entire SG-1 series on DVD (it's fun to see how the gang has changed over the years!). If you want to start with an early ep, Children of the Gods sets everything up w/o being too sci-fi. But if you don't want to go through all of the introduction/exposition, a couple of my faves from Season 1 are The First Commandment and Thor's Hammer. Yes, TH has an Unas in it, but it's really good.

It all depends upon what you're friend is into normally. If it's "romance," pick A Hundred Days or any of the smoochy eps (pick your fave character). If she likes The X-Files, choose an ep where the Team is on Earth, especially during Jonas' time w/ the Team. (SG-1 on Earth is The X-Files, IMHO.) If she's into character interaction, there's several great eps out there - maybe Beneath the Surface?

Does she like any of the SG-1 actors? Maybe start with an ep featuring one of them? There are several humorous eps, if you want to start things off loose and fun.

Hope it goes well!

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

3 words: Window. Of. Opportunity.

Comment

Emancipation.

First one I saw ,so maybe I'm biased.

Tell her you're showing just one episode and then sit her down for the movie.
          sigpic

"Let's not be too quick to exclude the possibility that the woman might be, uh... what is the clinical term? Nuts?" -- Rodney McKay, PhD

What does Cat have to say today?

Comment

Originally posted by gategirl68 View Post
            Hi! Newbie here- I usually lurk once in a while... I'm un-lurking due to a big decision I need to make, and would love to get input from y'all.
            My best friend has promised to watch Stargate SG-1 episodes for my birthday. She's not a science fiction fan, but I've been gushing about SG-1 for years, and I've finally broken her down.
            Now- the BIG QUESTION... which episode do I show her first???
            I have Seasons 1-8 on DVD. Keep in mind that she's not a big science fiction fan... I'm thinking to avoid any Unas episodes.
            Let the opinions begin! (Deadline is Feb 10th.)
            "Children of the Gods"

This episode best represents the show as it's the first episode, it establishes SG-1 very well, and it gives an idea of whut a typical episode will be like.

Comment

It's best to show her the first episode, Children of the Gods.

That way she knows what its like, how it all began and etc.
              http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
              http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Seconded.

I'm slowly introducing my roomie to the show though, but I think I'm doing it backwards, starting with The Lost City (awesome--she fell in love with Jack right away) and following the Ancient/Asguard/etc timeline back through the seasons. I have yet to show her WoO, but that might change this weekend.

So, I guess I'm giving you two answers: The Lost City has proven successful, and WoO is just some great TV. But the movie's also great too...Anyone have a three-sided coin?
                sigpic
                Sig quote c/o Spiletta42, Sig pic a gift from JennniferJF. TY!
                Reality is for people who can't handle Science-Fiction

Comment

'Children of the Gods' is a great suggestion; just start your friend at the beginning.

But if you want to emphasize certain aspects of the series, you can pick out choice episodes. 'Window of Opportunity' is probably the show's greatest humor episode. 'Abyss' is one of it's darkest, most dramatic moments, and is the episode that got me watching the series. 'There But For the Grace of God' and 'The Fifth Race' are grand sci-fi adventures, while 'Nemesis' is a great action ep.

I wouldn't start a beginner with any of the later seasons, as there's too much history built in that you'd have to explain along the way.

a time to mourn

Comment

Children of the gods,or Reckoning.My friend hooked up after seeing that ep.
                    4 easy steps how to make people hate you
                    Spoiler:
                    Ignore them
                    Spoiler:
                    talk bad about them behind their backs
                    Spoiler:
                    Use lots of spoiler tags
                    Spoiler:
                    Your name has to be Rihard Gaberšcek

sigpic

Comment

Show the Movie and then start at the beginning, but to get some1 hooked it'll have to be Window of Oppertunity.

Comment

One word abyss best daniel and o neill dialogue and best enemy(baal)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          ha yea id advise this or for the more serious side and to show what drama and excellence stargate has to offer the lost city(bit of back story required though)

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Lord Baal View Post
                            One word abyss best daniel and o neill dialogue and best enemy(baal)
                            but you need to see Frozen to understand Abyss and both those episodes is just to bring Daniel back but if you don't know who Daniel is or saw him die you can't really appriciate(sp?) it!
                            ------------------------------------------------------

It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth. The minor fall, the major lift. The baffled king composing Hallelujah

My Art Work!

Still Seeing Breen

Comment

Yeah I'd have to say WOO or besides that 2010 followed by 2001

Great Episodes
                              STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
                              legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X