This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Earth, Our Backwater Mud Ball

Over the course of the show I've noticed the Goulds and other advanced races look down on Earth, calling it a backwater planet and such. From what I've seen, with the exception of MAYBE Hebridian, no other world out there has the luxuries of Earth. On Earth (in the post-modern countries) we have a diverse culture, fast food, fast cars, ipods, jewelery, flat panel hdtvs, sports, big houses, fashion, etc. All the other "Advanced Worlds" lack most of these things. Tollana, which was supposedly centuries ahead of us didn't seem like a pleasant place to live. Tiny Apartments, no wildlife, and everyone wore the same clothes. It seemed to be culturally stagnant.

Even Atlantis doesn't seem to have any recreational facilities.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    fast food, fast cars, ipods, jewelery, flat panel hdtvs, big houses, fashion,
    ...These are good things? We are better off than any other planet in the universe cuz we have Mickey D's? Huh????

Comment

Hebridian Quotes
      "Well, the gaming experts agree. You can wager on the outcome of the Loop of Kon Garat at any of Tech Con Group's friendly gaming kiosks, conveniently located throughout urban centers near you. Tech Con Gaming Kiosks - If you don't play, you definitely won't win"

"Interesting ... in a horrifying sense. If you have a loved one who's close to death ..." (A logo appears on the screen next to Ardal as the camera focuses on him alone.) "Don't delay. Contact Tech Con Group Funeral Services today and make your loved one's farewell memorable beyond words. Tech Con Group Funeral Services: Helping you make peace with death."

"Well, it sounds like maybe they could use a couple of bottles of Radon Shield 55 - new from Tech Con Cosmetics. Radon Shield 55 protects you and your whole family, from the intense radiation of the sun. Day in, day out, Radon Shield 55 keeps your fun factor up and your lesion count down. Available at quality Tech Con Family Outlets everywhere."

"Ion Pro is guaranteed to improve drive performance, no matter what class ship you fly. Whether you're competing in the Loop of Kon Garat or just taking the kids to school, use Ion Pro in your power source. Ion Pro, from Tech Con Propulsion Systems: Your system wide experts in Ion drive technology."

"All right, then. We'll be right back with post-race interviews after a word from our sponsor: Corso's Temporal Eatery - where your whole family can eat what they want, when they want. Part of the Tech Con Group family of restaurants."

MAYBE the Hebridians !!!! xD !! they have everything ! xD
      Last edited by The_Fifth; 28 January 2007, 02:11 PM.
      Hallowed are the Ori !!!
      Follow the path of the Enlightment !
      Why Sg1 !!?? Why not me!!?? Why !!??

Comment

I think what he is trying to say is that we are more culturally advanced than other worlds. Being a backwater Planet has it's advantages as the Go'uld and even the Ori who have not attempted to attacked Earth yet (They did in The Road Not Taken but that was in an alternate reality so that doesn't count) have looked past us as were out slightly out of the way.

Comment

oh yes, i thought about this and the Gould really aren't as evoled as we are!

they weren't even born with their own opposible thumbs!

anyway yeah in a millitary techology sense they are ahead but emotionally and in culture they seem very primative.

and i have always hated the Tollan, they're jerks!
          ------------------------------------------------------

It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth. The minor fall, the major lift. The baffled king composing Hallelujah

My Art Work!

Still Seeing Breen

Comment

Originally posted by cowpants View Post
            ...These are good things? We are better off than any other planet in the universe cuz we have Mickey D's? Huh????
            YES.
            ------------------------------------------------------

It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth. The minor fall, the major lift. The baffled king composing Hallelujah

My Art Work!

Still Seeing Breen

Comment

Originally posted by LadyWolfie View Post
              oh yes, i thought about this and the Gould really aren't as evoled as we are!

they weren't even born with their own opposible thumbs!

anyway yeah in a millitary techology sense they are ahead but emotionally and in culture they seem very primative.

and i have always hated the Tollan, they're jerks!
              No... they weren't Jerks.

The reason they wouldnt share tech is for the same reason the supposed "First World" nations won't share nukes. It's a bad idea.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I can understand where you guys are coming from, but I feel that I must question some of the points raised here. We have malls, we have stuff, we have convenience. We've got a zillion different cultures and a lots of respect for each of them. This does not necessarily make us more advanced. It could, but it doesn't have to. Alien cultures may have just evolved past the need for "Stuff" and do what they do for the common good. Or bad, as the case may be. All I'm saying is that is hard for us to determine "advanced" per se, just what we deem may be advanced. It is still highly possible that they are more advanced then we are, or we could be more advanced than they. We just don't know.

As for the Tollans, yeah, they were jerks. But they did what they had to do. I agree with their reasoning for doing things, but they could have done it in a much nicer manner.

Comment

All Earth has is Advanced Materialism and lots of warfare....

Seriously, I think I know why the Goa'uld look down on us, because for them its "Been there, done that". Either that or they see a mirror on our Tau'ri culture.
                  http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

I don't understand how anyone could class fast food as a luxury...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      I don't understand how anyone could class fast food as a luxury...
                      It is to those in 3rd world countries (I was born in the Philippines, but I would NEVER class it as luxury), as well as to people who are.. well.. poor.
                      http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                      http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

its good when they think we are rubbish and a backwater planet, so then we can jump up and surprise them they dont expect it and lose or die

Comment

Yeah we do rock
                          sigpic

Comment

Sorry Ripple, but I'd trade in ipods, fast food and so-called fashion, etc., for just a little peace and harmony in the world. I believe that is why many other races consider Earth to be a "backwater". We are not judged by our achievements, but by our glaring failures, which are too many to state.

Sorry to enter RL stuff.......just my opinion.
                            On fighting:
                            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Gotta love the Hebridians! I miss those guys

Comment

Working...
                              X