Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

Does anybody else think the special effects and editing in general have become more and more... cheap?

I mean they keep using more and more CGI explosions, that just look like crap, especially the fire the dragon was breathing in the quest, and many others. And not just that, but the sets are starting to look fake, apparently it's the lighting, the camera work... everything.

Looking back at the earlier seasons, the effects look WAY better.

Not to mention the opening credits, it looks like some Fox Kids transformers thing, the CGI looks aweful, and so does the turning gate.

What's going on?
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Originally posted by metabog View Post
    Does anybody else think the special effects and editing in general have become more and more... cheap?

I mean they keep using more and more CGI explosions, that just look like crap, especially the fire the dragon was breathing in the quest, and many others. And not just that, but the sets are starting to look fake, apparently it's the lighting, the camera work... everything.

Looking back at the earlier seasons, the effects look WAY better.

Not to mention the opening credits, it looks like some Fox Kids transformers thing, the CGI looks aweful, and so does the turning gate.

What's going on?
    TPTBs are cheap.(MHO)
    Yes.

Comment

The texture on the gate in the opening sequence is just pure placeholder, as is the overall detail imo.

They might want to create a sketchy effect, but they shouldn't.

Also the explosion of the C4 in the Quest looked very cheap, the way it went through the dragon, it should at least have distorted a bit..

Comment

Thye can still pull of some cool looking stuff like reckoning and stuff but i tend to agree.
        Atlantis gets all the flashy stuff now.

I 1rst noticed the down grade in the eps "New order" 1 and 2 inwhich not only did the Black holw and cargo ship look rubbish compared to normal but the CGI asgaurd did not look as gd as in "Revelations" but also when the replicators in bug form (which have always been gd CGI apart from this one bit i am about 2 mention) As the replicators where boarding their Spider ship if yopu looking at the larger ones boarding in the background they are almost 2D static iomages sliding across the floor. At least thats what they look like.

Also Thors ship in that EP "New Order" looked bad with its sliver tin foil walls.

However they have gottern better at split screen and space ships
        sigpic
        Banner Made By Me for Me
        The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

No I disagree. The effects look better imo especially the sets. Look back at
          "Torment of Tantalus" to see just how fake that set looked. I think the sets and CG look very good in generla. Sometimes it's hard to get things to look real especially fictional things like the dragon. I admit it looked CG but it was believable imo. I think over the years the effects have gotten better nad better and believe that is still the case.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I'm not sure but Ori ships are the most detailed and realistic looking ships I've ever seen on stargate so that part of cgi has gotten better.

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
              I'm not sure but Ori ships are the most detailed and realistic looking ships I've ever seen on stargate so that part of cgi has gotten better.
              Agree. The ships look great. Sometimes the regular effects are noticable but in general are very well done.

Comment

Yeah I agree the ships look great, but I am refering to the general CGI effects overlapped with the real footage. And dammit the Ori village sets look like crap, really unoriginal.

Please just look at earlier seasons like season 6... it was all so much... better somehow.

Even the Ori soldier outfit... it looks goofy.

Not to mention the camera work. Now it's just unoriginal, not at all experimental or new, just generic.

And to be honest... the plots as well but that's off topic.
                My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

The special effects (explosions and stunts) are done by the cast and crew. The CGI (ships) is done by Rainmaker. The actor who plays Siler is in charge of stunts and special effects. So if you want someone to blame, its him.

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

I have noticed that some of the CGI has got worse in SG1. I watch both SG1 and Atlantis in HD on sky and Atlantis looks photo realistic when there are starship battles and underwater scenes but on sg1 alot of the stuff looks low quality in comparison. Maybe Atlantis has a bigger budget?
                    Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Atlantis looks WAAY better, we have to all agree on that (size innacuracies aside ). The final scene with McKay sitting on the pier in atlantis in Sunday is breathtaking, seriously, atlantis itself is an amazing model.

I would've rather gone without the dragon than have that low poly piece of crap fly around in that meadow, lol. I'd be embarased if I was part of the crew and watching the ep.
                      My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
                        Yeah I agree the ships look great, but I am refering to the general CGI effects overlapped with the real footage. And dammit the Ori village sets look like crap, really unoriginal.

Please just look at earlier seasons like season 6... it was all so much... better somehow.

Even the Ori soldier outfit... it looks goofy.

Not to mention the camera work. Now it's just unoriginal, not at all experimental or new, just generic.

And to be honest... the plots as well but that's off topic.
                        We must be watching different shows as I don't see it. I think everything from the costumes to special effects to CGI looks great on both SGA and SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith View Post
                          I have noticed that some of the CGI has got worse in SG1. I watch both SG1 and Atlantis in HD on sky and Atlantis looks photo realistic when there are starship battles and underwater scenes but on sg1 alot of the stuff looks low quality in comparison. Maybe Atlantis has a bigger budget?
                          Actually its the other way around - SG-1 has a much bigger budget than Atlantis....

However SG-1 spends much more on actors and crew (10 years of pay increases add up) than Atlantis
                          sigpic

Comment

Well then let's hope next year with SG-1 gone completely Atlantis will become something incredible.
                            My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

It's not really fair comparing the city of Atlantis to the dragon. Atlantis would be much easier to create, a dragon is a moving, flying, fire breathing animation.

Comment

Working...
                              X