Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
    I agree the ships look great if only they'd get the scale right..

"right" as in consistent btw, since in the Pegasus Project you see the ship flying over, then you see it flying around where it's small, then you see the kawoosh where it's big again.
    No, it was scaled right; you just missed the perspective. When the Ori ship was "small", it was much farther away from us than the supergate.

EDIT: And I disagree; I think the SFX has been pretty awesome this year beside a few bumps; but then, nobody's perfect.

Comment

One thing that I thought would have been an improvement is the fire in the Ori city. It looks too CGI, it would have looked better if they did some kind of thing with real flames.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
        One thing that I thought would have been an improvement is the fire in the Ori city. It looks too CGI, it would have looked better if they did some kind of thing with real flames.
        Yeah but with actually seeing Ori flying around in the flames it be hard and it be very dangerous to be so close to such a huge wall of fire.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The CGI looks great in comparison to movies like ‘Ultraviolet’, what a graphical disappointment.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            I agree. I don'y get these nitpickers as I just don't understand it. The space battles, battle between Adria and Daniel, everything in camelot, Flesh and blood I mean com on it's great!
            It's not that hard to render ships and effects, it's hard to get it right.

Compare it to making a SW mod, sure you can just go along use whatever weapons you think look cool, but it won't be accurate, and it won't be truly SW.

Making one of the biggest Asgard ships look small (although that is debateable), and making every other ship the same size isn't what I think looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
              It's not that hard to render ships and effects, it's hard to get it right.

Compare it to making a SW mod, sure you can just go along use whatever weapons you think look cool, but it won't be accurate, and it won't be truly SW.

Making one of the biggest Asgard ships look small (although that is debateable), and making every other ship the same size isn't what I think looks good.
              I see you point and it's a good one but I still think the scaling was right.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
                I agree it wasn't perfect but I think they've sinced improved their fire rendering skills judging from 'The Quest part 1'
                Spoiler:
                The wall of fire daniel stepped through looked perfect

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                I see you point and it's a good one but I still think the scaling was right.
                I disagree, although everything looked great in the camelot battle and was really good to watch the scaling was very off. Ha'taks, Earth ships and asgard ships were all the same size, which we know not to be true. I would say it was a matter of perspective but judging from the angles and just general look you could see the scaling was really mixed up.

Comment

If you (not directed towards anyone in particular), tben I suggest you whip out your S1 DVD's, plop your butt down on the couch and watch some eps from S1 that have CGI in them. What we are seeing now, compared to the CGI from S1 and the earlier seasons is fan****intastic. The CGI from s1 and the earlier seasons was crap compared to what we are seeing now. Rainmaker CGI is the s***!

Best Stargate quote:
                  Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                  Green is your friend.

Comment

The only things that have really bothered me about the cgi in recent years (not including the scaling in 'Camelot') are:-

1. The Opening Sequence. It has basically the same kind of layout as the S6 credits but they were of the actual gate set (or very good cg) and looked really good. The gate in the current sequence just looks cheap and bugs me everytime I see it.

2. The mutated creature in 'Uninvited'. That was just f***ing terrible! I cringed when I saw that. I was hoping for something along the lines of the Re'oul from 'The Fifth Man' - still obviously cgi but atleast it looked like they made the effort.

3. The dragon, while obviously being cg, was not that bad. Something like that is not easy to make realistic and I think they did a good job with what was no doubt a very tight budget.

I`m not naive enough to expect photo realism in every episode, especially on a show that has been running for 10 years and therefore pays alot of its budget out to wages for the cast.

They are using cg alot more these days, where as in the early seasons they would have used cheaper practical effects to achieve a similar result. When you start using cg more regularly the $$ spent soon mount up and it becomes more and more difficult to maintain the same quality.
                    If there were more seasons I would suggest to TPTB going back to the practical effects they used in earlier seasons as I could go without the bells and whistles because these effects worked and were very pleasing to the eye (big explosions - can't go wrong there!).
                    Like many shows in the past they have learnt to rely too much on cgi and have forgotten how they managed the same quality for less money in earlier seasons.

Having said that, the cg in SG-1 continues to be first class. They have had some not so good moments lately but if you weigh the quality of the effects over the last 10 years then it shows the quality of this show - just one reason why it has persisted for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by freyr's mother View Post
                      Camelot was one of the greatest battles ever, and you're letting the fact that there were scaling issues destroy your enjoyment of it. Jeez, the nitpickers!

Now the dragon in Quest was complete crap. But rainmaker did their best. It is very difficult to CGI something living, and make it have movements, texture and coloring that look real. Living things are always really hard to do.
                      I laugh when people talk about how great the Camelot space battle was. Trek were doing better effects 10 years ago. Just look at the DS9 Dominion battles if you really want to see a good space battle.
                      We all know that SG-1 plots are determined by what can be used again in their wardrobe department. Thats why every second episode is standard alien(human) race in medi-evil rag uniform.
                      Their cheapness can be found in that TBTB can only afford to have 4 ori ships for a supposed invasion fleet.
                      Just wait for the cheapie effects in the DVD movies!!

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                        I laugh when people talk about how great the Camelot space battle was. Trek were doing better effects 10 years ago. Just look at the DS9 Dominion battles if you really want to see a good space battle.
                        We all know that SG-1 plots are determined by what can be used again in their wardrobe department. Thats why every second episode is standard alien(human) race in medi-evil rag uniform.
                        Just wait for the cheapie effects in the DVD movies!!
                        You have a real negative attitude towards the show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
                        Originally posted by david2708
                        Their cheapness can be found in that TBTB can only afford to have 4 ori ships for a supposed invasion fleet.
                        How do you explain the Reckoning and No Man's Land space battles then?

In The Road Not Taken
                        Spoiler:
                        there are 5 toilets attacking Earth.

Best Stargate quote:
                        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                        Green is your friend.

Comment

Star Trek special effects always looked hokey to me, but then again I'm nuts.

SG has a bunch of effects that are absolutely incredible, and the occasional one that is questionable. The scaling of the "Camelot" battle was weird, but the actual fighting was fairly well done. In the past few years, the only really weird bit of CG was the dragon... that just looked bad.

Comment

Cheapness? You mean those guys are actually trying to produce the show on budget?!

Holy Hannah! Those *******s!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              Cheapness? You mean those guys are actually trying to produce the show on budget?!

Holy Hannah! Those *******s!
                              LMAO!!!!

How dare they, right?

Personally, the CG aspects of the show are only a small part of the enjoyment for me. They definitely don't make or break an episode IMO.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

A few things:

"Special effects" are NOT CGI, special effects are anything done ONE SET FOR REAL that is staged, like the old explossions from Gliders shooting at SGI, or the flashes from the gun barrels, or the explossions from waepons hitting people or things.

CGI is called "visual effects".

Just a few points to remmember.

Comment

Working...
                                X