Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76
  1. #41
    Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UMass
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by david2708 View Post
    I laugh when people talk about how great the Camelot space battle was. Trek were doing better effects 10 years ago. Just look at the DS9 Dominion battles if you really want to see a good space battle.
    We all know that SG-1 plots are determined by what can be used again in their wardrobe department. Thats why every second episode is standard alien(human) race in medi-evil rag uniform.
    Just wait for the cheapie effects in the DVD movies!!
    You have a real negative attitude towards the show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by david2708
    Their cheapness can be found in that TBTB can only afford to have 4 ori ships for a supposed invasion fleet.
    How do you explain the Reckoning and No Man's Land space battles then?

    In The Road Not Taken
    Spoiler:
    there are 5 toilets attacking Earth.

    Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

  2. #42
    Galley Slop Master cowpants's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Watching you. Always.
    Posts
    434

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Star Trek special effects always looked hokey to me, but then again I'm nuts.

    SG has a bunch of effects that are absolutely incredible, and the occasional one that is questionable. The scaling of the "Camelot" battle was weird, but the actual fighting was fairly well done. In the past few years, the only really weird bit of CG was the dragon... that just looked bad.

  3. #43
    General
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,102

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Cheapness? You mean those guys are actually trying to produce the show on budget?!

    Holy Hannah! Those *******s!

  4. #44
    General the fifth man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.
    Posts
    34,121

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    Cheapness? You mean those guys are actually trying to produce the show on budget?!

    Holy Hannah! Those *******s!
    LMAO!!!!

    How dare they, right?

    Personally, the CG aspects of the show are only a small part of the enjoyment for me. They definitely don't make or break an episode IMO.

    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

  5. #45
    Captain
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    1,033

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    A few things:

    "Special effects" are NOT CGI, special effects are anything done ONE SET FOR REAL that is staged, like the old explossions from Gliders shooting at SGI, or the flashes from the gun barrels, or the explossions from waepons hitting people or things.

    CGI is called "visual effects".

    Just a few points to remmember.

  6. #46
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,281

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    LMAO!!!!

    How dare they, right?

    Personally, the CG aspects of the show are only a small part of the enjoyment for me. They definitely don't make or break an episode IMO.
    yeah just look at babylon 5. that had 5 fantastic seasons but their entire budget per season was the same as just one episode of star trek voyager which was on at the same time.

    stargate has amazing cgi anyway but it isn't what makes the episodes great.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  7. #47
    Lieutenant Colonel kirmit's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Planet Monkey, UK
    Posts
    4,104

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by david2708 View Post
    Their cheapness can be found in that TBTB can only afford to have 4 ori ships for a supposed invasion fleet.
    Just wait for the cheapie effects in the DVD movies!!
    The 4 ships were simply their first wave, if you send anymore than that (based on the power of a single one of these ships) the galaxy wouldn't stand a chance at all. I'm not the biggest fans on some of TPTB's decisions but I think this was the right choice, you have to give the fans a little hope that our heroes will be able to do something. If they sent their whole fleet (likely hundreds of ships) straight away then there'd be no hope of defeating this enemy.

  8. #48
    Chief Master Sergeant Tanith's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by david2708 View Post
    I laugh when people talk about how great the Camelot space battle was. Trek were doing better effects 10 years ago. Just look at the DS9 Dominion battles if you really want to see a good space battle.
    We all know that SG-1 plots are determined by what can be used again in their wardrobe department. Thats why every second episode is standard alien(human) race in medi-evil rag uniform.
    Their cheapness can be found in that TBTB can only afford to have 4 ori ships for a supposed invasion fleet.
    Just wait for the cheapie effects in the DVD movies!!
    The DS9 battles were great, but they were working on a budget too, most of those shots were re used a number of times. At least on Stargate the big battles are always new and unique.

    The number of Ori ships and the reason for most of the planets being medieval has been explained in the show plenty of times. The Ori ships are the first wave of the invasion fleet and the reason most planets are not advanced is because the Goa'uld stopped the population of the planets they ruled from developing any further.

    To say it's cheap is wrong, they are simply being consistent with the main story they have developed throughout the show.
    "At least my heroes exist. If this was a Trek convention, you’d be all dressed up like a Klingon."

  9. #49
    Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UMass
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanith View Post
    The DS9 battles were great, but they were working on a budget too, most of those shots were re used a number of times. At least on Stargate the big battles are always new and unique.

    The number of Ori ships and the reason for most of the planets being medieval has been explained in the show plenty of times. The Ori ships are the first wave of the invasion fleet and the reason most planets are not advanced is because the Goa'uld stopped the population of the planets they ruled from developing any further.

    To say it's cheap is wrong, they are simply being consistent with the main story they have developed throughout the show.
    Now lets be honest, you can hardly use the word consistent when talking about Stargate. But you are right in that the Goauld did prevent races worsipping them from becoming too advanced.

    Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

  10. #50
    Captain Avenger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, Ca
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Some CGI is going to be wonky no matter what you do.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

  11. #51
    Chief Master Sergeant markaudette's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    232

    Post Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    I thought season 10's CGI has been incredibly bad. Especially that damn dragon. All the effects-related shots in that two parter just looked bad. Really bad. The show's cost cutting measures have been very, very, very appearant in season 10.

  12. #52
    Captain Dutch_Razor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    A galaxy not so far away...
    Posts
    1,945

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    No, it was scaled right; you just missed the perspective. When the Ori ship was "small", it was much farther away from us than the supergate.

    EDIT: And I disagree; I think the SFX has been pretty awesome this year beside a few bumps; but then, nobody's perfect.
    The shot was seconds in between, does that mean the Ori ship can teleport all of a sudden?

  13. #53
    Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    6,477

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    I saw the Ice Planet trailer.There are one of the greatest space battles I've ever seen.And it's just a trailer
    Last edited by g.o.d; January 31st, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

  14. #54
    Lieutenant Colonel freyr's mother's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    UMass
    Posts
    4,527

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by g.o.d View Post
    I saw the Ice Planet trailer.There are one of the greatest space battles I've ever seen.And it's just a trailer
    What Ice Planet trailer?

    Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

  15. #55
    Colonel
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    6,477

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by freyr's mother View Post
    What Ice Planet trailer?


    http://www.ice-planet.tv

    video section.There's one

  16. #56
    General
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20,102

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
    The shot was seconds in between, does that mean the Ori ship can teleport all of a sudden?
    Nope. Rewatch the scene again; quite some time pass between the Ori ship's arrival and when we see it far away.

  17. #57
    Lieutenant General Mitchell82's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    16,340

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by markaudette View Post
    I thought season 10's CGI has been incredibly bad. Especially that damn dragon. All the effects-related shots in that two parter just looked bad. Really bad. The show's cost cutting measures have been very, very, very appearant in season 10.
    What you wanted a real dragon? What if it ate people?! Anyway it looked fine to me and season 10's CGI is far from bad.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

  18. #58
    Second Lieutenant ori soldier's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    behind you
    Posts
    307

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    I think on select eps u are right but alot of the time the effects are better. U kepp saying how bad dragon was but what abot assembling of weapon and fight at the end in quest prt 2. they were rely good special effects. The reason the atlantis space battles are better is because generally sg-1 shows how big space and how tiny the ships are in it like in company pf thieves were as atlantis focuses on how big the ships are amking it look more realistic.

  19. #59
    Staff Sergeant acce's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    65

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Since season 8, I Find that all the medieval cities look the same : Studio!!!
    The ships are cool, not as cool as BSG maybe, but it's good.
    I found that the dragon in ''s10e11'' looked little faked yah...
    All good things must come to an end...
    Canada Rule!!!

  20. #60
    Lieutenant General Mitchell82's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    16,340

    Default Re: Does anyone think the CGI has gone worse, not better?

    Quote Originally Posted by ori soldier View Post
    I think on select eps u are right but alot of the time the effects are better. U kepp saying how bad dragon was but what abot assembling of weapon and fight at the end in quest prt 2. they were rely good special effects. The reason the atlantis space battles are better is because generally sg-1 shows how big space and how tiny the ships are in it like in company pf thieves were as atlantis focuses on how big the ships are amking it look more realistic.
    Agreed.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Stargate has gotten worse over the years...
    By Indiana in forum General Stargate Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: February 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM
  2. Better of Worse: SG1/Atlantis
    By Elite Anubis Guard in forum Stargate Atlantis
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2005, 05:53 PM
  3. Who's Worse, The Orii or the Wraith
    By NowIWillDestroyAbydos in forum Stargate SG-1
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2005, 08:18 PM
  4. The Ori, Worse than the Goa'uld
    By LORD MONK in forum Stargate SG-1
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: July 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
  5. Genii vs Wraith, who's worse?
    By yettobeseen in forum Stargate Atlantis
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •