This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaming through the wormhole

I wonder if it's possible to beam someone and send that transmission through a wormhole. Radio transmissions work both ways, so perhaps it's possible to overcome the matter only goes one way limitation by using beaming technology.

Also, I wonder if you can beam through an iris or a shield. Radio transmissions work through them just fine, but maybe you can't since Anubis didn't try beaming stuff through it and the Asgard prefer to shut down power to prevent the iris from closing altogether instead of beaming. Then again, no one has even thought of beaming through wormholes yet, so maybe it's not possible at all.

Spoilers from Quest 2:

Spoiler:
    It is indeed possible. Such a method was used in Quest part 2. Basically the Ancients used their transportation pillars, the ones first seen used by the Sodan, to transport stuff through open wormholes.

I do not know whether Asgard beams can be used in this way or whether an iris might help block this though.
    "A witty remark proves nothing" - Voltaire

Comment

Didn't Vala also beam through the ori supergate, just before it blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1138 View Post
        I wonder if it's possible to beam someone and send that transmission through a wormhole. Radio transmissions work both ways, so perhaps it's possible to overcome the matter only goes one way limitation by using beaming technology.

Also, I wonder if you can beam through an iris or a shield. Radio transmissions work through them just fine, but maybe you can't since Anubis didn't try beaming stuff through it and the Asgard prefer to shut down power to prevent the iris from closing altogether instead of beaming. Then again, no one has even thought of beaming through wormholes yet, so maybe it's not possible at all.
        Spoiler:
        As proved in a recent episode (I forget the name) SG-1 is beamed through the wormhole of Stargates by Ancient beam technology so it is possible with Ancient technology but that wouldnt be too hard as they were the gate builders and know everything about them.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Claw View Post
          That is correct.

Beaming through a stargate has been known to be possible since the season 9 episode 'Beachhead'.

However, when Vala went through the gate, her pattern was picked up a ring platform on the other side. So her transport was successful because she used Ancient technology because there was something on the other side to pick up her signal and reintergrate her.

The Quest II:
          Spoiler:
          and just like Vala, when SG1 went through the gate, there was another transporter on the other side to pick up the signal and reintergrate everyone. The technology used was also Ancient in origin

I don't think Asgard beaming tech would work in general, as there is nothing to intercept the signal once it goes through the gate. Only way I could see Asgard tech working would be if they had a transport tower on the world they are beaming to. Such as Sumeria and K'Tau.

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
            Hmm, it would have helped if I'd actually seen The Quest Part 2. I missed it.

As for Asgard transporters, I thought the destination doesn't need a re-integrator (otherwise how can you beam stuff to the surface of a planet?).

I forget what happened in Beachhead though, was the gate still active when Vala got sent through? If it was, that was an incoming wormhole (so matter can be made to go the other way if it's a matter stream from the rings).

Comment

To use Asgard beaming tech you need to use Asgard scanning sensors to lock onto both the beam from and beam too locations, As far as we have seen no scanning tech has work through a worm hole. Maybe you could beam someone from another gate to your gate using the radio tag implants SG1 used before Earth had Asgard sensors.
              "Dying doesn't work in our favour!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nylon View Post
                To use Asgard beaming tech you need to use Asgard scanning sensors to lock onto both the beam from and beam too locations, As far as we have seen no scanning tech has work through a worm hole. Maybe you could beam someone from another gate to your gate using the radio tag implants SG1 used before Earth had Asgard sensors.
                That would be cool. Just set up a remote dial and send the signal for beamout. Like a "get out of jail free card."

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
                  That would be cool. Just set up a remote dial and send the signal for beamout. Like a "get out of jail free card."
                  That might actually work, especially if you set up the detector tech on the MALP or a UAV.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
                  Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

so you can ring through an incomming wormhole to a ring platform on the other side?? cool.

what did vala do? she beamed (asgard) throught the supergate and was reintergrated at a ring platform on the other side.
                    what ship was she in when she flew into the supergate?

Comment

A Goa'uld scout/cargo ship.

Comment

Originally posted by wedge11 View Post
                        so you can ring through an incomming wormhole to a ring platform on the other side?? cool.

what did vala do? she beamed (asgard) throught the supergate and was reintergrated at a ring platform on the other side.
                        what ship was she in when she flew into the supergate?
                        As PG15 said, "A Goa'uld scout/cargo ship". Vala tried to ring off the ship back to the Prometheus however the beam got pulled into the wormhole and travelled through the otherside where an Orii ring platform intercepted the signal and restored her.

I think a Goa'uld ring transporter being able to work both ways through an incoming our outgoing wormhole is definitely something I'd like to have explored more.

sigpic

Comment

hell yes!! this is huge.

Comment

I don't think that it would work for rings, else the Gou'ld would have picked up on it ages ago.

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
                            Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Comment

Originally posted by 1138 View Post

The Asgard don't do anything to the iris, the connection they make is from another galaxy so all of the SGC's power is sucked to the gate. Lights, iris, computer all go down.
                              Beaming through a stargate has been known to be possible since the season 9 episode 'Beachhead'.

However, when Vala went through the gate, her pattern was picked up a ring platform on the other side. So her transport was successful because she used Ancient technology because there was something on the other side to pick up her signal and reintergrate her.
                              No... Vala's matter stream got sucked into the black hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X