Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

I've been watching a lot of the movies I haven't seen in a while and rexamining them. Star Trek V is certianly a better film then I remembered it being. It's a lot more cerebal in terms of its story (like Star Trek: The Motion Picture) and even though the special effects are way below par for a Star Trek film (which really hurts during the ending sequence) the film is still a admirable effort. The actors, story, and witty exchanges between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are what really sell this film. But the special effects and at times tedious pacing are what causes this film to be regarded so lowly by fans and critics which is a shame because there is a really good film here.

7.5/10

timdalton007

I thought the special effects were great, except for the elevator scene. 78 decks? Come on, now... going by window size, it's obvious the ship is 20-30 decks.

This is a fantastic movie that gets harsh critisism it simply does not deserve.

Comment

yeah i agree. it's not my favorite of th films but it's by far not the worst.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I thought the FX in this were the worst of any film.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Same. There were just too many to mention.

This is still the only Trek film I'd switch off if it happens to be on TV. I just hate it.

Comment

But why? What's so wrong with it? It reminds me of old original series episodes.

Comment

Yeah...I was never a big fan of the original series.

That might explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Same. There were just too many to mention.

This is still the only Trek film I'd switch off if it happens to be on TV. I just hate it.
                Haha yes.....even the first time watching it felt.....painful.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  Yeah...I was never a big fan of the original series.

That might explain it.
                  You like the TOS movies, but you don't like TOS. Huh?

Comment

Yeah i'm confused as well.

Comment

There's a difference.

For one, I can let go of the crappy SFX, of which there are very few (relatively speaking) in the movies.

And it was just less cheesie overall.

Comment

yeah but the cheesiness is what's so much fun. You watch the original series to laugh your head off at it.

Comment

I'm more embarassed, actually.

Comment

I think that Star Trek V was actually pretty good. Not a bad movie, but not the best either.

This movie appears to be Star Trek's perspective on "god". We meet Sybok, who is obsessed with finding this Sha'Ka'Ree planet. The Enterprise finds Sha'Ka'ree, and this "malevolent being" that asks, "you came in a ship?"
                            Kirk did the right thing by asking the being, "What does god need with a ship?"

My favorite part of the movie was when the Klingon Bird of Prey showed up out of nowhere and blew the being to kingdom come.

Notice how easily the being was destroyed? The Enterprise fired a weapon at the being, but it survived; Now, the Klingon BOP shows up and kills it? What's wrong with this picture? Were the Klingon BOP's weapons more powerful than the Enterprise's? Or did weapons range have something to do with it? If the solution was range, I would understand (The Bird of Prey fired at POINT-BLANK range).

One last thing - DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THE WIERD NOISES THAT THE god like made? They sounded like this:

...oooOOOOOOOOoooooo...
                            ...eeeeEEEEEEEeee......

Oh, and of course, I loved the Jet-Boot scene at the beginning. Timeless.

Here's a Youtube German trailer for Star Trek V if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpvq2nGvk-0
                            sigpic

Comment

The Klingon ship didn't kill it, they simply slowed it down so that Kirk could be rescued, much like the Ent's photon torpedo slowed the entity down so Kirk, Spock, and McCoy could get back to the shuttle.

Comment

Working...
                              X