This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the English, Welsh and Irish?

I know we have all sorts of nationalities on SG-A but I've yet to have seen anyone from England - or Wales or Ireland for that matter. The same is true for SG1. I know we have some Aussie actors in SG1 but again none of the above. Kind of feel left out!

Maybe Canadian/American actors can't do the accents as well as they can a Scottish one

Remember Dick Van Dyck and his 'Gawd Blimey Mary Poppins'? and be thankful

Comment

Good point. The weird English guy they had in SG1 when they 'revealed' the Gate's existence made me cringe.

Comment

Grodin was English btw...
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

The American's only know 2 kinds of English accent the 'Upper Class' a la Bertie Wooster and 'Cockerny' a la Dick Van Dyck. I honestly thought that Peter Grodin was Spanish when I saw Rising, no Englishman I've met ever had an accent like his

Comment

Oh, be fair... Americans know three English accents... Upper Class Twit (Wooster/Giles from Buffy), Cockney (Dick van Dyke/Spike from Buffy), and Manchester (Daphne from Frasier).

That's THREE!!!
            sigpic
            Stuart: “You’ve done nothing, Vince. You go to work, you go for a drink. You sit at home and watch cheap science fiction. Small and tiny world. What is there…that’s so impressive about that? What is there to love?”
            Vince: “Yeah.”
            Stuart: “…It was good enough for me.”

Comment

Maybe we could sneak Hugh Laurie in now that the Yanks think he's one of them after his performances as House?

Comment

Oh yeah I forgot Daphne and Spike.

Did they ever get Auf Weidersien Pet in America? There we're rumours that a 'phrase book' had to be published when Eastenders was shown in America and Subtitles were standard when Taggart was shown. Mind you I have difficulty undertanding Taggart and I used to work with the Scots Guards

Comment

Peter Wingfield who played Tanith in SG-1 is Welsh.

And he's lovely...in...a strange...older kind of guy way...but if young people can go gooey over RDA then I sure as anything can go gooey over PW.

I'm British...I'd star in Atlantis if they'd let me!!!

I can speak with a Welsh, Irish, Cockney, Glaswegian, American, Canadian, Czech, Australian, Yorkshire, Northern accent.

Just need my big break.

Comment

Originally posted by paulkd44 View Post
                    Maybe we could sneak Hugh Laurie in now that the Yanks think he's one of them after his performances as House?
                    Now that's a great idea, I love Hugh Laurie.
                    sigpic

Comment

His last name is my first name.

Sorry, but I think that's cool.

Comment

How about colin farrell as a bad ass major?
                        But there should be some english and Irish guys in the show
                        sigpic

Comment

I've just had a mad vision of the lads from Auf Wiedesen Pet fixing Atlantis

I can see it now...

Oz: Doc'er We-Yah there's noo way me boys are gonna climb that con'rol tower wi'out moor-ah mooney, an any ide-yah when tha' ship o' you-ah's is bringin' a recordin' o' tha' last Noo-castle match, H'way the lads.

It's ain't easy writing Geordie

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                            I've just had a mad vision of the lads from Auf Wiedesen Pet fixing Atlantis

I can see it now...

Oz: Doc'er We-Yah there's noo way me boys are gonna climb that con'rol tower wi'out moor-ah mooney, an any ide-yah when tha' ship o' you-ah's is bringin' a recordin' o' tha' last Noo-castle match, H'way the lads.

It's ain't easy writing Geordie
                            LOL That is SO funny, what an image, I can't stop laughing. LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I'm glad you like it

I can see this too

John: have you got any idea what language he's speaking
                              Rodney: No and I don't think Elizabeth has either

Comment

Working...
                              X