The Road Not Taken rip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Road Not Taken rip-off

Does anyone else think that the plot for this episode is almost exactly like 'There But For The Grace Of God'? Just a Carter one instead of Daniel. I mean it sounds great and I cant wait for it next week but still

I'm so sick and tired of people saying that everything is a rehash of everything. Having a similar premise or theme does not mean that it's a rip-off. When you examine "Lifeboat" and "Scorched Earth", they're pretty similar in premise. Does that automatically make them ripoffs?

After 13 seasons, of course they're gonna revisit some themes and premises. Of course they're gonna do things that have been done on other shows. Nobody is ever original when it comes to movies and television.

Pretty much everything has been done already. You can trace everything back to really old TV shows from the last century.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm going to reserve judgement on this one until I see it, although I do agree that the premise seems inredibly similar. (I wish they had gone with Joe's Time Travel one instead).

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
        Hmmm. I'm going to reserve judgement on this one until I see it, although I do agree that the premise seems inredibly similar. (I wish they had gone with Joe's Time Travel one instead).
        But wouldn't that be obvious rip-offs of "1969" and/or "Moebius"?

Comment

This is Season 10. "There But For The Grace of God" was way back in Season 1. If it is a little similar, big deal. It's been a long time. I personally think this will end up being a very good episode.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'll wait till I see it before passing judgement, although I do have to admit that it does sound a lot like TBFTGOG.

TBFTGOG is one of my favourite episodes, it'd be interesting to see if this episode is as good as it.
            Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I think it's important in the case for them to be similar. TBFTGOG was significant in underlining the imminent threat of the Goa'uld to earth, and they were the bad guys for 8 years. History does repeat itself, and now we're faced with an enemy far more powerful, so I think it's realistic that they mirror each other. Also it looks like another Sam-heavy story, which can't be a bad thing.

Comment

There was already a thread on this somewhere and I'll repeat what I said there. While this episode does sound alittle like TBFTGOG it also sounds very different. I think it's not that big a deal if it is similar b/c i feel it is necessary to see just what will happen if we don't stop the Ori.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Tantalus View Post
                  I think it's important in the case for them to be similar. TBFTGOG was significant in underlining the imminent threat of the Goa'uld to earth, and they were the bad guys for 8 years. History does repeat itself, and now we're faced with an enemy far more powerful, so I think it's realistic that they mirror each other. Also it looks like another Sam-heavy story, which can't be a bad thing.
                  Sam heavy story is a very bad thing imo. I will give this one a miss. I haven't enjoyed a single Sam heavy episode in ten years. I don't think there is a chance in hell that I will enjoy one now. Grace, Avenger, Space Race, Death Knell, Emancipation, Prodigy....no I will skip this one thanks.
                  sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                    Sam heavy story is a very bad thing imo. I will give this one a miss. I haven't enjoyed a single Sam heavy episode in ten years. I don't think there is a chance in hell that I will enjoy one now. Grace, Avenger, Space Race, Death Knell, Emancipation, Prodigy....no I will skip this one thanks.
                    You just described some of my favorite episodes. Yeah I'll agree Eemancipation is not the best but I do enjoy it. All the others I really enjoyed b/c 1. AT is a great actres and really does her part well.2. I love the Sam character always have, but to each's own.
                    Last edited by Mitchell82; 19 January 2007, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                      You jut described some of my favorite episodes. Yeah I'll agree Eemancipation is not the best but I do enjoy it. All the others I really enjoyed b/c 1. AT is a great actres and really does her part well.2. I love the Sam character always have, but to each's own.
                      As you say, to each thier own! I hate Sam and I don't feel that AT is anymore than a fair actress but that is just mo. I do feel that episodes like Avenger do female characters no good at all,the way these ptb write Carter is at best infantile, at worst deeply offensive.

I really don't think TRNTwill be any better than most episodes that feature Carter heavily. These guys just can't write women characters.
                      sigpic

Comment

I really don't think TRNTwill be any better than most episodes that feature Carter heavily. These guys just can't write women characters.
                        They can't write male characters either, so whats the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
                          They can't write male characters either, so whats the big deal?
                          They seem to have done pretty well with Daniel and early seasons Jack and I love Teal'c and Martouf and Jacob and Hammond and Landry and well you get my drift. Women? Not so much, they have ruined Carter and Vala(lately), they killed off Janet and they lost thier way with Weir and Tayla.

Generaly, it does seem to be the women they have a problem with.
                          sigpic

Comment

They seem to have done pretty well with Daniel and early seasons Jack and I love Teal'c and Martouf and Jacob and Hammond and Landry and well you get my drift. Women? Not so much, they have ruined Carter and Vala(lately), they killed off Janet and they lost thier way with Weir and Tayla.

Again I disagree. I think they do a great job with both male and female characters.

Comment

you mean Marty Daniel Stu and his Amazing Powers(tm)? No, they've written all the of characters equal amounts of equal crap at times.

Comment

Working...
                              X