Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor - The most dangerous profession in the world? (Spoilers for SGA Sunday)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doctor - The most dangerous profession in the world? (Spoilers for SGA Sunday)

So the first time SG1 loses a main character, it's a Doctor. Daniel doesn't count. He didn't die. He ascended, and it was made absolutely clear to us that he was still around. So Doctor Frasier dies.

Now ok, arguably the first Atlantis main characters to die were Peter and Ford. But still, we've lost ANOTHER Doctor.

What is it about being a Doctor that makes TPTB happy about killing them off. We all KNOW that there's NO chance in hell they'll kill off Miss National Treasure Carter, or Ex-Jaffa Supreme Teal'c. No way will they kill off Sheppard or McKay...

So WHY do TPTB feel they can kill Doctors willynilly?

Now, I'm usually the FIRST to support character deaths. I wholly support the death of Janet. If it makes for a good story and is handled well, then why not? Plot comes first. Keeping characters around to make fans happy is stupid.

But the Doctor AGAIN!?

Surely, killing off a different main character would feel less repetitive?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Yeah, being a doctor in the Stargate universe is downright dangerous... first Fraiser, now Beckett. Wonder if it's in teensy tiny print in the contracts that doctors are prone toward dying heroically for some unfathomable reason....

Comment

I just fail to see why TPTB regard it as acceptable to kill off main characters that are Doctors but won't ever be brave enough to show some originality and backbone in killing of a main team member. The problem with TPTB is that they're becoming too attatched to "star characters" and they just want to milk them for as much as possible. SGA Sunday would have probably benefitted from the death of a different main character, HELL, even Weir, and she's a great character.

Spoilers for "Line in the Sand"

Spoiler:

Heck, this episode Carter (finally) began to make her way back into my goodbooks for the first time since Season 5. She showed actual genuine FLAWS. She showed a defeatist attitude for once. It was great. The damn thing was, we KNOW she won't ACTUALLY die, because TPTB would never do that.

They're too wrapped up in title characters, unless, it seems, they're Doctors, and thus "insignificant."

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Maybe if the killed doctors have had more screen time or the characters were more developed like the one and only Dr. McCoy in Star Trek, TPTB would think twice before killing them. Again, in Star Trek Dr. Crusher wasn't around as much as Bones McCoy, but still she had her moments. And the holographic doctor that Robert Picardo played in "Voyager" grew season after season.

Back to Stargate, Dr. Warner just vanished in thin air and Janet died in the line of duty ( shocking, but to me, it was a great episode ) . Dr. Lam is so annoying that I don't even care about what happens to her. I hate her chip-on-the-shoulder, I-hate-you-Daddy attitude.

Dr. Beckett was another matter : he was a likeable character that should have had more character development; I don't know if he had any trouble with TPTB but why bother to make him a main character in season 2 if you were planning to kill him in the middle of season 3 ???

I don't know...being a doctor in the Stargate Universe in the second most deadly profession. The first still is being a Battleship Commander.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          So the first time SG1 loses a main character, it's a Doctor. Daniel doesn't count. He didn't die. He ascended, and it was made absolutely clear to us that he was still around. So Doctor Frasier dies.

Now ok, arguably the first Atlantis main characters to die were Peter and Ford. But still, we've lost ANOTHER Doctor.

What is it about being a Doctor that makes TPTB happy about killing them off. We all KNOW that there's NO chance in hell they'll kill off Miss National Treasure Carter, or Ex-Jaffa Supreme Teal'c. No way will they kill off Sheppard or McKay...

So WHY do TPTB feel they can kill Doctors willynilly?

Now, I'm usually the FIRST to support character deaths. I wholly support the death of Janet. If it makes for a good story and is handled well, then why not? Plot comes first. Keeping characters around to make fans happy is stupid.

But the Doctor AGAIN!?

Surely, killing off a different main character would feel less repetitive?
          Daniel doesn't count because he's a doctorate doctor, not a medical doctor. On SGA, Rodney, Elizabeth and Carson are all doctors or doctorates.
          Last edited by FallenAngelII; 18 January 2007, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I meant Doctor as a profession, not a salutation.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I meant Doctor as a profession, not a salutation.
              Exactly, which is why Daniel doesn't count . By the way, Peter Grodin was not a main character. He was supporting character.

Comment

Being a doctor in the SG universe is just as dangerous as being a ship Captain.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Being a doctor in the SG universe is just as dangerous as being a ship Captain.
                  Ship captains usually get less pointless deaths. They die defending their ship or the galaxy. The doctors die by flukes.

Comment

Which brings me to my question, when the heck will they stop picking on Doctors and Ship character (God I'm worried about Caldwell), and kill a main team member?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Which brings me to my question, when the heck will they stop picking on Doctors and Ship character (God I'm worried about Caldwell), and kill a main team member?
                      I'm worried about Caldwell too. Since TPTB are so busy making crazy cast changes, I just hope they don't kill him to give the Daedalus to Carter...

About killing a main character...well, they don't take death seriously. Daniel just keeps ascending every time he's in big trouble. And Vala already died a witch death once...and then she came back. Jack died several times at Baal's hands and even Teal'c died once ages ago when the team met the Nox...

Now that Teal'c is into Jaffa politics, maybe a dissident fraction would kill him for real as a pretext to start a war or something like that...

What the heck, Mitchell with his Gung- ho ! attitude is a big candidate for the big sleep.

Comment

I wouldn't wan't to be a medic or a ship's captain in the Stargate universe thats for sure. Keep looking over that shoulder.

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Lam scene in unending where she'll be buying something from a vending machine and go

"Ooh...what does this button do?"

And dies

...Sadly it'd have as much meaning as Beckett or Frasier's death
                          sigpic
                          Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Even a better idea. Don't kill the main characters. Crap, if I want to watch people die left and right, I'd be watching '24". I'm sick to death (pun intended) of the escalating death count on TV shows. I watch SGA to escape reality, after all.

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                              I'm still waiting for the Lam scene in unending where she'll be buying something from a vending machine and go

"Ooh...what does this button do?"

And dies

...Sadly it'd have as much meaning as Beckett or Frasier's death
                              No no, she'll shake it to get out the bag of Cheez-its and the whole machine falls on her and SQUASH.

Comment

Working...
                              X