Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serenity HD-DVD Piracy

First Pirated High-Def Movie Hits the Web

The first pirated version of an HD DVD movie has made its appearance on the Internet. As first reported by the website Ars Technica, the sci-fi movie Serenity, encoded in VC-1, takes up 19.6 GB on a hard drive. (It would take about a day to download over a typical broadband connection.) The appearance of Serenity on BitTorrent comes less than a month after a programmer calling himself Muslix64 said that he had been able to bypass the copy protection on an HD DVD disc and indicated that the same method could be used with Blu-ray discs as well. In its original posting, Ars Technica asked, "Now that the genie is out of the lamp, so to speak, what will the reaction be from the content industry?" Thus far, the Motion Picture Association of America has not yet commented.

-----

It's a trivial thing, but I did think that it was interesting that out of all the HD-DVDs around the world, the first one to get ripped turns out to be our beloved Serenity. I'm not posting this so people can download it (buy it leechers) but I thought it was worth posting about.

sigpic

I saw that over at Whedonesque and thought it was kinda funny (no not in a good "piracy is good" way), just interesting. Probably not something to be proud of, except that it'll generate a little more publicity for the movie. But then again probaly not good.

But who knows.

Comment

There is no such thing as perfect encryption with media.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
        Which is why DRM (Digital Rights Management) will never work. If it's digital it can be cracked. It might take a while, but eventually it will happen, and then all the millions of dollars studios pay encryption companies to "protect" their media is wasted.

The sad thing is that the cost of DRM is passed on to the customer, which is one reason why HD-DVDs cost twice as much as a regular dvd.

By the way, it's not just Serenity that was cracked; all of the current HD-DVD titles had their disk keys lifted and will soon be available for download online. As long as the software player that allowed the keys to be lifted from memory remains anonymous, every HD-DVD that is released will be cracked. It's only a matter of time.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin View Post
          Which is why DRM (Digital Rights Management) will never work. If it's digital it can be cracked. It might take a while, but eventually it will happen, and then all the millions of dollars studios pay encryption companies to "protect" their media is wasted.
          Well, that, and DRM is complete rubbish.
          Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
          Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
          Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
          - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze View Post
            For sure. May work for a while, but people will eventually find a way if they want to do it so badly...
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
              For sure. May work for a while, but people will eventually find a way if they want to do it so badly...
              Not true. It is very easy to create the "perfect encryption". You just base it on a random pattern in which there are no keys nor code to decypher.

The down side is of course, not even the crypter can decode it because it is "perfect".

Comment

They will never be able to create a copy protection that won't be cracked (on DVDs I mean). That fact that DVD players at home have to be able to actually play the things back means there will always be a way to bypass the protection.

There will always be many more hackers out there than there are dollars to protect against them.
                The truth is out there. Getting there, well thats a whole different can of worms.

Comment

19.6 GB woah, thats nearly a quarter of my hard drive!
                  Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                  X