Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SciFi's Method of Advertising (Possible Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi's Method of Advertising (Possible Spoilers)

Is it just me or does the SciFi channel give away to much lately during its spoilers, the little clip reel that occurs at the end of the episode, to introduce the new episode.

I mean for example, Childhood's End was totally given away for me. It was like
    Spoiler:
    The atlantis team encounters a race of those who only live until the age of 25. Why? Because they are killing themselves off inorder not to explore their planet and leave the protective electromagnetic sphere, protecting them from the wratih! SciFi.

Come one now. Lets stop the massive spoilers. I love to watch them. They are so cool. They get you thinking.

I would prefer one like (making an example):

The Atlantis team encounters a new breed of Wraith, that could be friend or foe. But a startiling discovery by McKay could lead to a solution faster than what Major Sheppard wanted. Say some lines from the show, show a clip of some people fighting. BAM! Commercial that doesn't give away anything.

Anyone else feeling what I'm saying.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

SciFi's spoiler wasn't a spoiler, it was a errr... wth is the english word... a summary!

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      SciFi's spoiler wasn't a spoiler, it was a errr... wth is the english word... a summary!
      Rofl, that's great.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        I know! Thats why I hated them! They are to revealing this season.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

I think thats why people say movie previews practically tell the movie, haha... But newho, to me, they aren't revealing too much, just enough to attract people, maybe not to some people, but to me at least
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
            Is it just me or does the SciFi channel give away to much lately during its spoilers, the little clip reel that occurs at the end of the episode, to introduce the new episode.

I mean for example, Childhood's End was totally given away for me. It was like
            Spoiler:
            The atlantis team encounters a race of those who only live until the age of 25. Why? Because they are killing themselves off inorder not to explore their planet and leave the protective electromagnetic sphere, protecting them from the wratih! SciFi.

Come one now. Lets stop the massive spoilers. I love to watch them. They are so cool. They get you thinking.

I would prefer one like (making an example):

The Atlantis team encounters a new breed of Wraith, that could be friend or foe. But a startiling discovery by McKay could lead to a solution faster than what Major Sheppard wanted. Say some lines from the show, show a clip of some people fighting. BAM! Commercial that doesn't give away anything.

I don't recall any untoward spoilers in Childhood's End (though I could be wrong). Certainly, it was no more than you'd get reading the Gateworld two-line episode summaries, which I have never found excessive.
            Spoiler:
            What I remember was them saying that the kids sacrifice themselves at a young age, which we learn in the first ten minutes of the ep, and that things may not be what they seem. Which, since it applies to almost every ep, cannot possibly be counted as a spoiler.
            But I could be wrong here, I wasn't watching the trailer specifically to see if it was too spoilery, and it was a couple weeks ago.
            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

It wasn't the exact spoiler transcript, but the point I was trying to prove is that SciFi is revealing alot more in their spoilers than what should be mentioned.

They are giving out way to many details.

Comment

I kind of agree. Every once in a while I'll watch a show like Stargate or a movie and realize that they showed the end in the ad for the episode/film. Even though I don't usually analyze a commercial enough beforehand so that it ruins any surprises (often I notice if I see the ad again afterward), it's just kind of, I don't know, wrong when I realize they've done it. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                  I'm not quite clear on the spoiler rules for S7, so I'll go ahead and throw this in white, just to be safe.

I understand that there is a particular episode from early S7, and the commercial featured Jack saying:
                  Spoiler:
                  "You stole my ass and made a mini-me!"
                  - which, of course, anyone who's seen the episode knows is one of the first lines of dialogue in Act IV, thereby nullifying any and all drama and uncertainty.

I don't know much about the Atlantis promos - since I don't watch the show I don't pay much attention to them, but I've thought that the SG-1 promos have been getting much better this season. The ads for Covenant, for example, the dialogue was all taken from Act I.

But I would definitely agree with you that there have been a few times that they've gone way beyond what I think should be in a promo. They're supposed to give us enough to whet our appetite, not give us desert and hope we show up for dinner.
                  ~bri~

Comment

The one that made me mad was the preview for poisining the well where they showed what happened to poor ol' steve.

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25
                      I understand that there is a particular episode from early S7, and the commercial featured Jack saying:
                      Spoiler:
                      "You stole my ass and made a mini-me!"
                      - which, of course, anyone who's seen the episode knows is one of the first lines of dialogue in Act IV, thereby nullifying any and all drama and uncertainty.
                      Yeah, that one irked me quite a pretty bit. They spoiled a pretty big plot twist of the episode for the sake of getting a cool quote for the preview... Bleh.
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

That episode was fragile balance.

A spoiler that I liked, that I thought totally wet my appetite, was the LC1 and LC2 trailer.

It was a few clips, a few lines, and right before that SciFi logo appeared, Carter said "Sir, we've found the Lost City of the ancients", and it cut off right there!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X