This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of ship would you build for earth

Now that earth has defeated anubis. does anyone think that earth should work on improving their ship building program. Granted the prometheus did okay in combat but they still need something bigger and badder. Like the excalibur from bablyon 5 the crusade. can earth now finally gather the resources needed to go into mass production of the f 302 and prometheus ships.

...there's no way they could build anything better than Prometheus, since it has Asgard shields and weapons that they can't reproduce

Comment

It has to be better than Promethus. It's a pretty cruddy ship. They need to build one with better weapons and better shields. In Lost City, they almost lost all of their shield power which can't be good in battle. OK, maybe not a bigger ship probably one the same size or a bit smaller. It has to be a better design and have better features. Like a scout ship has cloaking. Perhaps the Promethus II should be invented?
      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
        It has to be better than Promethus. It's a pretty cruddy ship. They need to build one with better weapons and better shields. In Lost City, they almost lost all of their shield power which can't be good in battle. OK, maybe not a bigger ship probably one the same size or a bit smaller. It has to be a better design and have better features. Like a scout ship has cloaking. Perhaps the Promethus II should be invented?
        Only because they had to sit there and cover SG-1's Tel'tac and let nuby concetrate his entire fleets fire power on the poor prommie.

Judging by that engagement its clear just how bloody strong the asgard sheilds are.
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

No sh*t they almost lost shields, look at everything it is being hit with! I mean the mother ship there should have blown it out of the sky. It was getting hit with like 2-3 hits a second.
          It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

There's a problem with focusing too much on the ships, unfortunately, which is that it becomes much less 'Stargate' and more 'Starship'.

If they did however, then I'd like to see something different from the terran ships: Missiles, point defences in place of energy shields; that sort of thing. This was B5's strength; that each races' ships were very distinct. I'd like to think Stargate would do something as well thought-out.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
              Only because they had to sit there and cover SG-1's Tel'tac and let nuby concetrate his entire fleets fire power on the poor prommie.

Judging by that engagement its clear just how bloody strong the asgard sheilds are.
              actually only one of the ships was firing on promie from orbit.. anubis' mothership. which has no bearing on the outcome cos it was the biggest n most powerful one there.. we assume.

plus if our asgard shields are in any way like the goa'uld ones.. theyre less effective in the atmosphere of a planet... mayb

Comment

Adding to my earlier post. Even if Earth doesn't built a whole great big bulky ship perhaps something pretty powerful like an al-Quesh with good shields and weapons. Perhaps find a Goa'uld mothership and upgrade it really powerful
                __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                  Perhaps find a Goa'uld mothership and upgrade it really powerful
                  What do you mean, upgrade it? It would take years for Earth engineers to understand the technology on a ha'tak vessel, let alone begin to develop it. Look at the way the doomed red-shirt tech drools at the idea of inspecting the shield generators in Osiris' ship.

The fact that the Prometheus has Asgard shields is neither here nor there, since they would take even longer to work out, even with a repair manual.
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

The Prometheus was hit a hell of a lot more times than Anubis was hit in Homecoming, so I'd say it's obvious why their shields eventually started losing power.

Comment

Once they learn about the ion drives from Space Race, they could build some good ships (maybe). Remember that they were given some to study?

Comment

the enterprise with a stargate on it...

jk jk...

i guess it would depend on the current situation...if it were a war situation something like the o'neill type ship would probably be the best, those asgard knew what they were doing :-p but if my main concern was transportation and not fighting...something like an upgraded goa'uld mother ship. or we could just build ships like the ones in starcraft...which btw...vulcan type ships are my savior...
                        My flickr photography.

Comment

Why build a ship - why not built a Global Defense System. With all the technology surely this would be a better investment.
                          You have more control over your destiny than you ever thought.

Comment

what they really need to do is start building a fleet of smaller ships for minning and resource gathering on other worlds. as long as the stargate is in cheyenne mountain there is always going to be a bottle neck as to how fast and how much raw trinium and naquada we can get. yes the stargate is faster than ships but ships can carry much more than can be grought through the gate on any given trip and if the ships are on a regular schedule then there is a constant flow of the necassary material to build ships. the problem with building a bunch of capital ships is that it gets harder and harde to keep them a secret. you need multiple facilities if you are going to build many at once and those get hard to hide. also the fact that prometheus hasnt been spotted in orbit yet is hard to believe (although i think they keep it in the underground hangar when not in use) if you get a bunch going up in orbit someone is going to notice.

Comment

Personally, I like the Prometheus, and I don't know why it gets picked on so much. Given that it is Earth's first capital ship capable of interstellar travel and space warfare, I think it represented itself very well in LC 2. The shields took a massive pounding and held up to it. The weapons were the problem. They were both superior and inferior to the weapons of their attackers in that the Prommie had the advantage of range and roughly equivalent damage output, but they ran out of ordinance too quickly. The F-302 has the same problem. The Prommie is supposedly equipped with an Asgard energy weapon, but due to limited power output they aren't able to fire the weapon while maintaining maximum shield strength. What I would like to see them do is make at least a couple more Prometheus-type ships, but maybe incorporate/adapt some Ancients technology into to it to give some decent energy-based weapons and better power output. That way they could keep the shields up longer and inflict more damage. It would also be cool if they could equip the F-302s with some sort of energy-based weapon in addition to it's missles. That would give Earth the advantage in future engagements with equivalent, or even slightly superior, Goa'uld numbers.

Also, I think spg_1983's idea of our own version of the cargo shuttle would be a great idea. Especially if it incorporated the same stealth technology that the Goa'uld version does. As for the Prometheus and possible other ships being spotted, I think there are several ways to deal with that. One way would be to take the construction off-world, but this would only be feasible if they took it to a world that was at least close to our level of technology such as Kelowna or the world the Prommie got stuck on during its maiden voyage. Another way would be to incorporate stealth tech into all future ships and keep them that way at all times when near Earth. Of course, after the events of LC 2 I would find it laughable if at least part of the Stargate program wasn't made public knowledge, like maybe revealing the existence of aliens and that Earth has the Prometheus and F-302s. Which would render the problem of secrecy of future ships moot.

Lyapunovia makes a good point too. An orbital defense grid, similar to the one Daniel helped build in his dream in Absolute Power, would be a great help to the defense of Earth. However, there are certain problems with it that are probably keeping it from becoming a priority. First, it would be pretty much impossible to keep it a secret, since anyone with a decent telescope could possibly see it, especially if it was active. Also, it wouldn't be mobile which means it couldn't come to the aid of our off-world interests or our allies. If the gate were to become public knowledge then the need for secrecy wouldn't be an issue, but with Earth's limited resources it still might take awhile to build one since ships would still have an advantage. Anyway, that's just my $0.02 on the subject.

Also, if you are interested in the more technical aspects of SG-1 then I would recommend taking a look at http://www.stargate-tech.net , it's got lots of cool info.

Comment

Working...
                              X