No announcement yet.

Unending (1020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one more thought. Can the Unending be the first test of Universe? I mean the team is forced to stay on a spaceship and they became lonely then they live their life together while they try to find daily tasks to keep themselves occupied. Then this melancholic feeling became the standard for Stargate : Universe.
    Last edited by Platschu; 05 August 2018, 01:11 PM.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

This is a good episode on the closer side of fair.

My one question is that Sam states that they have enough food for three months when they started the time dialation. Where did they get the food?

Daniel's rant was too cruel and too long-- I felt that Daniel and Vala was at a good point in their friendship before this episode took place, that this particular tirade shouldn't have happened-- it seemed that the writers put them back to where they were at the beginning of season 10. The whole team seemed so isolated from each other ( except Daniel and Vala after the rant), and it just didn't feel like SG1 to me.

The ending was good, but was spoiled a bit with how isolated the all seemed to be on the ship.

Edited in 2022 to say that my opinion of this is the same as 4 years ago.
      Last edited by BethHG; 02 July 2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

im assuming replication... and recycling... they had the asgard replicator so it may have been cheaper to build a older more basic waste/food recycler over useing particle replication every day etc

Comment

when your trapped on a ship for a extended period of time im assuming atleast most of them understood the need for personal space to avoid.... SPACE MADNESS that results from being exposed to the same few people and nothing changeing over time with the same enclosed enviornment, even submarines and ocean vessels wouldnt be as bad as a space ship so alone and isolated as to feel that when you die you wont even die on your homeworld with your family etc

Comment

Is it because the SG1 team was in a time dilation situation and circumstance, and that they couldn't use any Naquadah, to create a bomb, that could create a phased space dimension in Space to let the particle beam weapon from the Ori pass through the SG1 ship(Atari/humans) so that the ship would not be in piece and the people would have died?

Comment

I don't know if anyone is looking at this thread at all...but I can't read through 106 pages of the thread and I just did a rewatch. Have we determined why Vala was weeping in Daniels arms during the episode???

Comment

Originally posted by Ilana View Post
                I don't know if anyone is looking at this thread at all...but I can't read through 106 pages of the thread and I just did a rewatch. Have we determined why Vala was weeping in Daniels arms during the episode???
                It was intentionally left for viewers to come to their own conclusions. One popular explanation is that it was simply related to the stress of being trapped on the ship and we were seeing a moment between them where it was particularly hard for Vala. Another is that she had a miscarriage.

Years ago, people made posts claiming that they asked people from the show at conventions. They relayed that the latter was what the writers were trying to imply, but they were also told that it was meant to be ambiguous so it can mean what you want it to. I'm not aware of this being repeated in documented interviews, though that doesn't mean that it hasn't been.

Comment

Really good episode besides the suicide of the Asgard which I did not like one bit of.

Comment

Yeah, the suicide of that Asgard was a bummer. I think the writers just got tired of them, and wanted to make humans the ultimate underdogs, so they got rid of the only ally the humans had that were worth anything.

Actually, over the course of the series, they got rid of all of the human's allies.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Maybe that was their Ragnarok event, but the Asgard can be very much alive if it was just an act to test the Tauri. Anything happen in a scifi and in an alternate reality.
                      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

When FutureTeal'c has gone back in time what has happened with the previous Teal'c? I believe this is a major plothole because even if their accident has created a new reality the other Teal'c should have not disappeared or something like that.

Comment

He didn't go back in time, he stayed in the time he was in while time reversed for everybody and everything in a localized field around him. Essentially, they created a time reversal field that existed on every part of the ship and nearby area of space save the area Teal'c was in. Since he was not in the time reversal field, Teal'c was not present to rewind like the rest of them, so everyone rewound as if he was not there.

Imagine being in a dome shaped time dilation field the size of a standard home. You throw a ball to the barrier between the slowed time you're in and the normal time that exists outside the field. After the ball passes into normal time you reverse time within the confines of the field. As the ball is outside of the field, it would not reverse with everything else as the field has no means by which to act on objects that exist outside of it. For a second ball to exist, the field would have to actively create one at the moment when the "first" ball left the field since time is being reversed in a localized area and not jumping back to an earlier point in time everywhere in the universe. At least, that's the logical of "Unending." Another fictional story could do things differently.

CARTER
                          We're talking about reversing time within the field. Everything: our age, our memories, will be undone.

CARTER
                          Unless we can exclude someone from the field who can steer events in another direction.

All of this happened within the universe they were in; no new reality was created. Sam made it clear that they could only reverse time to the point they activated the time dilation field. To do otherwise would create a paradox:

CARTER
                          Only to the point where the time dilation field was created. We can't reverse time for the entire universe. If we go back any further than that, we are outside of normal time-space again and we create a paradox that the technology couldn't handle.

However, what we actually see on screen is a little problematic as Teal'c appears to grab Sam's hand before she can activate the time dilation field. In reality, he should have appeared right after she did so and told her to quickly deactivate it before the Ori beam got too close to dodge.

Comment

Thanks for the long answer. I am still not convinced why should there not be two Teal'c at the same time. The old one has gone back to create a new timeline for himself, but it doesn't mean the other Teal'c should disappear.

Stargate was famous of abusing other realities or time lines just it feels like cheating to duplicate items (or person) this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              Thanks for the long answer. I am still not convinced why should there not be two Teal'c at the same time. The old one has gone back to create a new timeline for himself, but it doesn't mean the other Teal'c should disappear.

Stargate was famous of abusing other realities or time lines just it feels like cheating to duplicate items (or person) this way.
                              Yes, but usually people in Stargate jump to a different point in time. In this instance, they rewound time in a localized field. You said again that Teal'c went back to create a new timeline, but that didn't happen. Teal'c stayed in the time he was, while the ship and the rest of the crew rewound around him.

You have the time dilation field where time advanced 50 years and then you have the rest of the universe where only fractions of a second passed. Teal'c stayed in time with the rest of the universe, while Carter, Daniel, Vala, Laundry, and the ship literally retraced every action they made for the past 50 years until they were back to the point where the field was activated.

You can think of it like a toy train that travels the length of a track. When it reaches the end, you detach one of the cars, set it aside, and then send the train in reverse until it's back where it started. As you've set one car aside it doesn't go back with the rest of the train. That's what they did with Teal'c.

Comment

Working...
                              X