No announcement yet.

Line In The Sand (1012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, after 13 years. I enjoyed this episode, and thought it was good in the pairing of Vala/Tomin and Sam /Cam. It's good to see us actually fighting back the Ori and coming to terms with them, and also I liked how the cruelty of the Ori was shown. They murdered villagers without a second thought. I would have liked to show Adria ordering this and smiling...some of you think she's so 'cool.' The use of slipping into another dimension, and its drawbacks, was a good plot, and the need to get it in the field shows Earth's desperation.
    The Ori seem to be competent soldiers, but they're not really fighting a first class enemy. Imagine a platoon of marines, and Earth could find a way to get past the damned shields. Sam, get cracking on this.
    Tomin was a strong character here, and his interaction with Vala was strong and compelling, as was Cam and Sam. He's such a strong character, and his urgency came through. i think when Cam has a good scene and lines, he's better then RDA in intensity. Also, it was re-emphasized the sacrifices of the team for the greater good...both in Cam and Vala. He is devout, but has second thoughts. Remember he was crippled and an outsider anyway, and so can be approached by Vala. She was gutsy, thoughtful, and caring in her standing up to him. Good scenes. As for Tomin staying back...kind of dumb, but the Ori are his world. He's a true believer, in that he worships the word, not power. If he lives, he might be a good Martin Luther.
    The conflict of the villagers was good. They fought, but lost, and one wanted to join the Ori. Traitor? But we see the genuine menace the Ori are.
    Also, liked the observation about candles on Ori ships, like torches in the Gou'ald. The Ori also like blue, don't they? A cold color.
    My complaints? The wrap-up was very fast. We never got to see exactly how 'we' won. Also, everyone is right about that village. They get a lot of mileage out of it, but...budget, budget, budget.
    I also think the village leader looked out of place. This is a semi-medieval world, and we have a shaven headed black woman leading them? Her clothes weren't like theirs. It reminds me of the Soudan, who are this oriental culture and fighting, but blacks seem to have taken it over. When I watch this, I think 'All hallowed be the Ori' should be added with 'all hallowed be PC.'
    I was pleasantly surprised at this episode. It had meat.

Comment

One last thought: I didn't like the ending with the cookies. They could have had a much better wrap-up and reflection with Cam and Sam. For such strong characters and this intense experience, the writing could have been better. It seems like the production can't resist a dumb joke instead of a strong finish.

Comment

This episode is on Comet TV this evening. Just started.

There's the scene where Genera Landry is trying to talk Sam into trying out the invisibility device on a village that has been threatened by the Ori. Colonel Reynolds is sitting next to her and watching her as she tries to talk Landry out of it. Landry finally says there's a small window of time to get it done and asks if she can do it in that time. She starts to say no, when Vala pipes up and says it can be done. Sam looks kind of upset. Reynolds has been sitting there watching this and has a kind of smirk on his face about. Methinks he's kind of gloating. It was kind of cute and funny.

Comment

Working...
        X