This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be an ironically silly question

WHY in all Merlins wisdom of foreseeing an ori threat did he have an ancient long range communication device that could connect to the Ori Galaxy among his possesions. did he not foresee someone finding it and using it and the Ori coming to learn of the existence of the MilkyWay Galaxy? seems to me he undid all his work by keeping that technology.
    Spoiler:
    sigpic

Well, he didn't create it and he didn't want anyone else to find it, so of course he would hide it among many hidden things guarded by one test that was easy and by another that required knowledge of the Ancient language. No problem.Besides, only Ancients knew their language at the time.
    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
      Well, he didn't create it and he didn't want anyone else to find it, so of course he would hide it among many hidden things guarded by one test that was easy and by another that required knowledge of the Ancient language. No problem.Besides, only Ancients knew their language at the time.
      Really, so how did Merlin communicate with Arthur? Hand signals?

Comment

I think it was something the Alterrans brought with them after they fled their home galaxy 50+ million years ago. Maybe they wanted to use it a good while doen the line to keep tabs on the Ori & see what they were doing & what they had become in all that time etc.

However not putting a warning sign or instruction manual on the thing was stupid. Not to mentiopn when he wrote the book. Why not put exactly why they had fled their home galaxy. Hence DJ would not have originally used it.

It does seem incredibly stupid to see that they would become a threat eventually, so descend to human form, create a weapon capable of killing them all when the time came. Entrusted all his important stuff to Arthur & his knights. Then put the device in the underground cavern with all that treasure. Simply leaving it for however blindly came across it to pickup a stone then place it in the machine. Then the Ori detect the newcomers to their galaxy & send their followers to this new place to convert or wipe it out. Considering he was the one who detected their threat & built a weapon to stop them...Talk about irony!

Comment

LOL

but he could have destroyed it.
          Spoiler:
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by J_B View Post

However not putting a warning sign or instruction manual on the thing was stupid. Not to mentiopn when he wrote the book. Why not put exactly why they had fled their home galaxy. Hence DJ would not have originally used it.
            Not as stupid as that statement, Jesus Christ...

It does seem incredibly stupid to see that they would become a threat eventually, so descend to human form, create a weapon capable of killing them all when the time came. Entrusted all his important stuff to Arthur & his knights. Then put the device in the underground cavern with all that treasure. Simply leaving it for however blindly came across it to pickup a stone then place it in the machine. Then the Ori detect the newcomers to their galaxy & send their followers to this new place to convert or wipe it out. Considering he was the one who detected their threat & built a weapon to stop them...Talk about irony!
            The stones weren't with it, we just happened to of found them a while ago.

Seriously, as if ANYONE would of predicted what was going to happen, a little bit of common sense goes a long way...

Comment

Originally posted by The Orion View Post
              WHY in all Merlins wisdom of foreseeing an ori threat did he have an ancient long range communication device that could connect to the Ori Galaxy among his possesions. did he not foresee someone finding it and using it and the Ori coming to learn of the existence of the MilkyWay Galaxy? seems to me he undid all his work by keeping that technology.
              Good question.

And I'd like to know something else: What was that tablet that Vala had telling the location of Avalon? Where did she get it? (Yes, I'm sure she stole it, but from whom?) And who wrote it in the first place, and for what purpose?

Oh, and here's something else: If the Others could hide the Milky Way Galaxy from the Ori, then why would Merlin think he needed to make a weapon at all?

And who were the Knights of the Round Table really? They were evidently the ones whom Merlin was expecting. Was the tablet written for them? Did Merlin intend for them to contact the Ori home galaxy? Were they already in possession of the stones? What happened to them? And where is King Arthur?

Comment

Not as stupid as that statement, Jesus Christ...
                What's so stupid about that statment Mr Christ!

Did he not write a FUC#ING book detailing the Alterrans also left in the cavern.

Did he not detect the Ori threat & Descend into human form. Move into another dimension to create the weapon. Put traps in the cavern, holographic knights to protect it. What galaxy did the comm device tap into. So how on Earth could it not have been predicted that someone would eventually find it & dial home. It's not like it had a dozen dial codes embedded into it. It only took you to the one place, that contained the one race that made him kak his pants when he was ascended. So if you really are that worried about them, you don't leave an intergalaxtic phone lying there for any moron that found Avalon to come along & dial home. Thus aleeting the Ori to them & their new galaxy...Sheeesh!

Then leave the one thing that would show the Ori the way to this new place, that he was based in & tried to protect. Leaving it lying there with no mention of it's functions in the book or anything to give the people who find it a warning as to what it does & the danger it could bring upon them. Of course not, that's just stupid. Actually bob, the only thing stooopid about anything said here would be your ranting loony post!

The stones weren't with it, we just happened to of found them a while ago.

Seriously, as if ANYONE would of predicted what was going to happen, a little bit of common sense goes a long way...
                Wasn't that convenient, the fact that they found one on another planet P3R-233, then Barber Joe with the other that was originally found in Egypt. All a long way from Avalon, don't ya think.

Predicted what was going to happen, Didn't Merlin PREDICT that the Ori would be a threat eventually. Didn't he build a weapon to kill them. Wasn't it in fact he who was directly responsible for bringing the Ori to this galaxy by leaving it lying there with nothing as to what it does. He wrote a book about the Alterrans, left instructions in his device about the weapon. Wrote a tablet with an Ancient cipher leading to Avalon. As well as many other things in places like 'Camelot'. However putting in a small paragraph about the dangers of using the comm device to warn the users of the dangers of it. That would be too much.

So if you suspect that they will eventually come, you don't go fuc#ing leaving the one thing that can let them know of the existence of the new galaxy lying around with nothing on what it does, or the threat it would leash upon them if ever used.

Get a grip man!
                Last edited by J_B; 07 January 2007, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Use your head, it wasn't a concious effort to leave certain things lying around or not, it's just the way things happened, we don't leave instruction manuals on eberything we own just incase someone tries to use them after we die do we? Predicting the Ori being a threat is very different to predicting that a group of humans hundreds of years from now who just happened to of found some of those stones on another planet will find your hidden 'base' and use the device to contact people in the Ori galaxy which will result in them finding out about the MW. I mean it's not like Merlin thought one day, ' ooh, how shall I leave everything before I disapear' is it? I mean it's possible, but there's no reason to assume that, infact all evidence points to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by The Orion View Post
                    Well after the Ori split from the Ancients they decided that would keep in touch so they made those. i dont know why merlin stashed it there afterwards.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by .jolinar. View Post
                      Well after the Ori split from the Ancients they decided that would keep in touch so they made those. i dont know why merlin stashed it there afterwards.
                      The Alterans wanted spys in the Ori galaxy to check up on what they were doing and so they needed the device for secret communications and for espionage.
                      sigpic
                      Spoiler:
                      President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                      President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                      Forum Charmer
                      Forum Ambassador
                      Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                      VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                      VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                        The Alterans wanted spys in the Ori galaxy to check up on what they were doing and so they needed the device for secret communications and for espionage.
                        thats what i thought , and they would have used it as warning system so they could know about impending invasion

Comment

How about nostalgia? Not wanting to severe all cponnections with the old galaxy, they kept it up, hoping one day the Orii would be defeated/ come to their senses and they could be communicated/ could communicate and go back home?
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by FORDs Follower View Post
                            thats what i thought , and they would have used it as warning system so they could know about impending invasion
                            Good point
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X