DC vs. Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Ori View Post
    What do you mean set the powers to infinity? Me no understands it!!
    Basically it's a way of saying that a character is so powerful that nothing could possibly be a challenge to them, which usually makes for boring stories.

*cough*superman*cough*

Comment

The thing with the Hulk is that the 'anger' thing means they can make him as strong as he needs to be in any given story. He can be weaker if that's more interesting or he can be literally juggling mountains in another.

It's possibly the worst version of the 'infinte power' syndrome because it cops out of even the dramatic difficulties of having an infinitely powered hero.

Comment

Oh yeh thanks now I understand and the Superman-Hulk characters do come into that!
        I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by Nuallain View Post
          The thing with the Hulk is that the 'anger' thing means they can make him as strong as he needs to be in any given story. He can be weaker if that's more interesting or he can be literally juggling mountains in another.

It's possibly the worst version of the 'infinte power' syndrome because it cops out of even the dramatic difficulties of having an infinitely powered hero.
          Agreed. I've never really been a Hulk fan. But at least they had the sense to "balance" it out by making him an idiot... though being able to beat him at checkers is small comfort when he's trashing your house/city/planet.

Comment

DC cuz of Vertigo.
            We're whalers on the moon,
            We carry a harpoon.
            But there ain't no whales
            So we tell tall tales
            And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Marvel has the better "flagship" character. Spiderman is better than Batman and far better than Superman (who is kind of weak as a single character).
              I like JLA more than the Avengers (I dislike Thor a lot) and think that JLA down to Teen Titans works better than Avengers to Fantastic 4.
              However the fact that the teams work better actually hurts DC in the individual comic books. As an example when Batman got crippled by Bane there was about 50 super heros that were a better choice than Azrael. Of course if one of the Flashes filled in for him then the story would have sucked.
              Also as others have said the Marvel characters seem to have a better written real life than the DC characters.
              The weird backstories for both universes are pretty dumb. But DC's seems slightly less contrived. Like I said I really dislike Thor and I like the various GLs.
              I guess I would say I like DC more. They seem to be a better universe in general. However I buy more Marvel books (Squadron Supreme is Marvel).

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak View Post
                [I] think that JLA down to Teen Titans works better than Avengers to Fantastic 4.
                I don't get what that part means...?

Also, the coolest thing Superman ever did was die.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFlush View Post
                  I don't get what that part means...?

Also, the coolest thing Superman ever did was die.
                  What I mean is that the JSA and Teen Titans are backups or in training for the JLA. The major DC super hero teams are usually working together and have a plan when something major happens.
                  In Marvel the Avengers and X-Men seem at odds a lot of the time. So when everyone has to work together for some reason we have to read some contrived reason.
                  Basicly I like JLA more than the Avengers. Like I said Thor is my most hated major character.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahak View Post
                    In Marvel the Avengers and X-Men seem at odds a lot of the time.
                    That's not really true...

Comment

I don't like the stories of the X-Men and all that Fantastic four stuff, although I do like the Galactus stories!!
                      I HATE SY-FY

Comment

I haven't been reading graphic novels for long- for the most part they're wayyyyy too expensive, but I've found that what I've been reading/waiting to read most are DC/Vertigo titles- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (currently reading), Watchman, V for Vendetta, Sandman. On the Marvel side of things, Marvel 1602, and Astonishing X-Men. In terms of Superheroes/ Super-Heroes- I like the Marvel characters better over all (two of my three favourites). Spiderman, X-Men, and Batman are the ones I'm most interested in.

Of course what I'm most looking forward to in comics at the moment is Dark Horse's Buffy Season Eight.

Comment

although DC have the icons (superman, batman, booster gold etc) marvel seem to be more willing to stretch their characters.
                          1602, marvel zombies, the ultimates line, the earth x trilogy, (to name a few)
                          marvels characters have worn better through time, superman is one of the most boring characters that has ever existed in comics and DC always seems to be playing catch up to marvel in terms of story telling having said that:
                          Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Kingdom Come, Red Son, Crisis on Infinite earths.
                          but what have they done that has been ground breaking recently?
                          so DC has had its moments but the universe is far too insular marvel seems to be in touch with the times not trapped in the past, or at least it feels that way to me.
                          i prefer marvel in the end their stories are just more interesting.

Superman vs Hyperion, that i would like to see.
                          To the Mandatorium!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                            I haven't been reading graphic novels for long- for the most part they're wayyyyy too expensive, but I've found that what I've been reading/waiting to read most are DC/Vertigo titles- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (currently reading), Watchman, V for Vendetta, Sandman. On the Marvel side of things, Marvel 1602, and Astonishing X-Men. In terms of Superheroes/ Super-Heroes- I like the Marvel characters better over all (two of my three favourites). Spiderman, X-Men, and Batman are the ones I'm most interested in.
                            You're in for a treat when you get to Watchmen and 1602. Sandman, DKR and V are also very good. Sounds like you've lined up a very nice reading list. I'd also recommend grabbing each company's big Alex Ross title (If you haven't already): DC's "Kingdom Come", and Marvel's "Marvels", both of which are fantastic. Also, if you're at all a fan of Wolverine, you're definitely going to want to grab "Origin", which will knock your socks off.

Comment

I swear to you they should make more programmes like Smallville version of either DC comics or Marvel, with the graphics they can use nowadays it would be soo cool!
                              I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFlush View Post
                                You're in for a treat when you get to Watchmen and 1602. Sandman, DKR and V are also very good. Sounds like you've lined up a very nice reading list. I'd also recommend grabbing each company's big Alex Ross title (If you haven't already): DC's "Kingdom Come", and Marvel's "Marvels", both of which are fantastic. Also, if you're at all a fan of Wolverine, you're definitely going to want to grab "Origin", which will knock your socks off.
                                I read Watchman- borrowed it a couple months back and absolutly loved it, hope to buy a copy once I've finished the stack I've got from the library, my library actually has a great supply that will keep me busy for awhile- hoping to start 1602 tonight.

Will definitly have to look out for that Wolverine title.

Originally posted by The Ori View Post
                                I swear to you they should make more programmes like Smallville version of either DC comics or Marvel, with the graphics they can use nowadays it would be soo cool!
                                Yes, but with good writing and acting. I was really excited about that show, until I watched it.

Comment

Working...
                                X