Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DC vs. Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Hey guys I wanted to start this thread for us to be able to talk about our favourite characters and all so go ahead let rip.

Mine is obviously The Martian Manhunter, he's got everything!! The fact that he is gonna be on Smallville i'm psyched!
    I HATE SY-FY

Default Re: DC vs. Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Ah, the age old discussion of DC -vs- Marvel.

Well for my part, I've always been a Marvel fan. It just seems to me that they've always had the edge when it comes to really fleshing out a character.

I've been looking at these characters lately and I feel that Marvel characters are although cool, the same in terms of where they have got there powers from like the Power Cosmic and stuff like that, there isn't enuff story to their lives!!
    I HATE SY-FY

I just can't tell the difference really. They're all super heros either way.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Chief Master Sergeant

Well, technically, the DC characters are "Super-Heroes" and the Marvel ones "Superheroes."

They've actually copyrighted each one, respectively.

Wow, I didn't know that!!
    I HATE SY-FY

but id there were to be a battle out of the DC vs. Marvel who would win?
    I HATE SY-FY

Quote Originally Posted by The Ori View Post
    I've been looking at these characters lately and I feel that Marvel characters are although cool, the same in terms of where they have got there powers from like the Power Cosmic and stuff like that, there isn't enuff story to their lives!!
    Actually, I've always found it to be the other way around. Once DC characters become heroes (or whatever) their real lives don't matter so much. Whereas Marvel heroes usually have to balance both (Especially now during the Civil War event).

but [if] there were to be a battle out of the DC vs. Marvel who would win?
    They actually did this years ago. It was a huge event called Marvel vs DC / DC vs Marvel. It was a 4-issue miniseries in which the two universes collided and some heroes were forced to fight for their universe. There were 11 battles, 5 of which were voted on by the public. In the end Marvel won, but since it was a vote, it's not exactly definitive. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs_DC for more details. between the 3rd and 4th issues of the series, they released issues of "Amalgam Comics" which were 1-shots featuring combinations between characters on both sides (Wolverine + Batman = Darkclaw!). It was pretty cool, definitely worth checking out if you can find it in trade or back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigFlush View Post
    Actually, I've always found it to be the other way around. Once DC characters become heroes (or whatever) their real lives don't matter so much. Whereas Marvel heroes usually have to balance both (Especially now during the Civil War event).

They actually did this years ago. It was a huge event called Marvel vs DC / DC vs Marvel. It was a 4-issue miniseries in which the two universes collided and some heroes were forced to fight for their universe. There were 11 battles, 5 of which were voted on by the public. In the end Marvel won, but since it was a vote, it's not exactly definitive. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_vs_DC for more details. between the 3rd and 4th issues of the series, they released issues of "Amalgam Comics" which were 1-shots featuring combinations between characters on both sides (Wolverine + Batman = Darkclaw!). It was pretty cool, definitely worth checking out if you can find it in trade or back issues.
    Thanks man
    I HATE SY-FY

Marvel all the way. They don't set a hero's power to infinity (Hulk is the exception).
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Caboose: They could be worse?
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Master View Post
    Marvel all the way. They don't set a hero's power to infinity (Hulk is the exception).
    I wouldn't even say Hulk's power is set to infinity... Silver Surfer on the other hand... well, let's say he's at infinity minus one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigFlush View Post
    I wouldn't even say Hulk's power is set to infinity... Silver Surfer on the other hand... well, let's say he's at infinity minus one.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about those. Hey, does anyone know if a colored compilation of Civil War will be issued?
    This whole Civil War thing has me kicking myself for not getting Marvel subscriptions. ****
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled Master View Post
    Hey, does anyone know if a colored compilation of Civil War will be issued?
    This whole Civil War thing has me kicking myself for not getting Marvel subscriptions. ****
    Marvel has a habit of releasing pretty much everything in trade format. Civil War should wrap up sometime in February, so my guess would be to look for a trade sometime in the fall (October, November). Whether it will include Frontline, or simply the main Civil War series is another question.

Some of the tie-in series are definitely worth checking out though; Frontline is good, the Wolverine tie-ins were really cool, as were Spider-Man's and some of the New Avengers'.

What do you mean set the powers to infinity? Me no understands it!!
    I HATE SY-FY

The Hulk is stronger and more resilient then most other mortal heroes. But I'm not sure he's the strongest...

Basically it's a way of saying that a character is so powerful that nothing could possibly be a challenge to them, which usually makes for boring stories.

*cough*superman*cough*

Chief Master Sergeant

The thing with the Hulk is that the 'anger' thing means they can make him as strong as he needs to be in any given story. He can be weaker if that's more interesting or he can be literally juggling mountains in another.

It's possibly the worst version of the 'infinte power' syndrome because it cops out of even the dramatic difficulties of having an infinitely powered hero.

Oh yeh thanks now I understand and the Superman-Hulk characters do come into that!
    I HATE SY-FY

Quote Originally Posted by Nuallain View Post
    The thing with the Hulk is that the 'anger' thing means they can make him as strong as he needs to be in any given story. He can be weaker if that's more interesting or he can be literally juggling mountains in another.

It's possibly the worst version of the 'infinte power' syndrome because it cops out of even the dramatic difficulties of having an infinitely powered hero.
    Agreed. I've never really been a Hulk fan. But at least they had the sense to "balance" it out by making him an idiot... though being able to beat him at checkers is small comfort when he's trashing your house/city/planet.

Second Lieutenant

DC cuz of Vertigo.
    We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon.
    But there ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune.