X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Samanda Story

Thanks to scifithinker for the idea

Here's a thread for folks to discuss any plot points for the round robin we're writing.

first, the line up....ooh, and it's friday so the list is now complete. No more writers can join unless someone bows out.

Julia - Posted
    Denise/Skydiver - Posted
    Shimmering Star - Posted
    Mandy - Posted
    Tagger & Denise - Posted
    Strix Varia - Posted
    Oober - Posted
    scifi thinker - Posted
    chopin - Posted
    gategal - Posted
    reganX - Posted
    annsgc-fan & JanSam - Posted
    tracy jane - Posted
    shimmering star - Posted
    deejay Taking a break ((dee))
    scarimor - Posted
    NZBG - annsgc-fan - Posted
    gategirl422- mandy aka megyn&mandy - Posted
    Dancer of Spaz - Posted
    *Myrth - Posted
    *Chelle and RCtjeOn Deck
    *Poz & MG
    *LAD and SCRWriting

julia
    Kamil
    ----

da 'rules' and a link

1. One part/fork cannot exceed 1000 words.
    2. No foul language, of course, and no nc17 stuff.
    3. The story *has to* revolve around Samantha Carter from its beginning
    to the end.
    4. Have fun.

You can reach the Story Stram pages at this address:
    http://www.amandatapping.com/Scripts/StoryStream/

Once your fork is written, please e-mail it as an attachment to [email protected]

Now if folks want to discuss any plot points, feel free to do it here. Let me make it clear, this isn't a thread for 'but i didn't like that part' or 'i didn't like that plot point' or 'you weren't supposed to do that'

Each person writes what she wants to write and no badgering will be allowed.

What this thread is for is things along the line of 'well, when i put that knife in the study, i thought that sam could use it to cut that loaf of bread daniel baked for her' or things like that.

and some plotting if folks want to do it publically

I will update the list in the first post as parts are written

<CENTER>FINAL FIC DEADLINE, MARCH 8TH, STATUS REVIEW MARCH FIRST</CENTER>
    A Phase of Life
    2.94%
    Illusions
    11.76%
    Worlds Apart
    29.41%
    Symbiosis
    29.41%
    Inclusion
    0.00%
    Relative Values
    2.94%
    Connections
    2.94%
    Deception
    0.00%
    Realm of Existence
    20.59%
    Last edited by Skydiver; 06 March 2007, 04:36 AM.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

After spending hours (literally) on the phone with Oober and Suse hashing out plot points, I realized that there are there are so many different perspectives on what could happen next. So what I wanted to know...

What strikes you as significant? What do you think could have caused that awful thing to happen to a member of the team? What neglected plot point is just crying out to be addressed? What is the meaning of life for whomever lives on that planet with the stargate?

No, I won't write my fork of the story the way you would have written, but I'd love the ideas, and I suspect that those who follow me will too. And I'll still be checking out this thread well after my part has been posted.
    Last edited by scifithinker; 06 January 2007, 10:36 AM. Reason: missing letter
    sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
    May we all be so well loved.

Comment

ok, now bear in mind that i've read uber's chapter and also im'd her last night, so i'll put it in spoilers
      Spoiler:

my thought was that we're dealing with multiple aliens. perhaps a youngster that is protecting sam, one that doesn't share its elders' extreme xenophobia - they'd rather kill sg1 out of hand

the little one isn't used to fear, so is exploring this new emotion, not realizing the damage that it's doing to the team

there is also the aspect of the naq in sam and teal'c and it having an effect on them worse than it does jack and daniel since they don't have the naq

there is also the curious angle of teal'c who faces a catch 22. have junior in and go insane or remove junior and keep his wits about him. danged if he does and danged if he doesn't.

but, even if this little one is hiding sg1 - and the litle one might be part of a group, maybe there are several of them that don't share thier society's xenophobia - he/they can't do it forever. and it's a race against time to get them back to the gate and home before they are killed...warring with extreme curiousity about these aliens, that they find fascinating not frightening
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
        ok, now bear in mind that i've read uber's chapter and also im'd her last night, so i'll put it in spoilers
        Spoiler:

my thought was that we're dealing with multiple aliens. perhaps a youngster that is protecting sam, one that doesn't share its elders' extreme xenophobia - they'd rather kill sg1 out of hand

the little one isn't used to fear, so is exploring this new emotion, not realizing the damage that it's doing to the team

there is also the aspect of the naq in sam and teal'c and it having an effect on them worse than it does jack and daniel since they don't have the naq

there is also the curious angle of teal'c who faces a catch 22. have junior in and go insane or remove junior and keep his wits about him. danged if he does and danged if he doesn't.

but, even if this little one is hiding sg1 - and the litle one might be part of a group, maybe there are several of them that don't share thier society's xenophobia - he/they can't do it forever. and it's a race against time to get them back to the gate and home before they are killed...warring with extreme curiousity about these aliens, that they find fascinating not frightening
        Very interesting sky,

I do see the aliens as similar to those from Crystal Skull, I think they may be confused about SG1 because of Teal'c and Sam's naquadah. They may not be so Xenophobic as they are enemies of the Goa'uld.

As to Ooober's part
        Spoiler:
        "The trap" that Sam found herself in, may have been some sort of test, because I don't think a Goa'uld is capable of keeping their emotions in check, and therefore a Goa'uld wouldn't be able to calm their fears or anger to be able to get out of the trap.
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

As for Teal'c, I was sort of thinking that maybe some of the radiation and/or something else on the planet was causing Junior to release some toxins into his system, causing the hallucinations. I didn't want to abandon him running away in terror without a good explanation.

Things I want to know... who or what did dig the tunnel into the pit? Why were they thrown into a pit in the first place (as opposed to a prison cell or being killed outright)? How were they moved by aliens that don't seem to be substantial? Julia set up this whole issue of advanced technology and a forcefield. What's that all about? Ghosts and advanced tech... how do those fit together? Especially given that the village appears to be fairly low-tech.

And where is the Sam-whumping???????

My LJ

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
            Poor Sam!

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Strix varia View Post
              That's what I was wondering after your part Strix
              Last edited by Mandysg1; 06 January 2007, 08:35 AM.
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                Spoiler:

Just to clarify though...some of those major points from what we discussed came from scifithinker. For instance, the angle of using a
                Spoiler:
                younger, childlike entity, that perhaps rescued Sam. That perhaps these aliens wanted to kill Sam because she was snooping about and this child saved her with the
                Spoiler:
                energy netting
                but now she's exactly where at least SOME of the aliens don't want her to be. So this little one or a couple little ones are scared and Sam's feeling that fear too, mixed in with her own very real, and very reasonable fear.
                And then there's Teal'c.
                Spoiler:
                scifithinker suggested that perhaps one of these younger aliens went from Sam to hide with Teal'c because it is scared of what the others will do to him for his interference...and somehow manages to help Teal'c. Calming him. Sustaining him so he can return to the town and get him into the compound where the others are and become a part of the story again, rather than leave him as a vegetable lying on the ground.
                Skydiver asked about the
                Spoiler:
                symbols on the wall how there were eight symbols. Why? Well I was going by the part of the story that said this technology came from far away. What if another galaxy...and these symbols were somehow a gate address? But I didn't want Sam to see gate symbols, that would have been too obvious, and probably would have given her too much hope.
                As for Sam whumping that Strix is asking for, I wanted to whump her psychologically and emotionally and hope that
                Spoiler:
                someone takes the bait, gets her into this facility that some of the aliens don't want her going into but some do...and have her seriously whumped inside.

How does she get inside when she doesn't and can't read the control panel? Ah...well, that part is up to whoever decides to go there.
                Now...as for you, scifithinker, I hope you do what you suggested by guiding Teal'c
                Spoiler:
                back into the story. Especially if you do it in the manner you suggest...because then that would indicate there's a lot more going on besides just a group of nebulous scary aliens freaking them out. There's an agenda...some of these beings being bad and some good. Some want to kill this scourge on their planet and some are too innocent to share in that mindset. That adds more depth to the face of the badguys here.
                Now...quick question...and this idea came from me. *insert cheesy grin*
                Spoiler:
                What if Sam and Teal'c are more affected because of Junior and Jolinar? Either because of the genetic memory the symbiote would have contained or something that Jolinar had passed on but Sam only remembered or senses part of now that she's in the middle of this mess...or is it the naqadah in Junior and in Sam that's causing them to be affected faster than the others?
                Other questions. What's in this facility? What created these tunnels? What do some of the aliens want to prevent them from seeing or is it the opposite...some of them WANT something from the humans and others are too xenophobic and want them gone? What are these beings anyway? Are they part of a race that was made the way they are because of this alien technology and is the team in danger of becoming specters themselves? How will Teal'c, Jack and Daniel end up where Sam is without them
                Spoiler:
                falling down that massive cavern? Are there other ways into it higher up?
                Here are the hopes I had from what I wrote...and I'm spoilering it so that people who don't care don't have to read it: I hoped...
                Spoiler:
                ...that Sam would be alone, left to her own devices for a while. She's lost all her support and it's just her, questioning what she's seeing and whatever scary things she'll encounter on the inside of this compound. I hope she experiences some serious whumpage on the inside...physically/mentally/emotionally...so when she does meet up with the others, she's a mess, as are they. But I hope that she isn't rescued, rather she takes care of herself or even better gets to rescue the others.
                Okay...random rambling over.
                Last edited by Uber; 05 January 2007, 08:23 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

this may be way in left field... and I don't know why this is in spoiler but just in case...

Spoiler:
                  but the ghost...I was thinking the ghosts were only hallucinations...not real ... a insurmountable fear/anxiety that they have to overcome... they have to condition their minds not to react...created by what? I don't know... but it not only affects them all mentally but it also controls these well trained military officers & one time first prime to a system lord, who have been trained to withstand torture, and reduced them to balls of fear. so I was thinking the ghostly figures aren't really there. It's all in their heads... or maybe another foe on the planet is causing them to have these very real hallucinations...
                  Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 06 January 2007, 07:27 AM.

Comment

What did I get myself into!?!

Comment

So, what I'm wondering is...
                      Spoiler:
                      This powerful forcefield tech... very useful, very desirable - something which anyone might want to possess to fortify themselves against their enemies. Is its downside its long-term effects on those in close proximity - particularly those for whom it wasn't designed to be used (if it is stolen, as suggested)? These warriors on guard nearby or within - does it damage them at some elemental level; or transform their physiology so that they become unstable (dimensionally unstable?) Is that why the Jaffa legend describes them as "ghosts"?

Just musings...

Oh yeh, the tunnels...
                      Spoiler:
                      Could they be something prosaic to do with the forcefield? Something to do with its physical structure, or its power generation? An on-going maintenance access for robotic equipment, say, which is atuomatically burrowed and then simply abandoned in turn?
                      scarimor

Comment

I hadn't considered xenophobia as a motivation for these aliens. The question then becomes why they're afraid of other races. I'm also wondering whether they really are the aliens from "Crystal Skull" or if, as Teal'c's legend suggests, they're somehow transformed Goa'uld.

The aliens in "Crystal Skull" were whitish but these are dark. Could there be both?
                        Last edited by scifithinker; 06 January 2007, 10:47 AM.
                        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

When I introduced the muon radiation I was thinking in terms of interdimensional shifts - the "dead" system lord bringing the dead human hosts into his otherly world using a similar technology or method to shift, but not for these aliens to be the 'giants' of CS planet. I spent about 2 hours surfing the mythological sites I have bookmarked hunting for a suitable name for the type of Goa'uld system lord that Julia described and after spending too much time on that, I gave up on naming/developing the Goa'uld and spent a half hour typing up my piece and trying to get it posted that evening to get the story moving along.....

To me (IMOHO), Julia's piece foreshadowed the rest of the story - that tech would factor big later as would this system lord and any plans that he/she/it had. Whump was foreshadowed with the critically injured SG team that returned when SG-1 was supposed to depart. Remember Hammond spends "weeks" regretting his decision to let SG-1 go...

Julia's description of how this planet came to be:
                          Spoiler:
                          “I am uncertain, O’Neill, that it is more than a tale. It is a legend descended from Ra’s slaves, that a System Lord killed by Ra, has spent his eternity plundering other worlds for hosts which he slaughters and raises up to build a ghostly army of warriors to engage Ra in battle once again. This same System Lord takes whatever technology other worlds have and uses it for his own, often leaving these worlds defenceless and dying.”

Teal’c seemed undisturbed by the proverbial wrench he’d thrown in the works. “There is a legend among the Jaffa, that a world exists where great barriers surround the Gate. This world is far across the galaxy, and I have not met anyone who has made the journey, although it is said that a System Lord once did and it is his slaves who have passed the legend down. These barriers are said to dance with light and energy and allow no one access more than a few feet from the gate. If such a technology existed, Major Carter, it is likely that many System Lords would covet it for their own use, to prevent invasion by others of their kind. I believe that this technology is not from this world that you see but plundered from another, far away. I believe that the world you see may be populated by what you call ghosts. The ghosts seeded by the dead System Lord.”

Her last paragraph:
                          Sometimes though, fate can play a rough hand, and as SG-1 stood awaiting departure, an unexpected incoming wormhole threw the gateroom into complete turmoil. Technicians expecting to prepare a team for a departure found themselves fielding incoming traffic. In a defining moment which, looking back, Daniel described as “the chaos theory in action”, the unscheduled arrival of SG-3 with two critically injured team members dragged Hammond’s attention away from O’Neill. As he tried to juggle O’Neill’s impatience with potentially missing their departure time, with the need to debrief SG-3 as soon as possible, Hammond made one decision he spent weeks regretting. He asked O’Neill if he felt confident that Teal’c was being more than a little prone to childhood ghost stories, and when faced with an itchy O’Neill saying that he did, he gave SG-1 a go immediately. Fate is a cruel woman. She had her targets in sight and her hand outstretched beckoning them in. SG-1 stepped through the gate and into their worst nightmare.

The dead system lord who created this would still be in the picture somewhere...
                          Maybe he's not dead... Maybe he's half-ascended... Maybe he's enjoying being an invisible god who loves scaring the you-know-what out of his visiting captives that he manages to lure to this seemingly idyllic planet before he kills them to add to his growing ghost army.....
                          He'd definitely want to be in control and nearby to make sure no other Goa'uld took this technology.
                          If the story is early enough in the SG series, then he may be secluded enough that he has no idea Ra is dead or the threat the Tau'ri and SG-1 pose these days, right?
                          Are there any living, breathing humans left hiding on this planet? (i.e. maybe these were the tunnel builders - maybe it's the only way they can escape being "found out" by the SL's dead army and stay undead...)

Just some questions and rambles....
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                            When I introduced the muon radiation I was thinking in terms of interdimensional shifts - the "dead" system lord bringing the dead human hosts into his otherly world using a similar technology or method to shift, but not for these aliens to be the 'giants' of CS planet. I spent about 2 hours surfing the mythological sites I have bookmarked hunting for a suitable name for the type of Goa'uld system lord that Julia described and after spending too much time on that, I gave up on naming/developing the Goa'uld and spent a half hour typing up my piece and trying to get it posted that evening to get the story moving along.....

To me (IMOHO), Julia's piece foreshadowed the rest of the story - that tech would factor big later as would this system lord and any plans that he/she/it had. Whump was foreshadowed with the critically injured SG team that returned when SG-1 was supposed to depart. Remember Hammond spends "weeks" regretting his decision to let SG-1 go...

Julia's description of how this planet came to be:
                            Spoiler:
                            “I am uncertain, O’Neill, that it is more than a tale. It is a legend descended from Ra’s slaves, that a System Lord killed by Ra, has spent his eternity plundering other worlds for hosts which he slaughters and raises up to build a ghostly army of warriors to engage Ra in battle once again. This same System Lord takes whatever technology other worlds have and uses it for his own, often leaving these worlds defenceless and dying.”

Teal’c seemed undisturbed by the proverbial wrench he’d thrown in the works. “There is a legend among the Jaffa, that a world exists where great barriers surround the Gate. This world is far across the galaxy, and I have not met anyone who has made the journey, although it is said that a System Lord once did and it is his slaves who have passed the legend down. These barriers are said to dance with light and energy and allow no one access more than a few feet from the gate. If such a technology existed, Major Carter, it is likely that many System Lords would covet it for their own use, to prevent invasion by others of their kind. I believe that this technology is not from this world that you see but plundered from another, far away. I believe that the world you see may be populated by what you call ghosts. The ghosts seeded by the dead System Lord.”

Her last paragraph:
                            Sometimes though, fate can play a rough hand, and as SG-1 stood awaiting departure, an unexpected incoming wormhole threw the gateroom into complete turmoil. Technicians expecting to prepare a team for a departure found themselves fielding incoming traffic. In a defining moment which, looking back, Daniel described as “the chaos theory in action”, the unscheduled arrival of SG-3 with two critically injured team members dragged Hammond’s attention away from O’Neill. As he tried to juggle O’Neill’s impatience with potentially missing their departure time, with the need to debrief SG-3 as soon as possible, Hammond made one decision he spent weeks regretting. He asked O’Neill if he felt confident that Teal’c was being more than a little prone to childhood ghost stories, and when faced with an itchy O’Neill saying that he did, he gave SG-1 a go immediately. Fate is a cruel woman. She had her targets in sight and her hand outstretched beckoning them in. SG-1 stepped through the gate and into their worst nightmare.

The dead system lord who created this would still be in the picture somewhere...
                            Maybe he's not dead... Maybe he's half-ascended... Maybe he's enjoying being an invisible god who loves scaring the you-know-what out of his visiting captives that he manages to lure to this seemingly idyllic planet before he kills them to add to his growing ghost army.....
                            He'd definitely want to be in control and nearby to make sure no other Goa'uld took this technology.
                            If the story is early enough in the SG series, then he may be secluded enough that he has no idea Ra is dead or the threat the Tau'ri and SG-1 pose these days, right?
                            Are there any living, breathing humans left hiding on this planet? (i.e. maybe these were the tunnel builders - maybe it's the only way they can escape being "found out" by the SL's dead army and stay undead...)

Just some questions and rambles....

Excellent recap and great ideas all around from everyone! I think I'll pop an aspirin or two and see you all in the morning ...

Spoiler:
                            My own projection was connecting the ghosts from CS directly to this planet's inhabitants but I have not yet read Oobs or scifithinker's chapters ... and the plot may have twisted in another direction ... just sayin' ... to be continued and thunk out.

Maybe I'll drink some wine instead of popping two aspirin.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                              It is a legend descended from Ra’s slaves, that a System Lord killed by Ra, has spent his eternity plundering other worlds for hosts which he slaughters and raises up to build a ghostly army of warriors to engage Ra in battle once again. This same System Lord takes whatever technology other worlds have and uses it for his own, often leaving these worlds defenceless and dying.”

I believe that this technology is not from this world that you see but plundered from another, far away. I believe that the world you see may be populated by what you call ghosts. The ghosts seeded by the dead System Lord.”
                              Just literally leaping in and then rushing out. Forgive the speed. Things are hectic. I love what everyone is doing with this story btw.

If this helps at all:-
                              The intention (in my mind) was that the legend which descended from Ra's slaves was seeded by Ra many years before. His intention was to prevent or "put off" people from travelling to the planet ruled by a rival and very ancient System Lord. Preventing "new blood" travelling to this world would put a halt to his enemy gaining more slaves and followers and so halt his formation of a battle force. If you were told travel to a planet would equal your transformation into a ghostly warrior you would think twice about going. The technology was definitely stolen by the rival System Lord from worlds further away and he possesses other technology which he used to plunder planets and basically turned them into dead worlds having removed their population as his slaves (followers). Unlike other System Lords, this one only takes suitable slaves back to his home world (the planet SG1 are now on) rather than converting populations on other planets. He kills the rest of the population. His desire to keep a battle force steadily growing in secret rather than going out and taking control of other worlds makes him unique. He however does possess an alien technology which, if the other System Lords knew about they would have taken him on in battle already, will finalise his plans and destroy the other System Lords. He's not quite ready yet. He had hoped that most of his rivals would assume him dead. He is unaware that Ra is dead having not had contact with outside the planet for years. The arrival of SG-1 are a huge spanner in the works.
                              Yes there are humans on the planet. Descendants of the slaves he brought in across the centuries who escaped beneath the planet surface and are in hiding. Some are rebels.

I was reluctant to tell you all this, and obviously it is not prescriptive since it was only the set up in my mind for the first part, but since you are all pondering.... The technology he possesses could be tailored to suit whatever you guys plan but it was meant to be fairly devastating and ingenious.

Oh and if it helps, I too researched names and Gods and had in mind this one but again, this is a story stream and you guys are on a roll so go for anything.

"Ammut" - the God who devoured souls and ended the existence of all those it devoured.

Byee...
                              Julia
                              G4
                              To influence the quality of another's day. That is the essence of life.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X