Clear All

Resurfacing (309)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "Resurfacing"

"Resurfacing"
    Ep: 3.09
    Release Date: December 29th, 2006
    Written by Marc Broadbent

Lieutenant Bay'lar returns to Horizon after having been on a mission behind enemy lines on board the Ty'Pran, which's crew he had joined recently. But there's no time for relaxation, as word gets to Bay'lar that his old friend and mentor has gone missing during a mission inside Kih'Andari space.
    Outstanding
    14.29%
    Good
    42.86%
    Fair
    35.71%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    7.14%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

And old enemy resurfaces!

The episode is now available for download. Until it's on the site, just click on the temporary link below:

https://uk.geocities.com/alex_starga...esurfacing.pdf

Note that Stargate: Horizon is now on a brief hiatus until January 25, when we return with "...Shall We Not Revenge?"

Until then, we'll be releasing some special features, including the podcasts for "A Pleasant Little Trip" and "Resurfacing", as well as a little surprise special feature for this week's episode.

Comment

I've got to say, the story was decent, but the dialogue was rather shaky at some points. It felt scripted.

I'm interested to see where you go with the Bentari, though. I suppose that they don't have mental powers, though. Perhaps they want to assimilate Sivea's mental abilities into them?

**1/2

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
        I'm interested to see where you go with the Bentari, though. I suppose that they don't have mental powers, though. Perhaps they want to assimilate Sivea's mental abilities into them?
        You're just too caught up into your own speculations, and firmly believing they're accurate, that you might end up being disapointed when you see where things are really going. And I'd be shocked if we were that predicatble.

I didn't notice that the dialogue was different compared to other episodes. If there'd be a specific example for where you think it sounded off, it would be easier to comment on it.
        Last edited by Alex Rubit; 28 December 2006, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I kinda figured that the similarities between my predictions and the actual story began and ended at the Bentari. You see, I always take into account the large possibility that my speculations are inaccurate - but up until now, I figured that I could rely on your reactions to determine how near or far I was to the truth. I suppose that I've completely misinterpreted you.

I think that the most obvious example that I can site is more or less the entire first page of act 4. It's just a blatant info-dump. These are two people that seem to already know everything that the other knows, so it makes no sense that they'd simply randomly restate all of this information aside from for the sake of the readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
            I kinda figured that the similarities between my predictions and the actual story began and ended at the Bentari. You see, I always take into account the large possibility that my speculations are inaccurate - but up until now, I figured that I could rely on your reactions to determine how near or far I was to the truth. I suppose that I've completely misinterpreted you.
            That seems to be very true.

I think that the most obvious example that I can site is more or less the entire first page of act 4. It's just a blatant info-dump. These are two people that seem to already know everything that the other knows, so it makes no sense that they'd simply randomly restate all of this information aside from for the sake of the readers.
            Well, that happens on TV a lot. It probably wouldn't take too long to come up with a couple of examples -- characters explaining plot points to each other -- from SG-1 and Atlantis or 24 (it happens on all TV shows, but those are some of the few that I'm familiar with as an audience member).

The reason that happens is that on TV (more than feature films) the dialogue drives the story. And sometimes you get to a point, where the purpose of a scene is merely to get from Point A to Point B. It doesn't sound too exciting, but it's a fact. And the reason for that is, more often than not, time constraints. What makes it believable on TV in most cases is quite simply the actors, who'll do a wonderful job when it comes to taking dialogue which is a "blatant info-dump," as you call it, and sell it as seeming natural. And other than that, the trick is to make it seem natural; i.e. one character bringing another character up to speed on some kind of development -- something you find a lot on 24.

In the example that you've brought up, you said they all already knew this, but that's not exactly true. Actually, we don't know how much Tel'vek knows about that (we know he's young and inexperienced, so it's probably not too much), and he merelly says he's heard about that. Sivea and Bay'lar, on the other hand, are two of only few people who've dealt directly with the Bentari in the past. So it's Sivea telling him about what she's experienced first hand with the Bentari, and beyond that it's both of them coming to a conclusion with regard to what the Bentari are doing.

So often it's tricky, because you have to find a way to justify it for credibility, and scenes like that aren't the most exciting ones to write (at least to me personally as I can only speak for myself), but they are a necessity.

That's the world of episodic television writing. Or I should say "virtual episodic telvision writing," which is the same thing, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I though the episode was sort of a let-downer for a mid-season closer, but I'm sure the hiatus closer will be a bit more exiciting. you know - more working with the Ki-th-Andari (?) fighting the bentari to either get out or being rescued (I'm leaning toward a join rescue/breaking free.

As an episode though over all it was good. I thought it had excellent character development.

By the way I just became a member and I must say I love your show.

Blitz_Wakim

Comment

I did not mean mid-season closer i Know that comes later but i meant a hiatus opener

any way sorry for the double post

Blitz_Wakim

Comment

I thought I might have found a few instances of forced dialogue as well, but unfortunately I went to my dad's house without sending in an edited draft (it's stuck at home), so it wasn't as edited as episodes have been in the past.

My apologies, but I'm glad it was enjoyed.
                  Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                  Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                  Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan
                  Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

My apologies, but I'm glad it was enjoyed.
                    If the dialogue really was bad in some places (which I don't believe it was), it would be my fault, which I ask people to keep in mind. The version that you read a couple of weeks ago, by the way, isn't the one that was released. There were a couple of last minute changes that were made.

I actually think the episodes has some of the best scenes of the whole series, especially the ones between Sivea and Bay'lar in the Shuttle. Those are some scenes where I think it's a shame it's not a TV show, because I have a feeling you'd see quite some amazing performances.

I'll also say that Marc did a fantastic job with this episode, especially considering this was his first episode for the series.
                    Last edited by Alex Rubit; 29 December 2006, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz_Wakim View Post
                      As an episode though over all it was good. I thought it had excellent character development.
                      That's actually kind of what it is. Just a regular episode, the first of a two parter. It's not a mid-season finale. At this point we're even considering not even going for a mid season break; after all, just because sci-fi does that, doesn't mean we have to.

By the way I just became a member and I must say I love your show.

Blitz_Wakim
                      Thanks. I'm glad you enjoy it.

Comment

I thought this had some excellent character moments between Sivea and Bay'lar, and we really got some interesting scenes between the two. Since there wasn't all that much action, I really think their scenes made the episode.
                        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                        Stargate Destiny, Fan
                        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Well for the moment I am only about fifteen pages through the episode, and I would like to compliment the writer on a wonder ful exchange between Sivea and Grant in the mess hall. Subtle hints, and things are beginning to look a little more clear on one front.

Comment

One of the best episodes of the season, and indeed the show. But not the best of the best. And it was the best because there was subtle hints, and it was best not for action, or drama, it was best beacuase certain words and hints stuck out for me. The whole but with Tomin, and the welcome to paridis e bit, very Roman, or Persian, I forget exactly which. But definatly Comonwealth from Andromeda.

Liked the Bentari. Although I do have my issues with them. To start off, the Scavenger bit, liked it and all, but, it seems to me that it has been done an awful lot, races that take and use the technology of other races in order to win and get by. I mean that is a reaccuring motif in Sci-Fi, every show has to have its scavengers, that will be a threat. Which reminds me, about their appearence, and how they are introduced, it reminds me of the Magog from Andromeda. And I was wondering is that a coincidence, is it my imagination, or are you basing some aspects of the Bentari off of the Magog.

Also, the book, this is going to be coming a lot more into focus, it is now a matter of life and death for the Vorians to find the good old book. As this war is now defiding them to the larger threat of the Bentari. And they have to unite. Which I think it is where you are going in part two, I imagine a cvombined Vorian/ Kihandari task force to take out the prison complex and rescue the people. But, the Horizon teams need to find the book, now more then ever, because ifc they don't, the Bentari is going to have a feast of unimagined proportions.

Although, there are two elements that the Bentari are forgetting. One is Earth, which we are starting to have a substantial fleet all on our own. And I believe that we might be able to hold off the Bentari until the Vorians aren't so distracted any more. And the second element is the Enoly, which I see two posibilities for this. One: The Bentari will pick a fight with the Enoly in order to adapt and develop the technology from the Enoly to fight the Vorians. Or, the Enoly may nto sit idly by and wacth the Bentari conquer the Vorians, because if this happens and they learn to develop Vorian technology, it would be bad for the Enoly. So I could see an episode in the second half of the season where the Enoly and Vorian fleets join forces very temporarly to bring an end to the Bentari threat, once and for all.

Also, I have had an epiphany, a Eureka moment. Together We Stand, is going to be an episode where we find the book, and the Kih'Andari/Vorians realize that they have to fight together, in order to defeat both of their enemies.

Comment

More bad guys?!

I though it was one of this season's strongest episodes so far. It had some excellent character development, and great scenes between Grant and Sivea, and Sivea and Bay'lar.
                              Looking forward to seeing where you really are going with the Bentari.

(If Marc's episodes for SG: Andromeda are this good - which they ought to be, it's his show! - I'll be very happy... )
                              Last edited by Naonak; 05 January 2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X