This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P Godfather of Soul

One of the all-time great musical performers died early Christmas morning. For those that aren't familiar with James Brown, check out this guy's music. His music and sound was and still is unique today. I had the good fortune to see him perform live a few times over the years, unforgettable and a great time!.

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US singer James Brown, the self-proclaimed "Godfather of Soul," has died at a hospital in the southern city of Atlanta at the age of 73.

US media reported Monday the singer had checked into Emory Crawford Long Hospital with pneumonia late Sunday, but hospital officials contacted early Monday declined to confirm or deny the accounts.

Contacted by AFP, the star's management agency Intrigue Music confirmed the death of one of the country's most influential musicians in the past 50 years.

"He passed away at Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta at 1:45 am (0645 GMT) from congestive heart failure as a result of pneumonia," the Florida office of Intrigue Music said in a brief statement Monday.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones."

Brown began his professional music career in 1953 and achieved fame in the late 1950s and early 1960s after captivating the public by his live performances and a number of recorded hit songs.

The 1960s was the period of Brown's greatest popular success.

Two of his tunes, "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" and "I Got You (I Feel Good)," were top-selling singles for weeks.

His national profile was further boosted by appearances in the films "Ski Party" and the concert film "The T.A.M.I. Show."

In the late 1960s, Look magazine called James Brown "the most important black man in America."

His 1970s hit songs included "It's a New Day," "Brother Rapp," "Get Up (I Feel Like Being A Sex Machine)," and "Super Bad." The album "Sex Machine" was a bestseller.

His success was reaffirmed in 1985, when James Brown performed the title song to Sylvester Stallone's "Rocky IV" movie.

The track, "Living in America," won him the support of younger audiences and went on to win a Grammy award in 1987.

In 1986, together with Steve Winwood, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Alison Moyet, James Brown made the critically acclaimed album "Gravity."

He had a difficult childhood and a lot of trouble with the law.

Brown was born in 1933 in Barnwell, South Carolina, the only son of a gas station attendant.

When he was only four, his parents separated and he grew up in the brothel run by his aunt in Augusta, Georgia.

Brown left school when he was in seventh grade and went to work, picking cotton, shining shoes, washing cars and dishes, and sweeping the floors in several stores.

His first arrest came at age 16, when he took part in an armed robbery and was sentenced to eight to 16 years of hard labor.

He served a short time in a county jail before being transferred to a juvenile work camp where he remained for three years.

In the mid-1970s, he got involved in a radio station bribery scandal, his marriage to Deirdre Jenkins broke up, and his son Teddy died in a car accident.

In 1987, Brown was arrested for drug abuse for the fifth time in 10 months. He was accused by his new wife of assault and battery and was convicted of attempted murder a year later and sent to prison for six years.

But after spending 15 months at the State Park Prison in Columbia, South Carolina, he was moved to a reintegration center, where he produced radio and television advertisements warning against alcohol and drug abuse.

In February 1991, he was released on the condition that he would never drive or possess firearms.

He made a good-faith effort to rebuild his life and career.

In 1993, James Brown released a new album called "Universal James," which contained hit singles "Can't Get Any Harder," "How Long" and "Georgia-Lina."

Another studio album, "I'm Back," featuring the single "Funk On A Roll" came out in 1998.

Brown also appeared at a 2005 live concert in Britain and performed a duet with British pop star Will Young. Later, he did a another duet with rising British soul singer, Joss Stone.

He received a lifetime achievement Grammy Award in 1992.

Brown has been married four times. He and his last wife, backup singer Tommie Raye Hynie, were first married in 2002, then their marriage was annuled, but they remarried in 2004 and had one child together.

Brown had at least five other children from his previous wives.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

R.I.P. Indeed.....He was a one-off.....

Deeds xx
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

I had just read about it awhile ago. Rather sad that. Go in peace, my man.
      sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Us: "RIP James."
          JB: "Haha, that's Mr. Brown to you."

Legend.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69 View Post
            Us: "RIP James."
            JB: "Haha, that's Mr. Brown to you."

Legend.
            A legend indeed brother Anubis.

Like brother Fifth Race, I had the good fortune to see Jame Brown in concert a few times over the years. The first time I saw him perform was at the San Francisco Civic Center (which is called the Bill Graham auditorium now). That concert was very memorable, besides James Brown, Stevie Wonder and Tower of Power performed as well. That was one funkallicious night.

Comment

Working...
            X