This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stargate is the source of all problems

It is. If there were no Stargates, the Goa'uld wouldn't have dominated the galaxy for 5000 years, they'd be stuck in primitive Unases on P3X-888 and never would have gotten off, the Wraith wouldn't be culling worlds so easily if they would have even existed at all because no one would have went to the Iratus bug homeworld, the Ori wouldn't be able to come to Earth.

Don't get me wrong, I love the gate and the show but I'm just throwing this idea out there for thought.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,
    AGT58

The Gou'ald would still be stuck on thier homeworld.

The Wraith, maybe they would be stuck, but we don't know where they got the technology for ships. They could just use hive-ships and move from planet to planet, just a lot slower.

The Ori, I think they would thing of something. If there were no stargates then they would think of a soultion.
    sigpic

Comment

Um, what's your point?

The gate network was built literally millions of years before either the Goa'uld or the Wraith existed. It was built to facilitate the travel of the dominant race in the galaxy, the Ancients.

This is sort of like blaming the Wright Brothers for 9/11. It just doesn't work.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I agree. They could have done the same thing in ships. It just would have taken longer. (And, I suppose, it would have given humans longer to evolve their own civilisation. And to assimilate the technology of the Goa'uld.)

It's kind of like globalization, from Christopher Columbus on -- everything spreads faster -- both the good and the bad. Guns, steel and germs all travel the same routes. And so do conquerors.

Comment

Well, they should have dismantled the gates or destroyed them instead of leaving their stuff around. They supposedly were the most advanced race in the universe, wouldn't they know that something like the gate was begging to be abused at some point?

I think after the whole show(s) are finished totally, Earth should take every gate in the galaxy and bury them or hurdle them into the sun so that nothing like that ever happens again. Of course, I love the show but I'm speaking in terms of practicality.

AGT58

Comment

Well, then you're just interfering in other people's societies. Teyla's people, for example, traded with many peoples through the gate. No gate, no trade.

And every form of technology can be abused somehow, but we still need them.

Comment

'Tis the classic Pandora's box argument that you're using...

But yes, it's like alcohol. I'm sort of taking a Simpsons' quote here, but...

"To Stargate, the cause, and solution, of all of life's problems."

To see a picture of me in the Miss Teen America pageant, click here.

Comment

With the acquisition of new technology, Earth has leapt forward a millenium in a single decade. We now have a new power source -- it could end global warming. We have new medicines and new healing technology -- they could save many people from a life of misery. We've found scores of habitable planets -- overpopulation and depletion of resources need no longer be a problem. Human life is set for improvement on every score, in a way that is sustainable for generations to come.

Closing the gate would needlessly condemn billions to lives of suffering and poverty. The planet stands on the brink of eco-devastation. Trapped on a single planet with limited resources, even if humanity survived, we'd have a very limited future to look forward to.

Hopefully, humans will prove to be more fitting heirs to the Ancients than the Goa'uld were.

Comment

No stargate would've stopped all our enemies in their tracks. Did you ever think of what might happen to everybody else? For instance. The Ancients would have no reason to go to the milky way, therefore never creating the alliance. Earth would never have met the asgard and jack would never have had his head sucked. There would be no ancient tech in Milky way and Earth would also be stuck in the planet while other races slowly create ships.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                    No stargate would've stopped all our enemies in their tracks. Did you ever think of what might happen to everybody else? For instance. The Ancients would have no reason to go to the milky way, therefore never creating the alliance. Earth would never have met the asgard and jack would never have had his head sucked. There would be no ancient tech in Milky way and Earth would also be stuck in the planet while other races slowly create ships.
                    Did the Ancients come to the Milky Way Galaxy by gate or by ship? Someone had to come by ship originally in order to set up a gate to link to.

Other races are going to develop ship technology. Some already have. We can keep our heads down and hope they don't notice us. But the natural order of things is that the weak become the prey of the strong. If Earth is defenseless, we stand a good chance of being enslaved or wiped out by any stronger power. Without the resources and technology to protect ourselves, we cannot control our own destiny.

Personally, I think that hiding will only work so long. We need to master the contemporary technology and learn to live in the galaxy as equals.

Comment

And isn't it true that the Ancients seeded the Milky Way Galaxy with life?

If they hadn't come, we might not even be here!

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret View Post
                        Did the Ancients come to the Milky Way Galaxy by gate or by ship? Someone had to come by ship originally in order to set up a gate to link to.

Other races are going to develop ship technology. Some already have. We can keep our heads down and hope they don't notice us. But the natural order of things is that the weak become the prey of the strong. If Earth is defenseless, we stand a good chance of being enslaved or wiped out by any stronger power. Without the resources and technology to protect ourselves, we cannot control our own destiny.

Personally, I think that hiding will only work so long. We need to master the contemporary technology and learn to live in the galaxy as equals.
                        Well the ancients came to our galaxy by ship but the thing is they wouldnt even think about exploring every other planet in the milky way unless they were building stargates. They wouldnt have made as much interactions as they did with other races. etc.. keeping ur head down doesnt mean we wont be bothered. remember we were enslved by the gouald. yes its because they found our world through the stargate but eventually they would find us after they create some ships, stargate or not. gouald are thousands of years ahead ofus.
                        Originally posted by Margaret View Post
                        And isn't it true that the Ancients seeded the Milky Way Galaxy with life?

If they hadn't come, we might not even be here!
                        proved my point exactly. Stargate is good and bad.

Comment

All technology is both good and bad, but if you come down to it, technology has brought a whole lot of good more then bad I feel.

That's just my view
                          sigpic
                          Spoiler:
                          President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                          President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                          Forum Charmer
                          Forum Ambassador
                          Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                          VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                          VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Well the ancients came to our galaxy by ship but the thing is they wouldnt even think about exploring every other planet in the milky way unless they were building stargates.
                            I think it's the other way around: before you can explore a planet through the gate, someone first has to go to the planet in a ship and put a stargate there.

And as long as you've got a ship there, why not explore the planet first and see if it's the kind of place you'd want to put a gate?

Most gates are located on habitable planets. The Ancients did waste them on places they didn't want to go to.

It's like in America, people first went to new places by foot, or by boat, or by horse and wagon. Later on, they built roads to the places they decided to live.

I think the stargates are like roads that the Ancients built to the places they had decided to live. It made it easy to get back and forth to other places they wanted to go. But they had to go there in ships first, in order to set up the gates.

So if one wanted to keep the Ancients out of the Milky Way, it wouldn't be enough to get rid of the stargates. You'd have to destroy their ship technology as well. All of it, even the ability to build new ships. Basically, you'd have to wipe out their civilizaion and send them back to pre-industrial way of life.

Comment

proved my point exactly. Stargate is good and bad.
                              That is certainly true.

Comment

Working...
                              X