The Runaway Bride (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this just screened in Australia.

I noticed the reference to Mr Saxon... that I completely missed the first time around.

Ooh another thing, having now watched eps 11/12 *spoilers*
    Spoiler:
    in this they say Torchwood was destroyed, blah, blah, blah... but *spoilers*

Jack said that he rebuilt Torchwood in honor of The Doctor. What I want to know is did Jack also set up the other Touchwoods? You know the ones mentioned in Torchwood (the series?) when he is talking to Gwen?

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
      Well this just screened in Australia.

I noticed the reference to Mr Saxon... that I completely missed the first time around.

Ooh another thing, having now watched eps 11/12 *spoilers*
      Spoiler:
      in this they say Torchwood was destroyed, blah, blah, blah... but *spoilers*

Jack said that he rebuilt Torchwood in honor of The Doctor. What I want to know is did Jack also set up the other Touchwoods? You know the ones mentioned in Torchwood (the series?) when he is talking to Gwen?
      Spoiler:
      I wondered that. But i figured that all the torchwoods existed at the same time. however when the london torchwood got destroyed and closed down all of them got damaged by it. at that point Jack took over the cardiff one.

What i want to know is if Jack was part of torchwood before doomsday as well as after. Perhaps he ran the cardiff centre anyway but after doomsday he recreated torchwood as a whole and changed what their goals were.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Speaking of Torchwood, how many hubs are there?

Spoiler:
        Canary Wharf is toast and I remember another one is "missing" and then there's the Cardiff hub and one other run by some cranky old man or something.

My guess is that to all intents and purposes the Cardiff Torchwood is now the central hub. Jack slippd in under the radar and slowly took over, drawing together a rag-tag crew that would be more loyal to him than to the anti-Doctor scripture of the original Torchwood.

Comment

I loved it!!!

Ok, it was over the top, and yes Donna was loud, but that is what made it great.

The Good:

Donna: I like her, and I want to see more of her. (Yes, I know the spoilers). I wouldn't take being beamed out of my wedding well either. She had a reason to yell, and her few soft moments were powerful, such as making the Doctor stop observing the death of the Spider lady and her children. I also like that she isn't a 20 year old with a crush. I liked the Doctor and Rose, even as a couple, but I am glad to see someone that doesn't go weak at the knees for the Doctor on cue.

The Doctor: As always, DT is wonderful. I also liked the tie-in with Rose. This episode picked up right after the Doctor's tears on the Tardis; of course he is still missing her.

The Humor: The episode was hilarious. I was cracking up at several points, and it was a good time all around. The show cannot be all drama all of the time, so this was a great way to start a season (that if the spoilers are true) will likely be fantastic.

The Bad:

The Plastic Aliens: Enough already. I thought they were cheesy and stupid in Rose. I realize these were a slightly different kind, but dummies as villains don't do it for me. I tolerated them in the Christmas Invasion, but they came back. No more. They look dumb and are not scary. Can we move on?

The Spider Lady's voice: I'm not yet sure if it was her lines or her voice but one of them kept destroying the moment for me. Her "the little man is funny" made me cringe. Her makeup was fine (although I hate spiders), but she bothered me. It looks like she won't be back. Good.

Overall . . . 9/10. A great episode that I will rewatch tonight. It's worth losing the sleep.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

The "My children!" scene went on too long and the screamed phrase was repeated a little too often for my tastes, but I did like the ep and I do like Donna. Hopefully she'll have smartened up a bit when next we see her.

What's her accent supposed to be? Other than English, thank you. I didn't notice it first time around but it distracted me once or twice tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
              The Spider Lady's voice: I'm not yet sure if it was her lines or her voice but one of them kept destroying the moment for me. Her "the little man is funny" made me cringe. Her makeup was fine (although I hate spiders), but she bothered me. It looks like she won't be back. Good.
              Her voice was weird for me too.....though I think because it kept reminding me of Nog from Deep Space Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                The "My children!" scene went on too long and the screamed phrase was repeated a little too often for my tastes.
                Yes. I realize that they wanted us to sympathize with the Spider Lady's plight, but given that her children would eat all of us, I can't say that I felt horribly sorry for her (Perhaps because I hate spiders). The Doctor did offer her a peaceful way out first.
                "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

He gives you one chance. If you don't take it, you will pay.

Anyway, I thought the Queen was done by the same actress who played Augra in The Dark Crystal. She wasn't.
                  Things we'd like to see in our favorite scifi...
                  Spoiler:
                  "Ori, meet Wraiths. Wraiths, meet Ori. I'm sure you'll get along famously." ~ any member of SG1.
                  "Priors, meet Cylons. Cylons, Meet Priors. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful theologic discussion." ibid
                  "This is the BattleStar Galactica - please identify yourself."
                  "This is the Earth Vessel Daedelus. Are you lost?"
                  "The WHAT Vessel?" Galactica Actual.

Comment

The spider lady reminded me of the wire, annoying.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

OK it's been shown in America, too.

DT's Doctor is in for a great deal of frustration with Donna. She didn't really do anything but scream and boss him around-- in Martha's first episode
                      Spoiler:
                      she gave him CPR to bring him back to life, and she also operated the x-ray machine

Maybe the Doctor needs someone to make tea?

At the beginning of this thread there are quite a few posts where people say they're glad she's not a companion. Hmmmmmm.
                      "That's what you get for dicking around"--Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

Time will tell. I imagine she's done a fair bit of growing up between then and now (whenever "now" will be).

Frankly I think it's kinda fun to have someone around who argues with the Doctor. It'll make a refreshing change from the lovestruck obedience of Rose and Martha. ...Unless Donna's come down with the same disease they had. *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                          What's her accent supposed to be? Other than English, thank you. I didn't notice it first time around but it distracted me once or twice tonight.
                          Who, Donna's? My geography of Southern UK accents isn't exactly precise but it's a London accent... possibly South London?

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          Her voice was weird for me too.....though I think because it kept reminding me of Nog from Deep Space Nine.
                          Perhaps it's a side effect of talking with those kind of prosthetic teeth in? The Rachnos Queen's teeth were rather Ferengi-like...
                          sigpic

Comment

Donna was supposed to be from Chiswick which is West London (I was actually born there but lived most of my life under the flightpath at Heathrow.) Her accent's not spot on for West London but near as dammit

Comment

That was one damned weird freaky episode that doesn't seem to have been aired in the UK as its not on the BBC website's Doctor Who episode list

Comment

Umm... it was definitely aired in the UK. Don't know how the BBC labels their eps, but this might count as a "Christmas Special" rather than an actual series ep. *shrug* Or you just missed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X