Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: The Runaway Bride (2900)

So aye, this year's Christmas Who was not bad. I didn't think it was quite as good as last year's Christmas special. I was surprised by Catherine Tate's performance. She wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought she would be.

I really liked the Spider Queen. The effects artists did a great job splicing puppetry with a real person. The infant Sun peeking out of the dust and gas in the nebula, and the Rachnoss ship gathering in the floating boulders to form the Earth was very cool indeed. The Tardis shooting off into the sky instead of de-materialising on the spot was unexpected however.

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0san View Post
    Think about the size of the plughole, miles and miles deep it is! Then again, when compared relatively (size of sink vs spiders, vs earth vs raknor, im sure it's relatively the same)

Wouldn't mind if they surivived (they looked hella cool) but if the Doctor says "the last of the raknor" again, i swear im going to loose it
    Y'know, I didn't get that joke, even after saying to my pal, "that looks like water draining down a giant plughole." And he said, "isn't that a bit daft draining the Thames down there? It'll extinguish the Earth's core." Then we came to the conclusion that the water would instantly vaporise when it hit the molten core. Which brings me to ask this: How on earth could the Rachnoss exist/survive in the molten iron core in the first place?

Still, I found it easier to take in than a plate of Brussel Sprouts. Or Torchwood. I don't know exactly what it is that bugs me about Torchwood. Sometimes it is just too painful to watch. I was glad of the light relief that Dr Who brings.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Airman

While this episode was good, it wasnt as good as The Christmas Invasion. The bride, crap already forgot her name was annoying. I was reading some other posts, and it seems she was typecast. Is Catherine Tate really like that in other a lot of her roles?

The CGI was great. The whole Tardis chasing the taxi was brilliant. The creation of Earth was fantastic. The visual effects team is really good at creating a beautiful outer space and space clouds. Way better than anything I've seen in US productions.

I havent seen anything older than season 27, were these Raknor major bad guys in the old series?

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_knight View Post

I havent seen anything older than season 27, were these Raknor major bad guys in the old series?
    First time they've been in the show.

Why does everyone here say "Raknor"? They were the Rachnoss.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Wasn't Raknor a mate of Teal'c's

Quote Originally Posted by IMForeman View Post
    Why does everyone here say "Raknor"? They were the Rachnoss.
    That's what I thought. Glad I'm not the only one.

Ironically, though, I went to see Eragon with my sister and niece today and when the icky things attacker she asked me what they were called and I said, "Raknor?" It was the Raczak (or whatever). Close enough. Poor Rakky, everyone keeps abusing his name.

Well I spelt it right. (With a little help from my friend, google.)

Every time I see "Raknor", my mind flips the k and n to spell Rankor. (The big beastie that Luke fought in Star Wars. (It's really spelt "Rancor", but it sounds the same. )) And the abuse of Poor Rakky continues.

Oh and sometimes substitutes R for Wa...
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Airman

I was just thinking...

At the end of the episode, the Doctor told Donna to be "magnificent". I don't remember if he said it more throughout the episode, but could this be the new "fantastic"? Or has The Doctor used it before?

Thought this was a bit disappointing. The show has always had a family oriented feel to it...but this just seemed a bit more juvenile than normal to me!

I liked the taxi chase scene..that was fun! Got a bit distracted later though 'cos it's supposed to be Xmas time and when they were sat atop the building, you could clearly see lots of leaves on the trees in the distance....Hee! Nitpicky 'R' Us!!

Oh well...the new season looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_knight View Post
    I was just thinking...

At the end of the episode, the Doctor told Donna to be "magnificent". I don't remember if he said it more throughout the episode, but could this be the new "fantastic"? Or has The Doctor used it before?
    the Doctor already has "Thats/You're beatuiful" and "Im sorry, I'm so sorry", he doesnt need another catchphrase IMO
    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by The Signal View Post
    the Doctor already has "Thats/You're beatuiful" and "Im sorry, I'm so sorry", he doesnt need another catchphrase IMO
    What about "Brilliant!"? I remember hearing that quite a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Elinor View Post
    I liked the taxi chase scene..that was fun! Got a bit distracted later though 'cos it's supposed to be Xmas time and when they were sat atop the building, you could clearly see lots of leaves on the trees in the distance....Hee!
    Global warming has kept quite a few leaves on trees in SE England this year. Maybe TRB was set two years from now when winter is confined to two weeks in late January when people notice that the grass hasn't needed mowing this fortnight and vaguely wonder if they have a coat anywhere in the house.

Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
    Tardis shooting off into the sky instead of de-materialising on the spot was unexpected however.
    he does that from time to time, he did this in the old series for no reason.
    Hola

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by The Signal View Post
    He also says things are "Brilliant" alot, especially humanity. And has a very good sense of taste.
    Hola

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Elinor View Post
    Got a bit distracted later though 'cos it's supposed to be Xmas time and when they were sat atop the building, you could clearly see lots of leaves on the trees in the distance....Hee! Nitpicky 'R' Us!![/img]
    Global warming

Where I live, Burlington (or St. Catharines when I'm at uni), Ontario, Canada, we haven't had a big snowfall in three years. Most we've had is a light sprinkling of snow that melts a day or two later. Hell, the trees even had leaves on them into December.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Lieutenant Colonel Jedi_Master_Bra'tac's Avatar
    AU where Extinction and Revolution were released

When reading this please bare in mind I am not a whovian, but what I have seen of the original series is pretty good (I haven't seen that much BTW).

I decided to watch this on BBC Three earlier after deciding there was nothing else on. Considering it was Dr Who and it had Catherine Tate in it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I hate Dr Who (2005) and The Catherine Tate Show, like Little Britain, Catherine Tate is sooooo repetitive, if you've watched one you've watched them all

When watching Catherine Tate
    OMG SHE SAID "AM I BOTHERED?" I didn't see that one coming

And Dr Who (2005), it is partially explained among the spoiler tags.

Normally when I decide to give Dr Who one last chance due there being nothing on, I switch off after a minute due to the crapiness of it, and though this had some of those "OMG this is so crap" moments, like when he was flying the tardis along the motorway, I was too lazy to get up and turn it off, I now have freeview in my room and I was very comfortable.

Catherine Tate's scream at the start was very unconvincing although when her eyes watered and she look totally crestfallen when the black dude was telling her he just used her, made up for it (well almost).

Overall it was mediocre to OK, the "OMG this is so crap" moments weren't as bad as usual except for Catherine Tate's scream.

The preview at the end looked a bit iffy, there was a bit that I swear looked like an alien doing the wraith feeding process, and if it is I will go nuts.

For the end of the teaser
    Spoiler:
    It is a good job the Dalek thing was at the very end because that would have definitely made me turn off, the Daleks are 50% of the reason I hate Dr Who (2005), DO SOMETHING ELSE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!, 30% is the screwdriver and the rest is OTT Aliens, running down corridors and a lot other things

Quote Originally Posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
    So aye, this year's Christmas Who was not bad. I didn't think it was quite as good as last year's Christmas special. I was surprised by Catherine Tate's performance. She wasn't nearly as annoying as I thought she would be.

I really liked the Spider Queen. The effects artists did a great job splicing puppetry with a real person. The infant Sun peeking out of the dust and gas in the nebula, and the Rachnoss ship gathering in the floating boulders to form the Earth was very cool indeed. The Tardis shooting off into the sky instead of de-materialising on the spot was unexpected however.

Y'know, I didn't get that joke, even after saying to my pal, "that looks like water draining down a giant plughole." And he said, "isn't that a bit daft draining the Thames down there? It'll extinguish the Earth's core." Then we came to the conclusion that the water would instantly vaporise when it hit the molten core. Which brings me to ask this: How on earth could the Rachnoss exist/survive in the molten iron core in the first place?

Still, I found it easier to take in than a plate of Brussel Sprouts. Or Torchwood. I don't know exactly what it is that bugs me about Torchwood. Sometimes it is just too painful to watch. I was glad of the light relief that Dr Who brings.
    torchwood bugs all of us...seriously how can you claim its super secret and beyond the government, when everyone seems to know of them....annoying...but still a fun show to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    Global warming has kept quite a few leaves on trees in SE England this year. Maybe TRB was set two years from now when winter is confined to two weeks in late January when people notice that the grass hasn't needed mowing this fortnight and vaguely wonder if they have a coat anywhere in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Global warming

Where I live, Burlington (or St. Catharines when I'm at uni), Ontario, Canada, we haven't had a big snowfall in three years. Most we've had is a light sprinkling of snow that melts a day or two later. Hell, the trees even had leaves on them into December.
    D'oh...see....I should've thought of that!!

Of course, all those alien ships flying around up there and exploding all over the place aren't gonna help Earth's atmosphere much either are they?!!

For all those wondering why Torchwood One didn't do anything during Runnaway Bride...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    According to the Torchwood website, there were 823 members of staff, of which only 27 were known to have survived. In the wake of the "Battle of Canary Wharf", Her Majesty ordered the immediate closure of Torchwood One.