Sgt./Agent Bates/Dean Marshall Discussion/ Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sgt./Agent Bates/Dean Marshall Discussion/ Appreciation

I've been in the hospital and I'm on meds that are making me stupid, but does it seem to any one else that there is a lot of hostility on the part of Bates? I mean, I know he is in charge of security and all, but do they really need all that nastiness? I find him to be a totally unlikeable character. What are the writers thinking? I think all of the poopie stuff should come from outside the team. Like from other planets, from the Wraith etc.I find him to be the most unlikeable person so far on the show.

His attitude and tone of voice wasn't the best no.

Comment

I don't think we're meant to like him, same for Cavanaugh (Polytail guy from "38 Minutes")

Comment

Give him a red shirt that says 'Wraith Food'!

We Know that there has to be friendly casualties and you don't off a star usually.

I wouldn't put money an his longevity!

Comment

Good idea, feed him to the Wraith, and if he's still hungry, give him Halling as dessert

Comment

He's just a two dimensional character we are meant to hate.

Comment

I think hes a Goul'd that slipped in sumhow.
              When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
              I miss you.
              Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

If he didn't appear in Zero Hour it could have been Camulus who took Bates as host

Comment

If Sgt. Wraith Bait is meant to be a recurring character, it would be really nice if he had more than two dimensions. I can understand introducing characters who are supposed to be obnoxious or that we're meant not to like, but there should be SOME degree of sympathy in them or they're just wasting space.

At least when McKay was introduced, he had a bit more depth than just flat-out arrogance and hatred. Maybe he wasn't an incredibly likeable character, but at least he was a "like to hate" character (IMO). With Sgt. Bait and Dr. Ego, I just hate them. Period. No room for growth, no room for questioning, I just hate them. There is nothing enjoyable about the characters and they're so unforgivingly two-dimensional that it's a miracle EITHER of them didn't turn into a flat line when facing the camera.

Atlantis needs full-fledged CHARACTERS, not a few personalities and a bunch of stereotypes. Stereotypes, when played straight and not for laughs, are NOT fun characters to watch. Not for me.

Sgt. Bait's single-minded determination that it was an Athosian and could ONLY be an Athosian may have borne fruit at the end, but blindness on that scale is incredibly dangerous, especially in a security officer.

I sincerely hope that we aren't going to be subjected to an entire season of walking clichès. I'm already sick of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Roatbaum
                    I know he is in charge of security and all, but do they really need all that nastiness? I find him to be a totally unlikeable character. What are the writers thinking? I think all of the poopie stuff should come from outside the team. Like from other planets, from the Wraith etc.I find him to be the most unlikeable person so far on the show.
                    I do believe that, at this point, we are supposed to not like him. It's too early to tell if he is underdeveloped. He's only been in the pilot and then a bigger role in "Suspicion". Besides, I didn't see him as "nasty"...he's the security officer and he was as suspicious as he should have been. Diplomacy isn't everybody's strong point.
                    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                    once done, cannot be undone...
                    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

AKA...It means hes going to die in the next 2-3 esps.
                      When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
                      I miss you.
                      Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

Well here is good news, it isn't just the drugs. He doesn't have any likeable traits at all I don't know why they would do that unless they are planning to make him a fall guy for the Wraith or something.. Who knows. I'm glad so many of you guys agree with me, makes me feel better about the drugs I have to take, I'm still in there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemancmd
                          AKA...It means hes going to die in the next 2-3 esps.
                          Great minds think alike.

Comment

You know, if they keep up this trend of "Characters who are unlikeable jackasses are going to die" thing, the show is going to get very predictible.

SPOILERS for RISING

Sumner was very 2-D and unlikeable, too. You could have taken one of those plastic Army guys and painted him blue for the Air Force and had pretty much the same effect.

Wouldn't death have more impact if it was someone we LIKE? If someone we hate dies, we're more likely to be cheering and that kinda ruins the Dramatic Moment...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              Wouldn't death have more impact if it was someone we LIKE? If someone we hate dies, we're more likely to be cheering and that kinda ruins the Dramatic Moment...
                              There is drama in cheering. Bates isn't irredeemable...neither is Kavanagh. They just have some work to do and maybe that's the point. Maybourne, if you remember, wasn't always such a sweetie.
                              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                              once done, cannot be undone...
                              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                              X