Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...d-weather-dog/

November 26, 2017

Photos: Suji, Akemi

Winter is almost upon us and, while it’s almost impossible to coax my french bulldog, Lulu, outdoors at the mere sight of snow, our senior pug, Suji, loves the frisky weather. I don’t know what it is – maybe the fact that she was, literally, raised in a barn – but she seems impervious to the elements and has no problem with snow. Hell, she loves the stuff – sniffle-snaffling and trotting aboubt, literally punching down the soft powder with her paws until WE have enough, scoop her up and bring her inside. I suspect she may have some Viking blood in her.

Warm AND fashionable.

Rudolph’s substitute.

Not sure whether she looks festive or old world East European ecclesiastical.

Seeing triple. Natural Japan Eats, a farmer’s market favorite for Japanese treats, created these awesome Suji onigiri.

Carbing up for those cold winter months.

Of course, being cosy warm indoors aint so bad either.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...anessa-piazza/

November 27, 2017

Photos: Vanessa Piazza, Ivon Bartok, Emily Andras, Michael Grassi

Over the course of my three years show running Dark Matter, I’ve given shout-outs to the various individuals whose talent and commitment to their craft made it all possible. I’ve referenced the cast, the crew, and the post-production personnel who made coming to work every day such a delight. Chiefest among them was Vanessa Piazza – Executive Producer and all-around troubleshooter – who not only helped set up the series (I honestly don’t think we could have gotten that green light without her), but was an active force throughout the long, often challenging, ultimately rewarding process.

She was by my side throughout early prep (construction of our standing sets, costumes, props, casting), production (in all of the prep meetings for each episode, spearheading negotiations, supervising the on set action), and post-production (weighing in on music, visual effects), identifying and addressing the merest flicker of issues before they could become fires in need of putting out. It would be a disservice to refer to her as my lieutenant. She was my partner and I will be forever in awe of her skills as a producer and her business savvy, and forever grateful for everything she did for me, and for Dark Matter. I honestly don’t think I could have done without her.

As you can probably tell, I’m a big fan – so when the opportunity to partner with her presented itself again, I jumped at the chance. As of today, we’re collaborating on multiple projects (one already announced, the others to come) and I’m looking forward to our next show(s) together. And who knows? Maybe we’ll find a way to reunite with many of the other great people we worked with in our Dark Matter days.

I have a veerrrrry good feeling about this…

Introducing Vanessa Piazza

Women Behind Canadian TV: Vanessa Piazza

Women Behind the Scenes Spotlight: Vanessa Piazza

The Hottest Canadian Film and TV Talent You’ve Never Heard of – But Will
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...playoff-bound/

November 28, 2017

Photos: Snow monkey, fantasy football league, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I think we can all agree that, amidst all this talk about Hollywood and television production and the pitching of various projects, we often lose sight of what’s truly important: fantasy football. Well, I’m pleased to report that following twelve hard-fought weeks in which I lost my #1 draft pick to season-ending injury, had to drop another four draft picks due to underperformance, picked up and dropped and instantly regretted when somebody else picked up Bills tight end Charles Clay, my Snow Monkeys secured their first playoff spot in ages. With one more week to go in the regular season, we’re sitting in 5th place with a record of 7-5, the most points scored, and poised to really make a post-season splash. I mean, look at this team –

Gurley, Kamara, Hyde and Peterson in the backfield. Brees leading the likes of Hopkins, Funchess, Adams, Davis, and Shepard. Doyle and (the oft-injured) Reed at the TE position. And a fearsome Panthers D feasting on opposing offenses. We’re unstoppable!

With the exception of weeks 1, 5, 7, 8, and 10.

Oh, in addition to managing my Snow Monkeys, I also caught two movies: Killing of a Sacred Deer and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. The first boasts a terrific premise and is well-directed with some truly unnerving scenes, but is somewhat undone by a discordant score and awkward dialogue that, at first, lends to the film’s underlying uneasiness but, after all awhile, just gets annoying and borderline comical. The movie ratchets up the suspense in increments, slowly but surely building towards a truly terrifying climax. Still, to fully appreciate this one, you need to throw logic out the window. It’s one of those movies that leaves you stunned – and then, upon further consideration, somewhat dubious. A brilliant performance by Barry Keoghan.

Speaking of brilliant performances, Three Billboards is full of them. Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell blow the doors off the Oscar bus. An incredibly compelling story with wonderful moments of humor – oh, and one unfortunate scene involving a coincidental overheard conversation. Still, highly recommended.

For the rest of the week, it’s lunch, dinner, and in-between meetings. Some sit-downs with a couple of authors. The creative gear-up for next week’s writers’ room. And a phoner with one of the Big Ten regarding a couple of proposed book-to-screen adaptations. The plot thickens…
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ber-27th-2017/

November 29, 2017

Photos: Comic Book Covers

In what has become a weekly Wednesday tradition, here are my favorite comic book covers of this week’s newest releases:

Batman: Creature of the Night #1 (cover art by John Paul Leon)

At the heart of the Batman story is Bruce Wayne, an orphan forever driven by the deaths of his parents and this cover neatly encapsulates the theme of innocence lost, the contrast of light and dark with the young child in the foreground in what I assume is his Halloween outfit, the ominous gunman (who bears a striking resemblance to The Walking Dead’s Norman Reedus BTW) looming large in the background, tragedy set to strike.

Eternity #2 (cover art by Jelena Kevic-Djurdjevic)

As a sucker for creature designs, I can’t help but love this portrait of an other-worldly creature with its horn like protuberances, inhumanly narrow chin, shocking white eyes, and affinity for turtlenecks.

Glow #1 (cover art by Anny Maulina and Dia Ja)

I really like the earthy hues of this post-apocalyptic (?) cover – all browns and beiges, grays, and blues, with a tiny shock of teal in the foreground shirt worn by the youngster staring up at the foreboding tower. I appreciate its elegance.

Heart Throb: Season 2 #5

Now this one is interesting – a classic automobile, its driver his back to us, glimpsed through some opaque filter. A marked contrast to the hard line candy color displays of some of the younger skewing titles.

Lola XOXO: Volume 2 #5 (cover art by Siya Oum)

Syia Oum’s pencil work is sublime, the details of our young protagonist and the curious backdrop elements (the Hollywood sign, the gas mask) telling a tale in a single static shot.

Old Man Logan #31 (cover art by Mukesh Singh)

Probably the most beautiful covers of the week right here. The colors are gorgeous and check out the texturing of the red leather outfit, Logan’s jacket, the details of the hair, the serrated blade.

Renato Jones: Season 2 #5 (cover art by Kaare Kyle Andrews)

A moment of clarity amid the violence as our protagonist draws respite, oversized gun still smoking, bullet holes and blood marking the backdrop.

Skies of Fire #4 (cover art by Pablo Peppino)

I have to give it up to artist who creates a gorgeous circa WWI tableau incorporating six distinctly different characters (seven if you count the dog). Some really nice touches here with the shading, the suggestion of a breeze in the frozen flow of hair.

Beauty #17 (cover art by Jeremy Haun and John Rauch)

You’ll be hard-pressed to find a more beautifully eerie set of covers than the offerings for this unnerving little series, and the latest entry delivers yet another gem. Contrast the gorgeous textures of the dress with the cracked skin and decaying visage of its owner.

Ghost Butterfly (cover art by Martyn Lorbiecki)

This one is foreboding yet borderline whimsical, reminiscent of water color work of Jeff Lemire. Very intriguing.

The Ghost Fleet: The Whole *******ed Thing (cover art by Lauren Affe, Jonah J. Hill, and Daniel Warren Johnson)

Okay, let’s talk composition. Lonely, cowed figure at the bottom surrounded by a sparse emptiness, a veritable avalanche of destruction raining down in a torrent of mud and metal.

Rosalynd (cover art by Stephan Franck)

Often the simplest of covers are the most compelling. Who is this lonely figure with the suitcase? What circumstances have found her in this beguilingly bleak setting?

The Woods vol. 8 (cover art by Michael Dialynas)

Originally, I wanted to cap my selections at single issues, but a few collected editions this week were just too beautiful to overlook. Like this puzzling snapshot of a windswept warrior on his long drop down. He’s falling, not flying, but something about his body language, that open-armed acceptance, seems to suggest he knows exactly what he’s doing.

SAM vol. 1-3 (cover art by Shang)

Either of the covers for these three volumes would rank as my favorite of the week, so I include all three (since, appropriately enough, all three were released today). There’s a wonderful anime feel the proceedings – giant robots, kids, and post-apocalyptic mayhem. Love the design work.

Injection vol. 3 (cover art by Jordie Bellaire and Declan Shalvey)

Another excellent cover in a long line of excellent covers for this series. A convergence of tech and nature, and a foreboding sense of the calm before the storm.
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ter-tweetfest/

November 30, 2017

Photos: Jefferson’s, Lulu, Action Comics #317

Circle the date and tell your Dark Matter and Stargate-loving fans. We’ll be meeting up on twitter to talk about a few of our favorite shows. If you have questions about DM, SG-1, SGA, or SGU, I’ll be online fielding them for the better part of an hour. What Stargate cast-member binge-watched almost 200 episodes of the franchise of the course of a month? What character was the inspiration for Dark Matter‘s resident tech-monkey, FIVE? What was the inspiration for the design of the Mikkei destroyer? Which actor cracked my rib on the very first day of production?

Let’s reminisce. Wednesday, December 6th at 10 pm EDT/7 p.m. PDT.

And just so our international fans don’t feel left out, I’ll be doing another one the week following (date and time to be announced!).

Come join us for a trip down memory lane(s) – and, of course, stay tuned for our secret hashtag!

Looking forward to catching up with everyone!

A lot people in the industry do it for the fame, the awards, the accolades. Others do it for the love of the art. I do it mostly for the whiskey – like, say, this fine bottle of Jefferson’s bourbon sent my way compliments of Dark Matter fan Trev in Victoria. Thanks, buddy.

A thank you as well to Tanja in Germany who sent a package of goodies via post: chocolate-covered marzipans (How’d you know???), art work, and toys for the dog. Pictured above: Lulu french kissing her new reindeer pal.

Finally, while yesterday was new comic book day, today was old comic book day on comixology as more classic titles are digitally released. And so, as a brief follow up to yesterday’s best new covers entry, I give you my favorite classic comic book cover of Thursday, November 30th, 2017:

Action Comics #317 (cover art by George Klein and Kurt Swan)

The rainbow faces of Superman. My favorite is his purple face. Oh, ****! Superman is pissed!
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...g-genre-shows/

December 1, 2017

Videos: Upcoming Genre Shows

There’s a lot to genre programming to look forward to in 2018 (and the end of 2017). Judge Dredd: Mega City One, Umbrella Academy, Myst – to name but a few. And then there are the following intriguing candidates, much closer to a screen near you…

Dark (Netflix)

Premieres today

Counterpart (STARZ)

Premieres January 21st, 2018

Altered Carbon (Netflix)

Premieres 2018

Castle Rock (Hulu)

Premieres 2018

Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams (Amazon)

Premieres 2018

Which ones are you looking forward to?
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ary-with-suji/

December 2, 2017

Videos: Suji

Photos: Suji

Yep. One year ago today we took in a special needs senior. She came with her own wheelchair. She mostly got around by pulling herself by her front legs, dragging her back legs behind her. She was quiet, gentle, and kept to herself.

A lot has changed in twelve months…

Suji arrives in Toronto.

Arriving home to meet the rest of the gang.

Building up those leg muscles with hydrotherapy.

Looking cool at her laser therapy session.

Riding around in her chariot.

Working up those hind leg muscles.

She loves her walks so much that, if 10 a.m. rolls around and we haven’t taken her out, she’ll sit at your feet and bark until you put her tiny socks and booties on.

Surprisingly, she seems to enjoy the cold weather and loves snow. While Lulu needs to be forced to go out, Suji needs to be forced to come back in.

Cantankerous!

Her wardrobe is more expansive than Akemi’s.

Motoring!

She’s settled in quite nicely.

Thanks to the Pacific Pug Rescue for sending her our way!

Follow Suji on instagram: @newoldpugsuji
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-supernatural/

December 3, 2017

We’ve all experienced them at least once in our lives, those inexplicable, unnerving instances that make us wonder whether dark forces are at play, their subtle and sinister hands manipulating our reality from afar. They leave an impression, an indelible mark at the deepest levels of your subconscious, buried away by overwhelming reason, the steadfast grip of sanity, and a fear of the unknown and explained. We all have these stories. This is mine.

It happened so long ago, I can barely remember when, but I do recall it was a quiet night at my childhood home. The plan had been for a group of us to get together and resume play on a gaming campaign interrupted by an early school night, but a storm front had moved in late that day, washing out some of the local roads, making for treacherous driving conditions. A couple of my friends had already called to cancel. The simple fact that I hadn’t heard from the others gave me hope that, perhaps, we would manage to salvage the evening by literally weathering the storm that was battering the area with high winds and a torrential downpour. My parents were out, stranded at my aunt’s place, my sister visiting a classmate, leaving my friend Paul and I alone in the empty house, seated downstairs, waiting.

The lightning flashed and the basement lights flickered. I could sense Paul’s unease, his impatience. It was looking increasingly likely we were going to be rained out. As both our eyes slowly gravitated to the clock ticking past 8:30 p.m., I was suddenly struck with a thought. “Hey. I have an idea.” Without explanation, I got up and disappeared through the door in the back.

Paul followed me, past the washer dryer, and into the garage where I hunkered down at the foot of a mountain of discarded childhood treasures. The garage bulb had burnt out long ago and we hadn’t gotten around to replacing it, so I searched in the darkness until I found what I was looking for, retrieving it from the pile and holding it aloft. “Got it!”. From where he was standing, he couldn’t tell what it was at first but, once we stepped into the light, he realized – and frowned. “Seriously?” In my mind, the circumstances couldn’t have been more perfect.

I don’t know how my sister had ended up with the ouija board and, looking back now, I’d think it would have been something my mother, a minister, would have frowned upon. Then again, she may have simply dismissed it as one of many silly board games along the lines Clue or Sorry which also lay buried, somewhere, in that corner of the garage. Surely, Hasbro’s recommendation of “Ages 8 and up” was enough to forestall any ominous implications. And Paul seemed to be of like mind when, after a roll of his eyes, he acquiesced with a shoulder shrug.

We cleared the table of multi-sided dice and hand-painted figures, and set it up – the faux wooden board with its ornate letters and numbers, eerie images in its four corners: a grimacing sun, a frowning moon, practitioners of the dark arts pictured on lower left and right. At the top, the word OUIJA flanked by the words YES and NO; at the bottom, the word GOODBYE inexplicably, forebodingly, split in two. We sat down and touched our fingers to the heart-shaped plastic diviner, what the instructions referred to as “the planchette”. It was surprisingly warm to the touch. Suddenly, a thunderclap jolted us out of our seats. It was, I thought, as if some supernatural force was warning us off. But I didn’t give voice to my mounting dread and if Paul had similar concerns, he didn’t speak them either.

“What do you want to ask it?”I said.

Paul briefly considered and then, decided: “Who’s going to win the Super Bowl?”

A fair question. As we resumed our positions, the tips of our fingers gently resting on the planchette, I voiced the question aloud as if in so doing, I was communicating directly with the spirits. “Who’s going to win the Super Bowl?”

As we sat and waited, utter silence descended upon us. Strangely, mysteriously, the thunder and rain had stopped. I could almost feel my own heart beating through my chest. The basement lights flickered once again.

Five minutes. Ten minutes. Then, a movement, ever so slight, what at first I suspected to be Paul moving the planchette may well have been my own trembling fingers. I took a breath and refocused. Five minutes. Ten. Fifteen. Another movement, ever so slight. I realized, I was holding my breath. We waited. And then, Paul broke the silence: “Boy, I hope it’s not trying to spell San Francisco Forty-Niners!”

True story.

Okay. Your turn!
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-busy-busy/

December 4, 2017

A reminder to join us this Wednesday, December 6th, at 10/9c for a Dark Matter/Stargate live tweet event in which I’ll be fielding questions and offering insights on my 15 combined years on all four sci-fi productions. Tell your friends!

Well, today was Day #1 of the writer’s room for one of the projects (let’s call it Project A) I’ve been working on. David Ray and I spent the better part of the past month pitching ideas back and forth, rewriting and revising the series overview to the point where we now feel confident moving on to the script stage. He, Alex, Samantha and I will take the next four days to beat out the tease, five acts, and the tag after which I will head off to hammer out an outline – and, eventually, that pilot!

Project B is another something in the works, the adaptation of an upcoming SF novel. I pitched my take via email a couple of weeks back and, last Friday, had a follow-up conversation with the main players. This one looks to start moving quickly in the near year.

Project C is another book to screen adaptation, this one of a pulp classic from the 60’s. I delivered my take last week and anxiously await feedback. I pitched it to my old pal, Alexander Ruemelin, who seemed particularly enamored with the idea. Yep, this one would be all sorts of crazy.

Project D is yet another book to screen adaptation, this one in the horror realm. At this point, just some early conversations with a couple of interested production companies, and some intriguing discussions with the author who I’ve gotten to know over the past two months. I am (and have always been) a big fan.

Speaking of being a big fan of a certain author, there’s this SF heavyweight I’ve admired for years – and now I may finally get the chance to adapt one of this books. I was approached a couple of weeks ago by the head of another production company regarding the possibility. I said yes before I’d even read the book, and was even more emphatic after completing it. This one would be BIG and nothing short of amazing. Let’s call it…Project E.

But wait, there’s more! I’m in early talks to help develop a series based on another sci-fi book. I loved the author’s last novel and the premise to her latest is insanely intriguing. Project F.

Project G would be big to small screen adaptation of a movie (some might call it sci-fi, others horror). I forwarded by vision for the potential series a couple of weeks ago and am still awaiting word. This one is a bit of a long shot as I’m fairly firm on the approach I want to take here.

Of course there’s Masked, the superhero-themed anthology I’ll be pitching in L.A. come January with my producing partner, Vanessa Piazza, along with those other comic book-related prospects, the live-action treatment of that anime series, and a couple of other development gigs. Believe it or not, I even turned down a few projects that I felt weren’t a good fit.

It may seem like a lot but, realistically, in this business, you have to have multiple irons in the fire. Sure things can flounder and fade while long shots have a way of defying the odds. The plan is still to produce one more 5-season show and then retire and live off Suji’s various endorsement deals.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post their spooky stories. I won’t sleep a wink tonight!

Hey, Melissa O’Neil (Dark Matter’s TWO) is auctioning off a couple of her character’s jackets to raise money for local food banks. If you’d care to own a piece of Dark Matter history, check out the auction here: https://www.32auctions.com/TwoJackets
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-project-a/

December 5, 2017

To be perfectly honest, I was looking forward to some time off. Nothing crazy. Maybe a month. Or six. While a lot of my fellow writers start going stir crazy after a few directionless weeks, I have no problem sleeping in, spending time with my girlfriend and the dogs, and reading into the wee hours. And that WAS the plan but, prior to leaving Vancouver, my agent arranged for sit-downs with some of the local production companies. I figured, why not? If nothing else, I would know what I’d be missing.

Anyway, great meetings all, and one in particular in which I was presented with the opportunity to help develop something. I liked the project a lot, but especially liked the people involved – and, at this point in my career, that’s what I’m looking for: interesting projects and good collaborators. As they used to say on Stargate: “LTS” (Life’s Too Short).

And time off, apparently, is even shorter.

So, after reviewing the project and offering my take (and, of course, assuring them I wasn’t THAT crazy), I was hired. David Ray and I spent about a month fleshing out the world, the backstory, the characters, and arcs. We delivered the overview, received some input from the broadcaster and production company, and prepared for the writers’ room.

I elected to bring in local-kid-makes-good Alex Levine, a former script coordinator on Stargate (and practicing lawyer before that!) who ended up making quite a name for himself in his days as a writer and Co-Executive Producer on Orphan Black. Yes, he has an impressive track record. But, more importantly, he has a great head for story and characters.

Which he has proven over the past two days of spinning. He, David, Samantha, and I dedicated Monday to waiting for the white board to arrive broad stroking the major story beats. Then, today, we ate pastries David picked up from the Italian bakery across the street focused on individual character arcs. I figure tomorrow, we’ll finish up the character arcs, then dedicate Thursday and Friday to fleshing out our first episode.

And, once that’s done, it’ll be smooooooth sailing. I’ll write an outline, possibly a revised outline, and then go to script.

Can’t reveal much about this project except to say that it’s a compelling, character-driven SF series chock full of surprises, humor, and warmth. Every sci-fi show I’ve worked on in the past – SG-1, Atlantis, Universe, and Dark Matter – has been, at its heart, about the family.

I have no doubt – you’re gonna love it!
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...mber-6th-2017/

December 6, 2017

Photos: Joe's favorite comic book covers of the week

Join us tonight for a Dark Matter/Stargate tweetfest – 10/9c!

And while you rev up for the big event, check out my favorite comic book covers of the week…

Batman #36 (cover art by Jordie Bellaire)

What a great mid-action shot of two of the biggest badass BFF’s. A celebration of friendship, sure, but look at the grim determination on their faces. These guys mean business.

Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #2 (cover art by Clayton Henry, Mark Morales, and Tomeu Morey)

Pandemonium reigns in this lightning flash snapshot suffused in cool blues and vibrant whites. Dynamic.

Cyborg #19 (cover art by Guy Major, Ivan Nunes, and Cliff Richards)

Man down! Love the composition of this shot, our fallen hero foreground, the ominous antagonist looming large against the background foliage. Also loving the details on Cyborg’s shell, the tattoos, and the splintered scattered remnants.

DC Universe Holiday Special 2017 #1 (cover art by Brad Anderson and Andy Kubert)

Yeah, I’m a sucker for these seasonal one-offs, mainly because it offers us an atypical glimpse at these oft so serious characters. I mean, I get it. Saving the world is grim business. But look at how much fun they’re having. Hell, even Batman is smiling.

Superman #36 (cover art by Patrick Gleason and Dean V. White)

Speaking of atypical, Superman is a character that rarely receives the dark treatment and yet his backstory is one filled with tragedy – the death of his parents, his people, his planet. And this is one of those rare instances where we do see a dark side, though whether its the Superman we know is debatable. He sits, regal, atop a throne, a fiery-eyed calm amid the death and destruction.

Scales & Scoundrels #4 (cover art by Galaad)

Elegant in its simplicity, its off-center framing.

Black Bolt vol. 1 (cover art by Christian Ward)

Black Bolt’s costume is one with the darkness, the vertical bars foreground of his face suggesting he is a prisoner, perhaps of his very persona.

Black Bolt #8 (cover art by Christian Ward)

And one more Christian Ward Black Bolt cover, this one, in contrast, a kaleidoscope of colors, the pinks and purples of the distant horizon lending it an otherworldly feel. Front and center, a grounded, sobering image of our hero kneeling, chained down as he awaits execution. But the eye is drawn to the scintillating flash of the falling blade. A king laid low.

Star Wars: Darth Vader #9 (cover art by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Francesco Mattina)

I’m sure you’ve probably noticed a trend by now: another week, another favored Darth Vader cover. Again, our character is doing what he does best – looking foreboding as hell. The detailing on Vader’s costume, the judicious use of color, the play of light and shadows – excellent.

Dreadful Beauty: Art of Providence (cover art by Jacen Burrows)

A special art book showcasing the talents of artist Jacen Burrows. Beautiful cover.

The Consultant #1 (cover art by Simon Fraser)

A superhero-themed take-off of The Usual Suspects. This one looks like all sorts of fun. The characters convey so much through posture. I already know that guy in the pink, second from left, will be my favorite.

See you all tonight!
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...te-highlights/

December 7, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter

Here are the highlights from last night’s Dark Matter/Stargate (#DarkGate) Q&A! Thanks to Tom Gardiner for the banner!

On my plans for ONE/Derrick Moss…

On my plans to bring some more Stargate alums in as guest stars:

On my big arc plan for Dark Matter season 4:

My plans for exploring the THREE/Android dynamic:

On the mysterious circumstances surrounding the death of Derrick Moss’s wife:

On that dark timeline glimpsed at the end of “All the Time in the World”:

On my plans for FIVE’s sister:

On the mysterious Kryden:

On my plans for SIX:

On my plans for Sarah:

On my immediate plans for an alien-possessed TWO:

More answers to come in next week’s #DarkGate Q&A for international fans (to be announced)!
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-and-trailers/

December 8, 2017

Videos: Alita: Battle Angel trailer, Have A Nice Day trailer, You Were Never Really Here trailer

Photo: Toronto Fan Days Holiday Show

And that’s a wrap on Project A 2017 writers’ room. Over the course of the past five days, we broke the pilot, broad stroked the second episode, bulleted the first episode character arcs, fleshed out the backstory of our aliens, overviewed our five season plan, ate a hell of a lot of breakfast pastries and cookies, and polished off a bottle of delicious Cuban dark rum my buddy Tio sent my way. Thanks to David Ray, Alex Levine, and Samantha Mastai for their veritable whirlwind of ideas. I could barely keep up!

May we have the opportunity to do it all over again (x9!) in the not too distant future.

Now, I’m off to write the outline and, soon after, that pilot script. Some really great character dynamics in this one. Can’t wait for you all to read see it!

Oh, damn. Who’s going? Well, I – for one – will be dropping by to stock up on super villain t-shirts and assorted comic book-related sundries. I will be cosplaying as the protagonist of the anime series Harried Showrunner Kuromi. Keep an eye out!

Well, here’s the trailer for the long-awaited Alita: Battle Angel live-action movie. Hmmm. Gorgeous visuals but I am unconvinced by the decision to animate the Alita character.

Well, this looks weird and interesting. Have A Nice Day

A nailbiter! You Were Never Really Here
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...onto-fan-days/

December 9, 2017

Photo: Joe Mallozzi, Paul Sun-Hyung Lee

Monday, December 11th at 21:30 Greenwich time (That’s 4:30 p.m. EST/1:30 p.m PST for those of you on this side of the pond) I’ll be hitting twitter for #DarkGate, round 2. Over the course of the hour, I’ll be hitting twitter to field Dark Matter and Stargate-related questions from international fans. Circle the date!

Here’s what we covered in the first round Q&A.

“Wearing black underwear makes you old.”

Akemi’s Science Fact(?) of the day.

Every so often, Akemi will impart a nugget of wisdom gleamed from the internet or a Japanese variety show. She’s rarely able to supply actual links to the studies, but corroborating evidence is beside the point. I mean, who has time to read research-based abstracts while the article clothing you are wearing could actually be adding years to your life? According to Akemi (who heard it discussed on Honmadekka TV), your skin cells are affected by the color of your underwear and, apparently, black is a terrible, terrible influence. Whether these effects extend to the whole body or are simply limited to the, uh, below the belt region, Akemi couldn’t say. But in the interest of keeping you all abreast of the very latest in alt. science facts, I thought it best to relay the aforementioned. Do with the information what you will. I, for one, am going underwear shopping tomorrow.

One of the first sights that greeted me as I entered Hall D at the Toronto Fan Days Con was this fellow doing an amazing cosplay of Paul Sun-Hyung Lee’s Kim’s Convenience character as ghostbuster. But then, when he took a second from chatting with some con attendees to glance over at me and smile, “Hey, Joe!”, I realized it WAS Paul Sun-Hyung Lee cosplaying his Kim’s Convenience character as ghostbuster. Love this guy. A great actor and an utter delight to work with. Also, an incredibly accessible, down to earth fellow as evidenced by his interactions with the various fans. He signed programmed, posed for photos, and happily chatted away. Class act.

Akemi and I worked the room and, while we encountered a few Dark Matter fans, we were unsuccessful in tracking down any super villain t-shirts. Looks like I’ll have to wait until Toronto Comic Con in March.
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...w-monkeys-win/

December 10, 2017

Photos: Dark Gate, fantasy football league

As I mentioned yesterday, I’ll be hitting twitter tomorrow for a second round fan Q&A. If you have any Dark Matter and/or Stargate-related questions, feel free to post them. Don’t forget to include the #DarkGate hashtag so I can find you and keep track.

So, when is this happening? Well, @TeamRazaEurope was kind enough to assemble the following graphic:

Brush up on the #DarkGate Round 1 revelations here:

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...te-highlights/

“People who put their hands in their pockets are liars.”

Akemi’s Science Fact(?) of the Day

You can all breathe a sigh of relief. My Snow Monkeys are well on their way to securing a win in the first round of fantasy football league play. It looked iffy early on but thanks to big-time performances from Todd Gurley, DeAndre Hopkins, and Davante Adams, we’re looking ahead to a semi-final match-up against The Goats (who we beat by 35 points back in week 12).

Alright! Cream soda and Chicago Mix for everybody!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X