Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
    January 19 2007

NowIWillDestroyAbydos writes: “Do any of the cast and crew (of SG-1 and SGA, and including yourself) have any of the current gen gaming consoles (Wii, X-Box 360, and/or PS3)?”

Answer: I believe Martin Gero owns an X-Box. Rob owns both the X-Box and the PS2. Paul and I are still on PS2, waiting out the PS3. I tried to buy Fondy a Wii this past Christmas but, alas, they were all sold out.
    For the record, that's me who asked the question.
    sigpic

Comment

[Jack]Ya think?[/Jack]

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
        Anonymous writes: "How long - on average - would you say it takes to completely spin/break an episode, and after that, to write it? How much description do you usually write into your episodes, and how much do you leave to the director/VFX people? Do you use 'cut to:' in your writing, or do you just go from one scene to the next without that?"

It will take the better part of a day to break a story, about two weeks to write a first draft, and (hopefully) only a couple of days to write a second draft. I only write as much description as necessary and leave the directors as much leeway as possible. No "cut to's" but I will use the occasional "dissolve to" and "wormhole transition to" in order to suggest the passage of time.
        If NowIwillDestroyAbydos will go on the record for his question, then for the record, I asked this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
          If NowIwillDestroyAbydos will go on the record for his question, then for the record, I asked this one.
          See everyone's being honest. And it's Abydos, it sav..... eh, you know the drill.
          sigpic

Comment

I wonder what I would want to ask him. Perhaps the whereabouts of Lt. Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
              I wonder what I would want to ask him. Perhaps the whereabouts of Lt. Ford.
              If you asked that, the most you might get back is 'who knows, he could appear again' type comment. They can't predict if they'll bring back a character or not, although I think we'll never see Ford again.

Comment

Thank you sgeureka for posting the excepts.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

January 20 2007

Rob again played the role of affable host today, inviting us all over for the big football doubleheader.
                  [...]
                  Anonymous writes: “How about some more clues about "the greatest final scene in Stargate history", as Paul Mullie describes it in his TV Zone interview? I believe its from your episode, Family Ties.”

Answer: Can’t say much about the scene in question. Suffice it to say, the episode has a few “topical references”. When I wrote the scene, I assumed someone would insist I lose it. As it turned out, nobody objected (because, I suspect, they were too busy to notice and figured someone else would get around to objecting for them). Can’t say more.

January 22 2007

[Blog entry about the script writing process and producers]

January 23 2007

Specifically, I’d like to say sorry to Martin Gero for stating he owned an X-Box game console. In fact, Martin owns BOTH a Wii AND an X-Box game console.
                  [...]
                  Well, I feel better already. Of course, it could have something to do with the final mix we watched today. First Strike, the Atlantis season three finale, is one of the biggest and most ambitious episodes we’ve ever produced. A big congratulations to everyone involved, especially our visual effects team, director Martin Wood, and pretty-boy Martin Gero.

Some of you have complained about the recent dearth of food pics. To be fair, it has been two long food photo free days. Alas, my wife is taking some evening fitness classes which have seriously cut into our dine-out time. Nevertheless, a guy has got to eat - even if it means grilling up some barley-fed pork from Niku-ya Meats compliments of David Nykl who also dropped off a box of sour candy for the writers with the note: “Whenever you eat one, think of Radek”. Far be it for me to criticize a gift but, in the future, David may want to consider having his character associated with something sweet and pleasant rather than something sour and distressing.
                  [...]
                  Anonymous writes: “Can you tell us anything more about Richard Dean Anderson being in the movies?”

Answer: At the moment, no.

Anonymous also writes: “… do you think there's any chance that Scifi will ask for more SG-1...?”

Answer: It’s very hard to say at this point. The fact that we’re one of their top-ranked shows gives me hope. Then again, I’m the guy who thought SG-1 would get picked up for an eleventh season.

Another Anonymous writes: “Have any stories that involved series attempts at suicide for any of the characters ever come up?”

Answer: Sure. Check out a SG-1 season 4’s “The Light”.

January 24 2007

Desiree also writes: “Would you ever consider attending a convention other than Comic Con...like DragonCon say?”

Answer: Sure, I’d consider it (Chris Judge speaks very highly of this event) but it’s very hard to get away during production. And then, if you are seriously considering having me attend, there’s the cost of all that added security to consider.

UberSG-1Fan also writes: “Hw much interference does the creative process receive from outside influences?”

Answer: No t.v. show is produced in a creative vacuum. That said, certain shows are more heavily-influenced by outside forces than others. Stargate has been fortunate in that it had already proven itself when it made the move from Showtime. Robert have always been permitted to make their own creative decisions and since the show’s inception, the buck has ultimately stopped with them. With season four of Atlantis, the buck will now stop with Paul and I (so if you have any complaints, please direct all correspondence to Paul who sets aside two hours every day to personally read fan mail). That said, SciFi does pay for the product and, thus, does weigh in on everything from script and cut notes to big issue decisions such as casting. MGM, meanwhile, has been nothing but fully, one hundred percent supportive of both shows and their creative teams.

Anonymous writes: “When is Scifi planning on airing Atlantis' season four? Will it be in the summer again, or will their be another six month break? If there is a longer break again, will it effect the movies/Stargate Universe timeline?”

Answer: I leave it to SciFi to lock down the date and make an official announcement. But regardless of when it airs, it will not affect the movies/Stargate Universe timeline.

Another Anonymous writes: “Are you planing to make a Stargate movie in the future that includes the real live actual furlings ? Or maybe in Atlantis or the new series ? (…) Do you ever plan to tell us what does the 9th chevron is for?”

Answer: We probably won’t be using any actual live furlings in future productions as they notoriously unpredictable and dangerous to work with. I don’t know about the SG-1 movies but, at present we have no plans to explore the furlings or that ninth chevron.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos writes: “You mentioned that Gero has a Wii, do you know what games has? Does he own Zelda: Twilight Princess?”

Answer: I’m not sure what titles he owns, but I’d be willing to bet Zelda: Twilight Princess is among them. Martin is more the “Battle for the Iron Cross Medal of Courage” type.

Stillhere writes: “In an update to her website, www.amandatapping.com, Amanda Tapping has revealed that it was you and Paul who came up with the idea of Sam Carter going to Alantis and approached her about it. Would you mind elaborating on how this concept came to be something you wanted to pursue as showrunners? Maybe a bit of insight into envisioning Carter in the Atlantis series?

Answer: To be fair, having Carter cross over to Atlantis was something we’ve wanted to do for a while but, for various reasons, were never able to achieve. It was an idea that had been floating around for a while because the character would make a great addition to Atlantis. She has a pre-established relationship (not to mention chemistry) with her old buddy McKay, a military background that will allow her to support Sheppard and the team if the need ever arises, a science background that will allow her to add her expertise to what has hitherto been a strictly McKay/Zelenka domain, and knowledge of, not to mention personal experiencing dealing with, both the replicators and the Ancients.
                  No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                  (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Latest from JM's blog -
                    http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...y-27-2007.html

Anonymous writes: “I think what has a lot of people worried (and maybe we
                    don't need to be) is the fear that [Carter] will TAKE OVER and be in charge while
                    Sheppard and Rodney get shoved to the sidelines because she thinks she is
                    "better" than they are in both military and science areas. Yeah probably won't
                    happen since she is a guest character but I think a little reassurance is needed
                    for some of us.”

Answer: Consider yourself reassured.

Trini writes: “…many SGA fans fear that the enormous growth Rodney has shown
                    over the seasons will be nullified; they fear that, since Rodney is rather
                    smitten with Sam, he would have eyes only for her and care only about her,
                    instead of about Sheppard and his team. Are there any reassurances you could offer
                    us? Will the friendship between the members of Sheppard's team still be
                    developed once Carter has joined Atlantis
                    ?”

Answer: Carter’s entering the mix will certainly make for some fun
                    interactions between the two, but the last time I checked McKay was already in a happy
                    relationship. As for the friendship between Sheppard’s team - we already have
                    some stories in the works.

GateGipsy: “ On the flipside, doesn't the character of Sam actually duplicate
                    many of the skills and special attributes of existing characters?”

Answer: If you look at it that way, Zelenka duplicates many of McKay’s skills
                    and special attributes and the same could be said with regard to Lorne
                    vis-?*-vis Sheppard.

Anonymous writes: “Can you at least tell us if Carter being on Atlantis is
                    going to reduce her participation in the SG-1 movies?”
                    Answer: Nope. Carter will be a very active participant in both SG-1 movies.

Anonymous writes: “ Is there any chance of Jack O'neill visiting Atlantis
                    again in season four?”

Answer: There’s a chance, sure.

Arctic Goddess writes: “What is the hardest part about writing a script for
                    Stargate?”

Answer: Hmmm. I’d say the most unpleasant part about writing a script is
                    definitely the rewrite - which is what I’m working on now.

UberSG-1Fan also writes: “Will we get to see much or any of Jeannie Miller,
                    Colonel Caldwell and Radek Zelenka?”

Probably, hopefully, and for sure.

Comment

Anonymous writes: “Joe, on the subject of books, who is your favorite writer, and what is your all-time favorite novel? On a side note, it looks like you've got some competition in the blog department. Rob Cooper is starting one on the MGM Stargate site.”

Answer: Favorite writer? Hmmm. I’ll have to give this some thought and get back to you. As for the news about Rob - well, let the blog wars begin!
                      Where's this Rob Cooper Blog? I would like to add it.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://stargatesg1.com/Profile.aspx?userId=30060

Nothing yet though...

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Oh good, and here I thought, geez, it's blank!

It's good to see that TPTB are jumping on the blog bandwagon - and I expect that RCC's will be of a less confrontational nature than JM's. So many studios are using online venues to promote their shows - the thing is they should have had this ball rolling and advertising away once they cut us all off at the knees back in, what? September - waiting till April for new episodes! Pfft

Comment

http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...y-28-2007.html

Anonymous writes: “Yeah, but we're not going to see Lorne or Zelenka in a massive 14 episodes next season, nor are either one of them the huge, franchise behemoth that is Sam Carter. (…) It's her show now, and everyone knows it.”

Answer: Everyone knows it? And you base this on what exactly? The time machine you used to pop into the future to actually watch season four so that you could base your bold statement on actual fact? Massive 14 episodes? Really? Zelenka was in a massive 10 episodes last year. Sick of him yet?

Anonymous #2 writes: “… why did you get rid of Carson. I've heard that Sunday wasn't supposed to be Carsons end that the episode had to be rewritten. Canadians aired his death. So does that mean that there are more Sg1 and Atlantis episodes that have never been aired ?”

Answer: I won’t go into the reasoning behind certain decisions, but I will say that the nice thing about scifi is that it offers an out for pretty much any situation no matter how dire - even death. As for the rumor that ending to Sunday was changed or rewritten - untrue.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Just *what* will Carter be doing on Atlantis that McKay or Zelenka can't do, or any of the other scientists, for that matter?”

Answer: You’ll have to tune in to find out. Or ask a friend to tune in and, if you like what you hear, tune in yourself.

Sprinkles writes: “Is there anything more you can tell fans about the 6 episode Daniel prior arc that was cut to one?”

Answer: Since The Shroud has yet to air, I can’t shed too much light on this arc. However, I can say that there was some early discussion of making it a fairly lengthy arc - having things kick off with the end of Quest II, a two episode disappearance, and then three subsequent episodes that would build to a climax and hopefully satisfying conclusion. In the end, it was decided to roll the three-episode story into one: The Shroud.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Since you had dinner with Carl, I was hoping you could tell us which writers will be writing for season 4 of Atlantis.”

Answer: Sure. Rob Cooper, Martin Gero, Carl Binder, Alan McCullough, Paul Mullie, and yours truly.

Whew. I think I’ll let my Magic 8 Ball answer the next few questions…

Stillhere also writes: “Any possiblility that Daniel Jackson will make a guest appearance in Atlantis season 4.”

The Magic 8 Ball says: “Cannot predict now.”

Schweinsty writes: “…just popped in to ask if we'll be seeing more of Lorne next season?”

The Magic 8 Ball says: “Outlook good.”

Anonymous #4 writes: “So when you say "the last time I checked McKay was already in a happy relationship" does that mean that we'll be seeing Katie Brown again in the future?”

The Magic 8 Ball says: “Signs points to yes.”.

Anonymous #5 writes: “Should Sheppard be with Teyla or with Weir?”

The Magic 8 Ball says: “Reply hazy, try again.”

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...y-28-2007.html

Anonymous writes: “Yeah, but we're not going to see Lorne or Zelenka in a massive 14 episodes next season, nor are either one of them the huge, franchise behemoth that is Sam Carter. (…) It's her show now, and everyone knows it.”

Answer: Everyone knows it? And you base this on what exactly? The time machine you used to pop into the future to actually watch season four so that you could base your bold statement on actual fact? Massive 14 episodes? Really? Zelenka was in a massive 10 episodes last year. Sick of him yet?
                              PWNED!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                                PWNED!!

What does that mean?

Meanwhile, I wonder if JM is going for a food critic job once the gates are done.....

Comment

Working...
                                X