Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Link: http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/

Beware, it's slightly more personal than the Gateworld blog, in that he talks about his own experiences (mostly with food) more than about his job as an Executive Producer. Still, it's pretty funny reading.

Oh yeah, and the comments are moderated, so no flame wars this time.

UPDATE: Joe's blog has moved! The new URL (where he's answering the comments) is:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

The old site will still contain the new blog entries, but he won't respond to comments posted there.
    Last edited by PG15; 07 January 2008, 02:26 PM.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Beware, it's slightly more personal than the Gateworld blog, in that he talks about his own experiences (mostly with food) more than about his job as an Executive Producer. Still, it's pretty funny reading.

Damnit! You mean we won't get to read those ever so pleasant comments about AT versus those ever so pleasant comments about MS?

...but that was so entertaining...
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post

Snort. I read just a few comments, mostly about food, or any posts that criticize fans criticizing his work It is sorta amusing...

I think he's best off blogging about food; less contentious and the studio people won't get in a snit if he says something to tick off fans or give away spoilers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
        Damnit! You mean we won't get to read those ever so pleasant comments about AT versus those ever so pleasant comments about MS?

LOL. Yes those will be missed.

After reading a few entries the only thing I can think to ask is which flavor of Pepto-Bismol he prefers. Or how he keeps his figure.

Got to give the man credit - he is fearless with a fork.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by keshou View Post
          LOL. Yes those will be missed.

After reading a few entries the only thing I can think to ask is which flavor of Pepto-Bismol he prefers. Or how he keeps his figure.

Got to give the man credit - he is fearless with a fork.
          Pepto comes in more than one flavor now?

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
            Pepto comes in more than one flavor now?
            Oh yeah, the original flavor and there's a cherry flavor too.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Funny...the one and only time I ever had to take pepto was when my Stargate website had it's annual meetup!
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post

AT is clearly better than MS!

Comment

Suuuuuuure.

Comment

oh, if any of you what that RSS feed for his blog, here it is:
                    http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/summary

I got it because I also have a Blogger Beta blog (6 to be exact), and I got the "feeds/posts/summary" from my RSS Feed.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ooh, I hope he has some posts about anime. Those posts and his ice cream posts were the best.

Comment

I've noticed that in recent days, Joe started to talk a lot about Stargate and production in his blog. Out of interest, I skimmed all of his blog entries for Stargate mentions, and I've decided to copy the relevant parts here. (This shouldn't be a problem, since no-one complained when Alex Levin's blog entries from http://blog.scifi.com/stargate/ were copied 1:1 here. I only provide maybe 10 or 20% of his blog here because with all due respect, I'm not really interested in food and Asia. ) When a full blog entry is about Stargate, I'll mark it as such so that Joe will get the whole traffic.

November 21 2006

Unlike the last blog which focused on the show and its various behind-the-scenes happenings, this one will adopt a more scattershot approach, covering a variety of topics in a half-ass manner, ensuring that anyone checking it out in search of any one thing will come away feeling wholly dissatisfied or, at the very least, somewhat disappointed.

November 29 2006

Then, [Fondy] zeroed in on my legs, demonstrating an exquisitely excruciating calf grip that I’ll no doubt use on Carl Binder the next time he gets out of line in the writer’s room.

December 1 2006

Q: Alex from Denver writes: “Joe, how come you’re not posting any non-food-related photos?

A: Great question, Alex. The initial focus of this blog was intended to be the food I ate over the course of my travels. That said, I have decided to open it up a little. Check out some of the accompanying non-food-related photos.

December 12 2006

[Some pictures on the page.]

“Every time I try to get out, they keep pulling me back in.” A phrase that could apply to a gangster struggling to go straight, but would really be more appropriate to a television producer trying to enjoy some time off between seasons. When the doorbell rang this morning and I spied the courier through the side window, my first thought was: “Oh no. Not that. Not now!” Paul, my writing partner, tends to adopt a more optimistic approach, quietly praying: “Please be visual effects. Please be visual effects.” Because, you see, if it is visual effects, they’ll amount to a handful of shots requiring comment or approval. But if it isn’t visual effects, then it can only mean one thing: a mix!

When people find out I never watch finished versions of Stargate episodes, they are genuinely surprised...(read more)

December 13 2006

I did manage to get a bit of work done on my script, beat out some season 4 synopses for this Friday afternoon’s conference call with SciFi, exchanged emails with Gary Jones (SG-1’s Walter Harriman) who, it turns out, is quite the watch aficionado (Just you ask him about the Tourbillon at the next convention), and chatted with poor Paul McGillion who has been deluged with interview requests regarding the Carson Beckett character. I suggested he follow my lead and defer the discussions of all sensitive matters to the show’s unwitting unofficial spokesperson: line producer John Smith.

December 14 2006

I met my writing partner Paul in a college-level creative writing class run by the campus’s resident madman, a colorful, charismatic, endlessly amusing former artist who had been afflicted with writer’s block so severe that he hadn’t written a word in over ten years and who, after leaving the teaching profession, descended into a state of paranoia that necessitated anyone trying to reach him execute a complicated dialing procedure (phone, let it ring twice, hang up, re-dial, let it ring twice again, hang up, then dial again) in order to signal the “all clear” and get him to pick up.
                        [...]
                        Years later, Paul and I were being interviewed by a local program. We were informed that the field reporter was going to ask us a few questions about working in television after which we would cut back to the studio where, in a pre-taped out, the show’s hostess would tell the audience: “If you want to learn more about writing, you can consult your local library or check the newspaper for information about upcoming seminars.” As the interview progressed, I couldn’t help but think of all of those students who wasted their time in that creative writing course when they could have instead been studying Contemporary Sexuality. If only someone had been straight with them from the get-go and saved them the trouble. “So, any advice for anyone at home interested in becoming a writer?”the reporter closed the interview. “Sure,”I replied. “Write! That’s how you become a better writer. The last thing you want to do is consults your local library or attend a seminar." And back to you in the studio, Helen.

December 15 2006

I jump out of bed, shower, drop Jelly off at the vets for her dental, squeeze in a cardio and tricep work-out, then grab a bowl of cold cereal and dial into the conference call with seconds to spare. As is often the case when we do these things, I’m the first one in. Eventually, Paul joins me and I figure I should suggest he take the lead since I’m running on only three hours sleep. But before I can make the suggestion, he informs me that his baby kept him up all night and since he only got three hours sleep would I mind taking the lead? Perfect. Eventually, the gang at SciFi join the conference call and, after the Hello’s are exchanged, they suddenly realize that something is amiss on their end and they’ll have to call back in. They hang up and, as I wait for them to reconnect, the automated operator informs me that the conference call has ended and that I’ll have to dial in once again. Ah, sonova-! I turn my laptop back on, retrieve the phone number and password, and try again. Finally, the conference call is underway.

And goes very well. We bid a fond farewell to Tony Optican who has shepherded Atlantis on SciFi’s end for the show’s three years of production (Tony continues his work on Eureka and moves onto some other show I no longer remember the name of), and bid a fond hello to Nora O’Brien who oversaw SG-1 prior to its untimely end on SciFi. We’ll certainly miss Tony who worked hard on behalf of Atlantis, but look forward to working with Nora who will no doubt work just as hard. We pitch out the first three episodes in detail, then give them a brief overview of what’s in store for the first half of the season and beyond. A nice mix of stories to get the ball rolling, and a spotlight episode for each of our characters in the first ten. Some major developments in the Pegasus galaxy coming off the events of the back-half of season 3, and the introduction of another new group of outsiders to stir things up. A big mystery consumes one character, while another reconnects with his past. I could go on, but I don’t want to bore you with the details.

December 18 2006

And speaking of waiting - expect the back half of the Gates to air sometime in 2007 on SciFi, although they’ll have probably aired elsewhere between now and March (Sky comes to mind, you lucky, lucky Brits). Every season has it’s highs and lows (for there will always be the odd Instance of a Rather Rueful or Exasperating and Singularly Palpable, Occasionally Negative and Surprisingly Irremissible Bothersome Lows Engendered in any series) but both shows come back in fine form and with definite highs: Return II for Atlantis and Quest II for SG-1. Yup, that is Rick performing the underwater swim (sans stunt double) displaying an almost super-human ability to hold his breath. And, yes, that is Chris Judge displaying equally super-human ability in running, jumping and looking generally alert despite having enjoyed less than a couple of hours sleep the night before. How DO they do it?

December 20 2006

For some reason, I’m at my most prolific while driving. Forget sitting in an office, parked in front of a laptop. Give me my Q7 and a nice long drive. Case in point - after agonizing over this script for days, I wrote five pages today while motoring around the city. No phone calls or errands or Ecuadoran 72% dark chocolate to distract me. Just my thoughts, the whipping wipers, and the occasional street light that happened to catch my attention. At this point in the scripting process, it’s 85% dialogue (as the story structure has already been set), and I’ve discovered that nothing helps me write better than self-imposed isolation. Instead of listening to the radio or checking out the scenery, I’ll focus on the story and ask myself: What does this scene need to accomplish? What information needs to be relayed? Who should deliver this piece of information and when? I usually like to start a scene already in progress, allowing for a more natural “in“ free of any annoying preliminaries or exposition. We pick things up with our characters already talking or working on something. At this point, I imagine the scene, who is where doing what, and the pieces begin to fall into place. Humor will evolve from the dialogue be it a simple turn-of-phrase or an outright gag and I will work it into the run or file it away until the conversation reaches the point where I can massage it in. I’ll sit behind the wheel, running dialogue in my head in much the same way that I write scripts: Getting the first part down, then moving onto the second, after which I go back and polish the first and second parts before moving onto the third, then going back and re-polishing the first two parts and polishing the third part before moving onto the fourth, and so on. Each speech plays off the one preceding it and segues into the one following, establishing a nice little rhythm that, if done right, stays with you long after it’s been written - and proves maddeningly difficult to fiddle with when you receive those network notes.

Aside from writing, I did manage to get out and do some shopping. Whereas Paul has decided to go executive eggshell and metallic grey for his office redo, I’ve opted for super villain resin and porcelain (pictured). Still haven’t found the right Christmas gift for Fondy (though I’m thinking if worse comes to worse, that Mysterio bust would look pretty nice in her office), but I do appreciate all of the suggestions offered and will get on them tomorrow.

December 31 2006

The dawn of each season brings ideas galore
                        Some which survive, others shown the door,
                        Like that time travel story, or the love romp not done,
                        Or the Dark Daniel arc trimmed from six tales to one.

We begin each new year with the best of intentions,
                        Seeking to craft our inspired inventions.
                        But conditions are altered, storylines change,
                        From the original notion so far may they range.

So as we look forward to two thousand and seven,
                        I can’t help but think it would truly be heaven,... (read more)

[to be continued]
                        No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                        (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

January 1 2007

With only a couple of days to go before I head back to Vancouver, I thought I'd take a tour of some of my old childhood stomping grounds.
                          [...]
                          Well, I noticed that my previous post has engendered a fair amount of interest as fans have attempted to decypher the occasionally cryptic rhyme. Sorry, no hints, but I will offer some clarification. The rhyme touches on every episode in the back half of Atlantis season 3 (no front half references), as well as a good chunk of the stories we're working on for season 4. Only one of the stanzas refers to only one episode. The others refer to two and occasionally more.

January 2 2007

Congratulations to Martin Gero who has just finished directing his very first feature and is now in the process of editing together a first cut which his fellow Stargate producers will hopefully get to see (and mercilessly critique).

January 3 2007

Well, we're back in Vancouver and, evidently, I'm not the only one who's overfed. According to our dog sitter, our pugs have been enjoying the good life for far too long and she has put them on a strict regimen of daily walkies, scaled down breakfast and dinner portions and - horrors of horrors - only two treats a day.
                          [...]
                          Well, it's back to work tomorrow. Between the errands I'll be running and, oh yeah, that script I should be reading, show-off Rob Cooper has sent me a first draft of his Atlantis script AND the super top secret outline for the super top secret first SG-1 movie. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

January 4 2007

My traveling is done and I can finally sit back and relax, just as soon as I - finish my script, give Rob notes on his movie outline and his Atlantis script, call the electrician to come in and check out the disconcerting PING! emanating from my sump pump ever forty seconds or so, find a tailor and have all of my suits taken in as I've lost an inch off my waist since Hong Kong, work out, walk the dogs, forward that Tokyo itinerary to the nice girl who contacted me asking for suggestions, send off that payment to London Life, do my GST, watch the Dominion Day 2 mix, update my library, and write my latest blog entry.

January 8 2007

[Some pictures of SGA cast and crew at JM's house.]

David Hewlett (seemingly trying to hang himself with his own scarf above) and his lovely fiancee Jane dropped by for horror night tonight, their dog Mars in tow. Equally lovely Martin Gero and his beautiful Stephanie also came by for dinner, but ducked out before we headed downstairs for the screening. Martin claimed he was feeling unwell (as the pic will attest) but I suspect he's just a little squeamish when it comes to scary movies.
                          [...]
                          David, it turns out, is a huge fan of horror movies. He and Jane were by in November for a screening of the Russian Night Watch which we all enjoyed. Tonight, we screened a movie that David has been dying to check out for months now: The Descent. It's rare when a horror movie actually delivers the goods, but this one certainly did. The Descent was a truly frightening film about six women who get a lot more than they bargained for when they go spelunking deep within an underground cave network. Lots of startling scares had my wife (and, humorously enough, David much to Jane's delight) jumping up in her seat and occasionally digging her nails into my hand. CREEEEEEEPY!

And painful.

January 9 2007

Fans of SG-1 and Atlantis may be excused for not realizing that SciFi intends to air the back halves of both shows this year. A recent ad that aired on NBC showcased the 2007 SciFi line-up - shows like Battlestar, Eureka, Dresden Files, Painkiller Jane. That is all.
                          Hmmm.
                          [...]
                          Went into the office today and caught up with Brad, Robert, and a still very green Martin Gero who, despite his fragile constitution, managed to force down two slices of greasy pepperoni pizza before being overwhelmed by the nausea that forced him to head home early. We watched a Day 1 mix of Unending. A great season-ender (I’d say series ender but, really, that’s up to the fans. So long as they keep supporting the DVD’s, the longer we’ll keep telling stories) that offers some truly poignant moments and finally offers up some major satisfaction for members of “that” fan contingent. We also watched a Day 2 mix of Vengeance. Joel did a great job on the score. It is, without a doubt, the best monster movie we’ve ever done on Stargate.
                          [...]
                          Finally, congratulations to fellow Student Bodies alumnus Leonard Dick who penned tonight’s episode of House. Great script and a fine end to the David Morse arc. Hey, is it just me or does David Morse remind you SG-1’s Gary Jones?

January 10 2007

Regarding yesterday's post, SG-1 Forever writes: " Jack would be awesome! Can you tell us if he's in the movies, Joe?"

Answer: Nothing to report on this front (sorry) but I can confirm that the character of Jack O'Neill will not be making an appearance in the season ten finale (again, sorry).

Regarding the My Dinner with David post, Tokiya 2 writes: "OMG - are they Nanaimo Bars I see David Hewlett's fingers inching toward?"

Answer: Alas, no. They're an assortment of Carrafel gianduja with various cream nut centers.

January 12 2007

“He’s lost it,”was Paul’s prognosis as we watched our fellow writer shamble down the corridor like a zombie staggering to catch up with its horde, in a hurry but not really hurrying. In truth, he had all the time in the world as the show’s producers, either weary of dealing with him or simply not wishing to be reminded of the mistake they’d made in hiring him in the first place, had set him up in an office clear on the other side of the building. With accounting! I suppose it can happen to the best of us - and that’s what scares me more than anything: the prospect that I’ll wake up one morning and discover “I’ve lost it.”

It’s always in the back of my mind, from the moment I start a script and am faced with the daunting, seemingly insurmountable task ahead... (read more)

January 13 2007

Turns out it was UPS with a package, and a quick glance at the sender’s address let me know that I would be receiving something far better than a headshot from a 22. I was getting rum cake from the Picardos!

You’d no doubt recognize actor Robert Picardo from, oh, everything - but his turns as Dr. Richard on China Beach and The Doctor on Star Trek:Voyager in particular. He’s also made a fair share of appearances on both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, which is how I got to know Bob and learn that he is a bit of a foodie - and that his wife Linda makes the greatest rum cake in the history of rum cakes.
                          [...]
                          Anonymous writes: “…there is a new interview with NJ Smith on MGM's site and he talks about 24 hours of episodes for SGA S4 - are there going to be 24 episodes?”

Answer: If there are, I wish someone would have told me. But I‘m going to go out on a limb here and say no, we‘ll only be producing 20 episodes of Atlantis this year.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos writes:”Will we finally see the "when the time comes, cut the green wire" thing Black Cam mentioned at the end of "Ripple Effect," in the back half of Season 10? If not, what about the movies?”

Answer: Not in season 10 but maybe in the movies.

Anonymous writes: “No Jack O'neill? That's just awful news. I sure hope Jack can lead the team in the movies. It doesn't feel right without him. And what about him and Sam?

Answer: Although Unending may be the final episode of series, the adventures of SG-1 will continue on DVD. Their story is not over, so we‘re not looking at Unending as SG-1’s swan song. As for Jack being in either of the movies - it’s still too early to tell. Of course we’d love to have O’Neill in the movies. Believe me, if all it took was our desire to have him on the show, Rick would have never left.

January 14 2007

Back to work on Wednesday where, between interviews for the big special feature Ivon is working on, we'll get together with James in the Art Department to discuss what's in store set-wise for the front half of Atlantis and the SG-1 movies. On the script front, Rob has already finished his first Atlantis script and distributed copies. Carl, I know, has at least one script in hand. I'm betting Alan does too. And Paul doesn't. Spoke to Martin today who has finished his first draft and is in the process of polishing the dialogue and, to his horror, discovering the occasional plot hole along the way (no to worry, we solved the whole dialing the gate/sending the MALP/where does the jumper go problem). As for me - well, page 42 and counting. Al...most...there...

January 15 2007

Success! Finally! After what felt like two grueling months (No, check that. It WAS two grueling months), the script is done. Almost. Actually, not even almost. I have a first draft. Fifty-five glorious pages that, when printed up, feel nice and heavy and, upon first glance, resemble a real honest-to-goodness Atlantis script. All that’s left to do now is read it over a couple of dozen times, agonize over the plot, dialogue, and description, make the necessary changes, read it one final time just to be sure, get notes from the other writers, make the necessary changes, get notes from the network, make the necessary changes, incorporate any notes the actors may have and then - done, done and done. Sort of but not really, because then prep week begins with all of its meetings and discussions and, yes, changes. However, once prep week is over it’s finally out of my hands - for about a day. And that‘s when the dailies start coming in, followed by the various cuts, more network notes, and the mixes. Of course, along the way, I’ll also be writing three more scripts.
                          [...]
                          [And I include the infamous lemmings speech (loved it), although there are (might be?) only subtle connections to the Stargate fandom:]
                          Fondy and I are working our way through the second season of Boston Legal and are really enjoying the series. But one thing I found quite bizarre was the disappearance of one of the cast members. She’s in the show’s opening credits but only appeared in a handful of episodes before vanishing completely. Strange. She was a likable enough character. I wondered who was to blame for her disappearance. Was it the producers? The network? The studio? The actress herself? Was it a variety of factors? Some of the above? All of the above? Or maybe none of the above? Well, there was one thing I knew for sure, and that was that I knew nothing for sure. I considered joining some online fan forum and joining the chorus blaming the producers for her sudden disappearance, that episode with the singing, and my dog’s eye condition - but ultimately decided against it because I realized it would only make me sound like a shrill and ill-informed lemming. Still, it was tempting. There’s something strangely comforting and delusively empowering about chiming in with an anonymous mob, albeit one that lacks any true insight into the reality of a situation.

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."

Comment

January 16 2007

Wow! When I first started this blog, I was averaging about 50 hit’s a day. Slowly but surely, those numbers crept up to the point where, as of last week, I was averaging closer to 250. The greatest number of visits to this blog was a little under 600 but, after yesterday’s entry that record has been shattered. 1200 today and counting! Who’d have thought there were so many Hat Day supporters out there!
                            [...]
                            Speaking of grousing, I couldn’t help but notice that certain remarks in yesterday’s blog have engendered a rising tide of frothing fan fury. Some accuse me of hating the fans, the forums, anyone holding a negative opinion of the shows. In their, dare I say it, lemming-like stampede rush to hysterical judgment, they failed to take one tiny thing into account: what I actually wrote. Even though the quote has found its way onto the various forums, no one has bothered to actually read it, caught up as they are in the intoxicating frenzy of mass berserker rage. To refresh your memories, I wrote: “I considered joining some online fan forum and joining the chorus blaming the producers for her sudden disappearance (…) but ultimately decided against it because I realized it would only make me sound like a shrill and ill-informed lemming.” To spell it out for you: individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst. And those who chime in with them fare not much better. Sorry, nothing there about fans who are unhappy with the show or those who criticize the show or those who frequent forums or fans in general. Specifically, and quite clearly, I was referring to the self-anointed know-it-alls. That said, don’t let me stop any other fans who don’t fall into said group from feeling any less victimized. If you want to feel persecuted for no good reason, by all means go for it. After all, there’s nothing more satisfying than a good mob rage. (Ultimately, I’m sure this won’t change many minds. Joining together with like-minded individuals in a screaming chorus of blue murder is a heck of a lot easier than admitting you’ve made a mistake.)

Spoke to Jane today. A quickie congratulations to her and David. The London premiere of A Dog’s Breakfast sold out in 20 minutes. 20 minutes! Now that my script is finally out of the way, I’m finally going to check out Mars’s big screen debut. I can’t believe I knew him when he was just a regular dog coming over for horror movie night.
                            [...]
                            Melantha writes: “As for the writing and producing side of things, does that spoil your enjoyment of the show at all?”

Answer: While I wouldn’t say it spoils my enjoyment of the show, I do admit that after reading the script multiple times and watching dailies, the director’s cut, the various producer’s cut, and the mixes, I’m never in that much of a rush to see the finished episode.
                            [...]
                            Anonymous writes: “Joe, in your professional opinion, do you think that the ratings might bounce back when the shows come back in the spring?”

Answer: That entirely depends on how well the show is promoted.

Gategipsy writes: “Joe, is that truly how you feel about people who are so passionate about a show that they join an online community to talk about it?”

Answer: Although I felt it was perfectly clear in my original post, I made it a point to repeat myself today. Furthermore, since you’re a moderator on Gateworld, you no doubt know that I have done more to support the various fan-generated sites than anyone on the show - taking the time to provide behind-the-scene exclusives, attending chats, dropping by to answer fan questions and debate certain aspects of the shows whenever possible. I have never had a problem with constructive criticism, but at the point where said criticism degenerates into personal attacks or blanket show-bashing, an open dialogue becomes pointless. I have made some good friends over the course of my time on the boards, but for every friend made there are fifty fans who presume you owe them something, anything from creative changes to in-depth explanations of the why’s and wherefore’s of production. Familiarity, in this case, breeds a sense of entitlement. And while I would love to give everyone the inside scoop on the reasons behind the decisions we make, the salaries and deal points of everyone involved in the show, and the details of a fellow-writer’s recent colonoscopy, realistically, it’s not going to happen.

January 17 2007

[Many photos of the cast and crew and the Stargate. Check it out!]

Well, today was the day my paradisaical respite came to an abrupt end with a return to work where the heavy burden of television production was once again thrust upon me. After an arduous morning spent discussing holidays, football, and our favorite t.v. shows, we eventually broke for a spartan lunch - turkey breast on multigrain with cranberry and mayo for me - before retreating to our respective offices for several hours of intense script-reading (ive in all). The first half of the season is looking very solid story-wise as, in addition to some great team episodes, each of our characters is given the opportunity to shine in their own feature episodes.
                            In the afternoon, I sat down to an interview for a Stargate special, where I spent the better part of an hour discussing everything from the show's "mythological superstructure" to a certain system lord's flair for fashion. A truly grueling day.

For those of you in need of a scorecard: we have a waving and fiery-eyed Rob Cooper, the dashing Alan McCullough, the bespectacled Alex Levine, the ever-cheerful Carl Binder, John Lenic gives season 4 the thumbs up, the ice cool BamBam, Martin Gero beats a hasty retreat, our assistant Lawren Bancroft-Wilson goes incognito, I give Carl's script some serious consideration, Kerry preps for the interview, Ivon goes camo, and Aaron looking street.
                            [...]
                            Carolina writes: "Joe, without wanting to get to serious, what do you think about how in today's world, people can watch a show whenever they want and not depend on a tv schedule?"

Answer: So long as we get the ratings, I don't mind how the fans watch (live, tivo) or re-watch (dvd) the show. Personally, I think it's hard to beat t.v. on dvd for a good, 3-4 hour commercial-free marathon.

UNSRM writes: "...are you not at all worried that the introduction of Amanda and recurring nature of Torri's character that you might blur the line between SG1 and Atlantis (...)?

Second, I'd love an assurance from you that the time travel movie will be different from past examples, e.g. Moebius.

Answer: We made a point of isolating Atlantis in its first season in order to establish it as a separate entity from SG-1. With season two, elements of SG-1 began to bleed through to the Pegasus Galaxy (even more so and vice-versa in season 3) because, by that point, Atlantis had established itself as a unique series. From a "story universe" standpoint, it makes sense that the line between SG-1 and Atlantis will occasionally blur given their shared origins and mythology.

Ugly Pig writes: "...could Dr. Mallozzi from 'Sunday' be none other than the Joseph Mallozzi? You know, the guy who wrote 'Latin for the Novice'?"

Answer: One and the same. Latin for the Novice was such a huge bestseller that the good doctor was able to open his own anime shop.

Anonymous writes: "Am I ignorant, a cretin or a Lemming?"

Answer: Depends. Tell me more about yourself.

Anonymous writes: "How long - on average - would you say it takes to completely spin/break an episode, and after that, to write it? How much description do you usually write into your episodes, and how much do you leave to the director/VFX people? Do you use 'cut to:' in your writing, or do you just go from one scene to the next without that?"

It will take the better part of a day to break a story, about two weeks to write a first draft, and (hopefully) only a couple of days to write a second draft. I only write as much description as necessary and leave the directors as much leeway as possible. No "cut to's" but I will use the occasional "dissolve to" and "wormhole transition to" in order to suggest the passage of time.

Comment

January 18 2007

Teri writes: “While I both agree to a degree with the comments you made re the fandom (…) it's rather unfair to deride them for going off without all the information and then doing nothing to alter their lack of knowing. And I say that fully aware that you may not be in a position to divulge said information, in which case perhaps the mocking was less than the best road to take. (…) So, you know, maybe try to avoid the sweeping generalizations?”

Answer: Unfortunately, no one involved in a production can be as forthcoming as they’d like to be. Fans of any show will be left in the dark to varying degrees and while I do sympathize with said fans (some of whom may view any change with a certain amount of trepidation), I don’t sympathize with those who devote their online activities to finger-pointing and baseless assumptions. As for the sweeping generalizations, I was and have been pretty clear about which specific group of fans I was referring to. Naturally that won’t stop others from choosing to lump themselves in with this group and revel in their exquisite faux persecution but that pretty much reinforces my point as well. Finally, when it comes to this blog, people come for the mock but stay for the food pics.

Anonymous writes: “Can we please have some sort of hint of how much we're going to be seeing Elizabeth?! *gives puppy dog pout* Pwease?!”

Answer: Can’t say too much about what we have in store specifically for season 4. However, I can reveal that the Weir character will be a significan player in a major arc.

Joe writes: “Do you find it hard to write and maintain a blog like this?”

Answer: This blog was originally intended to be a food/travel blog. But, upon my return from Asia, I decided to continue chronicling my adventures in eating - and whatever else crossed my mind. I’ve kept up the pace of posting daily as a means of forcing myself to write. Also, I can’t stop taking pictures of my meals.

January 19 2007

NowIWillDestroyAbydos writes: “Do any of the cast and crew (of SG-1 and SGA, and including yourself) have any of the current gen gaming consoles (Wii, X-Box 360, and/or PS3)?”

Answer: I believe Martin Gero owns an X-Box. Rob owns both the X-Box and the PS2. Paul and I are still on PS2, waiting out the PS3. I tried to buy Fondy a Wii this past Christmas but, alas, they were all sold out.

Anonymous writes: "Is this Alan guy single ?? though I wouldn't mind BamBam to be either:

Answer: Sorry, ladies. Alan is a newlywed. As for BamBam - get him while the getting's good.

January 20 2007

Lukas writes: “In at least two episodes of season 3 (once in Tao of Rodney, and multiple times in Common Ground) the German flag on this one guy's shoulder was upside down. I'm not an obsessive fan but being German myself, it was something that caught my attention.”

Answer: Actually, the upside down German flag was intended as a subtle symbolic parallel to the literal upheaval Atlantis undergoes in both episodes as shocking events “turn the place upside down”, forcing our heroes in a scrambling panic to right things and re-establish the standing order that…yeah, somebody screwed up. I’ll mention it to Costumes next week.

Marla writes: “Will events in Atlantis this coming season mention or deal with those that will be taking place in the SG1 movies? Will it be known whether Carter goes to Atlantis before or after the threat of the Ori has been dealt with?”

Answer: Nothing is yet set in stone with regard to the timing of events.

Comment

Working...
                              X