Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-74-of-91/

March 23, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter, whisky

Hey! I need a title of Dark Matter Episode 308. Click on the link below and vote for one. It only takes a few seconds and would really help me out. Thanks!

P.S. I just got a sneak peek at the director’s cut of Episode 309. Disguises! Bikes! Fresh-baked cookies! It’s gonna be crazy!

Anya on Janah-12 (photo by Renee Chan).

Anthony Lemke on set. No, this isn’t from a scene in the episode. Mine was the only camera on him.

The Dark Matter Whisky Club continues to expand its empty bottle collection.

Finally, I post a lot about dogs on this blog because, well, I have dogs. Today, I’d like to mention a cat who is in need of our help. She’s sick and her owner can’t afford the tests. Read the story and help out if you can by clicking on the following link: Help Gatico
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-75-of-91/

March 24, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter poll results, Dark Matter behind-the-scenes pics

There you have it. Yet another season 3 episode title…

“Episode 34: Hot Chocolate”

But what does it all mean? Well, turns out you’ll find out sooner than later as Dark Matter’s third season fast approaches!

Read-thru for Episode 312 today. Boy, A LOT happens in this episode. And it’s chock full of surprising revelations. Not just one or two or even three, but four BIG secrets are revealed!

Today, check out some behind-the-scenes pictures compliments of our second unit director of photography Gregor Hagey:
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...2017-my-girls/

March 25, 2017

Photos: Suji, Lulu, Dark Matter

Why does Suji look so worried? Well, the results of her latest urinalysis reveal an antibiotic-resistant bug. Antibiotic-resistant but for a single one we can use to treat her. The news has Akemi and I very concerned because this is the same road Jelly went down in her final years. Over time, her frequent UTI’s became increasingly harder to treat to the point that, in the end, we were out of options. In her final days, I was looking into phage therapy as a potential last resort but, unfortunately, ran out of time. Hopefully, it’s a treatment that will be readily available to us with Suji if the need arises. In the meantime, Akemi and I are being extra careful with her – and supplementing her diet with cranberry concentrate.

Independent, occasionally aloof Lulu has turned out to be surprisingly sensitive. First after Maximus’s passing, then after Jelly’s, and now following Bubba’s, she has been quiet and increasingly despondent, taken to sitting quietly by herself over interaction. Akemi and I are giving her a lot of extra attention. Also, coconut oil for the painfully dry-looking top of her nose.

Akemi, of course, is still missing her special boy. There are moments when she thinks of him and feels down. In the past, whenever she experienced moments like these, she could always count on Bubba to cheer her up but, of course, that isn’t possible anymore and the very thought makes her even sadder. Fortunately, Suji is such a little goofball that she always manages to find a way to brighten her day. She may be a a little more work than your average dog, but she’s well worth the effort.

With less than a month to go before production wraps on Dark Matter’s third season, I really should start making plans for our return to Vancouver. I’m thinking of finishing up my final cut at the end of April and getting a few mixes under my belt before leaving Toronto in mid-May. That will give me about a month to relax and plan the show’s fourth season (Yeah, I’m feeling confident) before convening the writers’ room in mid June for three weeks.

Hey, check it out. Now available on Blu-ray and DVD: Dark Matter Season 2. Pre-order it now. In the meantime, head on over to Netflix to re-binge because the season 3 premiere will be here sooner than you think!
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...r-2017-part-1/

March 26, 2017

Photos: Toronto Dessert Tour 2017, Part 1

Mission Objective: Hit five of Toronto’s best dessert spots over the course of an afternoon.

STOP #1

SUD FORNO: Italian pastries.

Seven stalwart eaters joined me on this dessert op.

Mean Jean Brophey starts things off with a double espresso. She would need the caffeine boost.

On deck: Mini rhum babas, mini chocolate rhum babas, and canolis.

Elliot, Akemi, Ivon, and Alison start their sampling engines.

Kerrington and Breanna = ferocious eaters. FEROCIOUS!

The highlight: The mini rhum baba. A perfect boozy bite.

716 Queen Street West (MAP) sudforno.com

STOP #2

NADEGE: Chocolates and pastries.

Petit choux (mini cream puffs) of various flavors. Akemi is a big fan of the praline while Alison swore by the lemon and ginger.

Bailey’s Irish Cream-flavored marshmallows.

The Individual Donut: caramel chantilly, salted caramel cream, crisp praliné wafer and almond shortbread.

Kerrington considers her next move.

Highlights: That donut!

780 Queen Street West (MAP) www.nadege-patisserie.com

STOP #3

PEACE TREATS: Milkshakes

Three different milkshakes. From left to right: D.R.E.A.M. (Donuts Rule Everything Around Me) – a vanilla milkshake topped with mini donuts, Amusement Park – cotton candy milkshake stacked with cotton candy, and Go Shanty It’s Your Birthday – vanilla milkshake topped with a slice of birthday cake.

I’m in heaven.

Ivon pacing himself.

Elliot and his mysterious floating cap.

I contemplate life. And that birthday cake milkshake.

Breanne, aka “The Cleaner”.

Highlight: The cotton candy milkshake!

131 Ossington Ave. (MAP) Peace Treats

We WERE planning to go for ice cream next, but our intended target wouldn’t open for another fifteen minutes. And so, rather than wait, we made efficient use of our time by taking a walk up to College Street and getting in another dessert stop.

STOP #4

BAKE SHOPPE: Baked goods.

The offerings included, among other things, homemade pop tarts!

Nutella brown butter cookie and red velvet cupcake.

Ruffles marshmallow and passion flakie.

Still focused!

Highlight: The unusual sweet and savory Ruffles marshmallow, the passion flakie, and that nutella brown butter cookie.

859 College Street (MAP) www.bakeshoppeto.com

STOP #5

BANG BANG ICE CREAM: Ice cream.

The final stop on our marathon tour. Just pick your ice cream flavor, choose a fresh baked cookie and voila!

I went chocolate cookie and toffee ice cream.

Jean and Akemi sugaring it up.

Sugar high! (photo courtesy of Ivon Bartok).

Hong Kong Waffle high.

Highlight: The peanut butter and jelly ice cream!

93A Ossington Ave. (MAP) bangbangicecream.com

We concluded our afternoon in fine style –

STOP #6

Trinity Bellwoods Dog Bowl for the monthly pug meet-up…

Thanks to everyone who made this dessert op a success. Nice work, team! See you in two weeks for the Toronto Dessert Tour Part 2!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-78-of-91/

March 27, 2017

Video: Anthony Lemke and Norman Denver

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Dark Matter, Nick Wong, the Dark Matter Ping Pong Tournament

Dark Matter Productions! Joe speaking. How may I direct your call? (Photo by Alice Foster. My new boss?)

These new Apple power adapters are the worst ones yet!

This afternoon, I got to spend a few hours in the editing room with the outrageously talented Nick Wong as he prepares to put the finishing touches on one of my very favorite episodes of the season. Nick, in his rookie year on Dark Matter, came highly recommended by Blindspot Creator/Showrunner Martin Gero and he has done Marty G. (and the DM production) proud by delivering some of the tightest, most dynamic episodes in the show’s run. Always a pleasure.

We’re down to The Final Four! No, not THAT Final Four. THIS Final Four. I’m referring to the Dark Matter Ping Pong Tournament. If you were paying attention today, you got a chance to watch the action live when actor Anthony Lemke took on heavily favored line producer Norman Denver for the final spot in the semi-finals. Norman, of course, one in three games, setting up a match-up against his right-hand man Brandon Tataryn (who will someday give name to the terrible disease that claimed Sarah’s life). In the other semi-final match-up, it’ll be red hot Rich Green vs. Jesse “Iceman” Partin. Check out some of the action:
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-78-of-91/

March 28, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter, Bruce McDonald

Tune in today on the Dark Matter Facebook page for a LIVE FEED of the two Semi-Final matches at approximately 8:00pm (TBD). The two matches are between Brandon Tataryn and Norman Denver, followed by Jesse Partin and Rich Green. Check in on the Facebook page for any updates to the scheduled match times.

AND stay tuned tomorrow for the final match which will be streamed live, mid-day, time to be confirmed!

WATCH

Ever wanted to shadow a director? Or get the real scoop on what goes on in a production meeting? Well, wonder know more. Here are exclusive pics of director Bruce McDonald – and friend – in action…

I hate it when they fight.

Ishida Office Mouse Puppet design by Judith Clancy!

Anyone remember what THIS is?
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-79-of-91/

March 29, 2017

Photos: Ron Murphy, Dark Matter

Well, looks who’s back to close out the year. Yes, it’s director Ron Murphy, here to book-end Dark Matter’s third season with a season finale that will, well, blow your minds.

Today, I traveled to capitol of Zairon for the big Ishida Palace dinner scene. Who are the invited guests? Well, you’ll have to wait until episode 312 to find out, but here’s a sneak peek at one of the table pieces compliments of Set Key Props Lisa Amaral Wright.

And while they were eating fruits and vegetables at the Ishida Palace, Ivon, Kerrington, Elliot and I were two minutes away enjoying a decidedly different meal…

Hey! Who feels like choosing our next episode title? Your choices are…

What, pray tell, could this episode be about?
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-80-of-91/

March 30, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter poll results, Dark Matter concept art, Suji, Lulu, Bubba

Thanks to all who participated our episode naming poll. We have a winner!

Dark Matter “Episode 25: Isn’t That A Paradox?”

Well?! Isn’t it?!!!!!

Four more chances to choose your favorite episode title to come!

While the action continued at the Ishida Palace, I was at the production offices prepping the BIG season finale. AND making plans for season 4 (How’s that for optimism?).

A little something the Art Department is working on…

A question from birdyincanada: “I know I just missed the last mailbox, but I would like to know who is responsible for choosing a director and why does a show choose different directors for different episodes instead of sticking with one person. They do this for movies, why not for shows?”

Answer: Production proceeds on a staggered schedule so that, while one director is shooting an episode, another is prepping. It would be next to impossible for a single director to prep the entire 13 episode slate (it would take months!) and then direct the whole thing – and, frankly, not particularly efficient. Using different directors also allows us to try and discover new talent, like this season’s finds: directors Craig David Wallace and Melanie Orr.

Before Bubba’s passing, we had some family photos taken with photographer Kevin Sarasom at Off Leash Studio. He got some great shots of the kids, among them this keeper:

Also, thanks to artist A. Jaye Williams (sillwill.com) for the amazing sketch of Bubba.
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-81-of-91/

March 31, 2017

Photos: Bubba, Suji, Dark Matter, The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti

Guys, guys! Not so fast! We’re not heading back to Vancouver for another month and a half. I’ve still got another two and a half weeks of production, one script rewrite, four cuts, and innumerable mixes to complete before I can start packing.

The action was fast and furious on main unit over at the Ishida Palace where the red wine and blood were flowing. Dontcha just love family reunions?

Security cam footage from Rigel-9 captures two of this galaxy’s most wanted.

The subterranean meeting lair – a work in progress.

The Ferrous Corp shipyard – designed by Henry Fong. Moving on to the VFX stage.

Between my various Dark Matter-related duties, I’ve managed to read 40 books so far this year. The best book I’ve read to date – and, in fact, the best book I’ve read since my 2014 discovery of The Glass Castle – is Hannah Tinti’s The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley that, at it’s heart, explores the relationship between a girl and her deeply-flawed father. 5 stars!

Can’t recommend it enough. Brilliant.
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...d-to-the-dogs/

April 1, 2017

Photos: Lulu, Bubba, Suji, Akemi, Joe Mallozzi

We received the retouched selects from our family photo session at Off Least Studio. Some great shots of 11 year old Suji, 9 year old Lulu and, of course 14.5 year old Bubba taken the week before he passed away.

This is one of my favorites. Note Lulu actually smiling for the pic.

Suji and her classic “What’s up?” look.

Suji and her wheels.

Our dignified older man.

Lulu says “Whatever!”.

She has a way of melting your heart.

Suji demonstrates her earthquake-preparedness stance.

Bubba shaking it up.

He looks like he’s still a puppy!

Ready to go on vacation.

Like an old married couple.

And a rare family pic.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...k-in-the-park/

April 2, 2017

Photos: High Park, Suji, Lulu, Peter Kelamis, Patrick Gilmore, Jennifer Spence

“Is that Suji?”asked the woman in the bicycle helmet.

“Why yes,”I said. “It is!”

We’d spent the better part of the beautiful afternoon in High Park, walking the dogs along the water, taking in the sights and the cantankerous swans, and were on our way back to the car. Lulu and Suji were tuckered out, so I had the task of pushing them – and their stroller – up the winding incline toward the lot. We’d just reached the nice little bench area at the top of the hill when we encountered the lovely cyclist couple.

“They’re exhausted,”I explained. And then, by way of an explanation: “They’re old.” Ironically, they looked quite comfortable in the stroller while I was the one fighting for breath.

They’d recognized Suji from a recent pug meet-up. Initially, I’d assumed/hoped they’d recognized her from instagram where her NewOldPugSuji account has, in a mere three months, has more than doubled by follower count. She’s on track to break 5k by mid-month. At this rate, I’d be foolish NOT to stunt cast in season 4.

When I retire in about seven years from now, I’m going to just live off Suji’s various endorsements and public appearances.

But today, a lot of this:

Hey, this takes me back. Actors Peter Kelamis, Patrick Gilmore, and Jennifer Spence behind-the-scenes on Stargate: Universe
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-83-of-91/

April 3, 2017

Video: Peanut butter chew groovin' with Suji

Photos: Dark Matter

This is the time of the season when things are finally winding down and I can finally catch a bit of a rest. Although there are still episodes to finish shooting, cuts to edit, visual effects to approve, and episodic music to review, the writing is done and that means my nights and weekends are (mostly) my own. I no longer have to obsess over plotting or run dialogue in my head when I’m in the shower, driving, or lying in bed. The script-in-progress no longer haunts me like a fevered dream. I’m free. Free! For maybe another week or two at which point I really have to start thinking about season 4.

As you’re all aware, I have a 5 year plan for Dark Matter and so far, so good. In the words of the inimitable Hannibal Smith –

And this season’s has come together quite nicely. Congratulations to me. Now, time to move on to my fourth 13-episode plan.

Same time last year, I made a list of the arcs I wanted to explore in season 3. They were:

Ryo Ishida

The Blink Drive

The corporate war

The independent colonies

Dwarf Star

The alt. Marauder crew

In addition to a myriad of character arcs, revelations, and surprises.

Can’t wait for you to see what we have in store for you in season 3. Awaiting the official announcement of our premiere date and, while I can’t reveal it, I can tell you it’ll be sooner than you think!

Finally, I leave you with a Suji-related post. Me and my girl enjoying peanut butter –
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-83-of-91/

April 4, 2017

Video: Bar Isabel’s Basque Cake with Sherry Cream

Photos: Dark Matter, John Stead, Ivon Bartok, Mark Askwith

Hey, eagle-eyed Dark Matter fans. Can you identify what’s going on in the above still? If you can, you have the inside step on figuring out a late-season 11th hour surprise.

Well, if it isn’t Dark Matter stunt coordinator and 2nd unit director John Stead, fresh off directing our Die Hard episode which includes an epic one on one multi-level Raza underbelly fight sequence that took an entire day to shoot. As I mentioned in a previous entry, John has fast become one of my favorite directors – and this Stead actioner will undoubtedly have you slotting him into your top three as well.

Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown. Pictured above: Co-Executive Producer Ivon Bartok – crownless and well-rested.

A little something from the VFX archives = Alicia Reynaud’s ship. Early concept work on this ship – and more – at artist Jon Hrubesch’s site here: http://www.jonhrubesch.com/concept-art/

Well, if it isn’t Producer Mark Askwith from SpaceChannel, on set to do a few interviews. We go way back. Between questions about Dark Matter’s third season, I reminisced about the old days when our Canadian broadcaster pulled out all the stops to promote Stargate: Universe.

Hey, who’s up for a little episode title voting? I’ve got some terrific choices for Episode 310. In fact, a few too many. It’s going to be tough to whittle them down to a mere three.

This weekend, it’s Part 2 of our Toronto Dessert Tour! We’ll only be hitting four places, but we will be sampling a broader selection of delectables.

One dessert we won’t be trying out on this outing, but which I heartily recommend, is Bar Isabel’s Basque Cake with Sherry Cream that… Ah, instead of explaining it, why don’t I just show you:
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-84-of-91/

April 5, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter, Greg Whiteside, Bruce McDonald, Ron Murphy, Suji

On the Raza mess triptych this morning, compliments of Dark Matter playback operator Greg Whiteside – another SF classic.

And, hey, it’s Dark Matter playback operator Greg Whiteside.

Director Bruce McDonald – always a blast on set.

Director Ron Murphy snapping me snapping him snapping me snapping him snapping me…

Construction begins on “the shipyard”.

The costume department wants to incorporate these into some wardrobe in season 4. They’re beetle shells.

No. Really.

Okay. Episode 310 title poll. Tomorrow for sure!

In the meantime, here’s the picture of Suji to tie you over…
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-day-85-of-91/

April 6, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter

I’d like to kick off this entry with a shout-out to this show’s biggest supporters. Well, next to the fans of course, there are no greater friends to Dark Matter than the folks at NBC Universal International/Syfy International. They have gotten behind our little series in a big way, tirelessly promoting us from the very beginning, taking the time to come visit our sets, regularly complimenting the production. The latter may seem like no big deal but I can assure you, as someone who has worked in this industry for many, many years, it is the exception not the rule.

They have been kind, complimentary, and very creative in their approach to not only getting the word out about the show, but producing extra content for the fans. This season, for instance, they’re spearheading a certain project I can’t talk about yet – but you’re all going to love. But more on that in the coming months. Right now, a big Dark Matter thank you to –

Steve Patscheck – EVP Programming NBC Universal Networks International, NBC Universal

Mehari Noori – TV & VR Productions/Acquisitions, NBC Universal

Bipasha Gosh – VP International Marketing Syfy, NBC Universal

Kristin Mente – Production Manager, NBC Universal

Catherine New – Head of PR, NBC Universal Networks International, NBC Universal

Andrea Reyes – Associate Producer, NBC Universal

Abby Plante – Researcher, NBC Universal

Janine Hogan – Researcher, NBC Universal

It continues to be a pleasure working with you all!

Now, help me name another Dark Matter episode, willya?

Cast your vote for one of the following:

Polls close in 24 hours!

Well, THIS…

…is coming along nicely!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X