Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February 8, 2007

William Heap writes: “Joe, I've seen both First Strike and Bounty now, and can't fathom how the same writing team could possibly put out both. […]. First Strike restored my faith in the franchise yesterday, only to have it savagely struck down by Bounty this morning. […] Help me understand, because I don't know whether to laugh or cry.”

Answer: Laugh during Bounty and cry after First Strike. Well, that was the plan anyway.

Peter writes: “When does shooting for Season 4 of Atlantis start?”

Answer: We start prep for season 4 in the last week of February and begin shooting the first week of March.

Mike writes: “Why did you guys came up with a new enemy from outside our galaxy for season nine? […] I personally would find it interesting to explore the aftermath of the goa'uld downfall and the several factions trying to come to power. The Lucian alliance could have been a formidable foe like the Genii of Stargate Atlantis. Plus the many people who might still follow the Goa'uld as gods could also be great to explore.”

Answer: Given the fact that we defeated two of our major villains (the goa’uld and the replicators) and said goodbye to series regular Richard Dean Anderson in season eight, the decision was made to introduce a new villain (the Ori), along with some new regulars, as a means of reinvigorating the Stargate franchise and creating a new beginning of sorts. The idea was to fashion a major story arc focused on this new threat, but to also tell stories that explored our post-goa’uld galaxy. The Lucian Alliance was originally imagined as a coalition of mercenaries that would prove a dangerous wildcard in SG-1’s battle against the Ori army. In the end, it didn’t exactly pan out as I had hoped.

Sgeureka writes: “Can you say whether you or the other producers have been approached yet to do DVD audio commentaries for seasons 10 and 3?”

Answer: Sure I can. This Monday, Paul and I provided DVD commentary for Family Ties and Memento Mori. Paul did the Quest II commentary with Andy Mikita, while I joined Andy for the commentaries on Quest I, Morpheus, and Counterstrike.

February 9, 2007

[I snipped Joe's story about a Japanese restaurant and the effect on the Stargate producers, and his last phone conversation with his mom about Stargate. This time, the question-answer part was also a little too long for gw forum rules and was in parts also not really informative (IMO!), so I'll just post the news-worthy question-answers here and link to the rest.]

[...]
    Anonymous #2 writes: “I watched Bounty this evening - how right would I be on the assumption that you guys filmed the reunion parts at a highschool named Frank Hurt Secondary in Surrey?”

Answer: I don’t recall the name of the school, but it was definitely in Surrey.

Craig writes: “I'm just wondering if you guys were planning on introducing a reasonably powerful/organized Pegasus Galaxy based ally?”

Answer: Funny you should ask. We’ll be introducing a new “big picture” player in season four. As to whether they’re friend or foe - well, that remains to be seen.

Pitry writes: “What makes you guys decide whether a story is going to be a one parter or a two/ three/ arc parter?”

Answer: It depends entirely on the story. More often than not, we go in with the idea that we want to do a two-parter, then come up with a big event worthy of two hours of television (ie. The Ancients return to Atlantis, SG-1‘s quest for the sangraal). Occasionally, we’ll come up with an idea that we may think worthy of a couple of episodes, sometimes more. The Dark Daniel arc, for instance, was initially envisioned as a possible 6 episode arc (with two episodes in which Daniel would be M.I.A. following events of Quest II which would have been a part of this arc). In the end, it was decided that it might be too long, so the decision was made to trim the arc down to four episodes.
    [...]
    [b]Amy: “I know you "guys" take a break. Is that looking like it will happen in July this year? Hopefully not June?”

Answer: Looks like June it is.
    [...]
    Anonymous #5: “ Joe, given the way things went with SG-1, do you guys, TPTB, regret not using RDA's five episodes on SG-1?”

Answer: Not at all. He did a terrific job on Atlantis. Besides, any ratings boost he may have given SG-1 would have been negligible as, sadly, the show had already been canceled.

Anonymous #6: “On a different subject, is the business case there yet where you could sell directly to the viewer on something like the itunes model and skip the networks ether with a new series or an existing one like SG1?”

Answer: I don’t know. It looks like t.v. will eventually go that way. “When?” is the question.
    [..]
    Michelle: “Is there any chance Michael Shanks will do the DVD commentary for The Shroud?”

Answer: It’s possible. But I suspect it would depend on Michael’s availability.

GB writes: “I was watching Misbegotten yesterday, and I was just wondering if you were responsible for the "John Sheppard, are you defending my honor?" line?”

Answer: Thank my writing partner Paul for that one.

Marla also writes: “Do you just mean that the Lucian Alliance thing didn't exactly pan out as you had hoped […] or did you mean the Ori and the Lucian Alliance thing?

Answer: It had nothing to do with the Ori and everything to do with the Lucian Alliance who I felt, ended up being more comical than threatening.

Anonymous #6 writes: “Is there any truth to the latest talk that Torri will be in only four episodes of season four?”

Answer: At present, we’re not talking about a specific or set amount of episodes.
    [...]
    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Thanks, sgeureka, for posting these for us.
      sigpic

Comment

Since we were "revealing" our true names somewhere above, I'm "Peter", the guy who asked about when Season 4 shooting starts.

Comment

Dwayne=me!!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            Since we were "revealing" our true names somewhere above, I'm "Peter", the guy who asked about when Season 4 shooting starts.
            Originally posted by Unamed View Post
            Dwayne=me!!
            *waves*

Hi Peter and Dwayne. I'm Mary Beth.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
              February 8, 2007

William Heap writes: “Joe, I've seen both First Strike and Bounty now, and can't fathom how the same writing team could possibly put out both. […]. First Strike restored my faith in the franchise yesterday, only to have it savagely struck down by Bounty this morning. […] Help me understand, because I don't know whether to laugh or cry.”
              What was wrong with Bounty?

Comment

Hello Mary Beth!

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka View Post
                  February 8, 2007

Craig writes: “I'm just wondering if you guys were planning on introducing a reasonably powerful/organized Pegasus Galaxy based ally?”

Answer: Funny you should ask. We’ll be introducing a new “big picture” player in season four. As to whether they’re friend or foe - well, that remains to be seen.
                  This sounds good! Atlantis needs a good ally. Hopefully it WILL be an ally and not another enemy.

Comment

Anonymous #6 writes: “Is there any truth to the latest talk that Torri will be in only four episodes of season four?”

Answer: At present, we’re not talking about a specific or set amount of episodes.
                    [...]
                    Considering that Weir is a regular, uh, was a regular, and they don't know what they're doing with her, but do know that they're going to put Carter in 14 episodes, is a sad statement on the planning/writing for the show.

Annika writes: “If she [Keller] is supposed to be some kind of genius (what another one?) then I have to say that is a bit too much. Isn't it enough to have Rodney (and the way it now looks also Sam)?”

Answer: I don’t know about “genius”, but Keller is certainly at the top of her field like Rodney and Carter - and pretty much the rest of the Atlantis personnel. The expedition is made up of the best and the brightest so the fact that Keller is young and, yes, brilliant shouldn’t come as that much of a surprise.

is the last question he answered.

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                      This sounds good! Atlantis needs a good ally. Hopefully it WILL be an ally and not another enemy.
                      Beter not be another enemy. THe asusrans were just replicators from SG1 (boring) and it's really a shame when you see better wraith development in comic books than on the show, so the writers need to get cracking.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        Beter not be another enemy. THe asusrans were just replicators from SG1 (boring) and it's really a shame when you see better wraith development in comic books than on the show, so the writers need to get cracking.
                        They're prolly aiming more towards what they tried achieving with the Genii/ Lucian ALliance - a wild card. Let's jsut hope they'll realise their mistakes frmo the LA and make a competent wild card...
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                          What was wrong with Bounty?
                          The audio/video sync is off!!! at least on my version of it.

take it as you will people.
                          sigpic

Comment

I hope you don't mind if I copy the newest blog here:

February 11, 2007
                            Arctic Goddess writes: “If you were given unlimited time and an unlimited budget with any guests that you wanted and no recommendations from a network to alter any details of a story, what kind of episode for Stargate or Atlantis would you write?”

Answer: To be honest, I’m telling a number of the stories I’ve wanted to tell in season four of Atlantis. Check out Reunion, Travelers, and the late-season two-parter.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Joe, can you tell us anything about Sanctuary?”

Answer: Absolutely nothing.

Arctic Goddess also writes: “Have you ever mentored a beginning writer? If so, what did you tell them? What would you give for advice for a beginning writer?”

Answer: Alas, I don’t have time for mentoring. I have, however, offered the following advice to novice writers: Write a spec (sample) script of a show you enjoy. Query agents and find out if they’d be willing to read your spec. Hopefully, your writing will impress, you’ll acquire an agent, and he/she will help you get your foot in the door. That’s the longshot way of going about it. A much easier way: Write a spec (sample) of an animation series you enjoy. Query animation studios - where the demand for writers is greater - and ask them if you can pitch for one of their shows. Send them your spec. If you’re invited to pitch, do your homework, come up with no more than 3-5 great pitches, and see how it goes. Breaking into animation is a lot easier than breaking into live action. It offers the novice writer an opportunity to make money, hone his/her craft, and hopefully make the leap to action eventually.

Anonymous #2 writes: “…I was wondering if maybe you guys had considered writing a big, huge, enormous crossover episode with SG-1?”

Answer: We have. The only thing holding us back isn’t creative but financial.

Miho writes: “…Does that mean less Wraith stories than in season 3? And are they actually still a serious threat?”

Answer: Our relationship with the wraith will take an interesting/alarming/unexpected turn. And, yes, they’ll continue to prove themselves a very serious threat.
                            "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

*waves back* Hi Mary Beth

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                                The audio/video sync is off!!! at least on my version of it.
                                That has got nothing to do with the show -- it just means you need a different version, or update your player/codec.
                                Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                                Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                                -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Working...
                                X