Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-getting-told/

November 11, 2017

I fell asleep on the couch and napped for two hours today.

I’m getting more forgetful.

I pulled something doing lunges two weeks ago and now my inability to cut has diminished my confidence in my ability to play the corner position.

Instead of doubling its character limit, I really feel twitter would have been better served by adding an edit function instead.

I prefer the smaller model iPhones instead of the new ones that come with their own backpacks.

My french bulldog Lulu is getting heavier to carry around, but she’s not really getting any heavier.

I find club-decibel level music in retail stores annoying.

The most accessed function on my iPhone is the flashlight app which I use to read restaurant menus.

I think the 2000 and 2003 X-Men movies are far superior to pretty much any Marvel movie produced since (with the possible exception of Deadpool).

Watching Avengers: Age of Ultron was, for me, like watching somebody else play video games for three excruciating hours.

My favorite incarnation of Spiderman remains Gerry Conway’s run on Amazing Spiderman (#111-149).

My “pajamas” consist of a pair of comfy fleece pants and varied anime-themed t-shirts.

I am constantly frustrated by the limit of my laptop’s screen-brightening ability.

I no longer even feign interest in people who dislike dogs.

My bedtime has gotten increasingly earlier as I make time to read before going to sleep. But once a night, I will get out of bed to go downstairs and watch Monday Night Football.

I drink chamomile tea at night

I remember a time before eco-friendly appliances, when dishwashers would actually get all your dishes and cutlery clean – in less than an hour!

I still open doors for people, strike up conversations with complete strangers, and hold the elevator rather than pretend to look away while surreptitiously hitting the “close” button.

I’ve come to the understanding that whiskey isn’t necessarily something you usually enjoy in company.

I’m getting more forgetful.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...with-the-dogs/

November 12, 2017

Photos: Lulu, Suji, Joe Mallozzi

Lulu (10), and Suji (12) may be old timers, but what they lack in mobility they more than make up for in spirit and appetite.

This week, we dropped them of with our new dogsitter, Cynthia, for the day. Step #1 complete. In a couple of weeks, Step #2 will see us drop them off for an overnight stay. If all goes well, we move on to Step #3: Akemi and I go to New York for a couple of days. And, if that goes swimmingly, it’s Japan in January for Le Salon de Chocolat!

The new guests = Lulu and Suji

Lulu discovers a comfy bed.

Suji, as usual, squeezes in.

And ends up squeezing Lulu out – also, as usual.

In preparation for the wintry months ahead, Akemi and I have borrowed a red wagon from our friend Gosia who used to use it wheel around her adorable pug Lucy. We tested it by taking them out for a ride a couple of days ago and the dogs loved it!

And awaaaaaay we go! (Photos courtesy of our friend Nicole).

Alright, I’m off to give them a bath. Wish me luck!

P.S. The latest from Suji’s instagram (click here). 11,700+ followers and counting!
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nough-at-last/

November 13, 2017

There are time when I feel like Henry Bemis in the Twilight Zone episode “Time Enough at Last”. The episode focuses on Henry, a bank teller played by Burgess Meredith, who is constantly prevented from doing the one thing he loves most: read. One day, during his lunch break, he retreats to the bank’s vault to get some reading in, only to be knocked unconscious by a concussive blast. He awakens and exits the vault to discover humanity has been wiped out but, in a fortuitous stroke, the public library is still standing. Henry is delighted and, after sorting through countless books and compiling a huge stack, he prepares to get started – only to stumble and break his glasses, preventing him from doing the one thing he loves most of all.

Anyway, not to make too much of it, but there are times when I feel like Henry Bemis. Despite my crazy production schedule for much of the year (I do some of my best reading between set-ups and before turning in for the night), I managed to set a pretty torrid reading pace this year. I figured the show’s cancellation would allow me to get even more reading in but the truth is I’ve been as busy these last couple of months than I was working on Dark Matter’s third season. Still, it looks like I’ll surpass my record of 185 books read in 2014 as I just finished my 185th book of 2017, American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in the Vanishing Land, a terrific work of non-fiction about the serial arsonists who plagued Accomack County, Virginia back in the fall of 2012. A great read. Sure, on the surface it looks impress, but truth is a good 15% of those 185 titles were graphic novels or novellas.

But looking ahead to composing my list of Best Books of 2017 (which specifically covers books published in 2017, as opposed to my Best Reads of 2017 which covers a more expansive list of books I happened to read in the 2017 calendar year), I realized I really need to pull up my bootstraps if I want to to weigh in with an informed opinion. By my count, of the 185 books I’ve read to date, a mere 67 were published in 2017, and 9 of them were graphic novels. Pretty sad.

In order to expedite things ahead of my spring Best Books of 2017 blog entry (I give myself some leeway to catch up on those late December titles), I put together a list of 2017 titles I still need to get around to between now and said blog entry. The list so far, in no particular order:
        The Lucky Ones by Julianne Pachico

Homesick for Another World by Otessa Moshfegh
        Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood
        The Force by Don Winslow
        The Animators by Kayla Rae Whitaker
        Redfire: A Red Peace by Spencer Ellsworth
        Noumenon by Marina J. Lostetter
        The Cutaway by Christina Kovac
        The River at Night by Erica Ferencik
        Redemption Road by John Hart
        The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka
        The Lightning Men by Thomas Mullen
        A Man of Shadows by Jeff Noon
        Age of Assassins by RJ Barker
        Words on a Bathroom Wall by Julia Watson
        The Stolen Child by Lisa Carey
        Skullsworn by Brian Staveley
        Ferocity by Nicola Lagioia and
        Dark Chapter by Winnie M Li
        The Man in the Tree by Sage Walker
        The Acolyte by Nick Cutter
        My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
        The Unseen World – Liz Moore
        She Rides Shotgun – Jordan Harper
        Spaceman of Bohemia, Jaroslav Kalfar
        Quicksand, Malin Persson Giolito
        The Widow of Wall Street, Randy Susan Meyers
        Down City, Leah Carroll
        Book of American Martyrs, Joyce Carol Oates
        Sycamore, Bryn Chancellor
        Startup, Doree Shafrir
        The Destroyers, Christopher Bollen
        Grief Cottage, Gail Godwin
        Strange Contagion, Lee Daniel Kravetz
        To Be A Machine, Mark O’Connell
        The Unit, Ninni Holmquist
        My Absolute Darling, Gabriel Tallent
        If The Creek Don’t Rise, Leah Weiss
        A Kind of Freedom, Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
        Caca Dolce, Chelsea Martin
        Reincarnation Blues, Michael Poore
        Killers of the Flower Moon – David Grann
        Bunk – Kevin Young
        Improvement – Joan Silber
        Whew! Read any of the aforementioned? Thoughts? Are there any I should move to the top of the list? Others I should move down? Let’s hear it, fellow readers!
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...lice-of-pizza/

November 14, 2017

We were walking back from my favorite pizza joint, Superpoint on Ossington, last night when we were approached by a somewhat disheveled looking man. “Do you have twenty-five cents for food?”he asked. I recognized him as the same guy we’d passed not two hours earlier on our way to the restaurant.

“Offer him the pizza,”suggested Ivon.

Great idea, I thought.

“Hey!”I called after the man who was already shuffling off. “Want some pizza?” I held up the box of leftovers.

The man stopped and started back at me, stunned, as though I’d just spoken to him in German. A beat and then, with a double wave of his hand, he exhorted me to: “Enjoy. Enjoy.” before continuing on his way.

Hunh. I thought it odd but, not two blocks later, we were approached again, this time by a somewhat disheveled looking woman. “Do you have a dollar for food?”she asked.

“Would you like some pizza?”I offered.

Brow furrowed, she frowned. “No.” Then turned and walked off.

As I watched her go, I couldn’t help but marvel. What are the chances of running into back to back gluten-intolerant transients?

Hey, thanks to those of you who weighed in with reading recommendations. Since uploading yesterday’s list, I started a new book and am about a third of the way through RJ Barker’s Age of Assassins, a terrific fantasy novel about an apprentice assassin tasked with going undercover in a royal court so he can identify and stop another assassin from murdering the young, obnoxious king-in-waiting.

In addition to yesterday’s book list, I need to generate a whole other list for graphic novels. I’ve been presented with a couple of great opportunities to adapt some titles to the small screen and was wondering what YOUR favorites are? No DC or Marvel as they’re already spoken for. Also, as much as Saga rocks, I think it’s unproducable and just perfection in its comic book form.

Also, along these lines, if you’ve got an anime series that you think would make a great live action series (Randomness, I’m sure you’ll have a few suggestions), I’d like to hear them as well!
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...e-the-artwork/

November 15, 2017

Photos: Comic books

It’s Wednesday and you know that means?! That’s right. It’s New Comics Day!

I no longer get down to my local comic shop as often as I’d like but, fortunately, my comixology membership allows me to keep up with all of the latest releases (and back issues!), purchase those that catch my interest, and even lets me preview the first few pages of each new issue.

I’ve always loved comic books but, the truth is, with so many titles out there and the oft maddeningly confusing crossovers and big events, it’s hard to keep track. Sure, I have my regular go-to’s but, sometimes, it’s nice to make a new discovery. Usually, this is a result of my wanting to check out an admired writer or favorite character, or, occasionally, being drawn to an intriguing premise. Every so often, however, it’s the art – specifically the cover art that piques my interest. I know, I know. Never judge a book by its cover. Certainly, appreciate the artwork, let it lead you into a new book and, once you’ve appreciated the whole package, THEN judge. But if the cover art catches your eye, why not reward the artist with a purchase?

Here is the first installment of what may (or may not) be a regular blog feature. My Favorite Comic Book Covers of the week:

Star Wars: Darth Vader #8 (cover art by Giuseppe Camuncoli)

I don’t read Star Wars comics. Hell, I haven’t seen a Star Wars movie since halfway through Return of the Jedi. But this is one bad-ass cover with our stripped down Vader looking very zen in the face of a fiery planetary object, his dark accoutrements foreground prisoners of gravity.

Aquaman #30 (cover art by Stjepan Sejic)

Squint and slightly blur your perception, and it’s almost like Jason Momoa is staring back at you through the prison-like bars of Arthur Curry’s trident.

The Mighty Thor #701 (cover art by Russel Dautermann)

I like the way this one play with depth and perception, the fuzzy, unfocused background image of the nameless creature walking way; the shockingly crisp image of a shattered Mjolnir lying abandoned on Bifrost. And, hey, is that blood?!

Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan #2 (cover art by Declan Shalvey)

All the action is left justified, our anti-heroes facing off, blades vs. blades, as their turning structure crumbles and gives way to a prevailing stark white nothingness.

Descender #26 (cover art by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen)

Along those same lines, there’s this minimalist cover that nevertheless conveys so much. Have you ever seen a lonelier looking robot?

Maestros #2 (cover art by Steve Stroce)

On the other side of the spectrum is this audaciously detailed masterpiece that mixes magic, tech, and elements of horror.

The Realm #3 (cover art by Nick Filardi, Jeremy Haun, Kelly Jones, Michelle Madsen)

Speaking of horror, even if you don’t partake in the genre, you have to give it up for this eerie illustration that does a terrific job of evoking a sense of mounting dread through color and light. And, oh yeah, that skull-sporting dude advancing on us.
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-shout-outs/

November 16, 2017

Video: How to Buy a Baby

Photos: Suji, The Last Days of Earth

Ideally, I’d like my next show to be either an anime, comic book, novel adaptation – or one featuring dogs in pajamas.

Akemi, meanwhile, has been hard at work designing for her upcoming Suji-themed lapel pin and badge line.

A few shout-outs are in order today:

Marc Bendavid, Dark Matter’s ONE, stars in a new webseries.

How to Buy a Baby is the story of an infertile couple that struggles to conceive with the help of a doctor. And a nurse. And a financial planner. And unsolicited advice from everyone they know.

The six episode miniseries is available to stream online. Check out Episode 1:

ZNation creator Craig Engler has a new project in the works. Check out the link for info on how you can support it:

The Last Days of Earth
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...usy-for-tapas/

November 17, 2017

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Akemi, dinner at Bar Raval

While I may not be as busy as I was while Dark Matter was in production, I find myself surprisingly busy for someone without a show to run. Most of my days are spent reading comic books and reviewing anime…for work! In addition, I’ve got a little over a half dozen “things” percolating, from being hired to co-develop and write the pilot for a new sci-fi project to angling on four different book-to-screen adaptations. Throw in a couple of very intriguing showrunning opportunities and let’s call it a year. Decisions, decisions. Cannot wait to share the details – and head back into production.

No, scratch that. I can wait a little longer. Enjoying the first real vacation I’ve had in…oh, about 20 years.

Being suddenly free for lunch and dinners has given me the opportunity to enjoy – well, what else? – more lunches and dinners. Recently, we hit up our favorite place for tapas, Bar Raval, with our friend Nicole Tsang (who took all of the following snaps).

The happy (albeit slightly suspicious) couple.

Order from the menu, but always check out the bar for the daily additions.

Akemi’s favorite – the torta (which is like an Italian frittata and all sorts of delicious).

From their conserva section: mackerel and scallops.

The morcilla.

Crispy eggplant with honey.

Croquetas.

And, for dessert, one of everything – as is the custom! Well, the custom when you’re dining with yours truly.

If you’re in town, check it out!

Okay, back to the graphic novels!
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-the-scenes/

November 18, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter – behind the scenes

Some behind the scenes photos from the set of Dark Matter‘s third season, compliments of Mean Jean Brophey:

Jean and Anthony from the pilot episode for their buddy cop show.

Downtown at the Ishida Palace.

Our kooky emperor.

Mmmmm. What’s cooking?

Director J.B. Sugar’s red carpet walk.

Grant Boyle in the infirmary for his annual check-up.

Second team: Alyssa Pawlak and Matt Purdy.

First team: Melissa O’Neil and Anthony Lemke.

Jesse Partin grabs some shut-eye between set-ups.

Assassin down in the palace.
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-matter-vault/

November 19, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter

Courtesy of Mean Jean Brophey!

Matt Purdy, Jozie Conte, and Kelly Anastasiou – behind the scenes on EOS-7.

Bits and pieces – Episode 304, “All the Time in the World”

Turn off the damn light! Can’t you see Mishka Thebaud is trying to sleep here!

Ready to shoot – Episode 304, “All the Time in the World”.

Our little lady, laid up.

Checking out the weekend weather updates between scenes.

Andrew Moodie (aka Teku Fonsei) = Dinner for one.

Lisa Amaral Wright with the last minute check on the day’s munition facility menu.

Dave Sheridan sets up his next shot from afar.

Anthony Lemke is exhausted after a long day’s shoot.
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...7-knock-knock/

November 20, 2017

In the almost eight years she’s been living in Canada, Akemi has mastered many aspects of western culture – its unreliable transportation system, the English language, Beef Wellington – but there’s one uniquely North American oddity she’s yet to grasp: the knock-knock joke. And yet, despite her repeated failures to fully grasp its nuanced set-up and delivery, she keeps trying. Like last night, when she insisted we, once again, go down the knock-knock route. After some reluctance, owing in large part to the fact that my storehouse of knock-knock jokes is almost bare, I conceded. The results were, if not exactly predictable, certainly not that surprising –

“Knock knock,”I said.

“Who’s there?”she asked.

“Boo,”I said.

“Who’s boo?”she asked.

I sighed and explained to her that the correct phrasing of her response should be “Boo hoo?”, thus setting up the classic follow-up: “You don’t have to cry about it.”

A realization seemed to dawn. “So you have to think of something that ends in hoo?”

“Well no – ”

“Like tofu,”she said, pronouncing the “fu” in tofu as she often does, with an “f” so soft it could be misinterpreted for a “hu”. “Or kung-hu?”

“No – ”

“Knock knock,”she said.

“Who’s there?”

“Toe.”

“Toe who?”

She frowned. “It doesn’t really make sense. A better way would be – knock knock?”

“Who’s there?”I asked.

“Something soft,”she replied. “And then you guess tofu. You see?”

Yeah. No. I tried again: “Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Lettuce.”

“Lettuce who?”

“Lettuce in! It’s cold out here?”

She frowned. “Why lettuce?”

“Because lettuce in it’s cold out here.”

She started back at me, genuinely mystified. “That’s not a joke.” Uncomprehending: “That’s funny? That’s not funny. I think my kung-fu joke you didn’t like is better.” And then, after some consideration, a sigh of resignation. “The knock-knock joke – it’s very hard to nail it.”

I don’t even want to get her started on puns.
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-books-robots/

November 21, 2017

Videos: Robots

Photos: Thinking emoji, Carl Binder

Recently, much of my days are spent reading, writing, and in creative discussions over the phone, via email, or while enjoying double chocolate mochas. Again, the plan was to take time off, travel, catch a bunch of matinees, but the opportunities that have presented themselves have proven too intriguing to pass up. Besides, in this business you just never know. One day you can be juggling a half dozen slam-dunk prospects and, the next, you can be wondering where it all went. Suffice it to say, it’s always a good idea to have more than a few balls in the air. It’s always not a bad idea to diversify your creative portfolio. With 350+ hours of television to my credit as a produce (100+ hours as a writer), most of it in the sci-fi realm, I’m more than happy to field offers in that particular arena. On the other hand, if the prospect of working in another genre (fantasy, horror, crime) presented itself, I’d be delighted to pursue.

Considering the various tangible prospects that have recently crossed my desk (everything from materials forwarded for review to participatory deals), and accounting for crossover in certain categories, they break down as follows:

SF: 50+%

Horror: 20%

Fantasy: 10%

Comic book-related: 25%

Adaptations: 67%

A lot of very interesting stuff that has kept me very busy of late.

BUT not too busy to keep me from my reading! I’m pleased to report that of the 44 (2017 release) titles I listed on my blog last week, I’ve managed to read five (3 very good,1 okay, and 1 excellent) and abandoned one after a hundred pages. Only 39 more to go!

While the poop emoji is the new hot thing and Akemi is all about the hearts, the thinking emoji is far and away my favorite because it reminds me of my former Stargate cohort Carl Binder

Oh, hey! The Robopocalypse is upon us!
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ber-20th-2017/

November 22, 2017

Photos: Comic Book Covers

Another Wednesday brings us another vast selection of great comic books to discover and, with it, a slew of fantastic comic book covers worth noting. These were my favorites –

Black Panther #167 (cover art by Brian Stelfreeze)

The Klaw’s sonic emitter offers a simultaneous yet alternating glimpse at both the murderous master of sound and Black Panther, the Wakandan protector. Gorgeous yet very clever in its efficiency, I love the in-your-face boldness of this cover.

Star Wars: Darth Vader #9 (cover art by Jim Cheung)

Another week, another Star Wars: Darth Vader cover, this one illustrated by Jim Cheung. I’ll admit to a certain childhood affinity for the character and this cover, with its stirring blacks and reds illuminated by the blinding white heat of the light saber, reawakens the love I held for this franchise.

God Complex #2 (cover art by Hendry Prasetya)

There’s a slick, stylistic weirdness to Prasetya’s cover art, a surprisingly complimentary melding of disparate worlds: humanity and technology. Gold and greys mark the sleek cybernetic marriage of realism and alien incongruity.

Gung Ho #1 (cover art by ?)

Representing the small press is this title from Red Fox Comics that offers up a delightful weird amalgamation of gorilla, grenades, and banana. It all hints at a hyper-realistic over-the-top fun but I’ll be damned if that gorilla doesn’t look mighty peeved.

Gung Ho #1 (cover art by ?)

Representing the small press is this title from Red Fox Comics that offers up a delightful weird amalgamation of gorilla, grenades, and banana. It all hints at a hyper-realistic over-the-top fun but I’ll be damned if that gorilla doesn’t look mighty peeved.

Luke Cage #167 (cover art by Rahzza)

Check out this hypnotic cover by single-named artist, Rahzza, with its center shocks of vibrant colors against a double-hued purple backdrop.

Optimus Prime #13 (cover art by Kei Zama)

Full admission: I have never owned a Transformers toy, watched a Transformers movie, or read a Transformers book in my life, but I’ve got to give it up to artist Kei Zama’s bad-ass low angle shot of our towering heroes. They are the good guys, right?

Star Wars #39 (cover art by David Marquez)

It’s hard not to see the beauty in this admittedly unnerving character design by David Marquez, another glorious confluence of man, machine, and unknown other.

Swordquest #5 (cover art by Goni Montes)

Love the way this one plays with light and shadow, the advancing primaries bathed in that background darkness. The blue skin tone is a delightfully creepy touch.

The Beautiful Death #3 (cover art by Mathieu Bablet)

Strange as it sounds, there is a certain sense of comfort in the underlying herbaceousness to Mathieu Bablet’s post apocalyptic vision that contrasts the death of glass and steel with the rebirth of nature. And, at the heart of it, two lonely figures gaze out on the seemingly empty world.

The Shadow #4 (cover art by Lee Weeks)

This one captures an infinitesimal instant of flow and fury, the train streaking out of the tunnel, The Shadow making the leap to board, guns in hand, his trailing crimson cape the single punctuation of colorful in a world of black and white.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War #4 (cover art by David Sondred)

Big-ass gun? Check. Big-ass battle suit? Check. Blood red foreground palette backed by the smoked-out greys of destruction? Check-check. I’m not exactly sold on that modesty curtain cover…what exactly? His nuts and bolt?…but otherwise a very cool character design.
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...7-this-n-that/

November 23, 2017

Photos: Suji, Lulu, Akemi's doggy measurements, Kaka restaurant, marzipan, football

Quick, get in! Next stop = Slumber Land!

Hey, if you’re thinking of making our dogs new outfits, Akemi offers up the following doggy measurements. I think she does a fairly good job of capturing Suji’s trademark wide-eyed wonder, and Lulu’s general furtiveness.

Who feels like kaka for dinner? Pardon me? Happened across this sign for a new Japanese restaurant a little while ago. Debatable name aside, not sure how a restaurant that has yet to open can claim to be the “No. 1 rated all-you-can-eat sushi in Toronto”. Who voted? Time-traveling nigiri-enthusiasts from the future?

I’m sure we can all agree that, next to politics and religion, there is no subject more controversial than marzipan. Its mere mention will incite a tirade so impassioned from my former writing partner you’d think almond paste had somehow played a role in the tragic passing of a loved one. I, on the other hand, love the stuff, so you can imagine my delight the other day when I happened upon a Danish Pastry House pop-up and discovered the above pictured delicacy – some unpronounceable North Germanic confection comprised of marzipan, chocolate, sliced almonds, and assorted umlauts. Delicious!

Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends. May you be as generous as the Mark Sanchez-led Jets offense, and as thankful as the New England Patriots defense five years ago today.
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ing-your-lead/

November 24, 2017

Photos: Movies

One of the nice things about not being in production (thanks again, Syfy) is the free time I now have to read, hang with the dogs and, of course, catch up on movies. There are a bunch of new releases I’m considering checking out, but I’m…unconvinced. So, please convince me – one way or the other: Should I go see these movies?

Blade Runner 2049

Reason to go see it: I loved the original.

Reason not to go see it: I loved the original. Also, it’s freakin’ 164 minutes long!

Justice League

Reason to go see it: After three seasons working with him on Stargate: Atlantis, I feel I owe it to Momoa to go see his movie.

Reason not to go see it: After the big, bloated DOA corpse of a movie that was Avengers: Age of Ultron, I’m very circumspect when it comes to superheroes on the big screen.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Reason to go see it: An intriguingly weird-looking.

Reason not to go see it: So was Mother.

Murder on the Orient Express

Reason to go see it: A great cast.

Reason not to go: Of all of Agatha Christie’s works, the ending to this one was perhaps the most unsatisfying.

Lady Bird

Reason to go see it: Great reviews.

Reason not to go see it: Doesn’t really look like my cup of tea.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Reason to go see it: That audacious title.

Reason not to go see it: I’ve heard little about it.

Thelma

Reason to go see it: Foreign genre entries are often unique and compelling (ie. Pan’s Labyrinth, The City of Lost Children).

Reason not to go see it: And, occasionally, plain awful (Pinocchio, High Tension).

Steer me right, people!
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...er-family-day/

November 25, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter

Apparently, it’s Dark Matter Family Day on twitter, so I’d like to take this opportunity to say hello and thanks to our extended Dark Matter family – cast, crew, production personnel, and fans. While others may conspire to keep us apart, it’s nice to see the familiar spirit that was the heart of the show still alive and well in all of you.

To those of you wondering, the production has read all your letters (in the end, upwards of 1000) and is in the process of sending out goodies to some lucky fans. Alas, I have no idea who they’ve chosen, so if you do receive something in the mail, let us know. Would love to know who got what!

It’s been a while since our last tweetstorm and I’ve been thinking it would be nice to have a little get-together before the holidays. I’m going to select a night the week of December 4th for a 1-2 hour Dark Matter (heck, maybe even Stargate)-themed Q&A on twitter. Over the course of those two hours, I’ll field all of your questions, offer up some behind the scenes pics and videos, and even offer up some never-revealed insights into the show’s creation, production, and what I had planned for the future. Did SIX really give up his life at the end of the third season finale? Given everything he did, how could the seemingly irredeemable Ryo Ishida possibly reintegrate into the crew? Who the heck were Kryden and Carina?

This event will be for our North American fans (and, of course, any other fans world-wide who are willing to stay up), but I’ll follow up with a similar event for our International fans so they don’t feel left out. So, if you’ve got some burning Dark Matter (and perhaps Stargate)-related questions, file them away. And stay tuned for more details on date and time!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X