Page 593 of 594 FirstFirst ... 93493543583590591592593594 LastLast
Results 11,841 to 11,860 of 11862

Default Re: Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-3/

November 1, 2017

Photos: Marc Bendavid, Miguel

“So what do you guys do?”asked our uber driver.

Joe here is a writer-producer,”said Marc.

“And my friend Mark here is an actor,”I added. “Do you watch t.v.?

“Yeah,”said the driver. “I love The Walking Dead.”

“Who’s your favorite character?”I asked.

“Rick.” And then, after careful consideration: “And Daryl.”

“Yeah, Daryl,”I agreed. “What about Game of Thrones?”

“Yeah,”he said, drawing it out, yeaaaaaaaaah, in a way that seemed to indicate it was an begrudging affirmative. And then he added: “But there’s another show I watch. It’s called Dark Matter…”

At which point Marc totally lost it, wondering aloud whether I’d set the whole thing up. Our bewildered driver glanced back, wondering what the hell was up.

Joe created Dark Matter,”Marc explained.

“And Marc here played the character of ONE.”

“Seriously?!” He could hardly believe it. “I’m about to start season 3.”

“Well I don’t know if you’d heard, but syfy cancelled us,”I informed him.

“What? Why?”

“Why else? They’re evil.”

Upon pulling up to our destination, we hopped out, took some group selfies, and then headed off to dinner.

It was a surreal start to a wonderful evening (as evenings in the company of the princely Marc Bendavid tend to be). I was treated to an incredible Italian meal – appetizers, pastas, and double dessert.

A greatly appreciated cap to a very busy day that saw me do for meetings AND run into actor Ronny Cox (Stargate: SG-1, Robocop, Deliverance, and many many more) at a local diner. Ronny is keeping as busy as ever – acting, performing his music, even writing. He mentioned RoboDoc, a fan-funded documentary celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Verhoeven classic. Watch for it!

Tomorrow – more meetings. And dinner with the awesome Robert Picardo.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-4/

November 2, 2017

Here’s my problem with Thai food = eatability. If I got out for any other type of cuisine, I’ll eat until I’m full. In the case of Thai cuisine, however, I’ll continue eating past full, beyond stuffed, and and a stop or two north of gorged. Such was the case this afternoon when I got together with actress Torri Higginson (Stargate: Atlantis, This Is Life, Dark Matter) for yet another culinary excursion. This time, we hit one of her favourites, Jitlada in Silver City, with its menu the size of a local phone book. “What do you feel like?”Torri asked me as we perused.

“Oh, you go ahead and choose between the the frog, eel, ox-tail or any of the other weirder dishes.”

She did not. Instead, we had eggplant with holy basil, soft shell crab and vegetables, and a curry crispy pork dish containing pork that may well have been crispy once but, by the time it was served swimming in curry, was anything but. Oh, and rice. We followed up lunch with dessert in the form of two Thai ice coffees.

It was near the end of my meal that I received an email from my agent’s office. My 3 pm meeting had been cancelled at the last minute. Was I upset? Hell, no! It was the equivalent to a snow day! I could just head back to the hotel and continue watching Stranger Things 2! Which I did. But first…

Torri took me to a nearby book shop specializing in graphic novels. There, I agonized over picking up a copy of Spinning, Tillie Walden’s well-reviewed graphic coming-of-age memoir about competitive ice skating. I’ve heard great things about it and was very tempted but, ultimately, decided against the purchase only because stuffing the book into my carry-on bag would have been the equivalent to forcing those last couple of servings of curry rice into my already jam-to-bursting belly. Hopefully, I’ll find it when I get back to Toronto.

Another day chock a block with meetings tomorrow and then, Saturday, I big L.A. adieu until time…which is looking like January when Vanessa and I return to pitch Masked to some interested parties!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-5/

November 3, 2017

Video: Suji

I’ve been a fan of Robert Picardo since back in his days at Star Trek: Voyager’s The Doctor, but I’ve become an even bigger fan of Bob’s over the years as I’ve gotten to know him. A terrific actor and equally terrific human being, he’s a good friend and someone I always make it a priority to catch up with whenever we happen to be in the same town. And such was the case last night when we got together at was has become our L.A. go-to, Spago, for pasta, roast chicken, those delicious little tuna cones, and the booziest sticky toffee cake I’ve ever had (with an extra scoop of vanilla ice cream to maintain that 1:1 cake to ice cream ratio).

In contrast, today’s diet consisted of a double chocolate mocha, a matcha latte, and the red velvet mini cupcake I was offered at my last meeting. Boy, am I looking forward to night’s dinner with Martin Gero and Carl Binder!

Another successful round of meetings today, marred only slightly by a late cancellation which afforded ultimately afforded me the opportunity to take a stroll through Beverly Hills. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this upscale neighbourhood is the street fashion. Today, I saw a guy walking around in what were, essentially, pyjamas. Three nights ago, I honestly couldn’t tell whether the people I passed were dressed for Halloween or just in their every day clothes.

Anyway, great meetings today, a favorite being my sit-down with DC Entertainment’s Dan Evans. Smart, pleasant and a veritable expert on everything from comic books to the SF, fantasy, horror, and crime thriller genres in general, he’s a guy I’d climb a mountain to work with.

Well, that’s a wrap on L.A. Tomorrow, I fly back to Akemi and the dogs. Here’s what I’ve been missing…

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...e-l-a-wrap-up/

November 4, 2017

Photos: Paul and Michelle Mullie, Robert Picardo, Joe Mallozzi

Last night, in addition to enjoying a spectacular meal at Osteria Mozza with Martin Gero, Carl Binder, and Paul and Michelle Mullie, I also got to practice my Japanese by breaking the news to two wayward young tourists that the Paul Smith store was a good 20-30 minute walk from our current location. “Chotto toei desu,”I broke the news.

“Nihon o yoku hanashimasu,”said one. “Jozu.”

“Jozu arimasen,”I replied. And then followed up with: “Heta no yoko zuki desu.” That always gets a laugh.

Anyway, great meal and great company. Martin Gero remains the Golden Boy. How busy is he? Would you believe he did an emergency scene rewrite between the panzanella and his ricotta and egg raviolo?

Some pics from my last days in L.A. –

Paul, Bob, and Michelle.

Paul and Michelle.

Me and Michelle!

All in all, a most productive trip. Met some great people and have a few more intriguing possibilities to add to the mix. Stay tuned!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-be-home-blog/

November 5, 2017

Photos: Lulu, Suji, Akemi

“Hmmmm. What should I write about today?”

“Nice To Be Home blog?”suggested Akemi. “Only if you feel that way.”

Ooooh. Pressure.

Yes, it’s great to be home. But for how long? And how long will Toronto be home?

Looks like I’ll be heading back down to L.A. in January to pitch Masked. Before then, I’ve got an SF series bible and script (I’ve been hired) to write, and a veritable mountain of material (books, scripts, overviews, and one-pagers) to review and consider across a variety of genres (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, thrillers, comics). The challenge is not so much in working my way through everything but in selecting what I want to focus on because so many of these properties are truly great.

And then, if I’m fortunate enough to attach myself to a pitch that does go to series, there’s the added uncertainty of not knowing where I’ll be shooting. Toronto, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Montreal, New York – they’re all possibilities. But it would be nice to get Japan in the running.

Tomorrow, I have a morning meeting regarding that horror property I’m VERY interested in pursuing.

Then, I get on the phone to discuss the schedule for that SF series bible and pilot. David and I have made great progress. Once we’ve nailed down the narrative and character arcs, we can start thinking about the pilot in advance of getting in the room with Writer X and beating out our story.

More details as they become available!

In the meantime, it’s nice to be home…

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ing-things-up/

November 6, 2017

Video: Bath Chili Festival

Photos: Scoville scale, chilis, powdered pepper

Back when I last visited Montreal, my sister gave me one of the greatest gifts ever: a bunch of Ghost Chilis and Carolina Reapers she’d grown in her garden. I love spicy. Very spicy. Even so, at roughly 1 million Scoville heat units, it proved a bit of a challenge. Tasty, but mind-numbingly hot despite the tiny slivered portions and bagel chasers. The Carolina Reaper, at roughly 2 million Scoville units, was just out of my league. There is hotter, but it’s weapons grade, better suited to crowd control than eating.

Still, inspired by my new haul, I returned home and immersed them in oil and garlic for a week, then oven dried them and ground them into a fine powder using my dedicated coffee pepper grinder. Then, I hit my local farmer’s market and picked up a few more tonsil-ticklers: scorpion chilis, habaneros, chocolate habaneros, fatalis, birds eye chilis, and, of course, those wimpy but no less tasty jalapeños. They all went into the oven at the very lowest setting for the better part of a day, and then each in turn took a spin in the grinder. The results were…magical.

I packed away each powdered pepper in tiny individual plastic containers – perfectly portable for all occasions, although I heeded Akemi’s advice and took the extra step of sealing them in individual poly-bags. I mean, next to dousing your pants with lighter and setting a match to them, I can’t imagine anything more unpleasant than a cracked container sprinkling scorpion chilis down the inner lining of your underwear during dinner.

The Wheel of Fire!

So how high up the Scoville Scale can you climb?

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-dark-council/

November 7, 2017

“Your writing partner likes to tweet.”

– Pointed observance made by an executive to my long-time writing/producing partner on his recent trip to L.A.

Well, yes and no. No insofar as I hate the 140 character limit and don’t really find twitter a suitable medium for relaying opinions and in-depth information outside of links. But yes in that it’s a terrific way to get the simple facts out like: “Dark Matter was one of Syfy’s most-watched scripted shows of 2017!”.

Still, very sweet of him to notice.

Which reminds me. Amidst all the thank you’s to cast and crew and fans, I neglected my extra special shout-out to the members of the Dark Council, the DM fans behind those Dark Matter FTL Drives that saw our little show trending weeks and days on end.

And so, thank you to…

Hilda Clark Bowen who put in many tireless hours amid the innumerable things she had to juggle in her own life.

Tom Gardiner who fought the good fight and, “coincidentally” had his syfy screener privileges revoked soon after writing an article critical of the show’s cancellation.

Kelli and Lance Zielinski, the dynamic duo and techy twosome who helped lay the groundwork for all those FTL Drives.

Syrine Epiome representing the overseas contingent with a wealth of ideas and some mighty marvelous artwork.

Lo Ren who helped keep the dream alive with some amazing graphics to drive the campaign.

Elise Cochrane, another member of Team Europe, who went above and beyond the call to help spread the word.

Thank you all.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...y-2014-2017-2/

November 8, 2017

Photos: The Dark Matter Whisky Club

In the three years I worked on Dark Matter, I made some wonderful friends and accomplished many great things, but one of my biggest take-aways from my time on the show was the impressive amount of knowledge and experience I garnered in the world of whiskies. It started back in season 1 after Blindspot Executive Producer Martin Gero gifted Paul and I two bottles of 18 year old Bunnahabhain. Paul, of course, took his bottle back to his hotel room and finished it, solitary style, over the course of a week. I, instead, elected to share my bottle with a few friends – Line Producer Norman Denver, Production Manager Robbie David, Assistant Director Brandon Tataryn, Script Coordinator Alison Hepburn, EP Assistant Elliot Sokolsky, and several others, forming what would become the Dark Matter Whisky Club.

Norman followed up by bringing in a bottle of his favorite 16 year old Lagavulin and, soon, others followed suit. Over the course of those three seasons, we sampled a variety of whiskies, from the simply superb to the truly terrible, averaging about 17 bottles a season. Whenever Norman sounded the wolf call, we all knew it was time and we gathered for our daily libation.

The Dark Matter Whisky Club – A Short Visual History (2014-2017:

A little something from Golden Boy Martin Gero to commemorate our first day of principal photography.

Archival photo of one of the very first meetings of the Dark Matter Whisky Club.

Director Amanda Tapping joins the club – Episode 104.

Director Ron Murphy joins our ranks – Episode 106.

Welcoming Director Bruce McDonald into the fold – Episode 109.

2nd A.D. Grant Boyle with his contribution – a little taste of home.

Actor Anthony Lemke becomes a member – Episode 109.

He later returns with his own contribution – a bottle of Prince Edward County’s finest.

While main unit is on the road, Whisky unit stays true – Elliot, Matti, Trevor, and Alison.

Director Ron Murphy returns for more whisky – and, oh yeah, to shoot another episode (109).

You can tell the club was in its infancy by how few empty bottles adorned the top of that shelving unit.

Executive Producer Paul Mullie comes for a visit, and a drink.

A youthful Brandon Tataryn comes bearing gifts.

And another little something from Mr. Boyle.

Director and Stunt Coordinator John Stead graces us with his presence – and a bottle of 17 year old Craigellachie.

Elliot unconvinced by The Glenrothes.

Trevor Finn presents: Basil Hayden’s and Old Rip Van Winkle.

Co-Executive Producer Ivon Bartok vs. Jura Superstition: Round 1.

Director Andy Mikita knows the drill.

Motoring through the season – and making progress on the whisky front.

The ranks continue to swell.

Visual Effect Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson with the assist from Dalwhinnie.

Celebrating the season 1 finale – and a season’s worth of whisky.

And that’s a wrap on season 1.

The after-party.

Season 2 resumes in force!

Pick your poison, and glassware.

Key Hair Renee Chan – Balvenie.

1st A.d. Chris Binney – Balvenie.

Director Amanda Tapping – Hibiki Harmony.

Script Coordinator Alison Hepburn – Angel’s Envy.

Key Grip Chris Toudy – Aultmore.

I am immortalized.

Director Jason Priestley in the mix – Episode 207.

He came prepared.

Director Andy Mikita’s two-handed return – Episode 208.

The ever dainty – Director Peter Deluise, Episode 209.

Not to be outdone.

Director Will Waring – pineapples and Dalwhinnie, Episode 212.

And that’s a wrap on season 2!

A toast to season 3!

Director Ron Murphy sets the tone.

And Robbie David follows up.

Actor Roger Cross with the Yamasaki.

John Stead sports a new look – and delivers a new bottle.

Season 3 nears and end.

Kicking back with the After Dark gang.

Saying goodbye to the production offices was hard, but bidding farewell to that veritable army of fallen soldiers was downright heartbreaking…

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rite-whiskeys/

November 9, 2017

Photos: Whisky

In the three years that the Dark Matter Whisky Club was in operation, 2014-2017, I sampled a wide variety of whiskeys, over a hundred in all. These were my favorites…

#10. WRITER’S TEARS

Appropriate, no? Line Producer Norman Denver contributed this ironic Irish entry, a blend of single malt and single pot-stilled whiskeys, triple-distilled and non-peated. My favorite Irish Whiskey.

Notes: Warm honey, fruit, vanilla and the long sweet finish of artistic anguish laced with leprechaun gold.

#9. LAGAVULIN 16

Another Norman Denver contribution, we enjoyed multiple bottles owing to the fact that it is, clearly, one of his favorites. I can drink Lophgraig, which my former writing partner, Paul, likens to smoking a pack of cigarettes, but the peatiness here is present without being overpowering.

Notes: Peat, pineapple, oak, and a touch of that leather belt you took off to go through airport security and subsequently didn’t realize you’d left behind until you’d already boarded your flight.

#8. NIKKA FROM THE BARREL

The first of multiple Japanese whiskeys to this list, this one is my all-time favorite blended whisky. Akemi uses the apothecary style bottle to store salt once I’m done.

Notes: Creamy banana, brown sugar, dark plums like the ones you take from your neighbor’s backyard when they’re away in Florida.

#7. KOVAL SINGLE BARREL OAT WHISKEY

From Chicago’s first distillery since prohibition, this 100% oat whisky was a pleasant find while I was searching for its sister bourbon, a delicious 2014 Gold Medal Winner at the International Whisky Competition.

Notes: Silky, floral, oatmeal, maple syrup and cream. Perfect for those mornings when you don’t have time to prepare a proper breakfast.

#6. HIBIKI HARMONY

Another beautifully balanced Japanese blended whisky, this one was gifted to us by director Amanda Tapping and once we were done, I picked up a second bottle to add to our library. Probably one of the most beautiful bottles out there.

Notes: Apricot, orange peels, chocolate, and sunshine. But mostly sunshine.

#5. AUCHENTOSHAN – THREE WOOD

Director Jason Priestley delivered a true beauty in this gorgeous triple-distilled whisky matured in three different casks: bourbon, Oloroso Sherry, and Pedro Ximenez Sherry.

Notes: Dark cherries and chocolate, toffee and toasted oak. Like liquid black forest cake for adults.

#4. BALVENIE PORTWOOD 21 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT

Compliments of Jay Firestone after first season wrap. A handful of us were in the office, enjoying this elegant whiskey when we were joined by about a dozen first-timers, eager to see what all the fuss was about. We poured them each a tumbler of this luxurious slow-sipper – which they all downed in one shot. Lesson learned. From that point on, we always had the backup Ardbeg on standby.

NOTES: Rich and complex, fruit and smoke, cinnamon and raisins, fairy dust and candied unicorn horns.

#3. BALVENIE 14 YEAR OLD CARRIBEAN CASK

We went through multiple bottles of this Ivon Bartok favorite, with its deep golden hue and velvet rum undertones. It’s like a Scottish angel and a Black Seas pirate had a baby, and bottled it.

Notes: Creamy vanilla, mangoes and toffee, rum and rich booty (in all senses of the word).

#2. JEFFERSON’S VERY SMALL BATCH KENTUCKY WHISKEY

I fell in love with this bourbon at Martin Gero’s place that time he ordered the lobster truck for his birthday and I ended up eating a half dozen lobster rolls. Remember? Good times, good times. The Jefferson’s Ocean, gifted to me by my buddy Jeff, is equally amazing.

Notes: Spices, honey, custard, and corn, with a hint of lush presidential pardons.

#1. YAMAZAKI – 18

My all-time favorite (should you be wondering what to get me for my birthday), it was $200 a bottle a few years ago, but today you’d be lucky to find it for double that price. According to Akemi’s mother, its skyrocketing popularity is the result of it having been featured in a Japanese soap opera. Noooo! Why couldn’t it have been the bruichladdich???!!!

Notes: Dark fruit and spice and all the secrets of the universe.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...oud-and-noisy/

November 10, 2017

Photo: Win your Dark Matter swag

Well, this is a lovely article that speaks to what many fans loved about Dark Matter: the characters at the heart of the show…

A Love Letter to the Women of Dark Matter by Paste Magazine’s Frannie Jackson.

“But beyond the Faster Than Light travel and the insane corporate politics, one of the show’s most fascinating elements is that three of its leads are compelling female characters.

And yet Syfy canceled the show this fall, leaving a void in their programming.”

A void most recently filled by Jeepers Creepers 3.

The latest industry buzzword is “loud”. They want shows that “make noise”. So I see their reasoning…I suppose.

Still, I’ll always appreciate how loud and noisy Dark Matter fandom was during our final campaign. Not just on twitter, but everywhere. I’m still amazed that the article that broke news of the cancellation on deadline.com garnered 164 comments, far and away above the average.

And then, there were all these:
    https://www.change.org/p/we-want-dar...share_petition
    http://screenrant.com/dark-matter-se...-fan-campaign/
    https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2017/...it-warp-speed/
    https://www.purefandom.com/2017/09/0...r-full-effect/
    https://www.tvovermind.com/dark-matt...atter-back-air
    http://thathashtagshow.com/2017/09/save-dark-matter/
    https://thenerdrecites.com/saving-da...hashtags-7652/
    https://thenerdrecites.com/how-you-c...k-matter-7564/
    https://www.themarysue.com/reasons-to-save-dark-matter/
    http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/dark...fy-1202545344/
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/syfys-killjoy...ark-1798727148
    http://tvline.com/2017/09/01/dark-ma...syfy-season-4/
    https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ter-cancelled/
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...atter&src=typd
    http://www.criticalhit.net/entertain...final-seasons/
    http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/da...o-season-four/
    http://www.darkhorizons.com/dark-mat...elled-by-syfy/
    http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/09/dar...y-after-3.html
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/mor...celed-by-syfy/
    https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2017/...hundreds-work/
    http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/dark-...nceled-at-syfy
    http://www.cbr.com/syfy-dark-matter-cancelled/
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...oducer-1034638
    http://screenrant.com/dark-matter-cancelled-syfy/
    https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/...three-seasons/
    http://www.avclub.com/syfy-cancels-d...ter-1799113228
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/1/16...atter-canceled
    http://www.thewrap.com/dark-matter-syfy-canceled/
    https://tvserieshub.tv/2017/09/01/da...ter-cancelled/
    https://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/d...-three-seasons
    http://www.starburstmagazine.com/rev...atter-season-3
    http://gearsofbiz.com/dark-matter-ca...-seasons/48997

Seemed pretty LOUD and NOISY to me, but what do I know. I just create, pitch, develop, plot, script, prep, cast, produce, and edit television. I don’t decide what gets ON television.

Hey, we’re getting down to the wire. November 15th is the deadline to get your letters in for a chance to receive some Dark Matter swag.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-getting-told/

November 11, 2017

I fell asleep on the couch and napped for two hours today.

I’m getting more forgetful.

I pulled something doing lunges two weeks ago and now my inability to cut has diminished my confidence in my ability to play the corner position.

Instead of doubling its character limit, I really feel twitter would have been better served by adding an edit function instead.

I prefer the smaller model iPhones instead of the new ones that come with their own backpacks.

My french bulldog Lulu is getting heavier to carry around, but she’s not really getting any heavier.

I find club-decibel level music in retail stores annoying.

The most accessed function on my iPhone is the flashlight app which I use to read restaurant menus.

I think the 2000 and 2003 X-Men movies are far superior to pretty much any Marvel movie produced since (with the possible exception of Deadpool).

Watching Avengers: Age of Ultron was, for me, like watching somebody else play video games for three excruciating hours.

My favorite incarnation of Spiderman remains Gerry Conway’s run on Amazing Spiderman (#111-149).

My “pajamas” consist of a pair of comfy fleece pants and varied anime-themed t-shirts.

I am constantly frustrated by the limit of my laptop’s screen-brightening ability.

I no longer even feign interest in people who dislike dogs.

My bedtime has gotten increasingly earlier as I make time to read before going to sleep. But once a night, I will get out of bed to go downstairs and watch Monday Night Football.

I drink chamomile tea at night

I remember a time before eco-friendly appliances, when dishwashers would actually get all your dishes and cutlery clean – in less than an hour!

I still open doors for people, strike up conversations with complete strangers, and hold the elevator rather than pretend to look away while surreptitiously hitting the “close” button.

I’ve come to the understanding that whiskey isn’t necessarily something you usually enjoy in company.

I’m getting more forgetful.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...with-the-dogs/

November 12, 2017

Photos: Lulu, Suji, Joe Mallozzi

Lulu (10), and Suji (12) may be old timers, but what they lack in mobility they more than make up for in spirit and appetite.

This week, we dropped them of with our new dogsitter, Cynthia, for the day. Step #1 complete. In a couple of weeks, Step #2 will see us drop them off for an overnight stay. If all goes well, we move on to Step #3: Akemi and I go to New York for a couple of days. And, if that goes swimmingly, it’s Japan in January for Le Salon de Chocolat!

The new guests = Lulu and Suji

Lulu discovers a comfy bed.

Suji, as usual, squeezes in.

And ends up squeezing Lulu out – also, as usual.

In preparation for the wintry months ahead, Akemi and I have borrowed a red wagon from our friend Gosia who used to use it wheel around her adorable pug Lucy. We tested it by taking them out for a ride a couple of days ago and the dogs loved it!

And awaaaaaay we go! (Photos courtesy of our friend Nicole).

Alright, I’m off to give them a bath. Wish me luck!

P.S. The latest from Suji’s instagram (click here). 11,700+ followers and counting!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nough-at-last/

November 13, 2017

There are time when I feel like Henry Bemis in the Twilight Zone episode “Time Enough at Last”. The episode focuses on Henry, a bank teller played by Burgess Meredith, who is constantly prevented from doing the one thing he loves most: read. One day, during his lunch break, he retreats to the bank’s vault to get some reading in, only to be knocked unconscious by a concussive blast. He awakens and exits the vault to discover humanity has been wiped out but, in a fortuitous stroke, the public library is still standing. Henry is delighted and, after sorting through countless books and compiling a huge stack, he prepares to get started – only to stumble and break his glasses, preventing him from doing the one thing he loves most of all.

Anyway, not to make too much of it, but there are times when I feel like Henry Bemis. Despite my crazy production schedule for much of the year (I do some of my best reading between set-ups and before turning in for the night), I managed to set a pretty torrid reading pace this year. I figured the show’s cancellation would allow me to get even more reading in but the truth is I’ve been as busy these last couple of months than I was working on Dark Matter’s third season. Still, it looks like I’ll surpass my record of 185 books read in 2014 as I just finished my 185th book of 2017, American Fire: Love, Arson, and Life in the Vanishing Land, a terrific work of non-fiction about the serial arsonists who plagued Accomack County, Virginia back in the fall of 2012. A great read. Sure, on the surface it looks impress, but truth is a good 15% of those 185 titles were graphic novels or novellas.

But looking ahead to composing my list of Best Books of 2017 (which specifically covers books published in 2017, as opposed to my Best Reads of 2017 which covers a more expansive list of books I happened to read in the 2017 calendar year), I realized I really need to pull up my bootstraps if I want to to weigh in with an informed opinion. By my count, of the 185 books I’ve read to date, a mere 67 were published in 2017, and 9 of them were graphic novels. Pretty sad.

In order to expedite things ahead of my spring Best Books of 2017 blog entry (I give myself some leeway to catch up on those late December titles), I put together a list of 2017 titles I still need to get around to between now and said blog entry. The list so far, in no particular order:
    The Lucky Ones by Julianne Pachico

Homesick for Another World by Otessa Moshfegh
    Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood
    The Force by Don Winslow
    The Animators by Kayla Rae Whitaker
    Redfire: A Red Peace by Spencer Ellsworth
    Noumenon by Marina J. Lostetter
    The Cutaway by Christina Kovac
    The River at Night by Erica Ferencik
    Redemption Road by John Hart
    The Last Place You Look by Kristen Lepionka
    The Lightning Men by Thomas Mullen
    A Man of Shadows by Jeff Noon
    Age of Assassins by RJ Barker
    Words on a Bathroom Wall by Julia Watson
    The Stolen Child by Lisa Carey
    Skullsworn by Brian Staveley
    Ferocity by Nicola Lagioia and
    Dark Chapter by Winnie M Li
    The Man in the Tree by Sage Walker
    The Acolyte by Nick Cutter
    My Best Friend’s Exorcism by Grady Hendrix
    The Unseen World – Liz Moore
    She Rides Shotgun – Jordan Harper
    Spaceman of Bohemia, Jaroslav Kalfar
    Quicksand, Malin Persson Giolito
    The Widow of Wall Street, Randy Susan Meyers
    Down City, Leah Carroll
    Book of American Martyrs, Joyce Carol Oates
    Sycamore, Bryn Chancellor
    Startup, Doree Shafrir
    The Destroyers, Christopher Bollen
    Grief Cottage, Gail Godwin
    Strange Contagion, Lee Daniel Kravetz
    To Be A Machine, Mark O’Connell
    The Unit, Ninni Holmquist
    My Absolute Darling, Gabriel Tallent
    If The Creek Don’t Rise, Leah Weiss
    A Kind of Freedom, Margaret Wilkerson Sexton
    Caca Dolce, Chelsea Martin
    Reincarnation Blues, Michael Poore
    Killers of the Flower Moon – David Grann
    Bunk – Kevin Young
    Improvement – Joan Silber
    Whew! Read any of the aforementioned? Thoughts? Are there any I should move to the top of the list? Others I should move down? Let’s hear it, fellow readers!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...lice-of-pizza/

November 14, 2017

We were walking back from my favorite pizza joint, Superpoint on Ossington, last night when we were approached by a somewhat disheveled looking man. “Do you have twenty-five cents for food?”he asked. I recognized him as the same guy we’d passed not two hours earlier on our way to the restaurant.

“Offer him the pizza,”suggested Ivon.

Great idea, I thought.

“Hey!”I called after the man who was already shuffling off. “Want some pizza?” I held up the box of leftovers.

The man stopped and started back at me, stunned, as though I’d just spoken to him in German. A beat and then, with a double wave of his hand, he exhorted me to: “Enjoy. Enjoy.” before continuing on his way.

Hunh. I thought it odd but, not two blocks later, we were approached again, this time by a somewhat disheveled looking woman. “Do you have a dollar for food?”she asked.

“Would you like some pizza?”I offered.

Brow furrowed, she frowned. “No.” Then turned and walked off.

As I watched her go, I couldn’t help but marvel. What are the chances of running into back to back gluten-intolerant transients?

Hey, thanks to those of you who weighed in with reading recommendations. Since uploading yesterday’s list, I started a new book and am about a third of the way through RJ Barker’s Age of Assassins, a terrific fantasy novel about an apprentice assassin tasked with going undercover in a royal court so he can identify and stop another assassin from murdering the young, obnoxious king-in-waiting.

In addition to yesterday’s book list, I need to generate a whole other list for graphic novels. I’ve been presented with a couple of great opportunities to adapt some titles to the small screen and was wondering what YOUR favorites are? No DC or Marvel as they’re already spoken for. Also, as much as Saga rocks, I think it’s unproducable and just perfection in its comic book form.

Also, along these lines, if you’ve got an anime series that you think would make a great live action series (Randomness, I’m sure you’ll have a few suggestions), I’d like to hear them as well!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...e-the-artwork/

November 15, 2017

Photos: Comic books

It’s Wednesday and you know that means?! That’s right. It’s New Comics Day!

I no longer get down to my local comic shop as often as I’d like but, fortunately, my comixology membership allows me to keep up with all of the latest releases (and back issues!), purchase those that catch my interest, and even lets me preview the first few pages of each new issue.

I’ve always loved comic books but, the truth is, with so many titles out there and the oft maddeningly confusing crossovers and big events, it’s hard to keep track. Sure, I have my regular go-to’s but, sometimes, it’s nice to make a new discovery. Usually, this is a result of my wanting to check out an admired writer or favorite character, or, occasionally, being drawn to an intriguing premise. Every so often, however, it’s the art – specifically the cover art that piques my interest. I know, I know. Never judge a book by its cover. Certainly, appreciate the artwork, let it lead you into a new book and, once you’ve appreciated the whole package, THEN judge. But if the cover art catches your eye, why not reward the artist with a purchase?

Here is the first installment of what may (or may not) be a regular blog feature. My Favorite Comic Book Covers of the week:

Star Wars: Darth Vader #8 (cover art by Giuseppe Camuncoli)

I don’t read Star Wars comics. Hell, I haven’t seen a Star Wars movie since halfway through Return of the Jedi. But this is one bad-ass cover with our stripped down Vader looking very zen in the face of a fiery planetary object, his dark accoutrements foreground prisoners of gravity.

Aquaman #30 (cover art by Stjepan Sejic)

Squint and slightly blur your perception, and it’s almost like Jason Momoa is staring back at you through the prison-like bars of Arthur Curry’s trident.

The Mighty Thor #701 (cover art by Russel Dautermann)

I like the way this one play with depth and perception, the fuzzy, unfocused background image of the nameless creature walking way; the shockingly crisp image of a shattered Mjolnir lying abandoned on Bifrost. And, hey, is that blood?!

Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan #2 (cover art by Declan Shalvey)

All the action is left justified, our anti-heroes facing off, blades vs. blades, as their turning structure crumbles and gives way to a prevailing stark white nothingness.

Descender #26 (cover art by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen)

Along those same lines, there’s this minimalist cover that nevertheless conveys so much. Have you ever seen a lonelier looking robot?

Maestros #2 (cover art by Steve Stroce)

On the other side of the spectrum is this audaciously detailed masterpiece that mixes magic, tech, and elements of horror.

The Realm #3 (cover art by Nick Filardi, Jeremy Haun, Kelly Jones, Michelle Madsen)

Speaking of horror, even if you don’t partake in the genre, you have to give it up for this eerie illustration that does a terrific job of evoking a sense of mounting dread through color and light. And, oh yeah, that skull-sporting dude advancing on us.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-shout-outs/

November 16, 2017

Video: How to Buy a Baby

Photos: Suji, The Last Days of Earth

Ideally, I’d like my next show to be either an anime, comic book, novel adaptation – or one featuring dogs in pajamas.

Akemi, meanwhile, has been hard at work designing for her upcoming Suji-themed lapel pin and badge line.

A few shout-outs are in order today:

Marc Bendavid, Dark Matter’s ONE, stars in a new webseries.

How to Buy a Baby is the story of an infertile couple that struggles to conceive with the help of a doctor. And a nurse. And a financial planner. And unsolicited advice from everyone they know.

The six episode miniseries is available to stream online. Check out Episode 1:

ZNation creator Craig Engler has a new project in the works. Check out the link for info on how you can support it:

The Last Days of Earth

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...usy-for-tapas/

November 17, 2017

Photos: Joe Mallozzi, Akemi, dinner at Bar Raval

While I may not be as busy as I was while Dark Matter was in production, I find myself surprisingly busy for someone without a show to run. Most of my days are spent reading comic books and reviewing anime…for work! In addition, I’ve got a little over a half dozen “things” percolating, from being hired to co-develop and write the pilot for a new sci-fi project to angling on four different book-to-screen adaptations. Throw in a couple of very intriguing showrunning opportunities and let’s call it a year. Decisions, decisions. Cannot wait to share the details – and head back into production.

No, scratch that. I can wait a little longer. Enjoying the first real vacation I’ve had in…oh, about 20 years.

Being suddenly free for lunch and dinners has given me the opportunity to enjoy – well, what else? – more lunches and dinners. Recently, we hit up our favorite place for tapas, Bar Raval, with our friend Nicole Tsang (who took all of the following snaps).

The happy (albeit slightly suspicious) couple.

Order from the menu, but always check out the bar for the daily additions.

Akemi’s favorite – the torta (which is like an Italian frittata and all sorts of delicious).

From their conserva section: mackerel and scallops.

The morcilla.

Crispy eggplant with honey.

Croquetas.

And, for dessert, one of everything – as is the custom! Well, the custom when you’re dining with yours truly.

If you’re in town, check it out!

Okay, back to the graphic novels!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-the-scenes/

November 18, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter – behind the scenes

Some behind the scenes photos from the set of Dark Matter‘s third season, compliments of Mean Jean Brophey:

Jean and Anthony from the pilot episode for their buddy cop show.

Downtown at the Ishida Palace.

Our kooky emperor.

Mmmmm. What’s cooking?

Director J.B. Sugar’s red carpet walk.

Grant Boyle in the infirmary for his annual check-up.

Second team: Alyssa Pawlak and Matt Purdy.

First team: Melissa O’Neil and Anthony Lemke.

Jesse Partin grabs some shut-eye between set-ups.

Assassin down in the palace.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-matter-vault/

November 19, 2017

Photos: Dark Matter

Courtesy of Mean Jean Brophey!

Matt Purdy, Jozie Conte, and Kelly Anastasiou – behind the scenes on EOS-7.

Bits and pieces – Episode 304, “All the Time in the World”

Turn off the damn light! Can’t you see Mishka Thebaud is trying to sleep here!

Ready to shoot – Episode 304, “All the Time in the World”.

Our little lady, laid up.

Checking out the weekend weather updates between scenes.

Andrew Moodie (aka Teku Fonsei) = Dinner for one.

Lisa Amaral Wright with the last minute check on the day’s munition facility menu.

Dave Sheridan sets up his next shot from afar.

Anthony Lemke is exhausted after a long day’s shoot.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...7-knock-knock/

November 20, 2017

In the almost eight years she’s been living in Canada, Akemi has mastered many aspects of western culture – its unreliable transportation system, the English language, Beef Wellington – but there’s one uniquely North American oddity she’s yet to grasp: the knock-knock joke. And yet, despite her repeated failures to fully grasp its nuanced set-up and delivery, she keeps trying. Like last night, when she insisted we, once again, go down the knock-knock route. After some reluctance, owing in large part to the fact that my storehouse of knock-knock jokes is almost bare, I conceded. The results were, if not exactly predictable, certainly not that surprising –

“Knock knock,”I said.

“Who’s there?”she asked.

“Boo,”I said.

“Who’s boo?”she asked.

I sighed and explained to her that the correct phrasing of her response should be “Boo hoo?”, thus setting up the classic follow-up: “You don’t have to cry about it.”

A realization seemed to dawn. “So you have to think of something that ends in hoo?”

“Well no – ”

“Like tofu,”she said, pronouncing the “fu” in tofu as she often does, with an “f” so soft it could be misinterpreted for a “hu”. “Or kung-hu?”

“No – ”

“Knock knock,”she said.

“Who’s there?”

“Toe.”

“Toe who?”

She frowned. “It doesn’t really make sense. A better way would be – knock knock?”

“Who’s there?”I asked.

“Something soft,”she replied. “And then you guess tofu. You see?”

Yeah. No. I tried again: “Knock knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Lettuce.”

“Lettuce who?”

“Lettuce in! It’s cold out here?”

She frowned. “Why lettuce?”

“Because lettuce in it’s cold out here.”

She started back at me, genuinely mystified. “That’s not a joke.” Uncomprehending: “That’s funny? That’s not funny. I think my kung-fu joke you didn’t like is better.” And then, after some consideration, a sigh of resignation. “The knock-knock joke – it’s very hard to nail it.”

I don’t even want to get her started on puns.