Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joseph Mallozzi's Blog! (SPOILERS For All SG Shows and Dark Matter)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...horror-movies/

October 27, 2017

Photos: Joe's Top 25 Horror Movie Recommendations

25. SUSPIRA

A German ballet school is the setting for this lurid Italian thriller by giallo master Dario Argento.

24. GREEN ROOM

A young punk band, playing a gig at a remote bar in the Pacific Northwest, run afoul of neo-nazi skinheads.

23. THE ORPHANAGE

A family takes up residence in a former orphanage where their young son makes a most unusual friend.

22. I SAW THE DEVIL

A secret service agent exacts a brutal revenge on the serial killer who murdered his wife.

21. JAWS

“Don’t go into the water” was this movie’s tag line, and after seeing this movie about a man-eating shark terrorizing the beaches of a quaint New England community, I heeded that advice.

20. REC

One of the best entries in the found footage horror sub-genre is this Spanish film about a news crew who end up trapped in quarantine while investigating a viral outbreak in a residential building.

19. SPOORLOOS

A young man embarks on a journey to find out what fate befell his missing girlfriend. In the end, he wishes he hadn’t.

18. SCREAM

A tribute to the classic horror movies of the 70’s has become a classic in its own right.

17. DON’T LOOK NOW

Following the death of their young daughter, a couple visit Venice where a serial killer stalks the canals of the old city.

16. SESSION 9

An asbestos removal crew stumble upon some dark secrets when they are hired to clean up an abandoned mental hospital.

15. THE SIXTH SENSE

A child psychologist makes a connection with a young boy who presumably communicates with the dead.

14. AUDITION

A lonely widower falls for a mysterious young woman.

13. 28 DAYS LATER

Fast-moving zombies stalk the streets of London in this post-apocalyptic thriller.

12. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN

A shy young boy makes the acquaintance of his new neighbor, a mysterious young girl possessed of a harrowing secret.

11. HALLOWEEN

The grandaddy of slasher pics sees an escaped mental patient return to his hometown on Halloween Eve.

10. TRAIN TO BUSAN

Zombies on a train. High octane horror!

9. CARRIE

A young teen, bullied by her classmates, manifests a supernatural revenge on prom night.

8. IT FOLLOWS

A supernatural entity stalks the victims of a sexual curse.

7. ALIEN

A crew on a deep space mission answer a distress call – and invite an unwelcome guest aboard their ship.

6. THE BABADOOK

A widow and her young son are stalked by a monster in a children’s book.

5. THE DESCENT

A group of female spelunkers encounter flesh-eating predators deep underground.

4. RINGU

A cursed videotape delivers a death sentence to all who watch.

3. THE THING

On a remote base in Antarctica, a group of research scientists uncover the frozen remains of an alien entity.

2. THE SHINING

A struggling author experiences writer’s block, in addition to other assorted psychological breaks, while the winter caretaker of the Overlook Hotel.

1. MISERY

Following a car accident, famed author Paul Sheldon is nursed back to health by a woman who professes to be his #1 fan.
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...tle-celebrity/

October 28, 2017

Video: Suji
      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...doughnut-tour/

October 29, 2017

Photos: Doughnut

Welp, I’m L.A.-bound tonight, heading west for one glorious week of general meetings, pitches, and general meetings that will evolve into pitches. To help prep me for all the best Los Angeles has to offer, Dirk Gently Executive Producer Robert C. Cooper was kind enough to forward me the following links:

http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/...ngeles-2381416

https://la.eater.com/maps/best-los-a...ughnuts-donuts

Looks like I might have to blow off a few meetings.

Like I said, most of the meetings will be general meet-and-greets. Sort of along the lines of “Hi, I’m a showrunner with over 350 hours of television to my credit in addition to 100+ hours as a credited writer, all on shows you’ve probably never heard of.” I’ll never forget Rob Cooper’s tale of meeting with a television executive who asked: “Stargate? Did that air in the U.S.?”

Seriously though, I am looking forward to this trip for the doughnuts, the dinners, and the some 10+ hours of flight time and solo nights that will allow me to keep up my torrid reading pace (181 books on the year and counting!) and binge Stranger Things 2.

See you in L.A.!
        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-1/

October 30, 2017

Photos: L.A. Day #1, Vanessa Piazza, Joe Mallozzi, Tauri Jay and Yael, burger

“What do you do?”asked the custom’s agent.

“I’m a writer-producer,”I told him.

“Anything I’ve seen?”

“Well, I worked twelve years on a show called Stargate…”

“Didn’t really watch it. Didn’t really like the way the stories went.”

“Was it the human form replicators?”I wanted to ask. But instead I said: “Well then you can check out my last show, Dark Matter. It’s on Netflix.”

“I don’t do Netflix.”

“Then maybe my next show.”

Which brings us here to L.A. where I will be spending the next six nights with a “privacy” button by my bedside that, when it switched on, bathes the room in an eerie red luminescence that makes me feel like the potential victim in a Mario Bava movie.

The alternate would be NOT to turn it on and risk housekeeping kicking down my door at 7 in the a.m.

This morning, I kicked things off by having breakfast with my new production partner, Vanessa Piazza, who is in town on her own meet-and-greet tour.

I’m pleased to report the weather in L.A. is overcast and downright cool, perfectly mirroring my mood.

Vanessa works on her tan. Brrrrrr.

Following my first meeting of this L.A. trip, I met up with Tauri Jay and Yael (they of the former Dark Matter AfterBuzz show and sundry others).

I ordered sliders. Hilarity ensued…

I offer photographic evidence lest you doubt.

Retired to my room this afternoon where I screened the first episode of Stranger Things 2. So far, so good. Going to try to squeeze in another episode before bedtime.

Tonight, it’s dinner with the lovely Torri Higginson, then drinks with an old friend.

Tomorrow, it’s four more meetings, two of which will touch on material right up my alley…
          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-2/

October 31, 2017

Photos: Torri Higginson, Suji

Last night I had dinner with the lovely Torri Higginson, Dark Matter’s Commander Delaney Truffaut, aka Stargate: Atlantis’s Commander Elizabeth Weir. Since I was on her turf, she got to choose the restaurant, selecting Redbird, Chef Neal Fraser’s flagship restaurant. Apparently, it’s a big deal in foodie circles – and with good reason. It was delicious. Although…there were a few hiccups.

We enjoyed our appetizers, one of those middle plates (not quite appetizer and not quite main) and then chatted while we waited for our main course. And chatted. And waited some more. Eventually, someone came over to apologize. Our main course had been delivered to the wrong table. I was amazed – not so much by the fact that it had gone to the wrong table (after all, accidents happen), but because some other diners had happily accepted, and presumably eaten, a rack of Red Wattle pork they never ordered. The restaurant ended up comping us some prime rib, which was very nice, and while the incident didn’t mar the evening in any way, it did leave me wondering. Seriously? Did they those people simply assume that entire rack of pork was an amuse bouche from the kitchen, a little palate cleanser between the New Zealand John Dory and the Liberty Farms duck?

Anyway, dinner was great, and First and the company was fantastic. The more I get to know Torri, the more I really, really like her.

After dinner, we had drinks with Chris Regina, longtime Dark Matter champion and former executive at that network that rhymes with sci-fi. We had a terrific chat, then met up with former Dark Matter (and future Masked) EP Vanessa Piazza for more drinks and discussion. By the time we wrapped things up, it was almost 1 am!

Then today, it was hotel breakfast with Vanessa and Dark Matter co-creator Paul Mullie. I had the most expensive, but by no means anywhere near the best, avocado toast I’ve ever had in my life, then retired to my room for episode 2 of Stranger Things 2 and a little fantasy football prep.

Several great meetings today but the one that capped off my afternoon was, perhaps, the greatest meeting I’ve had in L.A. I sat down with Nic Louie of Tomorrow Studios (whose upcoming development and production slate includes Snowpiercer, One Piece and, Cowboy Bebop), and spent the better part of an hour touching on everything from comic books to games, anime to science fiction. Nic is quick, incredibly knowledgeable and – bonus! – actually watched Dark Matter. Nic and Tomorrow Studios are, without a doubt, the two coolest things in Hollywood. I mean, that’s it. It can’t get any better. I may as well cancel the rest of my trip and head back home because they’re going to be impossible to top.

Tomorrow…more meetings!

Meanwhile, on the home front, someone got a new sweater!
            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-3/

November 1, 2017

Photos: Marc Bendavid, Miguel

“So what do you guys do?”asked our uber driver.

Joe here is a writer-producer,”said Marc.

“And my friend Mark here is an actor,”I added. “Do you watch t.v.?

“Yeah,”said the driver. “I love The Walking Dead.”

“Who’s your favorite character?”I asked.

“Rick.” And then, after careful consideration: “And Daryl.”

“Yeah, Daryl,”I agreed. “What about Game of Thrones?”

“Yeah,”he said, drawing it out, yeaaaaaaaaah, in a way that seemed to indicate it was an begrudging affirmative. And then he added: “But there’s another show I watch. It’s called Dark Matter…”

At which point Marc totally lost it, wondering aloud whether I’d set the whole thing up. Our bewildered driver glanced back, wondering what the hell was up.

Joe created Dark Matter,”Marc explained.

“And Marc here played the character of ONE.”

“Seriously?!” He could hardly believe it. “I’m about to start season 3.”

“Well I don’t know if you’d heard, but syfy cancelled us,”I informed him.

“What? Why?”

“Why else? They’re evil.”

Upon pulling up to our destination, we hopped out, took some group selfies, and then headed off to dinner.

It was a surreal start to a wonderful evening (as evenings in the company of the princely Marc Bendavid tend to be). I was treated to an incredible Italian meal – appetizers, pastas, and double dessert.

A greatly appreciated cap to a very busy day that saw me do for meetings AND run into actor Ronny Cox (Stargate: SG-1, Robocop, Deliverance, and many many more) at a local diner. Ronny is keeping as busy as ever – acting, performing his music, even writing. He mentioned RoboDoc, a fan-funded documentary celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Verhoeven classic. Watch for it!

Tomorrow – more meetings. And dinner with the awesome Robert Picardo.
              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-4/

November 2, 2017

Here’s my problem with Thai food = eatability. If I got out for any other type of cuisine, I’ll eat until I’m full. In the case of Thai cuisine, however, I’ll continue eating past full, beyond stuffed, and and a stop or two north of gorged. Such was the case this afternoon when I got together with actress Torri Higginson (Stargate: Atlantis, This Is Life, Dark Matter) for yet another culinary excursion. This time, we hit one of her favourites, Jitlada in Silver City, with its menu the size of a local phone book. “What do you feel like?”Torri asked me as we perused.

“Oh, you go ahead and choose between the the frog, eel, ox-tail or any of the other weirder dishes.”

She did not. Instead, we had eggplant with holy basil, soft shell crab and vegetables, and a curry crispy pork dish containing pork that may well have been crispy once but, by the time it was served swimming in curry, was anything but. Oh, and rice. We followed up lunch with dessert in the form of two Thai ice coffees.

It was near the end of my meal that I received an email from my agent’s office. My 3 pm meeting had been cancelled at the last minute. Was I upset? Hell, no! It was the equivalent to a snow day! I could just head back to the hotel and continue watching Stranger Things 2! Which I did. But first…

Torri took me to a nearby book shop specializing in graphic novels. There, I agonized over picking up a copy of Spinning, Tillie Walden’s well-reviewed graphic coming-of-age memoir about competitive ice skating. I’ve heard great things about it and was very tempted but, ultimately, decided against the purchase only because stuffing the book into my carry-on bag would have been the equivalent to forcing those last couple of servings of curry rice into my already jam-to-bursting belly. Hopefully, I’ll find it when I get back to Toronto.

Another day chock a block with meetings tomorrow and then, Saturday, I big L.A. adieu until time…which is looking like January when Vanessa and I return to pitch Masked to some interested parties!
                sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...017-l-a-day-5/

November 3, 2017

Video: Suji

I’ve been a fan of Robert Picardo since back in his days at Star Trek: Voyager’s The Doctor, but I’ve become an even bigger fan of Bob’s over the years as I’ve gotten to know him. A terrific actor and equally terrific human being, he’s a good friend and someone I always make it a priority to catch up with whenever we happen to be in the same town. And such was the case last night when we got together at was has become our L.A. go-to, Spago, for pasta, roast chicken, those delicious little tuna cones, and the booziest sticky toffee cake I’ve ever had (with an extra scoop of vanilla ice cream to maintain that 1:1 cake to ice cream ratio).

In contrast, today’s diet consisted of a double chocolate mocha, a matcha latte, and the red velvet mini cupcake I was offered at my last meeting. Boy, am I looking forward to night’s dinner with Martin Gero and Carl Binder!

Another successful round of meetings today, marred only slightly by a late cancellation which afforded ultimately afforded me the opportunity to take a stroll through Beverly Hills. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this upscale neighbourhood is the street fashion. Today, I saw a guy walking around in what were, essentially, pyjamas. Three nights ago, I honestly couldn’t tell whether the people I passed were dressed for Halloween or just in their every day clothes.

Anyway, great meetings today, a favorite being my sit-down with DC Entertainment’s Dan Evans. Smart, pleasant and a veritable expert on everything from comic books to the SF, fantasy, horror, and crime thriller genres in general, he’s a guy I’d climb a mountain to work with.

Well, that’s a wrap on L.A. Tomorrow, I fly back to Akemi and the dogs. Here’s what I’ve been missing…
                  sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...e-l-a-wrap-up/

November 4, 2017

Photos: Paul and Michelle Mullie, Robert Picardo, Joe Mallozzi

Last night, in addition to enjoying a spectacular meal at Osteria Mozza with Martin Gero, Carl Binder, and Paul and Michelle Mullie, I also got to practice my Japanese by breaking the news to two wayward young tourists that the Paul Smith store was a good 20-30 minute walk from our current location. “Chotto toei desu,”I broke the news.

“Nihon o yoku hanashimasu,”said one. “Jozu.”

“Jozu arimasen,”I replied. And then followed up with: “Heta no yoko zuki desu.” That always gets a laugh.

Anyway, great meal and great company. Martin Gero remains the Golden Boy. How busy is he? Would you believe he did an emergency scene rewrite between the panzanella and his ricotta and egg raviolo?

Some pics from my last days in L.A. –

Paul, Bob, and Michelle.

Paul and Michelle.

Me and Michelle!

All in all, a most productive trip. Met some great people and have a few more intriguing possibilities to add to the mix. Stay tuned!
                    sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-be-home-blog/

November 5, 2017

Photos: Lulu, Suji, Akemi

“Hmmmm. What should I write about today?”

“Nice To Be Home blog?”suggested Akemi. “Only if you feel that way.”

Ooooh. Pressure.

Yes, it’s great to be home. But for how long? And how long will Toronto be home?

Looks like I’ll be heading back down to L.A. in January to pitch Masked. Before then, I’ve got an SF series bible and script (I’ve been hired) to write, and a veritable mountain of material (books, scripts, overviews, and one-pagers) to review and consider across a variety of genres (sci-fi, fantasy, horror, thrillers, comics). The challenge is not so much in working my way through everything but in selecting what I want to focus on because so many of these properties are truly great.

And then, if I’m fortunate enough to attach myself to a pitch that does go to series, there’s the added uncertainty of not knowing where I’ll be shooting. Toronto, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Montreal, New York – they’re all possibilities. But it would be nice to get Japan in the running.

Tomorrow, I have a morning meeting regarding that horror property I’m VERY interested in pursuing.

Then, I get on the phone to discuss the schedule for that SF series bible and pilot. David and I have made great progress. Once we’ve nailed down the narrative and character arcs, we can start thinking about the pilot in advance of getting in the room with Writer X and beating out our story.

More details as they become available!

In the meantime, it’s nice to be home…
                      sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ing-things-up/

November 6, 2017

Video: Bath Chili Festival

Photos: Scoville scale, chilis, powdered pepper

Back when I last visited Montreal, my sister gave me one of the greatest gifts ever: a bunch of Ghost Chilis and Carolina Reapers she’d grown in her garden. I love spicy. Very spicy. Even so, at roughly 1 million Scoville heat units, it proved a bit of a challenge. Tasty, but mind-numbingly hot despite the tiny slivered portions and bagel chasers. The Carolina Reaper, at roughly 2 million Scoville units, was just out of my league. There is hotter, but it’s weapons grade, better suited to crowd control than eating.

Still, inspired by my new haul, I returned home and immersed them in oil and garlic for a week, then oven dried them and ground them into a fine powder using my dedicated coffee pepper grinder. Then, I hit my local farmer’s market and picked up a few more tonsil-ticklers: scorpion chilis, habaneros, chocolate habaneros, fatalis, birds eye chilis, and, of course, those wimpy but no less tasty jalapeños. They all went into the oven at the very lowest setting for the better part of a day, and then each in turn took a spin in the grinder. The results were…magical.

I packed away each powdered pepper in tiny individual plastic containers – perfectly portable for all occasions, although I heeded Akemi’s advice and took the extra step of sealing them in individual poly-bags. I mean, next to dousing your pants with lighter and setting a match to them, I can’t imagine anything more unpleasant than a cracked container sprinkling scorpion chilis down the inner lining of your underwear during dinner.

The Wheel of Fire!

So how high up the Scoville Scale can you climb?
                        sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...-dark-council/

November 7, 2017

“Your writing partner likes to tweet.”

– Pointed observance made by an executive to my long-time writing/producing partner on his recent trip to L.A.

Well, yes and no. No insofar as I hate the 140 character limit and don’t really find twitter a suitable medium for relaying opinions and in-depth information outside of links. But yes in that it’s a terrific way to get the simple facts out like: “Dark Matter was one of Syfy’s most-watched scripted shows of 2017!”.

Still, very sweet of him to notice.

Which reminds me. Amidst all the thank you’s to cast and crew and fans, I neglected my extra special shout-out to the members of the Dark Council, the DM fans behind those Dark Matter FTL Drives that saw our little show trending weeks and days on end.

And so, thank you to…

Hilda Clark Bowen who put in many tireless hours amid the innumerable things she had to juggle in her own life.

Tom Gardiner who fought the good fight and, “coincidentally” had his syfy screener privileges revoked soon after writing an article critical of the show’s cancellation.

Kelli and Lance Zielinski, the dynamic duo and techy twosome who helped lay the groundwork for all those FTL Drives.

Syrine Epiome representing the overseas contingent with a wealth of ideas and some mighty marvelous artwork.

Lo Ren who helped keep the dream alive with some amazing graphics to drive the campaign.

Elise Cochrane, another member of Team Europe, who went above and beyond the call to help spread the word.

Thank you all.
                          sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...y-2014-2017-2/

November 8, 2017

Photos: The Dark Matter Whisky Club

In the three years I worked on Dark Matter, I made some wonderful friends and accomplished many great things, but one of my biggest take-aways from my time on the show was the impressive amount of knowledge and experience I garnered in the world of whiskies. It started back in season 1 after Blindspot Executive Producer Martin Gero gifted Paul and I two bottles of 18 year old Bunnahabhain. Paul, of course, took his bottle back to his hotel room and finished it, solitary style, over the course of a week. I, instead, elected to share my bottle with a few friends – Line Producer Norman Denver, Production Manager Robbie David, Assistant Director Brandon Tataryn, Script Coordinator Alison Hepburn, EP Assistant Elliot Sokolsky, and several others, forming what would become the Dark Matter Whisky Club.

Norman followed up by bringing in a bottle of his favorite 16 year old Lagavulin and, soon, others followed suit. Over the course of those three seasons, we sampled a variety of whiskies, from the simply superb to the truly terrible, averaging about 17 bottles a season. Whenever Norman sounded the wolf call, we all knew it was time and we gathered for our daily libation.

The Dark Matter Whisky Club – A Short Visual History (2014-2017:

A little something from Golden Boy Martin Gero to commemorate our first day of principal photography.

Archival photo of one of the very first meetings of the Dark Matter Whisky Club.

Director Amanda Tapping joins the club – Episode 104.

Director Ron Murphy joins our ranks – Episode 106.

Welcoming Director Bruce McDonald into the fold – Episode 109.

2nd A.D. Grant Boyle with his contribution – a little taste of home.

Actor Anthony Lemke becomes a member – Episode 109.

He later returns with his own contribution – a bottle of Prince Edward County’s finest.

While main unit is on the road, Whisky unit stays true – Elliot, Matti, Trevor, and Alison.

Director Ron Murphy returns for more whisky – and, oh yeah, to shoot another episode (109).

You can tell the club was in its infancy by how few empty bottles adorned the top of that shelving unit.

Executive Producer Paul Mullie comes for a visit, and a drink.

A youthful Brandon Tataryn comes bearing gifts.

And another little something from Mr. Boyle.

Director and Stunt Coordinator John Stead graces us with his presence – and a bottle of 17 year old Craigellachie.

Elliot unconvinced by The Glenrothes.

Trevor Finn presents: Basil Hayden’s and Old Rip Van Winkle.

Co-Executive Producer Ivon Bartok vs. Jura Superstition: Round 1.

Director Andy Mikita knows the drill.

Motoring through the season – and making progress on the whisky front.

The ranks continue to swell.

Visual Effect Supervisor Lawren Bancroft-Wilson with the assist from Dalwhinnie.

Celebrating the season 1 finale – and a season’s worth of whisky.

And that’s a wrap on season 1.

The after-party.

Season 2 resumes in force!

Pick your poison, and glassware.

Key Hair Renee Chan – Balvenie.

1st A.d. Chris Binney – Balvenie.

Director Amanda Tapping – Hibiki Harmony.

Script Coordinator Alison Hepburn – Angel’s Envy.

Key Grip Chris Toudy – Aultmore.

I am immortalized.

Director Jason Priestley in the mix – Episode 207.

He came prepared.

Director Andy Mikita’s two-handed return – Episode 208.

The ever dainty – Director Peter Deluise, Episode 209.

Not to be outdone.

Director Will Waring – pineapples and Dalwhinnie, Episode 212.

And that’s a wrap on season 2!

A toast to season 3!

Director Ron Murphy sets the tone.

And Robbie David follows up.

Actor Roger Cross with the Yamasaki.

John Stead sports a new look – and delivers a new bottle.

Season 3 nears and end.

Kicking back with the After Dark gang.

Saying goodbye to the production offices was hard, but bidding farewell to that veritable army of fallen soldiers was downright heartbreaking…
                            sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...rite-whiskeys/

November 9, 2017

Photos: Whisky

In the three years that the Dark Matter Whisky Club was in operation, 2014-2017, I sampled a wide variety of whiskeys, over a hundred in all. These were my favorites…

#10. WRITER’S TEARS

Appropriate, no? Line Producer Norman Denver contributed this ironic Irish entry, a blend of single malt and single pot-stilled whiskeys, triple-distilled and non-peated. My favorite Irish Whiskey.

Notes: Warm honey, fruit, vanilla and the long sweet finish of artistic anguish laced with leprechaun gold.

#9. LAGAVULIN 16

Another Norman Denver contribution, we enjoyed multiple bottles owing to the fact that it is, clearly, one of his favorites. I can drink Lophgraig, which my former writing partner, Paul, likens to smoking a pack of cigarettes, but the peatiness here is present without being overpowering.

Notes: Peat, pineapple, oak, and a touch of that leather belt you took off to go through airport security and subsequently didn’t realize you’d left behind until you’d already boarded your flight.

#8. NIKKA FROM THE BARREL

The first of multiple Japanese whiskeys to this list, this one is my all-time favorite blended whisky. Akemi uses the apothecary style bottle to store salt once I’m done.

Notes: Creamy banana, brown sugar, dark plums like the ones you take from your neighbor’s backyard when they’re away in Florida.

#7. KOVAL SINGLE BARREL OAT WHISKEY

From Chicago’s first distillery since prohibition, this 100% oat whisky was a pleasant find while I was searching for its sister bourbon, a delicious 2014 Gold Medal Winner at the International Whisky Competition.

Notes: Silky, floral, oatmeal, maple syrup and cream. Perfect for those mornings when you don’t have time to prepare a proper breakfast.

#6. HIBIKI HARMONY

Another beautifully balanced Japanese blended whisky, this one was gifted to us by director Amanda Tapping and once we were done, I picked up a second bottle to add to our library. Probably one of the most beautiful bottles out there.

Notes: Apricot, orange peels, chocolate, and sunshine. But mostly sunshine.

#5. AUCHENTOSHAN – THREE WOOD

Director Jason Priestley delivered a true beauty in this gorgeous triple-distilled whisky matured in three different casks: bourbon, Oloroso Sherry, and Pedro Ximenez Sherry.

Notes: Dark cherries and chocolate, toffee and toasted oak. Like liquid black forest cake for adults.

#4. BALVENIE PORTWOOD 21 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT

Compliments of Jay Firestone after first season wrap. A handful of us were in the office, enjoying this elegant whiskey when we were joined by about a dozen first-timers, eager to see what all the fuss was about. We poured them each a tumbler of this luxurious slow-sipper – which they all downed in one shot. Lesson learned. From that point on, we always had the backup Ardbeg on standby.

NOTES: Rich and complex, fruit and smoke, cinnamon and raisins, fairy dust and candied unicorn horns.

#3. BALVENIE 14 YEAR OLD CARRIBEAN CASK

We went through multiple bottles of this Ivon Bartok favorite, with its deep golden hue and velvet rum undertones. It’s like a Scottish angel and a Black Seas pirate had a baby, and bottled it.

Notes: Creamy vanilla, mangoes and toffee, rum and rich booty (in all senses of the word).

#2. JEFFERSON’S VERY SMALL BATCH KENTUCKY WHISKEY

I fell in love with this bourbon at Martin Gero’s place that time he ordered the lobster truck for his birthday and I ended up eating a half dozen lobster rolls. Remember? Good times, good times. The Jefferson’s Ocean, gifted to me by my buddy Jeff, is equally amazing.

Notes: Spices, honey, custard, and corn, with a hint of lush presidential pardons.

#1. YAMAZAKI – 18

My all-time favorite (should you be wondering what to get me for my birthday), it was $200 a bottle a few years ago, but today you’d be lucky to find it for double that price. According to Akemi’s mother, its skyrocketing popularity is the result of it having been featured in a Japanese soap opera. Noooo! Why couldn’t it have been the bruichladdich???!!!

Notes: Dark fruit and spice and all the secrets of the universe.
                              sigpic

Comment

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...oud-and-noisy/

November 10, 2017

Photo: Win your Dark Matter swag

Well, this is a lovely article that speaks to what many fans loved about Dark Matter: the characters at the heart of the show…

A Love Letter to the Women of Dark Matter by Paste Magazine’s Frannie Jackson.

“But beyond the Faster Than Light travel and the insane corporate politics, one of the show’s most fascinating elements is that three of its leads are compelling female characters.

And yet Syfy canceled the show this fall, leaving a void in their programming.”

A void most recently filled by Jeepers Creepers 3.

The latest industry buzzword is “loud”. They want shows that “make noise”. So I see their reasoning…I suppose.

Still, I’ll always appreciate how loud and noisy Dark Matter fandom was during our final campaign. Not just on twitter, but everywhere. I’m still amazed that the article that broke news of the cancellation on deadline.com garnered 164 comments, far and away above the average.

And then, there were all these:
                                https://www.change.org/p/we-want-dar...share_petition
                                http://screenrant.com/dark-matter-se...-fan-campaign/
                                https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2017/...it-warp-speed/
                                https://www.purefandom.com/2017/09/0...r-full-effect/
                                https://www.tvovermind.com/dark-matt...atter-back-air
                                http://thathashtagshow.com/2017/09/save-dark-matter/
                                https://thenerdrecites.com/saving-da...hashtags-7652/
                                https://thenerdrecites.com/how-you-c...k-matter-7564/
                                https://www.themarysue.com/reasons-to-save-dark-matter/
                                http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/dark...fy-1202545344/
                                http://io9.gizmodo.com/syfys-killjoy...ark-1798727148
                                http://tvline.com/2017/09/01/dark-ma...syfy-season-4/
                                https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...ter-cancelled/
                                https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...atter&src=typd
                                http://www.criticalhit.net/entertain...final-seasons/
                                http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/da...o-season-four/
                                http://www.darkhorizons.com/dark-mat...elled-by-syfy/
                                http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/09/dar...y-after-3.html
                                http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/mor...celed-by-syfy/
                                https://www.threeifbyspace.net/2017/...hundreds-work/
                                http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/dark-...nceled-at-syfy
                                http://www.cbr.com/syfy-dark-matter-cancelled/
                                http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...oducer-1034638
                                http://screenrant.com/dark-matter-cancelled-syfy/
                                https://www.gateworld.net/news/2017/...three-seasons/
                                http://www.avclub.com/syfy-cancels-d...ter-1799113228
                                https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/1/16...atter-canceled
                                http://www.thewrap.com/dark-matter-syfy-canceled/
                                https://tvserieshub.tv/2017/09/01/da...ter-cancelled/
                                https://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/d...-three-seasons
                                http://www.starburstmagazine.com/rev...atter-season-3
                                http://gearsofbiz.com/dark-matter-ca...-seasons/48997

Seemed pretty LOUD and NOISY to me, but what do I know. I just create, pitch, develop, plot, script, prep, cast, produce, and edit television. I don’t decide what gets ON television.

Hey, we’re getting down to the wire. November 15th is the deadline to get your letters in for a chance to receive some Dark Matter swag.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X