Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragon Con - Aug 31-Sep 3, 2007

Dates: Aug 31-Sep 3 2007

Michael Shanks, Lexa Doig, Christopher Judge and Alexis Cruz have been announced as guests at the 2007 Dragon*con.

Full details (and tickets) at the Official Dragon*con website:

http://www.dragoncon.org

--thanks to the http://www.michaelshanks-online.com for the tip

Originally posted by prion View Post
    Dates: Aug 31-Sep 3 2007

Michael Shanks, Lexa Doig, Christopher Judge and Alexis Cruz have been announced as guests at the 2007 Dragon*con.

Full details (and tickets) at the Official Dragon*con website:

http://www.dragoncon.org

--thanks to the http://www.michaelshanks-online.com for the tip

Since I've never been to Dragon Con before, do they usually add more people as they get closer to the event like Creation does? Or is that it?
    Visit me on http://wormholeriders.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
      Since I've never been to Dragon Con before, do they usually add more people as they get closer to the event like Creation does? Or is that it?
      Lots!
      sigpic

Comment

All the hotel rooms are sold out?
        *THUNK*

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own."- Adam Savage

Cassidy- "Go ahead, Munch, rain on my parade."
        Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Comment

Originally posted by Space Monkey52 View Post
          All the hotel rooms are sold out?
          all the rooms at the Marriot are sold out, I prefer the Hyatt

http://web.mac.com/doqtaj/iWeb/Site/Choice-award.html
          *holds out hankie* excuse me, does this smell like chloroform to you?

Comment

I was just told that they haven't started doing hotels yet.
            *THUNK*

Munch- "I don't just want to rain on your parade, I want to blow up all the floats."

Comment

So apparently the hotel stuff is going to go up sometime in January. I still have to figure out if I can go to the con.
              *THUNK*

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
                There are scores of guests, ranging from media to literary to music to costumers to...

To get a sense of what to expect, check out the official website. Be sure to note if the page itself says 2006 or 2007. At this point in time, most of the pages are from the 2006 con.

The DragonCon History link will give you a sense on how the con developed.

If you go to The Daily Dragon, the newsletter that is published and distributed during the con, you will find some drop down menus at the top of the page. Under "Schedule Information" you can still download the 2006 Pocket Program. There you will see the wealth of things to do and people to meet.

My kind of guy:
                "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Does anybody know if any of the guests who have been announced so far will be doing photo ops? I heard that the creation contract that keeps them from doing that at other cons on applies to areas where there are Creation cons and there are none in the Dragon Con area.
                  *THUNK*

Comment

This thread kind of died...
                    *THUNK*

Comment

Originally posted by Space Monkey52 View Post
                      This thread kind of died...
                      Well, it's it's still over a half year away. Some of us have other cons to think about before prepping for that one.

I haven't heard that Creation had an exclusive on photo ops for a given area. That doesn't seem right. What I can believe is that Creation might have a contract clause saying a guest can't make another appearance in the same area as a Creation con for a limited period, say 3 months. That way, people won't hold off going to another con because of cheaper prices.

Creation has put some cons out of business, or forced them to change their guest list, by scheduling their own conventions just before another convention, but just outside the window so they can't be accused of having an exclusive. But who would go to a con when they just saw that guest 3 months ago? Well, I would if I liked the guest, but I'm the exception. Many people are satisfied with just one appearance a year, or even just once ever.

DragonCon has traditionally not had official photo ops. They've hung on to this a lot longer than other cons, and I applaud them for it. You get your photo while you get your autographed signed. You didn't pay extra for this privilege, it was thrown in when you paid for the autograph. Not everyone wants a photo. Autographs for most guests has been $20 for quite some time. Psychologically, it's hard to get people to fork over more than one physical $20 bill unless you're a big name. In order to make more money, but not seem like they're charging more, guests have started to charge for the "leaning across the table" photos.

At DragonCon 2006, Rachel Luttrell and Torri Higginson had "official" photo ops. These were scheduled before the convention opened for the day. It's been a while, but I believe the charge was $50, less if you had pre-ordered. I think this was just the photo, an autograph wasn't included. At the autograph tables, you had to pay $25 for an autograph, $5 more than what most others were charging. The other Stargate guests, like Kavan Smith, Bill Lee, and Claire Rankin, charged just the expected $20 for their autographs and you got to take a photo with them at their table.

Times are changing and maybe at DragonCon 2007 they'll be more of the separate photo ops and less of the "at the table" photos. Frankly, I like the table shots better. You have your negative, whether film or digital, and can make copies or fix the lighting when it prints. At photo ops, you generally just get a hard copy. If the printing is bad, you're stuck with it. With a photo op, you have to be there on their schedule. If there's something else you want to attend, you have to make a choice.

My kind of guy:
                      "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
                      Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
                      (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Comment

Thanks for the info!

I just really hope I can go. I'm visiting my college in Florida sometime before Feb 18th so I should know by then whether I can attend or not. I really hope I can. I see that the Phelps twins have been added to the guest list.
                        *THUNK*

Comment

One of the things I love about DC is the autograph room. It's so friendly, and there are hardly ever any lines. You can just go up and talk to them and they'll sign stuff for you and take pictures with you and it's great. I hate the formal stuff like the book signings and photo sessions cause the lines are so long and they rush you through.

I'm trying to save enough money to come down this year, I've been twice and it's the funnest experience. Is there a gateworld group that usually tries to meet up and have dinner or anything?
                          It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Whohoo! I'm getting to go! Now I need a costume... Anyone know where I can get one of the black jackets they wear in Atlantis?
                            It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

I can go! I get monday Sept. 3rd off, which means I can fly back sunday night and have all day monday to do homework! I just hope I don't get too much...
                              *THUNK*

Comment

Working...
                              X