Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Stargate: Horizon Executive Producer & Creator Alex Rubit's Avatar
    At Chuck's... shooting some pool with the guys.

Default Major Announcement Regarding Season Three... Coming Soon!

A couple of days ago Mike mentioned something about an ambitious proposal on my part regarding Season Three. I'm proud to say that at this point it's very certain that we'll be seeing this little development come to life.

So brace yourselves for a major announcement headed your way before the end of the month. Maybe we'll let it out as a special Christmas surprise; or maybe sooner than that, if we can't wait any longer.

I'm posting it this early mainly to get some discussion going, and perhaps see if you can guess just what in the world this could be about. I'll say that it's not directly story related. Is it indirect related to stories? Maybe.

So let the discussions and/or speculations begin. Feel free to ask questions about it as well. All questions (except for the question of what this announcement will be) will be answered.
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Default Re: Major Announcement Regarding Season Three... Coming Soon!

I can't think of anything more major than pitching the series to MGM or making it a machinima.

Probably MGM licensed or something.

Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Would that make it officially canonical?

Chief Master Sergeant Marcus117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
    Probably MGM licensed or something.
    I'd be really upset if that happened.

Firstly it would close off the actual series possibilities and it would exclude a large segment of fans who don't want to read scripts from knowing every bit of Stargate fiction.

Secondly it would further damage the community. No offense to the good people at Horizon, but their series already over shadows all others just because it has a place on GateWorld and is endorsed by it - an endorsement by MGM would fully kill Destiny and any other series.

Thirdly I can't imagine any reason why they would endorse it. Horizon is a quality Virtual Series - yes, but it's still only a Virtual Series - I seriously doubt it's reader numbers rank anywhere close to the thousands, and I also doubt it comes to the hundreds. Not because I think the series is bad, I enjoy it greatly, but because it's still only a Virtual Series, a medium that has yet to make it big.

Also, I actually don't believe it's that big at all... it's more likely something along the lines of a prose adaptation of some episodes, or even a name change/full spin-off.

After all the thread title says it regards Season Three, not the Series.

Interesting. We wanted some speculations, and there they are. Not exactly what I was expecting, but pretty interesting suggestions.

But MGM has nothing to do with this actually. It's really just a little something that I think fans will enjoy just as much as we're enjoying it, or I should say as we will enjoy it.
    Last edited by Alex Rubit; December 4th, 2006 at 06:04 AM.

You're going to use voice clips from all the actors/actresses that have been virtually cast for Horizon, and put them together to form audio versions of the episodes?

Now, I was going to go down the audio route... but finding decent voice actors and sound effects guys so that you can pull off such a thing is a massive undertaking.

For some reason I don't think Horizon would be able to get the talent together. No offense meant, but writing a script and acting it are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia View Post
    Would that make it officially canonical?
    No... only things shown in the episodes or films are considered 100% canonical... some information can be gleamed from the scripts, such as character and planet names, but thats unusual and doesn't happen too often.

Sorry for the double post by the way...

Stargate: Horizon Staff Writer SierraGulf1's Avatar

Hmmm, I have a feeling that with all this speculation of major stuff you might be let down by the actual announcement.
    Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
    Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
    Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
    Stargate Destiny, Fan
    Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGulf1 View Post
    Hmmm, I have a feeling that with all this speculation of major stuff you might be let down by the actual announcement.
    Isn't that always the case with life?

What about a comic book/artwork addition, although that would slow dow production a lot...unless you have a whole room of very intelligent monkeys scribbling away as the episode is typed. So, Alex, is it a room full of monkeys?

My guess is Horizon the movie. Do a virtual movie set sometime, maybe even regard a dropped or unexplored aspect of season three. But I thnk a Horizon movie wouldn't be bad.

No mid-season break?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus117 View Post
    No mid-season break?
    That would be truly sweet, just continue the show.

Chief Master Sergeant Wineblood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGulf1 View Post
    Yep, I'm getting that feeling too. Alex made it sound too grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wineblood View Post
    Yep, I'm getting that feeling too. Alex made it sound too grand.
    There is no problem in over selling a product. Especially when you are the exec to the product.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus117 View Post
    No mid-season break?
    Pretty much actually, at least compared to last season. There'll only be a five week break between the end of January and March.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Goddess View Post
    What about a comic book/artwork addition, although that would slow dow production a lot...unless you have a whole room of very intelligent monkeys scribbling away as the episode is typed. So, Alex, is it a room full of monkeys?
    Even though that's not what I was referring to here, something along those lines may very well be coming to life before the season ends. So technically, pretty soon there'll be even more monkeys than there already are now. And there's lots of monkeys around here. One of them is just climbing up my shoulder, in fact.

I guess perhaps we should toss out a new clue, and see if anyone will start figuring it out.

It has something to do with the number two. And the reason we're doing it is mainly because that way we can better service this large cast of ours. You'll be seeing that this season there'll be a lot of character development for all of the characters, in my oppinion more than in the previous two seasons; and that was quite a lot already. That wasn't necessarily intended, but that's just my honest impression. I think we're starting to find that the show works best when we have episodes focusing on one or two particular characters; i.e. a Grant episode, Callen episode, Sivea episode, etc. That's something we'll be starting to see a lot, especially in the second half of the season. And the trick is to juggle that with what you could consider a team episode. But I think the nature of this show is a little different, in that we may see less episodes focusing on the entire team, but on one particular character, or a group of particular characters.

I've found the longer a show runs, the better you'll start to get to know it (that goes for myself as well). And my current feeling is that the show will start to really take off with the latter half of this season, which is what happens a lot. By the time a show hits Season Four, it's usually smooth sailing. The reason for that being that the people making the show know it a lot better than they did during say Season One.

But we'll be starting to see it moving in that direction before the second half of the season, of course; especially with episodes like "My Enemy's Enemy" or "Resurfacing." They're more character oriented episodes (character oriented, not quiet character oriented), while "Trepidation" is much more of an old fashioned Stargate episode - the team going off through the gate to a new planet.

Now, what I'm leading up to is that to juggle such a huge cast (especially if it's a character driven show), it's beneficial to XXXX XX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX!

So I'm afraid it has nothing to do with voice recordings of episodes; it would be fun, but in my mind the voice actors would have to sound a lot like the voices of the virtual cast, as those are the voices in my head.

However, like I said, we will most definitely be seeing progress in the visuals department later this season as well. In fact, we already have a great concept for those infamous aliens who make their first appearance in "Resurfacing."

Anyway. Number two? More ways to develop the various characters? What do you think it could be? Something tells me we can't wait too much longer until we finally unveil this secret.